ImageImageImage

Tobias Harris appreciation thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Re: Tobias Harris appreciation thread 

Post#21 » by stormi » Fri May 3, 2024 1:21 pm

45 year old Nico Batum arrived midseason and immediately showed more IQ, concepts of synergy with Embiid, the ability to simply get the ball into the post, connective passing, SHOOTING WHEN YOU'RE OPEN, off the ball hustle and impactful clutch performances (Brunson block end of game 5 // six threes against the Heat to escape the play-in) than Tobias had in nearly 6 entire seasons.

The bar for improvement from this lethargic sack of fat isn't very high.

Tobias can literally score zero points and still have excuses made for him, it's called Stockholm Syndrome people. You're a victim.
sodmoraes
Rookie
And1: 557

Post#22 » by sodmoraes » Fri May 3, 2024 1:27 pm

Godspeed Toebias, fearless warrior, great scorer!
[quote:bba5df4c1f="hornetstime"]jr smith will be out of this league in 2 years, book it.[/quote]
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#23 » by the_process » Fri May 3, 2024 1:28 pm

zaz102 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:This thread is like playing the Sixers song too early in the game. The other team can still get a steal and tie the game.

Tobias is friend with a bunch of the Sixers. It’s not outside of the realm of possibility that he comes back on a more “friendly” contract. If he does, I’ll simply die.
No way. On top of Nurse not drawing up plays for him and sitting him in crucial times, he had a miserable series. He was outplayed by the only other forwards in the PO rotation- an almost 40 YO and a guy on a minimum deal. If he's coming back it would have to be a real friendly deal.

No one banged the drum more than me that this guy sucks.

That being said, I agree this thread is premature, even if we want to dance on his grave. I can see a universe where Morey strikes out on everything, ownership is too spineless to fire him on the spot, so Morey just runs it back with bloated one year deals for everyone.

Morey does not do organic team building.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,874

Post#24 » by stormi » Fri May 3, 2024 1:32 pm

the_process wrote:
zaz102 wrote:
Negrodamus wrote:This thread is like playing the Sixers song too early in the game. The other team can still get a steal and tie the game.

Tobias is friend with a bunch of the Sixers. It’s not outside of the realm of possibility that he comes back on a more “friendly” contract. If he does, I’ll simply die.
No way. On top of Nurse not drawing up plays for him and sitting him in crucial times, he had a miserable series. He was outplayed by the only other forwards in the PO rotation- an almost 40 YO and a guy on a minimum deal. If he's coming back it would have to be a real friendly deal.

I'm not proud to admit this, but unless you've had a Harris relative dming you on twitter for speaking your truths, then I can't give you this crown.

In all seriousness though, you, mjkvol and myself have been on this bandwagon for a couple of years minimum now. Along with some others.

It's a shame he survived that entire contract here.
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,792

Post#25 » by Sixersftw » Fri May 3, 2024 1:40 pm

Modern day Willie Green. How the **** did he get that contract and how the hell did we keep him for so long? Sixering is a flat circle.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,120

Post#26 » by mjkvol » Fri May 3, 2024 1:42 pm

stormi wrote:
the_process wrote:
zaz102 wrote:No way. On top of Nurse not drawing up plays for him and sitting him in crucial times, he had a miserable series. He was outplayed by the only other forwards in the PO rotation- an almost 40 YO and a guy on a minimum deal. If he's coming back it would have to be a real friendly deal.

I'm not proud to admit this, but unless you've had a Harris relative dming you on twitter for speaking your truths, then I can't give you this crown.

In all seriousness though, you, mjkvol and myself have been on this bandwagon for a couple of years minimum now. Along with some others.

It's a shame he survived that entire contract here.

Yeah, we were the three that never wavered on Tobias at any point in those five years. You took the extra step of quitting the forum until he was gone, which was never going to happen. Brand was on an island by himself as the only guy who would have given him that abomination of a deal, but then Brand probably saw a lot of himself in Tobias.

It still amazes me that a max contract player in this day and age could have so little impact and yet take little heat and continue to be treated by the national media as an unheralded 'star'. I mean, even Grant Hill in this series! "Sixers need to find a way to get Tobias going". I've never seen anything quite like it.
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
seventy6ers
Sophomore
And1: 74

Post#27 » by seventy6ers » Fri May 3, 2024 1:52 pm

Every year hoped for him to be traded, yet it seemed like nobody else wanted him with that albatross of a contract. Still remember when Brand maxed him and the majority knew this was a huge mistake. Never understood why every coach felt the need to continually start him and play him for so many minutes when he doesn't really do anything. Hopefully he just moves on to another team (Pistons).
FlyingArrow
Starter
And1: 1,452

Post#28 » by FlyingArrow » Fri May 3, 2024 2:19 pm

He morphed from "League-average starter with an all-star contract" to "Barely a starter with an all-star contract" to "Should be a good bench player but with an all-star contract". And all along he basically disappeared in the playoffs.

Nice guy. Terrible move to bring him in 5 years ago.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,559

Post#29 » by GoSixersBro » Fri May 3, 2024 2:43 pm

Wilfried wrote:

How much would you give someone that averaged 9 and 7 in 36 minutes in the play-offs?

Spiderman meme of Tobias and Terrance Mann pointing at each other.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#30 » by GoSixersBro » Fri May 3, 2024 2:47 pm

seventy6ers wrote:Every year hoped for him to be traded, yet it seemed like nobody else wanted him with that albatross of a contract. Still remember when Brand maxed him and the majority knew this was a huge mistake. Never understood why every coach felt the need to continually start him and play him for so many minutes when he doesn't really do anything. Hopefully he just moves on to another team (Pistons).

Sunk cost fallacy.
Here Lies The Process
Arsenal
RealGM
And1: 10,324

Post#31 » by Arsenal » Fri May 3, 2024 2:50 pm

I appreciate that he's finally GONE. Finally flushing the final turd of the "collaborative era" interregnum between Hinkie and Morey.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,811

Post#32 » by the_process » Fri May 3, 2024 2:51 pm

stormi wrote:45 year old Nico Batum arrived midseason and immediately showed more IQ, concepts of synergy with Embiid, the ability to simply get the ball into the post, connective passing, SHOOTING WHEN YOU'RE OPEN, off the ball hustle and impactful clutch performances (Brunson block end of game 5 // six threes against the Heat to escape the play-in) than Tobias had in nearly 6 entire seasons.

The bar for improvement from this lethargic sack of fat isn't very high.

Tobias can literally score zero points and still have excuses made for him, it's called Stockholm Syndrome people. You're a victim.

ponder719
Sixth Man
And1: 128

Post#33 » by ponder719 » Fri May 3, 2024 2:59 pm

Fare thee well, 0bias. I don't wish you ill, but I do wish you gone.
Bryan Colangelo Elton Brand Daryl Morey: The Cause of, and Solution to, All of Life's Problems

The Sixers: All of Life's Problems
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#34 » by GoSixersBro » Fri May 3, 2024 3:10 pm

mjkvol wrote:Tobias got his bag, thanks to Brand, and can now resume his rightful position as the league's preeminent tank commander. Or as a 'mentor' in a spot like Detroit, where the reading rank on the roster is reportedly among the lowest in the league.

It would be nice if there were any highlights whatsoever to mark his five seasons here, but I'm at a loss in trying to come up with a single one. Very sad, and yet the national media, as recently as this series, continued with the "Sixers need to find a way to get Tobias going" narrative that incredibly continued over five long and unfruitful years.

He made next to zero impact here despite being a starter for five seasons who also closed games up until these playoffs - other than the cap space he took up preventing meaningful roster moves. To be that invisible as a max contract player in a city like Philly yet not be run out of town on a rail is probably his most remarkable feat here.

Goodbye. Finally.

I have no highlights but I have a stat.

As a Sixer, after 6 trips to the playoffs, 10 different playoff series for a whopping 61 playoff games, our #Assassin, eclipsed the 30 point mark in a staggering ONE (1) game.

This is over averaging 37 minutes per game over these 61 playoff games. In a freaking era where scoring 30 has never been easier.

Which game was this you ask? Game 1 of the 2021 first round against arguably our worst playoff match-up during this era, the Westbrook Wizards.

Enjoy.
Here Lies The Process
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,978

Post#35 » by Stanford » Fri May 3, 2024 3:42 pm

Can't wait for the Pompey article about how Sixers fans destroyed his mental health.
Samson
Assistant Coach
And1: 247

Post#36 » by Samson » Fri May 3, 2024 3:52 pm

I am ALL GOOD WITH THAT, but it needs to be clear- and look, there are many people saying "I've been one of Tobias Harris's defenders on here..." ... I don't come here nearly as much as I did 20 years ago , but I LOVED the TH acquisition and I've been one of if not his staunchest defenders on here ... he's an athletic dude with a ton of basketball talent that can AND WILL play multiple positions , on the fly, just tell the man what you want him to do and he'll do it, etc.

He absolutely never deserved the contract he got - but EVERYONE REMEMBER - the NBA had gone absolutely Bizarro-World with $$$ many years before-hand. Remember whatever the f'k that dude's name was that we took in 2010 after missing out on Kyrie? He himself said he was *astounded* at the money he got paid *after we literally GAVE HIM AWAY* because he sucked at NBA basketball. So if WE DID NOT pay TH the max, someone would have. It was a little sickening to me to see him say, after signing, how his Dad/Agent , something like 'My Dad promised me we'd get the Max, every penny, and we did!' - I get it, it's an ego thing. This dude gets $$$, and now I want $$$+ ... and now YOU want $$$$, and so the next dude wants $$$$+ etc. He was never worth it. But if we didn't, he would have got it somewhere else.

Should we have signed Jimmy Butler , absolutely. We should have signed him ALSO, because having someone like Butler on the field would strengthen all Harris's shortcomings while allowing him to maximize his strengths. That's like, you know, smart and stuff ... and if we spent the past 5 years with Maxey/Butler/Harris/Embiid as our core , completely and totally and 101% different universe of our basketball than what we have.

I would ABSOLUTELY take Harris back. He's a great glue-guy that can do a ton of good things. The problem is, HE IS NOT A POWER FOWARD, *certainly not* a PF next to Joel Embiid... he needs to be a SF version of George Lynch. It's just that nobody thought GL was worth $180mil / $36-per ...

And as much as it pains me to agree with a single freaking thing SAS said ... I have to agree, we need to start considering this Maxey's team. Joel Embiid reminds me of some stuff I've gone through in life, it sucks to keep getting injured and blamed for it and it's not your fault but whatever ... it's been 10 years now, you have spent a decade as a professional basketball player. You missed your first two full entire years with injuries, and played in 1/3 of the season your third season, ~ 1/2 of the season your last... and you've never been past the 2nd round of the playoffs. While that might not be your fault, nevertheless, you might possess the skills to be All-NBA and the most desired C in the game, you do not possess the skills necessary to lead your team to victory when it was most needed. Sure seems like Maxey does. "Just give him the damn ball..."
GoSixersBro
Head Coach

Post#37 » by GoSixersBro » Fri May 3, 2024 3:57 pm

Tobias is not a great glue guy and can't do a ton of good things. Have you tuned in within the last two seasons?
Here Lies The Process
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,978

Post#38 » by Stanford » Fri May 3, 2024 4:00 pm

The team would have been no worse off if Council played all of Tobias's minutes in the playoffs. Think about that.
Murray_17
RealGM
And1: 10,336

Post#39 » by Murray_17 » Fri May 3, 2024 4:58 pm

I was always one of those "He's a good player on a horrible contract" guys which is why i always knew he was gonna stay his 5 years here. That was one of the worst contracts on the league for 4 straight years, untradeable given our pick and cap situation too.

His play this season has made me regret anything positive i have ever said of him. Guy spend 6 months just boycotting the team
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#40 » by UptownPhilly » Fri May 3, 2024 5:43 pm

He should’ve been gone years ago. Thanks for nothing.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers