ImageImageImage

Golden State trying to sign Williams???

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

IversonsMother
Analyst
And1: 1

Re: Golden State trying to sign Williams??? 

Post#31 » by IversonsMother » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:39 am

I highly doubt any team is going to offer Williams $40 million at this point in his career.
Stanford
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 16,953

Post#32 » by Stanford » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:03 am

Louis Williams at 8 million a year would be one of the worst contracts in the nba.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#33 » by richboy » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:55 am

-bob- wrote:richboy, where'd you hear that? it sounds believable, I'm just wondering.

I was just flying back from San Francisco and was sitting next to someone who says he use to work in the Warrior office but now was looking at a job with OKC. I guess he still has some friends in the front office. He said that Mullin made a mistake going after Turiaf first. That was his opinion but I don't think the feeling of the front office. He said he was trying to get cap space to make a serious offer at another free agent. That the agent wanted something above the MLE to start first year. He felt it was either JR Smith or LW.

8 million would be overspend right now. Some may think LW is about to become a very good NBA player and that money might seem pretty good in a few years. How good do Phili fans think LW can become.
Fire BK
Senior
And1: 0

Post#34 » by Fire BK » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:45 am

Lou Williams ain't going anywhere, folks.

As previously alluded to,
(1) this is typical agent stuff
(2) we have room to match 5/22
(3) lou's skill set (shooting and PG potential) renders him arguably more important to the future of the Sixers than Iggy (with Thad in tow)...

With almost $14 mil to spend between Iggy & Lou, we will be hard-pressed to see a scenario where Eddie wouldn't match an offer to Lou for at least half of what Iggy's making.... In other words, if we match Mullin's potential offer of 5/22, that still leaves $10 mil to sign Iggy. And nobody is paying more than that for Iggy.

The Sixers are in the driver's seat, people. Thank your shrewd GM. He's played every card correctly since taking over... There is no longer a market for Iggy. And Stefanski won't go all BK on the scene and outbid himself.

Furthermore, folks are forgetting that Stefanski already said he expects Lou to compete for the starting SG slot. . . . Well here's the first round of competition. RFA salaries. And gracias a dios, our brilliant GM maneuvered enough room to sign both. Book it.
-bob-
RealGM
And1: 41

Post#35 » by -bob- » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:49 am

richboy wrote:I was just flying back from San Francisco and was sitting next to someone who says he use to work in the Warrior office but now was looking at a job with OKC. I guess he still has some friends in the front office. He said that Mullin made a mistake going after Turiaf first. That was his opinion but I don't think the feeling of the front office. He said he was trying to get cap space to make a serious offer at another free agent. That the agent wanted something above the MLE to start first year. He felt it was either JR Smith or LW.

8 million would be overspend right now. Some may think LW is about to become a very good NBA player and that money might seem pretty good in a few years. How good do Phili fans think LW can become.

I'm guessing they want to be able to match Azubuike's $3M offer sheet and then still have enough capspace for another free agent. Right now if they matched Azubuike they would only have about $2.5M in capspace left.
Phillyboy
Analyst
And1: 19

Post#36 » by Phillyboy » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:41 am

Again there should be no surprise that Lou might get an offer to go elsewhere. If we were GMs around the league, doing our homework of course, we would have targeted Williams as one of the "best buy" opportunities on the market.

He's shown more than just flashes. He's been consistently good. Says a lot about how he'll play moving into the meat of his career.

Plus he's very young and a solid individual. The whole league has seen enough of him to know. This is a great signing (hope it's us) because barring injury we can be pretty certain we'll get all 5 good years of the contract out of him.

Williams is an excellent investment. I hope we match even if it's the MLE. Lou looks like he'll be a good player for a long time and I just don't want to see him get away.
Shav
Freshman

Post#37 » by Shav » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:31 pm

I think I just read Clippers signed Azubike to an offer sheet. Assuming he walks free and clear from the Warriors get few more $$'s in cap and this could make things a little more trickier on the LouWill front.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#38 » by tk76 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 1:22 pm

I don't know about 8M, but I wouldn't mind Lou getting some kind of frontloaded contract. Give him 6-7M this year and then decline every year after that. The Sixers are under the tax, so might as well spend now and leave space later.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#39 » by ckchen » Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:36 pm

Shav wrote:I think I just read Clippers signed Azubike to an offer sheet. Assuming he walks free and clear from the Warriors get few more $$'s in cap and this could make things a little more trickier on the LouWill front.

Azubuike was making the league minimum this hardly changes GSW's cap situation, if at all.
Sixersfan87
Sophomore

Post#40 » by Sixersfan87 » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:08 pm

Now thats GS took Marcus Williams (who could put up some decent assist numbers in nellie's offense), it looks like we're safe with Lou Will as far as they go. Other than a team like Cleveland, who still has its MLE to spend since Gibson doesn't count against them, it's looking pretty good for Lou coming back next season. Can anyone else think of a team that might possibly make a run at him?
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#41 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:07 pm

The Warriors can most definitely be scratched off as a team going after Lou now that they got Marcus. I understand why the Iguodala talks are taking as long as they are but Lou isn't in the same boat. Now that GSW is out of the picture, perhaps we will see him sign a deal in the next couple of days.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers