ImageImageImage

Offseason Plan B: Sell the cap for assets?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,801

Re: Offseason Plan B: Sell the cap for assets? 

Post#21 » by 76ciology » Tue May 7, 2024 3:31 am

Slacktard wrote:
76ciology wrote:So the other thread is heaven, and this thread is hell.

I think some of the use up 80% of the cap for a mid 30s guy with injury history there are kinda hellish scenarios imo.

Not that I want to see them use the entire cap to absorb bad contracts for assets like they're a non-contender either. Altho I think there could be some type of possible happy medium where they are able to make a trade for a '3rd piece' nearing FA (preferably rookie contract or 2nd contract), by also absorbing a bad contract from the team with that 3rd piece.

We just need to become a top-three team in the next two seasons. What's the value of a pre-peak player when Embiid won't be playing anymore, or at least not with us when he peaks?

I think this move is more of a "kick the can down the road" approach, where we settle for picks and fillers now with the intention of using them to acquire a more attractive third star later on.

However, I don't believe we have that luxury. If you look at the trend, most big names are traded in the offseason, leaving leftovers by the trade deadline. Buddy Hield was arguably the best player available by the deadline.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,813

Post#22 » by the_process » Tue May 7, 2024 4:21 am

I thought of one name you might be able to get some kind of draft consideration for if Dallas is tinkering around and needs some flexibility: Tim Hardaway Jr.
davesilver
Junior
And1: 206

Post#23 » by davesilver » Tue May 7, 2024 3:08 pm

This is the most fascinating option. I'd be looking at teams like Phoenix and GSW. If we can garner 1-2 FRP, that puts us in a real category to get a tier A young star. However I think because of OKC's FRP arsenal, as well as the realities of building a team that can win now around Joel, we can't really have this luxury of selling the cap
PhillyNj
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#24 » by PhillyNj » Tue May 7, 2024 6:56 pm

Plan B for me is signing a lot of players to more than min. Deals.
#1 cut Paul Reed.
#2 call every team in the league to see if they have good players that they just want to salary dump.
#3 sign Miles Bridges 4/100 mil.
#4 sign Kelly Oubrea 4/40
#5 sign Tyus Jones 4/40
#6 resign Cam Payne slightly more than the min.
#7 sign as many NBA players as possible with the rest.
I believe a lot of good players are going to be stuck on min. Deals this year because teams just have no cap space.
The smart move is to pay players a little more than the min. To get them to come here.
This year there could be a Hugh difference from a player making the min. To a player making say 15% more.
SixersSince82
Junior
And1: 205

Post#25 » by SixersSince82 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:01 pm

I dont see using some of the cap space on acquiring assets as a "kick the can" type of decision. I think its just plain smart.

I dont think we are taking on a bad contract for someone unplayable. There are teams in financial binds that will give up something for a guy who's overpaid but still can contribute. So, Sans star, I think getting 4 good role players vs 3 good role players plus a 1st because one of them is overpaid is still a pretty similar caliber of team.
LeonJordanJr24
Sixth Man
And1: 557

Post#26 » by LeonJordanJr24 » Thu May 9, 2024 4:35 pm

Resigning oubre and signing Russell Westbrook would be a huge step in right direction. High motor productive playoff players .
Negrodamus
RealGM
And1: 14,044

Post#27 » by Negrodamus » Thu May 9, 2024 5:55 pm

Bro, Westbrook was deeply not productive playoff player. I don't know what you were looking at.
rzzzzz
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,703

Post#28 » by rzzzzz » Fri May 10, 2024 10:26 pm

Slacktard wrote:
FireMorey wrote:Ben Simmons.

Read on Twitter

Not showing enough cleavage to get his photo in mainstream media.
ivysixer2000
General Manager
And1: 2,070

Post#29 » by ivysixer2000 » Sat May 11, 2024 4:15 am

Slacktard wrote:

Read on Twitter

With all that free money, he needs to hire a fashion consultant....he looks like he tried real hard to look utterly ridiculous.
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,801

Post#30 » by 76ciology » Sun May 12, 2024 10:39 am

Imagine living all your life that you are “the chosen one”, only to discover that it’s not in basketball but in fashion.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,980

Post#31 » by Stanford » Sun May 12, 2024 10:43 am

ivysixer2000 wrote:he looks like he tried real hard to look utterly ridiculous.

Google Met Gala
phillynative
General Manager
And1: 2,831

Post#32 » by phillynative » Sun May 12, 2024 12:09 pm

ivysixer2000 wrote:
Slacktard wrote:

Read on Twitter

With all that free money, he needs to hire a fashion consultant....he looks like he tried real hard to look utterly ridiculous.

This is another reason why I believe he had no problem going to the gym everyday, getting stronger , putting on muscle but not really putting in the work needed to improve his basketball skillset. He is more concerned with fashion, lifestyle and his aesthetic than the actual sport and going to the gym coincides with him looking good for the women and hollyweird.
GoSixersBro
Head Coach
And1: 2,559

Post#33 » by GoSixersBro » Sun May 12, 2024 2:58 pm

LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Resigning oubre and signing Russell Westbrook would be a huge step in right direction. High motor productive playoff players .

We are so cooked.
Here Lies The Process
May 13, 2013 - April 6, 2016
mjkvol
Lead Assistant
And1: 5,126

Post#34 » by mjkvol » Sun May 12, 2024 5:23 pm

GoSixersBro wrote:
LeonJordanJr24 wrote:Resigning oubre and signing Russell Westbrook would be a huge step in right direction. High motor productive playoff players .

We are so cooked.

It's hard to imagine that isn't a troll post. Is this possibly Bum under an alternate name?
"If voting mattered, they wouldn't let you do it." - George Carlin
bball4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,263

Post#35 » by bball4life » Mon May 13, 2024 9:00 pm

mjkvol wrote:
GoSixersBro wrote:

We are so cooked.

It's hard to imagine that isn't a troll post. Is this possibly Bum under an alternate name?

Look back over the years at the guys he likes. This tracks.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers