Tobias Harris appreciation thread 

Post#1 » by Wilfried » Fri May 3, 2024 7:29 am

Goodbye
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,801

Re: Tobias Harris appreciation thread 

Post#2 » by 76ciology » Fri May 3, 2024 8:55 am

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
76ciology
RealGM

Post#3 » by 76ciology » Fri May 3, 2024 8:55 am

There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Lou_23
Bench Warmer
And1: 731

Post#4 » by Lou_23 » Fri May 3, 2024 8:59 am

I defended him a lot his time here, but men, his season was terrible and his playoffs a joke.

Good luck and bye.
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#5 » by PhillyNj » Fri May 3, 2024 10:07 am

I’ve been one of Tobias Harris’s biggest supporters. Sad to see him quit in his last game here.

Where’s the Paul Reed appreciation thread? Good luck to him too.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#6 » by stormi » Fri May 3, 2024 10:20 am

0 IQ, 0 defense played, 0 iconic performances, 0 charges drawn in 5.5 years and 0 points in his final outing.

Poetic.

I appreciate time theft as much as the next person, but not on my favorite team.

Good riddance.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,619

Post#7 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Fri May 3, 2024 10:34 am

I defended him for a long time. That ran dry this season. Thank God this is it.
sixerguy
Sixth Man
And1: 266

Post#8 » by sixerguy » Fri May 3, 2024 11:19 am

Zero offensive charges taken in over 360 games as a Sixer. Zero. Quite possibly the biggest pu$$y of all time. Why Elton, why..
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 480

Post#9 » by Sixercise » Fri May 3, 2024 11:20 am

rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
Iscull
Senior
And1: 134

Post#10 » by Iscull » Fri May 3, 2024 11:20 am

The definition of a dead weight
Sixercise
Sixth Man
And1: 480

Post#11 » by Sixercise » Fri May 3, 2024 11:27 am

rilamann wrote:Leave Simmons alone, your back would be sore too if you didn't have a spine.
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 247

Post#12 » by Samson » Fri May 3, 2024 11:38 am

Sixercise wrote:Image

"I stopped by one of the 76ers biggest Hater-Players Contract-Status pages today to make sure that MF'er's a Free Agent..."
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,043

Post#13 » by Negrodamus » Fri May 3, 2024 11:45 am

This thread is like playing the Sixers song too early in the game. The other team can still get a steal and tie the game.

Tobias is friend with a bunch of the Sixers. It’s not outside of the realm of possibility that he comes back on a more “friendly” contract. If he does, I’ll simply die.
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,922

Post#14 » by Wilfried » Fri May 3, 2024 11:53 am

Negrodamus wrote:This thread is like playing the Sixers song too early in the game. The other team can still get a steal and tie the game.

Tobias is friend with a bunch of the Sixers. It’s not outside of the realm of possibility that he comes back on a more “friendly” contract. If he does, I’ll simply die.

How much would you give someone that averaged 9 and 7 in 36 minutes in the play-offs?
zaz102
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#15 » by zaz102 » Fri May 3, 2024 11:59 am

Negrodamus wrote:This thread is like playing the Sixers song too early in the game. The other team can still get a steal and tie the game.

No way. On top of Nurse not drawing up plays for him and sitting him in crucial times, he had a miserable series. He was outplayed by the only other forwards in the PO rotation- an almost 40 YO and a guy on a minimum deal. If he's coming back it would have to be a real friendly deal.
Mik317
RealGM
And1: 17,964

Post#16 » by Mik317 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:33 pm

Great guy. Ironically the new age Elton Brand in that his contract wasn't his fault but goddam did it hurt. I wish him well on his next team

inb4 we resign him or he goes elsewhere and becomes a 50% 3pt shooter on high volume lol
#NeverGonnaBeGood
Zumramania
Senior
And1: 426

Post#17 » by Zumramania » Fri May 3, 2024 12:42 pm

I think Tobias represents a lot of what is wrong with the Sixers. It's like working with your best friend who does the easy stuff well but sucks when things get hard, all that while he is a super nice person and sounds wise. These kind of things cripple your ambition and prevent you from growth.
I bet after every playoff exit he says something like: "At the end of the day it doesn't matter guys, let's go enjoy our vacations and spend time with our loved ones.". He looks like he has zero hunger, and if he had any it disappeared after he got that fat contract. Ben Simmons looked more disturbed after playoff failures than him. It think it's horrible to have such an unambitious loser as one of the strongest voices in your locker room for five years already. Imagine what this does to a team's culture.

If he stays on the team in any capacity we are doomed and on top of that we will be forced to watch his horrible basketball.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,122

Post#18 » by mjkvol » Fri May 3, 2024 12:51 pm

Tobias got his bag, thanks to Brand, and can now resume his rightful position as the league's preeminent tank commander. Or as a 'mentor' in a spot like Detroit, where the reading rank on the roster is reportedly among the lowest in the league.

It would be nice if there were any highlights whatsoever to mark his five seasons here, but I'm at a loss in trying to come up with a single one. Very sad, and yet the national media, as recently as this series, continued with the "Sixers need to find a way to get Tobias going" narrative that incredibly continued over five long and unfruitful years.

He made next to zero impact here despite being a starter for five seasons who also closed games up until these playoffs - other than the cap space he took up preventing meaningful roster moves. To be that invisible as a max contract player in a city like Philly yet not be run out of town on a rail is probably his most remarkable feat here.

Goodbye. Finally.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
76ciology
RealGM

Post#19 » by 76ciology » Fri May 3, 2024 1:03 pm

We brought him in when the team was full of hope. We believed Ben Simmons would become a two-way superstar co-star to Embiid. Complimenting well to what we believed Tobias was, as an up-and-coming 50-40-90 scorer. Nobody expected him to carry the team as a third option. Except when our first and second options plays like a third option, which happens almost always.

He has always been a good soldier for the team, playing whatever role the team asks of him. However, he's nowhere near the player deserving of his contract.

I'm not a fan of Tobias, but I've always felt he's unfairly criticized because of his contract, which he'll never live up to. I'm also a realist who accepts that replacing him isn't easy. For instance, the players we're looking at now, like Markannen or Siakam, are close to untouchable.

I've always believed that your alpha, or at least your Robin, mostly determines your team's fate in the playoffs. Embiid is a challenging player to build around, and the power forward position is the toughest to fill.

To our future power forward who can space the floor, create his shots, protect the rim, and rebound the ball: Welcome to our team, and we hope you can live up to our expectations.
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,122

Post#20 » by mjkvol » Fri May 3, 2024 1:15 pm

76ciology wrote:I'm not a fan of Tobias, but I've always felt he's unfairly criticized because of his contract, which he'll never live up to.

So for $20-25 mil he would have been worth the investment? $15-20 mil? Sorry, but that argument was always flawed and almost an apology for his complete and utter lack of impact as a player. He gave us what I might expect of a vet min kind of player, but then I wouldn't feel obligated to make that guy a starter and key rotation player, and he could be gone any time I chose.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin

Return to Philadelphia 76ers