Golden State trying to sign Williams???

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

IversonsMother
Analyst
And1: 1

Golden State trying to sign Williams??? 

Post#1 » by IversonsMother » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:02 pm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... tes-080719

Hopefully we don't have to overspend to get him back.
tanman636
Junior
And1: 0

Re: Golden State trying to sign Williams??? 

Post#2 » by tanman636 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:09 pm

how much money do the Warriors have left?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,708

Post#3 » by eyeatoma » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:22 pm

I doubt this happens. Didn't we just see an article that said that we were close to resigning lou...and should expect an announcement soon?
83SixersRocked
Head Coach
And1: 609

Post#4 » by 83SixersRocked » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:28 pm

eyeatoma wrote:I doubt this happens. Didn't we just see an article that said that we were close to resigning lou...and should expect an announcement soon?

I hope we are close to signing him. He's been a very pleasant surprise and is a nice option off the bench. Anybody have a feel for how he likes playing in Philly? I haven't heard much from him at all. He definitely deserves a nice raise; hopefully he's not asking for too much of one.

I watched the playoffs last year and one moment disturbed me a little. Mo was talking to him and Lou was heading onto the court. Mo had to call him back. From a distance it seemed like he might have been blowing Mo off, but appearances can be deceiving.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#5 » by 51X3RF4N » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:46 pm

Well, the link didn't work for me, but unless it says Lou is looking to sign with them, it ain't gonna happen. Remember about a week or two ago when there was an article that his agent was quoted in? He said they hade been fielding calls all along, but telling teams they weren't interested because Lou wants to be in Philly.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#6 » by 51X3RF4N » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:34 pm

Ok I've read the column now. That is a bit scary, but I really think LW likes it here. The other option, the trade route he talked about, is intriguing. What would they offer us? What would it take for us to actually trade LW?
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
MicrOLak3R
Junior

Post#7 » by MicrOLak3R » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:40 pm

Finally!! I'm glad Lou is leavin!! He's a sorry excuse for a NBA Player.
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant

Post#8 » by 51X3RF4N » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:48 pm

Trolls? lol..
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#9 » by Cookin Baskets » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:50 pm

:D ^ Wow, someone hasn't watched the 76ers last season, Lou Will was huge for us last year. To say he was sorry excuse for a player makes a sorry excuse for a poster or for matter of fact a true fan.

Lou Will hit clutch shots, he finally showed his potential and trust he could be our future starting point guard for Philly after Miller is gone. Lou Will could be a future all-star..even if he hasn't he will clearly make a great 6th man for years to come.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#10 » by UptownPhilly » Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:53 pm

MicrOLak3R wrote:Finally!! I'm glad Lou is leavin!! He's a sorry excuse for a NBA Player.

Are you expecting laughter?

Am I the only one, or can anyone else see Louis Williams becoming a capable starting PG this season?

With Brand, His shot percentage will increase, and with increased play from everyone, his tasks as a playmaker should be much easier.
Sandalf42
Pro Prospect
And1: 12

Post#11 » by Sandalf42 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:54 am

If they still hope to resign both Monta Ellis and Andre Biedrins, they can't make an offer to Louis Williams that wouldn't be a good price for us. Not really a concern. Also if word on the street is he's close to signing with us, then that's great news.
Micheal:.... I mean, you wouldn't arrest a guy who just deals drugs from one person to another.
Sid the Squid
Banned User
And1: 9

Post#12 » by Sid the Squid » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:30 am

I think we can offer him 5years/22 million...Would you guys have no problem matching that and still be able to afford Iggy?
darius08
Bench Warmer
And1: 10

Post#13 » by darius08 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:50 am

We'd match that eaily
UCFknight84
Rookie

Post#14 » by UCFknight84 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:00 am

as a magic fan, wililams lit us up everytime we played you guys with his incredible athleticism and upper body strength, this dude is a future 20-25ppg player in the nba, but wow would he be amazing with montay in the backcourt for the fastbreaking GSW. He'd fit perfectly with their system
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
Teddy Roosevelt
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,878

Post#15 » by 76ciology » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:51 pm

I'd be totally honest, the Sixers are about to underpaid Louis Williams. And with Louis William's work ethic and dedication to the team, I think that we ought to give him the money he deserve. Thus, I can see the Sixers matching GSW's offer. And he might get a salary close to the proposed 5/22m deal.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#16 » by The Sixer Fixer » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:48 pm

If all that GS can offer to start is about 4 million, I see no way Ed won't match that. To be honest, I assume we have already offered him more than that so I doubt Lou would even be interested in GS.

If by some chance they do sign him to an offer sheet, at a MINIMUM we better attempt to make it a S/T deal with us getting Belinelli (the shooter we lack) in return. Would you be willing to let Lou go if we could do a Lou/Jason Smith for Belinelli/B. Wright trade? I'd put serious thought into that. We would give up the best player (right now), but would add 2 guys who could fit our system very well. Smith fits the GS system too since Nellie likes shooters and Smith gives them the ability to continue spreading the floor when he's out there.
PowerElite
Banned User

Post#17 » by PowerElite » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:56 pm

Belinelli is quite possibly the worst defensive player in the entire NBA. He may one day very soon be amongst the best 3 point shooters but he has no talent for playing defense. Early on with Korver you could see the mental concentration and effort he placed into defense but he didn't have the physical gifts. Now Korver is a much better individual defensive player and a terrific team defender. Belinelli has the physical gifts but the cogs in his brain just aren't designed for defensive purposes, he's a 100% Euro offensive player.Nellie a guy that doesn't preach defense admitted that he didn't play Belinelli due to his bad defense, that's really too telling. If Pat Riley or Jeff Van Gundy didn't play Belinelli for that reason then okay, but Nelli? Furthermore I watched Quincy Douby put on a clinic against Belinelli's defense.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#18 » by The Sixer Fixer » Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:50 pm

Belinelli is not a good defender, not going to argue that, but let's be honest...Lou is an awful defender too. Korver was, is and will always be a bad defender. He's got possibly the slowest set of feet for a guy his size. People give him extra credit for effort, but effort doesn't mean squat if you have nothing else to go with it.

As for Nellie not playing Belinelli soley because of his D, I think that is way overstaded. Nellie is notorious for not playing rookies. Even their high pick Wright got virtually no time last year. They were trying to win games and they had a lot of depth so you can't pin his non-playing time simply on not being a good defender. Heck, Ellis is a horrible defender too.

Also, I'm not going to evaluate a guy's defense based on a big game someone had in the summer league. There is virtually no D or team concept basketball played there (unless you consider fouling a style of D). Most guys are just looking to make a statement on offense and couldn't care less about D.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#19 » by tk76 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:17 pm

I am a huge Bellineli fan, but to say equate his defense with Lou's is not fair to Lou. Lou could be a bad NBA defender, but would still be head and shoulders ahead of Bellineli. At this point you can't even put Belinelli out there for extended minutes because he won't play D- while LouW has already established that he can make a positive impact over extended minutes.

Lou is an established player ready to break out. Belinelli is a developmental player with great potenial as a shooter.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Post#20 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:11 pm

stories like this are generated all the time by agents trying to get the player's price higher by insisting that another team is about to make an offer for him.

Last week, it was the Clippers about to sign almost every decent free agent that was left: Okafur, Smith, Andre, Deng. As it turned out, none of it was true as Clippers went for Camby instead.

No one is going to believe a story that Memphis is about to sign someone, so the Warriors are about the only other team available at this time for these kinds of stories.
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb

Return to Philadelphia 76ers