** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread **

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,585

Re: ** Official 2024 Make or Break Offseason Thread ** 

Post#821 » by youngcrev » Thu May 9, 2024 1:19 am

eyeatoma wrote:
FireMorey wrote:I don't put a lot of stock into the numbers, they're wrong quite often.

I think Butler is a better option than PG if he can be had for a fair price. Better playoff performer, better defensive player, better ball handler, better off the ball. May not be the shooter PG is, but I don't care about that much, I'd rather have someone who can put the ball on the floor, create, and finish in traffic. And I think he has better intangibles. Sure he misses games, but that's the NBA. The league is a joke, everyone misses games.

I think in general Butler will age better too. He's a nut about keeping in shape and working out.

PG can't really create his own shot or generate separation as much as he used to.

Problem is we likely give up all our capspace, and a bunch of our picks for him, preventing us from building a quality bench and starting roster that is not heavily dependent on the big 3.

Well, yeah. But you'd have an awesome big 3, which allows you to get away with lesser role players. Whether it's Jimmy or PG, you're looking at about 15M + the 8M room exception to add to the roster. After that you need the value finds for the minimum. Feels pretty doable, particularly when you're not desperate for guys that can create their own shot.
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,594

Post#822 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 1:21 am

youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
FireMorey wrote:I don't put a lot of stock into the numbers, they're wrong quite often.

I think Butler is a better option than PG if he can be had for a fair price. Better playoff performer, better defensive player, better ball handler, better off the ball. May not be the shooter PG is, but I don't care about that much, I'd rather have someone who can put the ball on the floor, create, and finish in traffic. And I think he has better intangibles. Sure he misses games, but that's the NBA. The league is a joke, everyone misses games.

I think in general Butler will age better too. He's a nut about keeping in shape and working out.

PG can't really create his own shot or generate separation as much as he used to.

Problem is we likely give up all our capspace, and a bunch of our picks for him, preventing us from building a quality bench and starting roster that is not heavily dependent on the big 3.

Well, yeah. But you'd have an awesome big 3, which allows you to get away with lesser role players. Whether it's Jimmy or PG, you're looking at about 15M + the 8M room exception to add to the roster. After that you need the value finds for the minimum. Feels pretty doable, particularly when you're not desperate for guys that can create their own shot.

We always say those minimums are doable and we suck at them. God knows Morey woulnd't be able to get someone like Drummond who we need. In the end, when we build a roster like this our rebounding will suck and we've been horrific at it for years when Embiid goes to the bench.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,264

Post#823 » by ProcessDoctor » Thu May 9, 2024 1:29 am

Snotbubbles wrote:
ProcessDoctor wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

This is such a good plan, far better than let's play Russian Roulette with the 3 musketeers of the tales form the crypt (PG/Jimmy/Kawhi).

I do think we can do a much better job and try and get someone like Caruso instead of Melton. Melton is done IMO. Very hard to rely on someone with a bad back. He's closer to retiring then being a big member of a championship team.

I’d be down for Caruso. He’s cost more picks though. That’d be our whole cupboard on Murray and Caruso. Plus, with Maxey and Murray we’d really only need about 30-32 mpg of backup guard play. Assuming Payne or Lowry can handle 12-15, we don’t need to break the bank for the rest of the minutes.

Caruso interests me. I wanted the Sixers to go after Caruso and Drummond at the TDL.

I love him in a Paul George cap space scenario.

1. #16 + two 2nds for Alex Caruso
2. Paul George max
3. Kyle Anderson with remaining cap space
4. Oubre with MLE
5. Payne, X, and Drummond vet mins

Maxey/Payne
Caruso/Council
George/Oubre
Anderson/X
Embiid/Drummond

Would need someone to step up to for that 8th playoff rotation player but the foundation is there. Would still love to have Melton back, despite the injury concerns. He’s an ideal 3rd guard imo.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,700

Post#824 » by FireMorey » Thu May 9, 2024 1:31 am

eyeatoma wrote:
FireMorey wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

16 and a couple 2nd agents it done. Enough picks left to still make more trades down the road.

Riley won't do that, he'd only likely do a trade if it gets him Mitchell in a 3 way.

Don't agree, especially if Jimmy makes it known he's unhappy. He'll have no choice. Unhappy stars virtually always get traded and almost always for a price not ideal to the team who trades them. Pat Riley is going to have to eat it this summer unless he pays up. That's just the reality.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#825 » by youngcrev » Thu May 9, 2024 1:31 am

eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

We always say those minimums are doable and we suck at them. God knows Morey woulnd't be able to get someone like Drummond who we need. In the end, when we build a roster like this our rebounding will suck and we've been horrific at it for years when Embiid goes to the bench.

Do we? I feel like we got more playoff production out of our minimum guys than the role players we were actually paying. Oubre and Lowry were arguably their 3rd and 4th best players. And they got more out of Cam Payne than they did Buddy.

Melton - injured
Covington - injured
Reed - awful series
Tobias - lol
Buddy - couldn't get on the floor

Batum is the one guy you actually get your money's worth.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#826 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 1:32 am

FireMorey wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
FireMorey wrote:
16 and a couple 2nd agents it done. Enough picks left to still make more trades down the road.

Riley won't do that, he'd only likely do a trade if it gets him Mitchell in a 3 way.

Don't agree, especially if Jimmy makes it known he's unhappy. He'll have no choice. Unhappy stars virtually always get traded and almost always for a price not ideal to the team who trades them. Pat Riley is going to have to eat it this summer unless he pays up. That's just the reality.

Sixers can't afford to wait for that. By the time that **** goes down the summer will be over, and we'll be praying for Jimmy in September when all the possible trades and free agents are gone. A hold out takes a long time, it's not a 1 month things which is the absolute max timeline we can afford. In fact that will be too long, we will be talking about 2-3 days or 2 weeks max to get the players we need if we don't go for George/LeBron/Butler.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#827 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 1:34 am

youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:

Do we? I feel like we got more playoff production out of our minimum guys than the role players we were actually paying. Oubre and Lowry were arguably their 3rd and 4th best players. And they got more out of Cam Payne than they did Buddy.

Melton - injured
Covington - injured
Reed - awful series
Tobias - lol

Lowry was terrible the last 2 games, Oubre was okay for a few, and Buddy gave us one good quarter. Paul Reed who was supposed to be the person to solve this, was non-existant. Cam Payne isn't helping your rebounding, none of the players you listed do. My point is, we need to line the team with athletes who can either shoot or rebound.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,700

Post#828 » by FireMorey » Thu May 9, 2024 1:38 am

eyeatoma wrote:
FireMorey wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Sixers can't afford to wait for that. By the time that **** goes down the summer will be over, and we'll be praying for Jimmy in September when all the possible trades and free agents are gone. A hold out takes a long time, it's not a 1 month things which is the absolute max timeline we can afford. In fact that will be too long, we will be talking about 2-3 days or 2 weeks max to get the players we need if we don't go for George/LeBron/Butler.

It'll happen very fast. Likely by draft night.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#829 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 1:41 am

FireMorey wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:
FireMorey wrote:

It'll happen very fast. Likely by draft night.

IF that happens great, I doubt it though. Riley isn't an idiot.
youngcrev
RealGM

Post#830 » by youngcrev » Thu May 9, 2024 2:01 am

eyeatoma wrote:
youngcrev wrote:
eyeatoma wrote:

Melton - injured
Covington - injured
Reed - awful series
Tobias - lol

Lowry was terrible the last 2 games, Oubre was okay for a few, and Buddy gave us one good quarter. Paul Reed who was supposed to be the person to solve this, was non-existant. Cam Payne isn't helping your rebounding, none of the players you listed do. My point is, we need to line the team with athletes who can either shoot or rebound.

My point is they've done decently well getting contributions out of minimum salary players (definitely don't suck at it like you said). To the point that you were arguably getting more from those guys than you did from the combined $98.1M paid out to Harris, Hield, Covington, Melton, and Batum.

I think it's a lot easier to manufacture depth when you've got 3 legitimate stats that can all carry lineups.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#831 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Thu May 9, 2024 3:12 am

Signing PG or Butler is dumb. Go all in on trading for Ingram. Resign Oubre. That's how we should rebuild.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,804

Post#832 » by 76ciology » Thu May 9, 2024 3:35 am

What if we absorb Draymond Green’s $26M contract?

For the Warriors, they have Kuminga, Trayce, and possibly even re-sign Dario to replace Draymond.

Draymond is in the 98th percentile for defense in DPM. The NBA allows him to handle all the dirty work, and he can even open up opportunities for shooters like Hield and Maxey. He can anchor the defense with or without Embiid, alleviating some a lot of defensive responsibility for Embiid. He is a PROVEN playoff performer. I also believe he holds significant value if the NBA continues to call fouls as they do now.

The downside is that he turns 34 next year, which is similar to Paul George or Jimmy Butler. Additionally, he isn’t a reliable shooter, but with Hield and Maxey he would have a lot of value as a screener.

By adding him, there's suddenly value in re-signing Hield. We can also pursue the Ingram trade (who he can share ball handling responsibility), resulting in a potential roster of:

Starting 5:
Maxey
Hield
Ingram
Draymond
Embiid

6th man:
Possibly Oubre, Payne, and others.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 206

Post#833 » by davesilver » Thu May 9, 2024 3:49 am

76ciology wrote:What if we absorb Draymond Green’s $26M contract?

For the Warriors, they have Kuminga, Trayce, and possibly even re-sign Dario to replace Draymond.

Draymond is in the 98th percentile for defense in DPM. The NBA allows him to handle all the dirty work, and he can even open up opportunities for shooters like Hield and Maxey. He can anchor the defense with or without Embiid, alleviating some a lot of defensive responsibility for Embiid. He is a PROVEN playoff performer. I also believe he holds significant value if the NBA continues to call fouls as they do now.

The downside is that he turns 34 next year, which is similar to Paul George or Jimmy Butler. Additionally, he isn’t a reliable shooter, but with Hield and Maxey he would have a lot of value as a screener.

By adding him, there's suddenly value in re-signing Hield. We can also pursue the Ingram trade (who he can share ball handling responsibility), resulting in a potential roster of:

Starting 5:
Maxey
Hield
Ingram
Draymond
Embiid

6th man:

Don't love the guard defense. Hield hasn't proven he can do anything yet with the starting lineup. Draymond is old as you mention and becoming a liability for the team stability-wise. Ingram is empty calories imo. Still, I think that team would be dynamic and pretty interesting. We might need a Draymond to get us through the Knicks of the league
76ciology
RealGM

Post#834 » by 76ciology » Thu May 9, 2024 4:06 am

davesilver wrote:
76ciology wrote:What if we absorb Draymond Green’s $26M contract?

Starting 5:
Maxey
Hield
Ingram
Draymond
Embiid

6th man:

Don't love the guard defense. Hield hasn't proven he can do anything yet with the starting lineup. Draymond is old as you mention and becoming a liability for the team stability-wise. Ingram is empty calories imo. Still, I think that team would be dynamic and pretty interesting. We might need a Draymond to get us through the Knicks of the league

To unlock the potential of off-ball shooters like Reggie Miller, Ray Allen, or Steph Curry, you need an exceptional screener (also known as a player whom the league gives the green light or who knows how to set effective screens). I believe Draymond and Ingram can facilitate the off-ball scoring of both Maxey and Hield.

During non-Embiid minutes, we can have Maxey running off-ball plays with Draymond or engaging in the two-man game with Ingram.

I see Ingram as someone comparable to KP or Wiggins, where playing with more talented teammates can make him a more efficient scorer and better defender. Ingram (and Oubre) can also execute lethal backdoor cuts (with Maxey, Hield and Biid’s gravity towards the perimeter) for Draymond to pass the ball to.

Defensively, the length of Ingram, Draymond, and Embiid almost guarantees that we will become one of the best defensive teams in the league.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#835 » by 76ciology » Thu May 9, 2024 4:08 am

I'm not an expert with the cap, but it seems to me that Draymond Green and the Warriors are the best trade partners for absorbing contracts using our cap. I doubt teams like the Pistons or Magic would be interested in absorbing Draymond’s contract.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#836 » by 76ciology » Thu May 9, 2024 4:11 am

And when Embiid sitout games..

Maxey Hield Oubre Ingram Draymond

I think that 5 can beat most teams in the regular season to get us one of the top seeds in the east.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#837 » by SixthStreet » Thu May 9, 2024 5:08 am

Draymond is the best high-ish salary guy I've seen floated in this thread. But I cannot fathom the Warriors trading him. It doesn't have to do with whether they can replace him. They probably can but it will anger Curry. They won't risk it.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#838 » by 76ciology » Thu May 9, 2024 6:10 am

SixthStreet wrote:Draymond is the best high-ish salary guy I've seen floated in this thread. But I cannot fathom the Warriors trading him. It doesn't have to do with whether they can replace him. They probably can but it will anger Curry. They won't risk it.

It appears that the Warriors have been gradually replacing Draymond as their central hub, with CP and perhaps Podz taking on the passing responsibilities for Draymond.

Perhaps the Warriors will choose to prioritize re-signing Klay over retaining Draymond.
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 355

Post#839 » by Jhawk03 » Thu May 9, 2024 8:03 am

Just give me Bridges and Ball and throw everything at Charlotte so they can take the OKC route in peace because they can get away with it just like OKC did.
eyeatoma
RealGM

Post#840 » by eyeatoma » Thu May 9, 2024 8:32 am

Jhawk03 wrote:Just give me Bridges and Ball and throw everything at Charlotte so they can take the OKC route in peace because they can get away with it just like OKC did.

Ball is a no go, another injury prone star, but Bridges a piece of ****. I'd rather go the healthy root.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers