ImageImageImage

WIP: Rumblings about a trade with Iguodala?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

barkley34
Veteran
And1: 0

Re: WIP: Rumblings about a trade with Iguodala? 

Post#61 » by barkley34 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:10 pm

Detroit's veteran players all look great they are like a car lot full of sharp Corvettes. The problem is except for Prince they all have over 150,000 miles on them. :D They look awesome on the surface but are about to break down at any moment. I think Rip,Billups and Sheed are going to break down in the near future. They have just been through too many long playoff battles and have serious wear and tear for their ages. When you go to all the consecutive ECF's that they have than you have some big time wear and tear on your body.

Trading Iggy for Rip might look good for a year or two but would be a mistake long term IMO.
psykosacul
Head Coach

Post#62 » by psykosacul » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:30 pm

tk76 wrote:Iguodala might have the "Robin" #2 scoring role this year, but I expect Thad to be the #2 score as soon as 2 years from now. Assuming his contract isn't horrible, then Iguodala will be a fantastic #3 option/facilitator down the road. That should also allow him to re-emerge as a force on the defensive end.

Most top teams pay 3 guys 10M+, so I'm fine with Iguodala getting paid and only being the 3rd best option on offense- especially since he brings an all around game.

The bigger question is how will Iguodala adapt to no longer being the focal point on offense. People assume he would be happy taking l;ess shots- but that remains to be seen. I actually am optimistic that with winning he can embrace his role as more of a complementary score/creator.

his history all the way back to college is that he is not a natural offensive player. there is a strong argument to be made that he only scored 20 pts per game the past two seasons because 1, he was forced into the "star" role by the team when it traded iverson and did not get a dominant scorer in return, and 2, he was in a contract year and started to realize and embrace that he needed to score to get the kind of money he was looking for.

i think iggy is a better player when he doesnt feel like he has to be "the man". he was very valuble on his arizona teams, and easily faded into the background offensively with iverson but still maintained his effort in other areas (something not many "stars" do well.)
"get that hippy crap out of here." - the standford standout
psykosacul
Head Coach

Post#63 » by psykosacul » Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:47 pm

barkley34 wrote:
Trading Iggy for Rip might look good for a year or two but would be a mistake long term IMO.

richard hamilton is 30 years old and known to be one of the most well conditioned athletes in the league. im sure his games played is higher than many 30 year olds but still man... 30. its his prime.

im not attacking you here, but i think there is a growing trend among fans to look toward the future and potential even when they have a strong team staring them in the face. this isnt 2k9. you cant win with a team full of 23 year olds. i think this team now has to recognize that the time is now. and the fans need to see that too. if they traded thad for a guy like richard jefferson, or artest i would be thrilled. and you know some people would complain and talk about how we traded away the future. sure id be sad that we wouldnt get to see thad grow, and maybe he will be a better player than them SOMEDAY. but we have a window RIGHT NOW.

long term schmong term man. if we can get an all-star for iggy, i would do it in a heartbeat. this team is a couple of 3pointers away from having no glaring weakness. thats amazing. i really dont care if we give up potential or the future for a 3 year title run. they are few and far between.
"get that hippy crap out of here." - the standford standout
76erinSJ
Senior

Post#64 » by 76erinSJ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 9:26 pm

Rip would be the perfect SG for our team. If we could send Iggy and Smith for Wallace and Rip I would def do it.

Sammy/Brand/Wallace/Rip/Miller would be a top 2 team in the East and we would have Miller and Wallace expiring this year.

I just dont see it happening.
Andre Miller is a bad 3pt shooter.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#65 » by tk76 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:04 pm

76erinSJ wrote:Rip would be the perfect SG for our team. If we could send Iggy and Smith for Wallace and Rip I would def do it.

Sammy/Brand/Wallace/Rip/Miller would be a top 2 team in the East and we would have Miller and Wallace expiring this year.

I just dont see it happening.

I am confused. Who plays SF for that team- and isn't that a pretty aging roster

27/29/32/31/32 years old is still a roster in its prime, but usually players of that age are headed towards their decline in the next few years.

i would rather have a good roster that is both comparatively young and still on its way up. Maybe you would get a CHIP with your roster, but it would bneed to be blown up in 2 years due to age.
76erinSJ
Senior

Post#66 » by 76erinSJ » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:08 pm

The point is to win a chip and if you do then its fine if it is blown up in two years. We are not going to build a dynasty.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#67 » by 51X3RF4N » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:09 am

Wait, Wallace at the 3? Who defends Paul Pierce when Ray Allen and Rondo are on the court?
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
barkley34
Veteran

Post#68 » by barkley34 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:42 am

psykosacul wrote:
barkley34 wrote:

richard hamilton is 30 years old and known to be one of the most well conditioned athletes in the league. im sure his games played is higher than many 30 year olds but still man... 30. its his prime.

im not attacking you here, but i think there is a growing trend among fans to look toward the future and potential even when they have a strong team staring them in the face. this isnt 2k9. you cant win with a team full of 23 year olds. i think this team now has to recognize that the time is now. and the fans need to see that too. if they traded thad for a guy like richard jefferson, or artest i would be thrilled. and you know some people would complain and talk about how we traded away the future. sure id be sad that we wouldnt get to see thad grow, and maybe he will be a better player than them SOMEDAY. but we have a window RIGHT NOW.

long term schmong term man. if we can get an all-star for iggy, i would do it in a heartbeat. this team is a couple of 3pointers away from having no glaring weakness. thats amazing. i really dont care if we give up potential or the future for a 3 year title run. they are few and far between.

Ha ha, I hear ya Bro, 26 years has been a long time. Rip would definitely gives us a better chance of the championship in the next 2 years. I would just worry about him breaking down after that. I wouldn't jump off a bridge or anything if we did that deal because right now Rip is definitely better than Iggy.
sixers hoops
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 3,070

Post#69 » by sixers hoops » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:07 am

psykosacul wrote: i think there is a growing trend among fans to look toward the future and potential even when they have a strong team staring them in the face. this isnt 2k9. you cant win with a team full of 23 year olds. i think this team now has to recognize that the time is now. and the fans need to see that too. if they traded thad for a guy like richard jefferson, or artest i would be thrilled. and you know some people would complain and talk about how we traded away the future. sure id be sad that we wouldnt get to see thad grow, and maybe he will be a better player than them SOMEDAY. but we have a window RIGHT NOW.

I agree. If Eddie thinks there is a move or two that could give us a legitimate shot at a title, then trading Thad and Speights is something he should reluctantly do if necessary.

You have a major piece of the puzzle in his prime in Brand, so if I can add players who give us a real shot to win now, then I do it.

I just don't agree with mortgaging the future to get us to the second-round. Trades like Tim Thomas for Tyrone Hill, Larry Hughes for Kukoc are moves that add solid players, but not guys that put you over the top.

Ultimately, I would be fine with moving Iggs, Thad, Speights, etc, for the right player.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#70 » by sixerfan1976 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:24 pm

This trade rumor from WIP the other day that details were not spilled on....I found out what it was about.

Its not on the front burner..but there were some conversations of a trade that would send Reggie Evans and a signed and traded Andre Iguodala for Tracy McGrady. Filler would be added on both sides.

Its not close....it may not happen....but its still alive. Discussions are/were taking place.

There is something to liven up the otherwise boring day of Sixer news.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#71 » by 51X3RF4N » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:47 pm

HAHA! I knew it!
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#72 » by sixerfan1976 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:49 pm

to keep things sane..all other updates on mcgrady i will be doing in the offseason thread
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#73 » by 51X3RF4N » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:55 pm

Thanks SF...I knew there had to be something to it.

Now, to discuss it...

Does anyone think bringing in TMAC would be a good idea? If Miller, Brand, Thad, Daly, Speights, and LW could all remain Sixers, would you do it?

We'd have a pretty damn good lineup. And Evans really becomes expendable since Speights has shown he is a beast.

Daly/Smith
Brand/Speights
Thad/Novak(filler)
TMAC/WG
Miller/LW

The filler for us could be WG or Smith, or even some picks in the future.

We really would have a "big 3" capable of competing with Boston.

TMAC vs. Allen
Thad vs. Pierce
Brand vs. KG
Daly vs. Perkins
Miller vs. Rondo

I like those odds. TMAC would immediately become a GREAT option with Brand. Thad can still take his time developing his offense and doesn't have to worry as much. TMAC still defends pretty decently, not great, but not the worst. Miller would have more options. I would think if all it took was Iggy, Evans, Smith, an 09 1st and two future 2nds, and we got TMAC, Novak, maybe Francis? I would do that in a second.

Daly/Speights
Brand
Thad/Novak
TMac/WG/LW
Miller/Francis

We could rotate TMac to the 3 spot when we want LW to come in. Speights and Thad can play the 4 also. We give up some depth in terms of bigs, but we add to our shooting. And we add a number 1 offensive threat and a clutch clutch player.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#74 » by 51X3RF4N » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:56 pm

OK my bad man. I'll hop over there..
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
jmon
Junior

Post#75 » by jmon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:49 pm

Is TMac an upgrade over Iguodala?
bballin76
Senior
And1: 10

Post#76 » by bballin76 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:06 pm

jmon wrote:Is TMac an upgrade over Iguodala?

Yes.
Shav
Freshman

Post#77 » by Shav » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:10 pm

bballin76 wrote:

Yes.

NO effing way
jmon
Junior

Post#78 » by jmon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:24 pm

bballin76 wrote:

Yes.

In what ways?
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#79 » by UptownPhilly » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:15 pm

T-Mac is a major uprgrade over Iguodala. He's a natural scorer, and true #1 option. The only knock on T-Mac is durability. Another slight concern his history of not winning in the playoffs. However, if he came here, we'd probably be able to knock the Celtics out of the EC finals, and have a better chance of winning it all.

If all we have to offer for T-Mac is Iguodala, Evans, and a First Round Pick, we have to take advantage of that offer.

Miller/Williams
T-Mac/Green
Young
Brand/Speights
Dalembert/Smith
jmon
Junior

Post#80 » by jmon » Sat Jul 19, 2008 9:39 pm

Roletagg wrote:

T-Mac is a major uprgrade over Iguodala. He's a natural scorer, and true #1 option. The only knock on T-Mac is durability. Another slight concern his history of not winning in the playoffs. However, if he came here, we'd probably be able to knock the Celtics out of the EC finals, and have a better chance of winning it all.

Iguodala outproduced McGrady last year though and showed himself to be a better scorer no matter what metric you want to use... so I will respectfully have to disagree.

That is only looking at last year. Perhaps you can explain why he shot 29% from the 3 point line and why that will be different for the Sixers. I think it was because of his back, which hasn't been healthy for years, so I will have to say he won't be better that Iguodala would be.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers