Tobias Harris appreciation thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,115

Re: Tobias Harris appreciation thread 

Post#41 » by mjkvol » Fri May 3, 2024 6:34 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
mjkvol wrote:Tobias got his bag, thanks to Brand, and can now resume his rightful position as the league's preeminent tank commander. Or as a 'mentor' in a spot like Detroit, where the reading rank on the roster is reportedly among the lowest in the league.

It would be nice if there were any highlights whatsoever to mark his five seasons here, but I'm at a loss in trying to come up with a single one. Very sad, and yet the national media, as recently as this series, continued with the "Sixers need to find a way to get Tobias going" narrative that incredibly continued over five long and unfruitful years.

He made next to zero impact here despite being a starter for five seasons who also closed games up until these playoffs - other than the cap space he took up preventing meaningful roster moves. To be that invisible as a max contract player in a city like Philly yet not be run out of town on a rail is probably his most remarkable feat here.

Goodbye. Finally.

I have no highlights but I have a stat.

As a Sixer, after 6 trips to the playoffs, 10 different playoff series for a whopping 61 playoff games, our #Assassin, eclipsed the 30 point mark in a staggering ONE (1) game.

This is over averaging 37 minutes per game over these 61 playoff games. In a freaking era where scoring 30 has never been easier.

Which game was this you ask? Game 1 of the 2021 first round against arguably our worst playoff match-up during this era, the Westbrook Wizards.

Enjoy.

To me, the most remarkable and telling stat is one someone posted the other day - in 423 total games here including playoffs, Tobias drew exactly zero offensive charges. That, and his reluctance to ever go down and fight for loose balls on the floor are the starkest indicators of a soft player completely unwilling to do whatever it takes to win.

You would think that the players would be the ones that saw this more clearly than anyone, and it's remarkable that Tobias was seen as a 'leader' and great locker room guy here. Or maybe more players than we think felt exactly like Jimmy Butler about him.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#42 » by Skates » Fri May 3, 2024 7:28 pm

Nothing more left to say for this, moving on, finally, and wishing him the best and stuff somewhere else.
XtremeDunkz
General Manager
And1: 6,941

Post#43 » by XtremeDunkz » Fri May 3, 2024 8:40 pm

I've never seen passion from Tobias. Show me one highlight of him making a big defensive play and getting excited.

I defended him at times in the past but he mailed it in this season and it was obvious.

Whatva useless player he ended up being.
10/27/16
Nemesis21 wrote:It is absolutely hilarious hearing people still say Embiid has superstar potential.The guy is one injury away from being Greg Oden.:lol: Except Oden manged to play over 100 games in the NBA, I don't think Embiid will play more.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#44 » by the_process » Fri May 3, 2024 9:23 pm

I appreciate that his bloated salary is finally off the books.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#45 » by stormi » Fri May 3, 2024 9:31 pm

XtremeDunkz wrote:I've never seen passion from Tobias. Show me one highlight of him making a big defensive play and getting excited.

I defended him at times in the past but he mailed it in this season and it was obvious.

The only time he's ever shown fight or passion on the court was... against his own fans.

Read on Twitter

(His chest was swollen because he scored a mid-post fade against the 15th in the West Rockets)

Any sort of secure opposition though and his tail is properly tucked between his legs where they belong.

Spineless coward.
sixers4real
Veteran
And1: 1,961

Post#46 » by sixers4real » Fri May 3, 2024 9:51 pm

Finally my 5-year old son won’t show his middle finger to a Sixer player in a game.

(Yeah, he’s a quick learner)

Buy, Tobias.
Sixers fan since 2001. From Russia.
Ad7
Sophomore
And1: 16

Post#47 » by Ad7 » Fri May 3, 2024 10:47 pm

Sixersftw wrote:Modern day Willie Green. How the **** did he get that contract and how the hell did we keep him for so long? Sixering is a flat circle.

for me he's more like john salmons :wink:
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,115

Post#48 » by mjkvol » Fri May 3, 2024 11:24 pm

stormi wrote:
XtremeDunkz wrote:I've never seen passion from Tobias. Show me one highlight of him making a big defensive play and getting excited.

The only time he's ever shown fight or passion on the court was... against his own fans.

Read on Twitter

(His chest was swollen because he scored a mid-post fade against the 15th in the West Rockets)

Any sort of secure opposition though and his tail is properly tucked between his legs where they belong.

Spineless coward.

You might have found the one highlight of his time here. Well done.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,554

Post#49 » by eyeatoma » Sat May 4, 2024 2:11 am

I appreciate you being the **** off the franchise. Greatest heist in NBA history.
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#50 » by MVP1992 » Sat May 4, 2024 9:16 am

stormi wrote:
the_process wrote:
zaz102 wrote:No way. On top of Nurse not drawing up plays for him and sitting him in crucial times, he had a miserable series. He was outplayed by the only other forwards in the PO rotation- an almost 40 YO and a guy on a minimum deal. If he's coming back it would have to be a real friendly deal.

No one banged the drum more than me that this guy sucks.

I'm not proud to admit this, but unless you've had a Harris relative dming you on twitter for speaking your truths, then I can't give you this crown.

In all seriousness though, you, mjkvol and myself have been on this bandwagon for a couple of years minimum now. Along with some others.

It's a shame he survived that entire contract here.

Was that you, "Dusty bum" ? :lol:

Did you also have an incident with Ben Simmons or his crew on social media? :wink:
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”
Jhawk03
Pro Prospect
And1: 354

Post#51 » by Jhawk03 » Sat May 4, 2024 9:59 am

stormi wrote:

Read on Twitter

Spineless coward.

Let's assume you morphed into Morey this season right after the trade deadline... would you have waived him?

I would love to see the alternate universe where he was waived after the trade deadline. Like what would've happened if Morey had the balls to do that?
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#52 » by stormi » Sat May 4, 2024 10:52 am

MVP1992 wrote:
stormi wrote:
the_process wrote:
No one banged the drum more than me that this guy sucks.

I'm not proud to admit this, but unless you've had a Harris relative dming you on twitter for speaking your truths, then I can't give you this crown.

In all seriousness though, you, mjkvol and myself have been on this bandwagon for a couple of years minimum now. Along with some others.

Did you also have an incident with Ben Simmons or his crew on social media? :wink:

Noooo, that's too far. I think I just called Harris some variant of a scrub a couple of years back and someone wasn't pleased.
MVP1992
Rookie
And1: 556

Post#53 » by MVP1992 » Sat May 4, 2024 11:09 am

stormi wrote:
MVP1992 wrote:
stormi wrote:

Noooo, that's too far. I think I just called Harris some variant of a scrub a couple of years back and someone wasn't pleased.

Youtuber DJ of 'Run it back Philly' slandered Tobias and apparently his father called DJ a "Broke Dusty Bum" :lol:

Thought for a moment you were him.
Mr. Biden shot back: “You’ve got more questions? Well, I tell you what, if you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump, then you ain’t Black.”
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,702

Post#54 » by rzzzzz » Sat May 4, 2024 1:08 pm

Not that he was ever a dominant force, but he just wasn’t the same after he went out with “illness” for an extended period of time and was unable to contribute anything when he eventually came back. Wouldn’t be surprised if it was long term covid. That’s what the medical staff of any potential landing spot is going to have to rule out. And I wouldn’t be surprised if there was no potential landing spot, outside of chump change to sit on the end of the bench somewhere in case he ever did recover.
SixthStreet
Sixth Man
And1: 1,584

Post#55 » by SixthStreet » Sun May 5, 2024 5:03 pm

Tobias seems to be a good citizen who contributes his time to the community so that's a nice thing. Ultimately whether that $180m is in Harris' pocket or the other Harris doesn't matter to me other than hamstringing roster building these last 5 years. Which sucked. Don't wish him ill will.

I'll definitely appreciate him more if his replacement is Miles Bridges.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,101

Post#56 » by sixers hoops » Sun May 5, 2024 7:28 pm

Making $40 million and couldn’t even hustle for the ball. Probably put forth the worst effort of anybody on our roster. He shouldn’t be embarrassed for not living up to Elton Brand’s misguided expectations and the expectations of the contract, but he should be ashamed of the effort he gave to an organization paying him that amount of money.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,616

Post#57 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Sun May 5, 2024 9:44 pm

Skates wrote:Nothing more left to say for this, moving on, finally, and wishing him the best and stuff somewhere else.

I've been through some personal hell in my lifetime (I'm sure all of us have). This felt like a jails sentence. We did the time, we're free, let's move on and not repeat the same mistake again. Completely agree with your take on this. I wish him well, but I'm moving on and there's nothing else to really talk about from my end.
Snotbubbles
Sixth Man
And1: 1,520

Post#58 » by Snotbubbles » Mon May 6, 2024 1:36 am

ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:
Skates wrote:Nothing more left to say for this, moving on, finally, and wishing him the best and stuff somewhere else.

I've been through some personal hell in my lifetime (I'm sure all of us have). This felt like a jails sentence. We did the time, we're free, let's move on and not repeat the same mistake again. Completely agree with your take on this. I wish him well, but I'm moving on and there's nothing else to really talk about from my end.

The names being floated around that the Sixers are interested in, I'd say be prepared to do some more time. They're sound like they're going to sign some mid-thirties "superstar" who will give Embiid a run for his money in games missed.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,616

Post#59 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon May 6, 2024 10:42 am

Snotbubbles wrote:
ExplosionsInDaSky wrote:

The names being floated around that the Sixers are interested in, I'd say be prepared to do some more time. They're sound like they're going to sign some mid-thirties "superstar" who will give Embiid a run for his money in games missed.

Every year we hear rumors and every year they never happen.
Sixers in 4
Pro Prospect
And1: 774

Post#60 » by Sixers in 4 » Mon May 6, 2024 7:41 pm

Harris would have been fine as a mobile stretch 4 big but his contract ensured that he was a villain.

Like Niang signed a 3/25 contract that should have been similar money for Harris maybe a bit more.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers