ImageImageImage

Two PF's In the Doghouse - Two Prospects?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

STChaser
Starter
And1: 0

Two PF's In the Doghouse - Two Prospects? 

Post#1 » by STChaser » Mon Jan 7, 2008 8:58 pm

http://realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=747324

It seems that both Amir Johnson and Tyrus Thomas are in doghouses on their respective teams. We've already discussed TT's case on another thread. However, Amir is another interesting prospect. Having read some of the threads on him on the Detroit forum (see above link), it seems he too has a huge following among the fanbase as does TT, but Flip won't give him playing time. Amir is currently stuck behind Sheed, McDyes, Maxiell, and Brezec. Funny how Amir would probably start for us and yet in Detroit, he's barely getting playing time but that's another story....

Anyway, being that we desperately NEED a PF and Amir is a physical specimen at 6'11 and has definitely shown flashes, I wish there were some package we could send Detroit to get him. Perhaps send Evans, Carney, or Green, or Jason Smith and filler. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying that Amir is the answer. But he sure beats anything we've got right now and getting him would not preclude us from going after a Brand or Josh Smith in the offseason either. Thoughts?

Also, here is a nice clip of Amir having a block party against non other than Sam's nemesis, Andrew Bynum: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxLXmKSu ... re=related

STChaser
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM

Post#2 » by IggyTheBEaST » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:18 pm

I am willing to give up Green Carney or Evans, but definitly not Jason Smith. Are you kidding me? Not a chance.

By the way Amir is 6'9
STChaser
Starter

Post#3 » by STChaser » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:22 pm

Is he still 6'9? I also saw that he's listed as 6'11. Seems like it depends upon which profile you pull up on him.

http://www.hoopshype.com/players/amir_johnson.htm

STChaser
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#4 » by The Sixer Fixer » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:36 pm

Amir is definitely closer to 6-9 than he is 6-11. He's also real skinny. Having said that, I would absolutely include Jason Smith in a deal for him. Amir is an athletic freak in the Josh Smith mold and he's still only 20 yrs old. If he can add 20-25 lbs over the next few years, he could be an impact player on both sides of the court like Smith.

Amir's upside is well beyond what Jason Smith offers IMO. I'm not saying Amir is the answer at PF, but I don't think Smith is either. The question is, what else would we have to give up to satisy Detroit (a 1 for 1 doesn't work)? I'm not trying to make it into a fantasy thread so I won't go as far as suggesting possible deals. Just saying that I wouldn't hesitate to deal Smith if we could get Amir in the deal.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#5 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jan 7, 2008 9:39 pm

I'm interested in both but I suspect Ed is going to wait until this summer to try and obtain a PF since he seems to want someone who is a little more proven than either of these two.

Again though... I would gladly take either.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#6 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Jan 7, 2008 10:34 pm

I highly doubt we are able 2 get Thomas...but hey id be ALL for it.

Johnson is def 6'9 and not very skillfull other than working off his athleticism.Not a huge fan unless we werent giving up much for him.
We should be shopping Green and Carney for any type of young PF we can possibly get.Hakim Warrick has be mentioned plenty of times and id stil LOVE to get him here...id rather have him than Johnson.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
LieCheatSteal
Assistant Coach
And1: 418

Post#7 » by LieCheatSteal » Mon Jan 7, 2008 11:27 pm

Tyrus would be interesting here. A PF/SF type of guy. But I would imagine that Chicago would want a low post player back and I don't think the Sixers have one of those.
Two years from being two years away.
Fire BK
Senior

Post#8 » by Fire BK » Tue Jan 8, 2008 10:54 pm

IggyTheBEaST wrote:I am willing to give up Green Carney or Evans, but definitly not Jason Smith. Are you kidding me? Not a chance.

Why? Because Jason Smith is such a stalwart defender? Or because of his stellar back-to-the-basket post moves? This guy's not a banger, never will be. He's a soft, perimeter, face-up big guy. I'd gladly ship him for an upgrade at PF. In a second. And Eddie would too. Thank god we have a real talent evaluator now.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,613

Post#9 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Jan 9, 2008 3:00 am

Can we please drop the Amir Johnson idea? Tyrus Thomas would make me do jumping jacks with joy but I doubt that happens just yet.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers