ImageImageImage

Game 5: Knicks (3-1) vs. Sixers (1-3) | Tue Apr 30 7.00 pm. TNT

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

brannigan73
Rookie
And1: 652

Re: Game 5: Knicks (3-1) vs. Sixers (1-3) | Tue Apr 30 7.00 pm. TNT 

Post#541 » by brannigan73 » Wed May 1, 2024 7:37 pm

Negrodamus wrote:It’s kinda crazy to think Maxey fell so far. He was a blue chip recruit who has shown he could take over games with the ball in his hands. The part that none of us have access to pre-draft is the interviewing process and getting the feel for him as a person. How could 20 teams walk away from an interview with him and not, at minimum, like him? I think the 3FG% scared teams way too much.

His numbers were not great at Kentucky particularly his 3pt shooting. That being said Kentucky players almost always pan out and frequently exceed pro projections. See Maxey and Bam as prime examples. Murray and SGA and Herro as well to a lesser degree since they are all lottery picks but Murray and SGA turned out better then many new numbers ones over the years.
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,033

Post#542 » by Negrodamus » Wed May 1, 2024 7:57 pm

brannigan73 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:It’s kinda crazy to think Maxey fell so far. He was a blue chip recruit who has shown he could take over games with the ball in his hands. The part that none of us have access to pre-draft is the interviewing process and getting the feel for him as a person. How could 20 teams walk away from an interview with him and not, at minimum, like him? I think the 3FG% scared teams way too much.

His numbers were not great at Kentucky particularly his 3pt shooting. That being said Kentucky players almost always pan out and frequently exceed pro projections. See Maxey and Bam as prime examples. Murray and SGA and Herro as well to a lesser degree since they are all lottery picks but Murray and SGA turned out better then many new numbers ones over the years.

Gotta look at the form, FT%, willingness to shoot threes, circumstance of the role before making a judgement on the 3pt shot. 83% from FT, his form was solid, 3rd option on offense, ball was in Hagans hands mostly.... I mean, it was a tough go for Maxey at UK in terms of highlighting his ability.
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 842

Post#543 » by zaz102 » Wed May 1, 2024 9:40 pm

Remember a few weeks ago when that one Nets fan poster came in and said we were biased in thinking Maxey was anything more than a sixth man AFTER fans, media, and coaches voted him to the all-star game.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,075

Post#544 » by Sixerscan » Wed May 1, 2024 9:51 pm

Maybe some weird rumor went around on draft night? I remember him being considered a pretty solid lock to go lotto with a chance of him going top 10. Like it seemed like he was thought of as pretty clearly ahead of other guards like Kira Lewis or Cole Anthony and then teams just took them over him.

It was also 2020 so who knows if the interviewing process was especially bad. Haliburton is another guy that you would think would interview great and fell.
ArksNetsSince99
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,258

Post#545 » by ArksNetsSince99 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:19 am

zaz102 wrote:Remember a few weeks ago when that one Nets fan poster came in and said we were biased in thinking Maxey was anything more than a sixth man AFTER fans, media, and coaches voted him to the all- star game.

Wasn’t me , I taunted you all about Harden , but in the hindsight I was right in most of my comments :lol:
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,332

Post#546 » by Murray_17 » Thu May 2, 2024 12:33 am

zaz102 wrote:Remember a few weeks ago when that one Nets fan poster came in and said we were biased in thinking Maxey was anything more than a sixth man AFTER fans, media, and coaches voted him to the all-star game.

There is the infamous "Achiuwa has more potential than Maxey" on the raptors board and a similar one on the Knicks board about how Quickley was better but was being wasted by Thibs.

Lot of bad comparisons
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#547 » by SixthStreet » Thu May 2, 2024 3:56 am

phillynative wrote:We need a 40-50 piece from Maxey because we already know what Tobi and Embiid are going to do.

Check. :lol:
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,786

Post#548 » by 76ciology » Thu May 2, 2024 5:44 am

Nobody really expected Maxey to perform this exceptionally well. The only person I know who had high expectations for him is Kobblehead, and I doubt even he foresaw this level of success.

Daryl Morey himself acknowledged Maxey has exceed his expectations.

I also believe that Maxey benefits significantly from playing alongside Embiid, particularly when Embiid sets screens. This creates a lot of value because the defense can't easily switch, and the opposing center typically resorts to drop coverage, giving Maxey ample space to execute pull-up shots. This starkly contrasts with Maxey's performance when playing with Paul Reed, where we see a noticeable decline in his game.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,095

Post#549 » by mjkvol » Thu May 2, 2024 1:17 pm

76ciology wrote:Nobody really expected Maxey to perform this exceptionally well. The only person I know who had high expectations for him is Kobblehead, and I doubt even he foresaw this level of success.

I also believe that Maxey benefits significantly from playing alongside Embiid, particularly when Embiid sets screens. This creates a lot of value because the defense can't easily switch, and the opposing center typically resorts to drop coverage, giving Maxey ample space to execute pull-up shots. This starkly contrasts with Maxey's performance when playing with Paul Reed, where we see a noticeable decline in his game.

There are a few of us here who saw the potential that Maxey had given his work ethic and continued year to year improvement. I still don't see him as a "#1", if by that we're talking about a Jordan/Kobe type of player who can take an entire series over single handedly. But playing off another 'star' like Embiid, and with a rotation of complimentary players, there's no reason to look at games like the other night as outliers.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,960

Post#550 » by Mik317 » Thu May 2, 2024 2:59 pm

The best part of Maxey is that he fits seamlessly next to a multitude of players. His off ball work is almost elite atm and his on ball stuff is coming along too. He may never be the guy you build the whole program around (which I don't think works in the modern nba anyway)but just being able to fit next to a ball dominant guy and not be a bystander is underrated
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Eyeamok
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,474

Post#551 » by Eyeamok » Thu May 2, 2024 3:04 pm

76ciology wrote:Nobody really expected Maxey to perform this exceptionally well. The only person I know who had high expectations for him is Kobblehead, and I doubt even he foresaw this level of success.

Well maybe John did.

The Accession of Paul Reed is upon us !

Bring on the draft

You want it to be one way....but it's the other way.

Marlo
mksp
Analyst
And1: 2,493

Post#552 » by mksp » Thu May 2, 2024 10:14 pm

Some hits, some misses here from the draft crowd:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2018583&hilit=Maxey&start=320
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,033

Post#553 » by Negrodamus » Fri May 3, 2024 12:04 am

mksp wrote:Some hits, some misses here from the draft crowd:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=2018583&hilit=Maxey&start=320

Negrodamus wrote:Well, they didn't blow it, but it could have been better. Maxey will be nice for us.

Phew, bad take but could've been waaaay worse from me. Wasn't a huge Maxey fan at the time.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,960

Post#554 » by Mik317 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:52 am

lol RJ Hampton

man I am washed as ****
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,538

Post#555 » by Jailblazers7 » Fri May 3, 2024 1:02 am

I think a lot of GMs rightfully don’t see a ton of value in the archetype Maxey projected as during the draft. Smaller combo guard who wasn’t a natural playmaker & needed shooting development.

You can point at his shot fundamentals & indicators but I don’t think anybody could’ve projected him as a Dame Lillard type of shooter who can deliver in range, volume, and efficiency all at once.

His speed & athleticism probably should have pushed him into the lotto tho. God, we got so lucky he’s a Sixer on so many levels. Truly feels like the universe throwing us a bone for the Fultz fiasco.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,095

Post#556 » by mjkvol » Fri May 3, 2024 1:35 am

Went to watch the 4th and OT over again earlier, and YouTube TV only had the NBC Sports Philly broadcast. Wow, after watching that game originally with Ian Eagle and Grant Hill and a top level production, it was like going from the Major League to Single A with Kate and Alaa. I so wish we could get a real professional broadcast team here.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers