Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Dbodners Interview with Ed 

Post#1 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:05 am

http://blog.derekbodner.com/2008/01/17/ ... interview/

Sorry Dbods, I just wanted to scoop the story...
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#2 » by dbodner » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:08 am

the actual article should be going up any minute (I submitted it to the guys at realgm last night). that's the entire interview in its whole context, though. I obviously couldn't fit all the quotes in the article.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:12 am

Thanks, I'm just vreading it now. the most interesting part so far:

"Derek: Ideally, would you like to clear any more to get to a max contract?

Ed: Right now I
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#4 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:34 am

finished reading. Good interview. Its not easy to interview someone on the fly, and to avoid getting the cookie cutter answers that front men like to fall back on.

I think I lost something in this quote, did he basically praise Sam for being a nice guy, or was there something else he was saying about Sam as a leader amongst the players?

"Since I
barkley34
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#5 » by barkley34 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:31 am

Great interview Dabods. Learned more from your interview than 2 months worth of our beat writers columns. :lol:

I didn't like his comment that TK highlighted above about additional cap space. To me getting more space is a key to turning this situation around.
:-?
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 197

Post#6 » by 9th Wonder » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:42 am

While I don't see it as necessary to getting some help here, it certainly wouldn't hurt to have $3-5M more in cap space. I think Ed should be doing everything he can to free up some more space. I certainly wouldn't be opposed to trading the Utah pick with either Green or Evans to get additional expiring deals.

By the way, nice work dabods :)
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by dbodner » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:58 am

sorry, removed the transcript. The article will be up tomorrow morning.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by dbodner » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:00 am

I think I lost something in this quote, did he basically praise Sam for being a nice guy, or was there something else he was saying about Sam as a leader amongst the players?

Yeah. I kinda scratched my head a little bit on that one too. I replayed the tape about 10 times trying to figure out exactly what he meant. I think he was saying that Sam went out of his way to welcome him, but it ended up coming out a little awkward.

I definitely think we could clear another 5-6 more million. That part kinda disturbed me.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:13 am

I'm sure, even talking to a blogger- he wants to play his hand close to the vest.

If he comes out and says he wants to make a move top free up cap space he just made his job that much harder.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#10 » by tk76 » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:15 am

BTW- feel free to delete this post if you wish. Sorry for jumping the gun- now I guess you know how companies feel when there new stuff gets leaked on the web.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by dbodner » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:22 am

Ed probably treats RealGM with a little more scrutiny than a blogger too. Phil Jasner once wouldn't answer one of my emails because "I'm a RealGM columnist" (which he apparently figured out by himself, because I didn't include it in my email). I tried to explain to him that without getting paid, I don't know how you could consider me working for a media outlet, but he wouldn't listen. RealGM does actually have a few NBA teams as clients, and do interview execs/players fairly regularly (Chris Bosh is probably on the RealGM hoops show right now).

I wouldn't be surprised if he held back. That being said, I was much more expecting the stock "We wouldn't mind getting a little more space, but we're not going to give anyone away, either" answer. His response threw me off guard a little bit.

No problem about posting it. That was mea culpa. I thought about leaving it up there, but thought better about it.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#12 » by The Guilty Party » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:01 am

Well, I will say this Mr. Bodner... you are the king of teasers.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#13 » by The Sixer Fixer » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:46 am

As for the comment about feeling comfortable with the current cap room, does anyone think he's content because he has absolutely no intention of going after the big names like Okafor, Smith and Jamison (or the opt-out guys like Brand and Marion).

Maybe he doesn't see any of those guys as being the long term answer and the only way he intends to add the big time FA PF would be through a trade (Gasol/Amare?). Maybe he is targeting a cheaper option through FA, like Krstic.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,900

Post#14 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:52 am

dabods:

Got a chance to take a look at the article before you pulled it down...nice job.

Two things struck me - his belief that he sees Smith as a "top 8" player (which we all hope is the case, but it is still good to hear the GM think that as well), as well as the thought that he wants to do this the right way - which I assume means that if he can't find the right fit this offseason to spend the cap room on, that he won't do it (my assumption, but this would certainly be consistent with this thought).

Sounds like he thinks we have 6 of the "top 8" players already here - Sammy, Iggy, Miller, Williams (my assumption), Young and Smith....which means we still need that ever-elusive low-post PF and another wing player...my guess is that unless we get lucky with ping-pong balls, it sure sounds like he's gonna get that PF through a trade - using that $10-12 million to take on somebody else's contract.

We have to start thinking about that possibility more, IMO.
Fire BK
Senior

Post#15 » by Fire BK » Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:38 am

Solid work, Derek.

The Sixer Fixer wrote: does anyone think he's content because he has absolutely no intention of going after the big names like Okafor, Smith and Jamison (or the opt-out guys like Brand and Marion).

Absolutely. I've been perplexed to see people repeatedly propose these names over the last few months. For the last time, Josh Smith is NOT coming to Philly. Folks insist he's a PF because he gets 3 BPG, but he is NOT a post presence.

There's no way Eddie's breaking the bank on Elton Brand, a 29-year old PF coming off a very serious torn achilles. Brand's solid yet not explosive when healthy. Eddie's not throwing max money at him. Plus, there's no guarantee that he'll opt-out. He has a production company in L.A. and there's no evidence he wants to play in Philly whatsoever.

The idea of maxing out Gilbert Arenas is insane. Antawn Jamison is an interesting name, but he plays a more perimeter-oriented game than Ed is seeking. Shawn Marion is not a post player, either.

Emeka Okafor is the most intriguing name on the list, but Charlotte will match whatever the Sixers are willing to offer. Okafor is an injury-prone Dalembert clone, better suited as a defensive, shot-blocking 5 than a post-presence 4.

The best fits via free agency are 3 young, restricted FA's whose teams will match any offer sheet: Paul Millsap, Craig Smith, Ronny Turiaf. These 3 guys will be unavailable, and the other big names are terrible fits... it's obvious that any splash PF will have to come via trade.

Eddie's made it eminently clear that he will use his cap space to explore trades this summer rather than simply sign some big name. Nobody knows exactly who will become available come July via trade. But we can project who will become available right now via free agency. And none of them are good fits for the Sixers.

Furthermore, Iggy and Thad both play the same position. People think you can swing Iggy to a 2, but it's not his natural position. Both Iggy and Thad are natural SFs in the NBA. Again, Ed's strongest chip is the rights to re-sign Iggy. It's looking more and more like he'll use that chip in a sign-and-trade if an impact PF becomes available.

Obviously, you flip him and Sammy for Amare in a hot second. But this trade doesn't really help Phoenix. It appears Eddie wants to flip Iggy for a big name PF in a sign-and-trade. But if nobody worthwhile becomes available via trade, he'll wait until 2009. This free agent class is not as good for the Sixers as people think.
Hops2thesky
Starter

Post#16 » by Hops2thesky » Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:19 pm

Fire BK wrote:So

Emeka Okafor is the most intriguing name on the list, but Charlotte will match whatever the Sixers are willing to offer. Okafor is an injury-prone Dalembert clone, better suited as a defensive, shot-blocking 5 than a post-presence 4.

The best fits via free agency are 3 young, restricted FA's whose teams will match any offer sheet: Paul Millsap, Craig Smith, Ronny Turiaf. These 3 guys will be unavailable, and the other big names are terrible fits... it's obvious that any splash PF will have to come via trade.

Well, I must say, I would disagree about Emeka. He is not a super post presence, but he will give you 16 ppg from the post, with excellent defense. I would offer him a max contract, from the Sixers side.

You brought up three very interesting restricted free agents... Paul Millsap would be a very interesting player, that the Sixers could make a run at. He is not a post option either, but his rebounding and defense would be quite nice. He is Reggie Evans with a much better offensive game.

Another thought... What about Ike Diogo? I do not think he fits on the Pacers, and he might be available in trade, for a minor price. He is not a great rebounder or defender, but he has a very good low post game.
Fire BK
Senior

Post#17 » by Fire BK » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:14 pm

Emeka is the only name I'd consider throwing money at. But he's not a classic PF. Also, he has notorious back problems, which are frightening for a big man. Furthermore, it's a moot point because Charlotte will match.

Paul Millsap >>>>>>> Reggie Evans. Using those two names in the same sentence makes me shudder. Millsap knows how to finish around the rim, and is only getting better. He's reminiscent of Charles Oakley, with better post moves and less attitude. He would be absolutely perfect for the Sixers. Problem is, you won't be able to make a run at him until 2009. But he could be worth the wait.

Ike Diogu? Another very interesting name. Great low-post game. But Indy loves him, and he is the heir apparent if Jermaine O'Neal gets moved. Larry Bird/Donny Walsh are shrewd, and they are shopping O'Neal in trades, not Diogu. The only way you could potentially make a run at Diogu is if he opts out next summer (again, 2009). But the Pacers are likely to match any offer with O'Neal probably gone by then.

One more intriguing name to this list of bargain basement PF's is Brandon Bass on Dallas. He's getting paid peanuts through next summer (2009), and Dallas obviously has their PF of the future. Donnie Nelson could easily be lured into a sign-and-trade with Iggy. I know many will jump down my throat for suggesting such a thing, but Brandon Bass is a player. The Sixers desperately need a PF and Bass is looking like a prototype 4. Or perhaps you wait until Summer 2009 and make a run at Bass in free agency. But Cuban's deep pockets will probably match any offer sheet.

Point is, you've got to think outside the box. Simply looking at the list of big name FA's is shortsighted. Eddie's not going that route. He'll either sign-and-trade in July or wait until summer 2009 for the right fit via FA.
STChaser
Starter

Post#18 » by STChaser » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:20 pm

Are there any PF's in this year's draft class who we have a chance of getting? Obviously, I know that Beasly would suffice, but are there no PF's after him who could come here and fill the role we need? I would much rather keep Iguodala and slide him to SG (as much as some here think that would not work).

STChaser
Fire BK
Senior

Post#19 » by Fire BK » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:37 pm

It's not that I don't think Iggy will work as a 2, per se, it's just that he is definitely Ed's strongest chip right now. And if Ed's going to turn this thing around, he's got to get creative.

It's not a great draft for PF's after Beasely. The next tier includes:

Patrick Patterson - Kentucky
Jason Thompson - Rider
Kevin Love - UCLA

But these guys probably won't warrant the 6-10 pick where the Sixers will probably be drafting from.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#20 » by SouthJersey » Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:40 pm

I think Darrel Arthur is legit and he certainly has the tools to be a player in the NBA, however, I do not see him listed on NBADRAFT. net. He is listed as 11th pick on draftexpress.com and is be taking by your 6ers.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers