ImageImageImage

Game 5: Knicks (3-1) vs. Sixers (1-3) | Tue Apr 30 7.00 pm. TNT

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,873

Re: Game 5: Knicks (3-1) vs. Sixers (1-3) | Tue Apr 30 7.00 pm. TNT 

Post#501 » by stormi » Wed May 1, 2024 9:46 am

Kova wrote:If there's anything we got from this season - we got the future. Tyrese Maxey. I'm now okay with any outcome of this series.

As much as I love Joel, he doesn't have what Maxey has in big games. No quit, take it on himself, find the way, no matter what. Relentless. He IS THE FRANCHISE.

This is needed transitionary role for him.

Even while hobbled Embiid is still statistically our most impactful player however, I think we've all identified at this point that there are certain critical game states that he just isn't comfortable operating.

If he's able to regain his mobility this summer, at his best self I envision him in a 2019-esque role where his focus is being an efficient ~20(s) point scorer (rather than a 30 point scorer) off of Butler (/Maxey) and while most importantly providing DPOY caliber anchoring.

The roster this summer should be constructed as such.
Kolkmania
Analyst
And1: 1,669

Post#502 » by Kolkmania » Wed May 1, 2024 10:14 am

Agree. Hopefully this is a key moment in the career of Embiid that allows him to transition in a secondary option during clutch situations and focus on being the best defensive player in NBA.

Let's not forget that Maxey is still too limited in the halfcourt to create consistent offense for a championship contender. But I'm way more comfortable with giving Maxey the time and repetition to develop those skills instead of sticking with the Embiid-centric offense of the past 7 years. Too much of a disadvantage of operating from the post and he simply lacks composure and coordination to overcome those challenges.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#503 » by sixers4real » Wed May 1, 2024 10:25 am

:rockon:

I am so happy I made a game thread yesterday
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#504 » by sixers4real » Wed May 1, 2024 10:43 am

sixers4real wrote:Okay now, it’s my third game thread in 9,5 years I’m here.

The record is 2-0. Both were after we got Harden.

The last one was when we beat the Knicks on the road in the second Harden game as a Sixer.

So.
We are 100% when I make a game thread.
We are 100% when I make a game thread when the Sixers play in New York.

I live in Moscow, game is 2 am to me, but this is the first time I’ll watch the Sixers live since game 7 in Boston 2023.

In Sixers I still trust! Let’s go!

P.S. for those who know me and wondering if I got some German beer, of course I do! :D

So sweet reading that and opening another German beer. Holidays in Russia!

I love you guys! (Except trolls)
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,786

Post#505 » by 76ciology » Wed May 1, 2024 11:04 am

sixers4real wrote:
sixers4real wrote:Okay now, it’s my third game thread in 9,5 years I’m here.

The record is 2-0. Both were after we got Harden.

The last one was when we beat the Knicks on the road in the second Harden game as a Sixer.

So.
We are 100% when I make a game thread.
We are 100% when I make a game thread when the Sixers play in New York.

I live in Moscow, game is 2 am to me, but this is the first time I’ll watch the Sixers live since game 7 in Boston 2023.

In Sixers I still trust! Let’s go!

P.S. for those who know me and wondering if I got some German beer, of course I do! :D

So sweet reading that and opening another German beer. Holidays in Russia!

I love you guys! (Except trolls)

You have to make the next two
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 856

Post#506 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed May 1, 2024 11:17 am

Kolkmania wrote:Agree. Hopefully this is a key moment in the career of Embiid that allows him to transition in a secondary option during clutch situations and focus on being the best defensive player in NBA.

Let's not forget that Maxey is still too limited in the halfcourt to create consistent offense for a championship contender. But I'm way more comfortable with giving Maxey the time and repetition to develop those skills instead of sticking with the Embiid-centric offense of the past 7 years. Too much of a disadvantage of operating from the post and he simply lacks composure and coordination to overcome those challenges.

Embiid also lacks the visible display of fire and will to win that we so easily saw out of Maxey after he hit the logo three last night, for example. That’s critical at those times as well because it’s highly inspirational for the entire team when it needs it and stands in stark contrast to Embiid’s typically lethargic appearance. That energy took them right into the overtime period where they continued to be fueled by it.

Imagine the movie “Braveheart” for example where Mel Gibson’s character is ho-hum and lethargic. That doesn’t work when you’re fighting a war and you need a leader to inspire the troops.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 856

Post#507 » by Ferry Avenue » Wed May 1, 2024 11:23 am

76ciology wrote:Oubre also made some big shots with his cuts to the basket, one of which was that pass from Batum in OT, and the other was when he quickly scored almost falling to the floor in 4th.

Embiid also made an and-1 runner at the 1:40 mark. If we can have Embiid playing good defense, rebounding well, and being a plus on offense, that could be the biggest difference-maker in this era of the process. He just needs to learn how to pace himself. I think fewer foul-baiting drives will allow him to have more energy on the defensive end.

Overall, we just have to watch the tape and figure out how to clean up those turnovers and easy baskets we gave up down the stretch. Then Embiid has to keep taking his 'pacing' to the next level; that’s going to put him on the same level as guys like Jokic and Giannis in the playoffs.

At one point last night I was yelling at the TV to just have Embiid play good defense and leave the offense to the rest of the team, because it was clear Embiid was a liability on that side of the court. He was basically losing the game.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#508 » by 76ciology » Wed May 1, 2024 12:00 pm

Ferry Avenue wrote:
76ciology wrote:Oubre also made some big shots with his cuts to the basket, one of which was that pass from Batum in OT, and the other was when he quickly scored almost falling to the floor in 4th.

Embiid also made an and-1 runner at the 1:40 mark. If we can have Embiid playing good defense, rebounding well, and being a plus on offense, that could be the biggest difference-maker in this era of the process. He just needs to learn how to pace himself. I think fewer foul-baiting drives will allow him to have more energy on the defensive end.

Overall, we just have to watch the tape and figure out how to clean up those turnovers and easy baskets we gave up down the stretch. Then Embiid has to keep taking his 'pacing' to the next level; that’s going to put him on the same level as guys like Jokic and Giannis in the playoffs.

At one point last night I was yelling at the TV to just have Embiid play good defense and leave the offense to the rest of the team, because it was clear Embiid was a liability on that side of the court. He was basically losing the game.

The TOs were brutally demoralizing
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,538

Post#509 » by Jailblazers7 » Wed May 1, 2024 12:15 pm

stormi wrote:can't sleep. just replaying this sequence on loop in my head. this **** means something to me

Read on Twitter

Our sweet smiling boy has turned into a playoff motherf*cker.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#510 » by 76ciology » Wed May 1, 2024 12:46 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

:lol:
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,097

Post#511 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 12:58 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:What Maxey did at the end of the 4th is RIGHT there with what Miller did to them.

The one big difference is that Miller was Public Enemy #1 then, going at it with Spike Lee and the fans while pulling off that miracle finish. Not to take a single thing away from Maxey's performance, but the exact equivalent would have been Embiid doing it here.

Except that Miller won the game with FT's, and didn't make anything like the logo 3 that Maxey hit to tie the game. Although Miller's second 3 after the turnover right in front of Lee was an all-time moment. Like you said, both endings were incredible and on the same side of the same court.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#512 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 1:01 pm

Negrodamus wrote:I wonder if the end of game situation showed Embiid that the writing is on the wall and it's time to crown Maxey as the superstar of this team.

The beauty of it was that Embiid, for all the criticism he gets, clearly understood the situation and handed the keys to Maxey down the stretch. The proverbial 'passing of the torch', if you will.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#513 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 1:17 pm

76ciology wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Benching Lowry was key. Need to play bigger with Batum instead. Helps our rebounding and shooting.

I would even try Hield again instead of letting Lowry torpedo our offense.

Agree about benching Lowry this game. And Nurse is again superb in adjusting quickly.

Melton also didnt see the court in today’s game. I thought Melton was one of the reason why our non-embiid minutes sucked in G4

I’d probably still start Lowry, but be open in playing more Batum minutes and also be open in again letting Hield get some burn.

This is the huge difference between Nurse and Glenn. We were knocking some of the decisions (starting Tobias, too much Lowry, no rest for Embiid, etc.), but Nick was masterful in game 5 in low key adjustments - going small ball instead of Reed, no Lowry down the stretch - and in the huge way of giving the ball to Maxey in the biggest spots and asking Embiid to defer. Embiid's defense in OT was as big a factor as Maxey in the win.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#514 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 1:20 pm

brannigan73 wrote:Its sad Buddy can't even get on the court in these games. He is going to be be getting a gigantic pay cut this offseason. Melton is a sad story he was having his best season when he got hurt.

Not sure why, but I still think that Buddy might make his mark before this series is over.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#515 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 1:26 pm

stormi wrote:can't sleep. just replaying this sequence on loop in my head. this **** means something to me

Read on Twitter

In this day and age of pro athletes, Maxey is beyond a rarity, and he's ours.

And to reiterate (yet again), there were many on here who were adamant about trading Maxey for some mercenary or other, even as recently as this year before the deadline.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,809

Post#516 » by the_process » Wed May 1, 2024 1:28 pm

mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:
Arsenal wrote:Benching Lowry was key. Need to play bigger with Batum instead. Helps our rebounding and shooting.

I would even try Hield again instead of letting Lowry torpedo our offense.

Agree about benching Lowry this game. And Nurse is again superb in adjusting quickly.

Melton also didnt see the court in today’s game. I thought Melton was one of the reason why our non-embiid minutes sucked in G4

I’d probably still start Lowry, but be open in playing more Batum minutes and also be open in again letting Hield get some burn.

This is the huge difference between Nurse and Glenn. We were knocking some of the decisions (starting Tobias, too much Lowry, no rest for Embiid, etc.), but Nick was masterful in game 5 in low key adjustments - going small ball instead of Reed, no Lowry down the stretch - and in the huge way of giving the ball to Maxey in the biggest spots and asking Embiid to defer. Embiid's defense in OT was as big a factor as Maxey in the win.

I'm not sure Nurse asked Jo or Jo just recognized it was Maxey's game. Either way, his defensive focus and offensive deference was awesome in OT. I hope beyond all hope that Joel understands that is a far better way for him to play.
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#517 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed May 1, 2024 1:32 pm

Amazing game by Maxey, he is clearly our best player and the face of the franchise.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#518 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 1:35 pm

Kolkmania wrote:Agree. Hopefully this is a key moment in the career of Embiid that allows him to transition in a secondary option during clutch situations and focus on being the best defensive player in NBA.

Nurse's ball movement offense with Embiid, Maxey, one more shot creator, and some legit floor spacers who can defend is the answer. We don't need another "superstar", but Morey's job should be locating players who might be available who have underachieved in their current spots and can be had for less than a king's ransom. Follow the Nuggets blueprint.

I wouldn't mind at all if he couldn't find the right answers this summer and filled the roster with salary that could be moved before the deadline with picks for more impactful players. It's all about having the roster in place for a playoff push. The worst move would be a desperation play for a "star" that limits or cripples any future movement.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant

Post#519 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 1:40 pm

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
76ciology wrote:

I'm not sure Nurse asked Jo or Jo just recognized it was Maxey's game. Either way, his defensive focus and offensive deference was awesome in OT. I hope beyond all hope that Joel understands that is a far better way for him to play.

In listening to Nick's post game comments, it sounds like he was calling those high P&R's for Maxey and kind of putting the game in his hands. Also Maxey's comment about Hield telling him to stay focused after the missed FT's. But there's no doubt Jo saw what was going on and deferred to Maxey. To me, we saw what could be the future here.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,809

Post#520 » by the_process » Wed May 1, 2024 1:48 pm

mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

In listening to Nick's post game comments, it sounds like he was calling those high P&R's for Maxey and kind of putting the game in his hands. Also Maxey's comment about Hield telling him to stay focused after the missed FT's. But there's no doubt Jo saw what was going on and deferred to Maxey. To me, we saw what could be the future here.

If so, then it just got brighter. Even if they end up losing this series still.

Maxey being an AS is already beyond his 95% draft expectation. The idea that this kid might very well be a legit #1 superstar is insane.

Remember Raptors fans wanted him as a throw in for Lowry? And were still arguing about how it would've been a good deal as recently as preseason this year? :lol: :lol:

Return to Philadelphia 76ers