mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,092

Re: Game 5: Knicks (3-1) vs. Sixers (1-3) | Tue Apr 30 7.00 pm. TNT 

Post#521 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 1:51 pm

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:
I'm not sure Nurse asked Jo or Jo just recognized it was Maxey's game. Either way, his defensive focus and offensive deference was awesome in OT. I hope beyond all hope that Joel understands that is a far better way for him to play.

In listening to Nick's post game comments, it sounds like he was calling those high P&R's for Maxey and kind of putting the game in his hands. Also Maxey's comment about Hield telling him to stay focused after the missed FT's. But there's no doubt Jo saw what was going on and deferred to Maxey. To me, we saw what could be the future here.

If so, then it just got brighter. Even if they end up losing this series still.

Maxey being an AS is already beyond his 95% draft expectation. The idea that this kid might very well be a legit #1 superstar is insane.

Remember Raptors fans wanted him as a throw in for Lowry? And were still arguing about how it would've been a good deal a recently as the beginning of this year? :lol: :lol:

Hey, there were many here (you included?) who were ready and willing to include him in deals for some mercenary or other. The Lillard stuff blew my mind then, and still does.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,808

Post#522 » by the_process » Wed May 1, 2024 1:58 pm

mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
In listening to Nick's post game comments, it sounds like he was calling those high P&R's for Maxey and kind of putting the game in his hands. Also Maxey's comment about Hield telling him to stay focused after the missed FT's. But there's no doubt Jo saw what was going on and deferred to Maxey. To me, we saw what could be the future here.

Maxey being an AS is already beyond his 95% draft expectation. The idea that this kid might very well be a legit #1 superstar is insane.

Remember Raptors fans wanted him as a throw in for Lowry? And were still arguing about how it would've been a good deal a recently as the beginning of this year? :lol: :lol:

Hey, there were many here (you included?) who were ready and willing to include him in deals for some mercenary or other. The Lillard stuff blew my mind then, and still does.

Yes, Maxey is somewhere in like the 98th percentile now already of career development based on his draft profile. In other words, he has far, far exceeded any reasonable projections. It goes without saying guys do not hit that level very often. So you'll have to excuse if some of us were willing to trade him previously. :lol:

As far as Lillard specifically, I think that was more an expectation of what Morey would do. Because I still think to this day that if Portland would've said "we'll trade Lillard for Maxey" in the summer, Morey would've pulled the trigger.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,033

Post#523 » by Negrodamus » Wed May 1, 2024 2:04 pm

It’s kinda crazy to think Maxey fell so far. He was a blue chip recruit who has shown he could take over games with the ball in his hands. The part that none of us have access to pre-draft is the interviewing process and getting the feel for him as a person. How could 20 teams walk away from an interview with him and not, at minimum, like him? I think the 3FG% scared teams way too much.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,792

Post#524 » by Sixersftw » Wed May 1, 2024 2:19 pm

Negrodamus wrote:It’s kinda crazy to think Maxey fell so far. He was a blue chip recruit who has shown he could take over games with the ball in his hands. The part that none of us have access to pre-draft is the interviewing process and getting the feel for him as a person. How could 20 teams walk away from an interview with him and not, at minimum, like him? I think the 3FG% scared teams way too much.

Covid. If the tournament is held that year, there is absolutely no way he slides. We weren't great that year but UK would have made it through a few rounds.

Oddly, Its the only draft I have ever did pretty good on. I Felt good about Tyrese x2. In a game of blindly guessing, I'm your boy.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,615

Post#525 » by Iverson Armband » Wed May 1, 2024 2:24 pm

the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:
the_process wrote:

Yes, Maxey is somewhere in like the 98th percentile now already of career development based on his draft profile. In other words, he has far, far exceeded any reasonable projections. It goes without saying guys do not hit that level very often. So you'll have to excuse if some of us were willing to trade him previously. :lol:

As far as Lillard specifically, I think that was more an expectation of what Morey would do. Because I still think to this day that if Portland would've said "we'll trade Lillard for Maxey" in the summer, Morey would've pulled the trigger.

Exactly.

Not saying I would have traded him for Lowry, but if anyone was predicting we’d see THIS Maxey 2 years ago, well that would have just been good old fashioned homerism sprinkled with a pinch of wishful thinking. If someone wants to break their arm to pat themselves on the back for “predicting” Maxey would literally be a one-off basically once in a generation case, congratulations I guess.

This kind of goes to then Ben Simmons thing a bit. There were people who wanted him gone way before he pulled the stunts he pulled; claiming they could see he was never going to improve, diva, etc. Ultimately, they were 1000% correct, but it would have been crazy and unrealistic to trade Ben Simmons two years in to his career after the start he had even with all of the red flags. And just like how, gloating about being right several years later would be extremely lame.
always a jump shot away.
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 190

Post#526 » by 9th Wonder » Wed May 1, 2024 2:25 pm

I would like to see some Muscala OKC jerseys at WFC for Game 6, please and thank you.
Iverson Armband
Starter
And1: 1,615

Post#527 » by Iverson Armband » Wed May 1, 2024 2:26 pm

9th Wonder wrote:I would like to see some Muscala OKC jerseys at WFC for Game 6, please and thank you.

:lol:
always a jump shot away.
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,262

Post#528 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed May 1, 2024 2:28 pm

I still can’t believe what I saw from Maxey
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#529 » by sixers4real » Wed May 1, 2024 3:05 pm

76ciology wrote:
sixers4real wrote:
sixers4real wrote:Okay now, it’s my third game thread in 9,5 years I’m here.

The record is 2-0. Both were after we got Harden.

The last one was when we beat the Knicks on the road in the second Harden game as a Sixer.

So.
We are 100% when I make a game thread.
We are 100% when I make a game thread when the Sixers play in New York.

I live in Moscow, game is 2 am to me, but this is the first time I’ll watch the Sixers live since game 7 in Boston 2023.

In Sixers I still trust! Let’s go!

P.S. for those who know me and wondering if I got some German beer, of course I do! :D

So sweet reading that and opening another German beer. Holidays in Russia!

I love you guys! (Except trolls)

You have to make the next two

Getting ready for that. I’ll create one once I’m sober lol
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,785

Post#530 » by 76ciology » Wed May 1, 2024 3:30 pm

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

This was a great move of Nurse
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,785

Post#531 » by 76ciology » Wed May 1, 2024 3:31 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:
9th Wonder wrote:I would like to see some Muscala OKC jerseys at WFC for Game 6, please and thank you.

:lol:

In RTRS they mentioned about having a Muscala statue bigger than Wilt’s in WFC :lol:
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Tony Franciosa
Sixth Man
And1: 980

Post#532 » by Tony Franciosa » Wed May 1, 2024 3:41 pm

please tell me ESPN had a camera on Steven A during the end of 4Q and all of OT. I need to see his tears.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,555

Post#533 » by GoSixersBro » Wed May 1, 2024 4:24 pm

A question to ask ourselves. If we never paired Maxey with Harden, would Maxey be what he is today?

Whether James knew it or not, he was Master Splinter all along.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
Bum Adebayo
General Manager
And1: 4,074

Post#534 » by Bum Adebayo » Wed May 1, 2024 4:29 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:
the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Exactly.

Not saying I would have traded him for Lowry, but if anyone was predicting we’d see THIS Maxey 2 years ago, well that would have just been good old fashioned homerism sprinkled with a pinch of wishful thinking. If someone wants to break their arm to pat themselves on the back for “predicting” Maxey would literally be a one-off basically once in a generation case, congratulations I guess.

This kind of goes to then Ben Simmons thing a bit. There were people who wanted him gone way before he pulled the stunts he pulled; claiming they could see he was never going to improve, diva, etc. Ultimately, they were 1000% correct, but it would have been crazy and unrealistic to trade Ben Simmons two years in to his career after the start he had even with all of the red flags. And just like how, gloating about being right several years later would be extremely lame.

Nope, because assessing character is one of the most important things. In the case of Simmins, it was plain evident this dude was a diva with poor attitude and refusal to improve.
Displaying the right emotions, attitude and leadership is the path to victory. With the Simmons of the world, only pain and misery await.
kriss73
Analyst
And1: 1,819

Post#535 » by kriss73 » Wed May 1, 2024 4:39 pm

Tyrese Maxey: "I'm gonna give a quick shoutout to Buddy Hield, because I was on the bench and I was really upset. Missed 3 free throws, turned the ball over. Buddy Hield grabbed me and said 'listen dude, you know what you can do, go out and make up for it'. I really appreciate Buddy for that—"

Finally, we found a productive way to use Buddy.
Adam Silver wrote:"Gross incompetence is acceptable; strategic gaming of a flawed system is not."
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,960

Post#536 » by Mik317 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:08 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:A question to ask ourselves. If we never paired Maxey with Harden, would Maxey be what he is today?

Whether James knew it or not, he was Master Splinter all along.

goes back further

If Fultz "panned" out we wouldn't have traded him to Orlando.
If Ben didn't want out....Maxey would probably had of been traded for Harden.
#NeverGonnaBeGood
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,092

Post#537 » by mjkvol » Wed May 1, 2024 5:12 pm

Iverson Armband wrote:
the_process wrote:
mjkvol wrote:

Exactly.

I don't agree with you guys. Simmons never showed any improvement over his first 2-3 seasons, the belief in him was because of his physical attributes and being fooled by some off season vids of him shooting. His potential was through the roof, but the signs that he wasn't going to do the work to improve his weaknesses were already there.

Maxey showed marked improvement year to year playing for an idiot who kept changing his role, and clearly had an otherworldly work ethic. The leaps he took from rookie to second year to third year along with his attitude and love of playing here and that work ethic gave a strong indication that he was only going to get better. You just don't trade homegrown kids with star qualities who want to play in a city like this that is not a free agent draw. That is never going to be a winning move.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,960

Post#538 » by Mik317 » Wed May 1, 2024 5:21 pm

I never like trading our homegrown youth and will always overrated the **** out of them lol.

I still think Doug held Evan Turner back yo
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Post#539 » by Murray_17 » Wed May 1, 2024 6:34 pm

Read on Twitter
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,258

Post#540 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:29 pm

76ciology wrote:Oubre also made some big shots with his cuts to the basket, one of which was that pass from Batum in OT, and the other was when he quickly scored almost falling to the floor in 4th.

Embiid also made an and-1 runner at the 1:40 mark. If we can have Embiid playing good defense, rebounding well, and being a plus on offense, that could be the biggest difference-maker in this era of the process. He just needs to learn how to pace himself. I think fewer foul-baiting drives will allow him to have more energy on the defensive end.

Overall, we just have to watch the tape and figure out how to clean up those turnovers and easy baskets we gave up down the stretch. Then Embiid has to keep taking his 'pacing' to the next level; that’s going to put him on the same level as guys like Jokic and Giannis in the playoffs.

Embiid was terrible passing the ball out of double teams late in the fourth , this time Maxeys amazing shooting and little bit of luck saved his ass but he can’t be this bad again if the Sixers want to force game 7

I was thinking about it from Nurse perspective and there is no good option for him , he sit Embiid in fourth for whole 2 minutes and defense collapsed, he got him back quickly and Embiid was a turnover machine prob due to not enough rest

What struck me the most it was first 7 minutes of this game , Embiid was fresh then , yet Sixers and Knicks were forcing bad shots , why not go to Embiid then ? You could’ve easily lead in first by 15-20 points the way Knicks was playing

All beside Maxey have to be better this time to have a chance , and close the Turnpike , Garden State Parkway , to many Knicks fans in your arena :lol:

Return to Philadelphia 76ers