Luv those Knicks
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 4,405

Re: Game 6: Sixers (2-3) vs. Knicks (3-2) | Thu May 2 9:00 PM (EST) TV: TNT 

Post#581 » by Luv those Knicks » Sun May 5, 2024 2:06 am

zaz102 wrote:
FireMorey wrote:
Ferry Avenue wrote:The series odds were even at the start despite that the Knicks had homecourt advantage, which suggests the Sixers were viewed generally as the more talented team.

They were wrong. The Knicks have more good players than the Sixers do.
Knicks were definitely the better team. Outside our #2 guy (Maxey) being better than their #2 guy (Hart ot OG?).

I personally would call Brunson and hobbled Embiid a wash. Embiid's defensive presence makes up for the difference between them on offense.

I just wanted to give my 2 cents on this, having watched the series.

It was damn close. 4 of the 6 games went down to the final minute. Only 2 games looked like there was a clear winner. This was about the closest series I've ever seen.

So, saying NY had the better team? I don't know. Embiid is a special player. I hate him, but he's gifted. Maxey went Jimmy Butler on us a couple games and Reggie Miller on us once. Very good player. 2 dangerous offensive weapons against NY's one.

NY has 2 centers, who bothered Cleveland last year and bothered Embiid this year. And NY has super-role players in Josh Hart and OG Anunoby. The types of players that good teams love to have. Though if Hart had made his free throws, you'd have never won game 5, and Hart had that 0 for 7 game. but he's still good, just a little clunky on offense sometimes. Best rebounding 6'4 guy since Charles Barkley.

Does that mix of players make NY the better team? I can see that argument on paper, but I don't know. The teams looked very even to me on the court. Even enough where either team could have won. Usually in playoff matchups, one team comes out looking better. I didn't see that this series.

And your team was on pace for like 65-67 wins when Embiid played, so again, I'm not convinced NY was better, especially without Randall. We're better with players 3-6 certainly, but better overall . . . I'm not convinced.

Finally, I'd be happy to avoid this matchup next year. This was a hard series to watch and playing your team kinda sucks.
You’ve gotta have Hart
Miles and miles and miles of Hart
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 354

Post#582 » by Jhawk03 » Sun May 5, 2024 8:43 am

Luv those Knicks wrote:
zaz102 wrote:
FireMorey wrote:
Knicks were definitely the better team. Outside our #2 guy (Maxey) being better than their #2 guy (Hart ot OG?).

I personally would call Brunson and hobbled Embiid a wash. Embiid's defensive presence makes up for the difference between them on offense.

It was damn close. 4 of the 6 games went down to the final minute. Only 2 games looked like there was a clear winner. This was about the closest series I've ever seen.

So, saying NY had the better team? I don't know. Embiid is a special player. I hate him, but he's gifted. Maxey went Jimmy Butler on us a couple games and Reggie Miller on us once. Very good player. 2 dangerous offensive weapons against NY's one.

NY has 2 centers, who bothered Cleveland last year and bothered Embiid this year. And NY has super-role players in Josh Hart and OG Anunoby. The types of players that good teams love to have. Though if Hart had made his free throws, you'd have never won game 5, and Hart had that 0 for 7 game. but he's still good, just a little clunky on offense sometimes. Best rebounding 6'4 guy since Charles Barkley.

Does that mix of players make NY the better team? I can see that argument on paper, but I don't know. The teams looked very even to me on the court. Even enough where either team could have won. Usually in playoff matchups, one team comes out looking better. I didn't see that this series.

And your team was on pace for like 65-67 wins when Embiid played, so again, I'm not convinced NY was better, especially without Randall. We're better with players 3-6 certainly, but better overall . . . I'm not convinced.

Finally, I'd be happy to avoid this matchup next year. This was a hard series to watch and playing your team kinda sucks.

I would love to see Ferry disagree with you and reply, but I'm not holding my breath.

Also, I'd like to get rid of Knicks fans chiming in on the board from here on out by saying two words... Paul Reed
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,800

Post#583 » by 76ciology » Sun May 5, 2024 10:45 am

The Sixers are the more talented team.

The Knicks' hustle and the basketball gods seem to ensure that every game is close, but the Knicks simply make more big shots down the stretch.

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 857

Post#584 » by Ferry Avenue » Sun May 5, 2024 1:40 pm

76ciology wrote:The Sixers are the more talented team.

The Knicks' hustle and the basketball gods seem to ensure that every game is close, but the Knicks simply make more big shots down the stretch.

[x]
Read on Twitter
?s=46&t=bJcUtOCSwzTqqyZgysWpbQ[/x]

The correlation between the Knicks' offensive rebounding margin and their scoring margin game-by-game in the series was 0.44 -- the bigger their offensive rebounding edge, the bigger the scoring margin was in their favor. Not a terribly strong correlation, but the nearly 20% variance in the scoring margin that accounts for is certainly enough to give one team an edge over the other over the course of the series.

And I submit that their offensive rebounding edge was largely a function of a greater will to win on their part. They heard the chatter that the Sixers were the better team and would upset them (as a #2 seed) and they weren't having it, given their identity as a team that uses its intangibles to play above its physical talent level. The Sixers didn't have a motive of their own that could generate enough intensity and will to win to overcome that. Consequently they were beaten.

At some point the team is going to have to become galvanized to win a title -- like the Celtics are this year for example -- and that's going to have to carry them through the playoffs in terms of providing a strong enough emotional motive and will to win to overcome teams like these. They won't beat teams like these until they have a fire and drive that can match or overcome them.

NBA teams can smell when they have an emotional edge over you of that sort, and they'll pummel you under those conditions. The lack of fire to start game 6 at home, alongside the Knicks' tremendous fire, was illustrative -- that should've been tilted the complete opposite direction, with the Sixers at home in a crucial game 6. When that kind of thing happens one team knows it has the other one beaten, and one team becomes galvanized while the other becomes demoralized. The Knicks simply replicated that at the end of the game and put the series away.
Jailblazers7
Assistant Coach
And1: 4,548

Post#585 » by Jailblazers7 » Sun May 5, 2024 1:59 pm

I’m not sure I’d say the Sixers are more talented. We had two of the top 3 players, but the Knicks might’ve had the next 4-5 best players in the series.
FireMorey
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,695

Post#586 » by FireMorey » Sun May 5, 2024 2:30 pm

The Sixers are not more talented. The Sixers might have the worst 3-12 part of the roster in the entire NBA. Look at how bad they were without Embiid, that tells you all you need to know with how bad this roster is outside the top two guys. But the people who think they were more talented probably goes hand in hand with why people are so angry to begin with. You talked yourselves into u realistic expectations. The rest of their starting 5 are all bench players forced into starting roles. People forget they needed a miracle Batum performance to get past the Heat who had Butler on one leg. Without that you would have gotten the Celtics in round 1. This team was never that good nor was it ever built to win in the playoffs.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,559

Post#587 » by GoSixersBro » Sun May 5, 2024 2:36 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
zaz102 wrote:
FireMorey wrote:

That's fair but we could all single out tiny happenings within the final half of the fourth quarter to shape a narrative. Hart went 1/2 at the end from the line there, but he's never shot 80 percent from the FT line in a season. Maxey missed 3 straight free throws in crunch time as an 86% career free throw shooter. Seems like I am splitting hairs but there are dozen of events in the final minutes (plus OT) you could say well if A then B.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#588 » by GoSixersBro » Sun May 5, 2024 2:37 pm

FireMorey wrote:The Sixers are not more talented. The Sixers might have the worst 3-12 part of the roster in the entire NBA. Look at how bad they were without Embiid, that tells you all you need to know with how bad this roster is outside the top two guys. But the people who think they were more talented probably goes hand in hand with why people are so angry to begin with. You talked yourselves into u realistic expectations. The rest of their starting 5 are all bench players forced into starting roles. People forget they needed a miracle Batum performance to get past the Heat who had Butler on one leg. Without that you would have gotten the Celtics in round 1. This team was never that good nor was it ever built to win in the playoffs.

Facts. Sixers are most top heavy with the best player between the two teams, but NY for sure has more talented once you start stacking up players head to head after Maxey.
Here Lies The Process
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,520

Post#589 » by Snotbubbles » Sun May 5, 2024 3:04 pm

Sixerscan wrote:I think it’s unfair to blame Reed. This is his third playoff run as the backup and this never happened before. Last year in the playoffs they had a great net rating with him on the court, better than with Embiid actually. They also won two road playoff games including one in Boston with him starting.

What I think moreso happened is between trading Harden for role players and Tobias disintegrating they just didnt have the overall 5 man group that really worked. They were able to pressure Maxey from the moment he crossed half court and no one would take advantage. Then on the other end they were just super undersized and unathletic.

They may replace Reed but it would need to be a pretty huge upgrade to fix that without improvement to the rest of the lineup.

Reed in an energy/effort player, that's where his value lies. But against the Knicks, they are energy/effort players as well, so Reed's value is diminished. That's why, NN should have tried Bamba. I'm not saying it would have worked, but it was worth a try for a 4 minute stretch to see if Bamba could give you something Reed couldn't. Another thing NN could have tried was a double big to control the boards. There were options for NN to look at, and he just kept going back to the same thing over and over.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man

Post#590 » by Snotbubbles » Sun May 5, 2024 3:18 pm

Luv those Knicks wrote:
zaz102 wrote:
FireMorey wrote:

It was a close series, but I still believe the Sixers were more talented.

It's the same old "if only" story for Philly. If only Embiid were healthy. His knee injury really derailed the season. It put him in a physical condition where he wasn't in game shape to play 40 minutes at a level he needed to play, he wasn't able to move in a manner able that he needed to be able to move at. If you watch him live, you can see he was struggling to move up and down the court, it's harder to see on the TV. It made him maybe 70% of what he normally is and that was still good enough to be the best player on the floor each night. Then to top it all off, we find that he has bells palsy which paralyzes your face and causes vision issues. And still the guy was the best player on the floor.

Morey played this as a placeholder season. He refused to bring in players that had years on their salary, looking to keep cap flexibility. Compiling assets so that he can use them as trade bait. That's why it's so surprising that the Sixer allowed Embiid to comeback this season at all when he wasn't 100%. Morey was always looking at next season. The team he put together this season was like Embiid's playoff health, maybe 70% of what it could have been had Morey actually spent his cap money on players without concerning himself on future cap years. And still, the team was at worst, equal to the #2 seed in the East. It's why I will keep falling for the "if only" trap with Embiid, because the season he is 100% for a playoff run the team could win the title. He's that good.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man

Post#591 » by Snotbubbles » Sun May 5, 2024 3:24 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
FireMorey wrote:The Sixers are not more talented. The Sixers might have the worst 3-12 part of the roster in the entire NBA. Look at how bad they were without Embiid, that tells you all you need to know with how bad this roster is outside the top two guys. But the people who think they were more talented probably goes hand in hand with why people are so angry to begin with. You talked yourselves into u realistic expectations. The rest of their starting 5 are all bench players forced into starting roles. People forget they needed a miracle Batum performance to get past the Heat who had Butler on one leg. Without that you would have gotten the Celtics in round 1. This team was never that good nor was it ever built to win in the playoffs.

Facts. Sixers are most top heavy with the best player between the two teams, but NY for sure has more talented once you start stacking up players head to head after Maxey.

You could have said the same thing about many of the Jordan Bulls teams after Jordan and Pippen they had nothing. The NBA is a star driven league. The Bulls team that won 67 games was a two man show: Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and then Horace Grant, John Paxson, Bill Cartwright, B.J. Armstrong, Stacey King, Will Perdue, Cliff Levingston, Bob Hansen, Scott Williams, Craig Hodges, Dennis Hopson, Mark Randall, Rory Sparrow and Chuck Nevitt. That team won 67 games. Are you kidding me?
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#592 » by GoSixersBro » Sun May 5, 2024 3:42 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

You could have said the same thing about many of the Jordan Bulls teams after Jordan and Pippen they had nothing. The NBA is a star driven league. The Bulls team that won 67 games was a two man show: Michael Jordan, Scottie Pippen and then Horace Grant, John Paxson, Bill Cartwright, B.J. Armstrong, Stacey King, Will Perdue, Cliff Levingston, Bob Hansen, Scott Williams, Craig Hodges, Dennis Hopson, Mark Randall, Rory Sparrow and Chuck Nevitt. That team won 67 games. Are you kidding me?

Idk what you're arguing? I'm saying the Sixers roster minus Joel and Tyrese is talentless, especially compared to Knicks supporting cast.
Here Lies The Process
Ferry Avenue
Starter
And1: 857

Post#593 » by Ferry Avenue » Sun May 5, 2024 3:55 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
Luv those Knicks wrote:
zaz102 wrote:Knicks were definitely the better team. Outside our #2 guy (Maxey) being better than their #2 guy (Hart ot OG?).

It was a close series, but I still believe the Sixers were more talented.

It's the same old "if only" story for Philly. If only Embiid were healthy. His knee injury really derailed the season. It put him in a physical condition where he wasn't in game shape to play 40 minutes at a level he needed to play, he wasn't able to move in a manner able that he needed to be able to move at. If you watch him live, you can see he was struggling to move up and down the court, it's harder to see on the TV. It made him maybe 70% of what he normally is and that was still good enough to be the best player on the floor each night. Then to top it all off, we find that he has bells palsy which paralyzes your face and causes vision issues. And still the guy was the best player on the floor.

Morey played this as a placeholder season. He refused to bring in players that had years on their salary, looking to keep cap flexibility. Compiling assets so that he can use them as trade bait. That's why it's so surprising that the Sixer allowed Embiid to comeback this season at all when he wasn't 100%. Morey was always looking at next season. The team he put together this season was like Embiid's playoff health, maybe 70% of what it could have been had Morey actually spent his cap money on players without concerning himself on future cap years. And still, the team was at worst, equal to the #2 seed in the East. It's why I will keep falling for the "if only" trap with Embiid, because the season he is 100% for a playoff run the team could win the title. He's that good.

It's difficult for me to believe Embiid's typical playoffs demeanor is entirely injury-driven. It's certainly possible to be visibly fiery and energetic even when you're limited physically. When the Knicks pride themselves on being driven and determined and the Sixers' centerpiece doesn't visibly demonstrate something similar, it's quite difficult for the Sixers as a team to match that kind of intensity. If your flagship player doesn't visibly exude that kind of spirit and instead looks downtrodden and emotionally flat, it becomes very difficult for the team to take on that kind of identity as a group of like-minded players who inspire each other with their similar energy/effort approach to the game like the Knicks do. The Knicks' energy/effort approach to the game spreads like wildfire among them and infuses and invigorates them all as they all routinely make plays in that vein, while the Sixers struggle to generate that kind of approach to the game from the hub of their wheel, even.

The Sixers are essentially dependent on extraordinary physical performances -- 50 points from Embiid and Maxey's game from outer space -- to overcome the Knicks' intangibles. And that isn't going to happen with enough regularity. They need to be able to win games with more yeoman-like performances, like the Knicks do. Hustle plays, rebounds, defense, etc.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,076

Post#594 » by Sixerscan » Sun May 5, 2024 5:11 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
Sixerscan wrote:I think it’s unfair to blame Reed. This is his third playoff run as the backup and this never happened before. Last year in the playoffs they had a great net rating with him on the court, better than with Embiid actually. They also won two road playoff games including one in Boston with him starting.

What I think moreso happened is between trading Harden for role players and Tobias disintegrating they just didnt have the overall 5 man group that really worked. They were able to pressure Maxey from the moment he crossed half court and no one would take advantage. Then on the other end they were just super undersized and unathletic.

They may replace Reed but it would need to be a pretty huge upgrade to fix that without improvement to the rest of the lineup.

Reed in an energy/effort player, that's where his value lies. But against the Knicks, they are energy/effort players as well, so Reed's value is diminished. That's why, NN should have tried Bamba. I'm not saying it would have worked, but it was worth a try for a 4 minute stretch to see if Bamba could give you something Reed couldn't. Another thing NN could have tried was a double big to control the boards. There were options for NN to look at, and he just kept going back to the same thing over and over.

He mostly went against Robert Williams in the Celtics series last year who is basically the definition of that type of player and it wasn’t the same issue. In the series before when Embiid sat he more than held his own against Claxton who is another guy like that.

I’m not saying he’s as good as those guys or the Knicks guys, he’s not. Those guys are all starting caliber centers and he’s a backup.

But he shouldn’t have to be, and neither should any backup center we have unless we’re going the Horford route again. Hartenstein and Claxton are probably getting close to $20 million in free agency this summer, Robinson would probably get at least that and Williams would if he could stay healthy. I don’t think anyone wants to make that kind of investment in a guy that can’t play with our best player.

He could have tried different things (and he did around Reed, like Buddy went in and out then back in the rotation and when he actually made shots they held their own in the non Embiid minutes in game 6), but I think the issues with those lineups had much more to do with Maxey being overwhelmed without Embiid, Tobias disappearing and the vestiges of trading Harden not being able to do much than who the 5 was. Reed just bore the brunt of it because those were the only minutes he played and the other guys got to play with Embiid.

I mostly blame, unsurprisingly, whatever the hell happened to Tobias. Whatever low expectations you had of him, everything from the second half of the season then this series managed to disappoint. He averaged 15 as the 4th option last playoffs then 9 in this series. He needed to take a bigger role without Harden and he did the opposite. I don’t know if it was health or he quit or whatever but cannot be more glad we’re done with that contract finally.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man

Post#595 » by Snotbubbles » Sun May 5, 2024 5:42 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

Idk what you're arguing? I'm saying the Sixers roster minus Joel and Tyrese is talentless, especially compared to Knicks supporting cast.

I'm saying that the Bulls won with talentless players after the top 2.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man

Post#596 » by Snotbubbles » Sun May 5, 2024 5:53 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:

He mostly went against Robert Williams in the Celtics series last year who is basically the definition of that type of player and it wasn’t the same issue. In the series before when Embiid sat he more than held his own against Claxton who is another guy like that.

I’m not saying he’s as good as those guys or the Knicks guys, he’s not. Those guys are all starting caliber centers and he’s a backup.

But he shouldn’t have to be, and neither should any backup center we have unless we’re going the Horford route again. Hartenstein and Claxton are probably getting close to $20 million in free agency this summer, Robinson would probably get at least that and Williams would if he could stay healthy. I don’t think anyone wants to make that kind of investment in a guy that can’t play with our best player.

He could have tried different things (and he did around Reed, like Buddy went in and out then back in the rotation and when he actually made shots they held their own in the non Embiid minutes in game 6), but I think the issues with those lineups had much more to do with Maxey being overwhelmed without Embiid, Tobias disappearing and the vestiges of trading Harden not being able to do much than who the 5 was. Reed just bore the brunt of it because those were the only minutes he played and the other guys got to play with Embiid.

I mostly blame, unsurprisingly, whatever the hell happened to Tobias. Whatever low expectations you had of him, everything from the second half of the season then this series managed to disappoint. He averaged 15 as the 4th option last playoffs then 9 in this series. He needed to take a bigger role without Harden and he did the opposite. I don’t know if it was health or he quit or whatever but cannot be more glad we’re done with that contract finally.

Don't even get me started on Tobias Harris. He turned into Ben Simmons by game 6. He's a perfect player for some team like Detroit where he can score 20 points a night in a no pressure environment. Pressure does different things to different people. Sometimes it can crush them, other times it can turn them into a diamond.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#597 » by GoSixersBro » Sun May 5, 2024 6:34 pm

Snotbubbles wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:

Gotcha. And I'm saying the Sixers lost with talentless players after the top 2. Give me Embiid and Maxey over Brunson and OG no doubt.

Oubre < Hart
Harris < DiVincenzo
Lowry / Buddy / Payne < McBride
Batum < Hartenstein
Reed < Robinson

It's not even debatable across the series. I don't know what a Bulls team who won x amount of regular season games thirty years ago has anything to do with the question which roster in this 6 game series was more talented ???
Here Lies The Process
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,076

Post#598 » by Sixerscan » Sun May 5, 2024 7:09 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

Gotcha. And I'm saying the Sixers lost with talentless players after the top 2. Give me Embiid and Maxey over Brunson and OG no doubt.

Oubre < Hart
Harris < DiVincenzo
Batum < Hartenstein
Reed < Robinson

It's not even debatable across the series. I don't know what a Bulls team who won x amount of regular season games thirty years ago has anything to do with the question which roster in this 6 game series was more talented ???

The funny part is, Tobias arguably outplayed OG in a playoff series 2 years ago, let alone the rest of the guys.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man

Post#599 » by Snotbubbles » Sun May 5, 2024 10:31 pm

Sixerscan wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:
Snotbubbles wrote:

Oubre < Hart
Harris < DiVincenzo
Batum < Hartenstein
Reed < Robinson

The funny part is, Tobias arguably outplayed OG in a playoff series 2 years ago, let alone the rest of the guys.

That's the point though, talent-wise, Tobias Harris is supposed to be the 4th best player in the series but he played like he was a garbage time guy coming off the bench. I think some people are conflating or confusing talent with outcome.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers