Sixers sign Kareem Rush per Eskin

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Re: Sixers sign Kareem Rush per Eskin 

Post#61 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:35 pm

geiger wrote:I still don't see anything about Rush signing here.

I do believe it is listed as "BREAKING NEWS" on ESPNews right now.

..... wait.... what's that???... oh, no one outside of this message board gives a damn about Kareem Rush agreeing to a minimum contract with the Seventy-Sixers. I imagine this will be listed as a blurb in a Jasner column in the coming days but like Ivey, it won't be announced until after the Iguodala situation is resolved.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#62 » by ckchen » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:38 pm

As for Evans and Green - their contracts lead them to have negative trade values. Not only will we find a hard time getting anything in return for them, we might have to give something else up just to get someone to take one of those players. I think Evans as a PF, has more value than Green, but he has a worse contract as well. Who wants to pay $5 million a year for 3 years to such a limited role player? If he was a center, sure - as an undersized PF who can't score - not so much. That's why I think Orlando is one of the few teams that might have interest so long as we kick in $3 million in the trade to cover part of Evans's 3rd year contract.

Why are we even discussing trying to trade Evans and Green when we basically all agree they have no trade value. We only have 10 players under contract people - just because we signed Brand doesn't make Evans useless - and we certainly don't have a ton of guards. We shouldn't be talking about trading them at all - last time I checked we still need to field a team of 12 guys minimum - so it's not like we need the roster space so we can sign even worse, marginal players for the NBA minimum to take their places on the roster. For all of their faults, both WG and Evans have value to the Sixers, and frankly, because of their veteran experience, will probably play ahead of rookies like Speights or even Jason Smith. If they don't - they become the 11th and 12th men on the bench, fine. But if we agree they have no trade value - we shouldn't even be talking about trading them - especially now when you're talking about adding in additional assets just to be rid of them.

They are both professional and good character guys - why are some people on this board insistent on trying to dump them regardless of the cost to us? I'd rather WG and Evans on my team than 99% of the UDFA scrubs and washed out NBA FAs out there.
IggyTheBEaST
RealGM
And1: 0

Post#63 » by IggyTheBEaST » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:39 pm

not gonna get too excited till I see the proof but if its true, its a fantastic pick up. Rush is under rated imo. If he signs he will makie a great addition to our squad
===========

ITBs Dream Team:

Iverson/Iggy/Lebron/Amare/Dwight

I <3 Thaddeous
PowerElite
Banned User

Post#64 » by PowerElite » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:40 pm

The Sixers now have some real offense coming off of the bench. Lou, Green, Rush, and from what Speights has shown in the SL combine to give use our best bench on paper in quite a while. I believe they will all bring to the floor what we expect of them.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#65 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:41 pm

I e-mailed Jasner to see if he knows anything about this.
Sixerscan
Senior Mod - 76ers
Senior Mod - 76ers
And1: 16,055

Post#66 » by Sixerscan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:14 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:I e-mailed Jasner to see if he knows anything about this.

Sorry but you'll have to wait for my scoop in tomorrow's paper just like everyone else!
jmon
Junior

Post#67 » by jmon » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:19 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:but like Ivey, it won't be announced until after the Iguodala situation is resolved.

Ed just announced the Ivey signing...

EDIT: link: http://www.nba.com/sixers/news/royal_ivey_080728.html
STChaser
Starter

Post#68 » by STChaser » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:22 pm

ckchen wrote:

As for Evans and Green - their contracts lead them to have negative trade values. Not only will we find a hard time getting anything in return for them, we might have to give something else up just to get someone to take one of those players. I think Evans as a PF, has more value than Green, but he has a worse contract as well. Who wants to pay $5 million a year for 3 years to such a limited role player? If he was a center, sure - as an undersized PF who can't score - not so much. That's why I think Orlando is one of the few teams that might have interest so long as we kick in $3 million in the trade to cover part of Evans's 3rd year contract.

Why are we even discussing trying to trade Evans and Green when we basically all agree they have no trade value. We only have 10 players under contract people - just because we signed Brand doesn't make Evans useless - and we certainly don't have a ton of guards. We shouldn't be talking about trading them at all - last time I checked we still need to field a team of 12 guys minimum - so it's not like we need the roster space so we can sign even worse, marginal players for the NBA minimum to take their places on the roster. For all of their faults, both WG and Evans have value to the Sixers, and frankly, because of their veteran experience, will probably play ahead of rookies like Speights or even Jason Smith. If they don't - they become the 11th and 12th men on the bench, fine. But if we agree they have no trade value - we shouldn't even be talking about trading them - especially now when you're talking about adding in additional assets just to be rid of them.

They are both professional and good character guys - why are some people on this board insistent on trying to dump them regardless of the cost to us? I'd rather WG and Evans on my team than 99% of the UDFA scrubs and washed out NBA FAs out there.

Agreed. But I brought those two names up because they appear to be spare parts and we NEED a backup 3 and perhaps backup 5. If you look at the depth, we have a possible PG in Lou behind Miller. We now have Green, Ivey, and potentially Rush backing up Iguodala. We only have Iguodala (who's already a starter) backing up Thaddeus; We have Speights, Evans, and Smith backing up Brand, and we have only Smith to back up Sam - I don't see Speights as a 5. That being the case, I would rather jettison some of our extra pieces for more urgent needs.

Again, I LIKE Evans. But my concern is that Evans is going to take Speights' minutes and I see Speights as being able to contribute now, regardless of what has been said by the front office.

STChaser
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#69 » by LongLiveHinkie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:34 pm

Eskin said it will be official tomorrow just a few min ago on WIP.
ckchen
Veteran
And1: 574

Post#70 » by ckchen » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:03 pm

STChaser wrote:Agreed. But I brought those two names up because they appear to be spare parts and we NEED a backup 3 and perhaps backup 5. If you look at the depth, we have a possible PG in Lou behind Miller. We now have Green, Ivey, and potentially Rush backing up Iguodala. We only have Iguodala (who's already a starter) backing up Thaddeus; We have Speights, Evans, and Smith backing up Brand, and we have only Smith to back up Sam - I don't see Speights as a 5. That being the case, I would rather jettison some of our extra pieces for more urgent needs.

Again, I LIKE Evans. But my concern is that Evans is going to take Speights' minutes and I see Speights as being able to contribute now, regardless of what has been said by the front office.

As we've all seen before, success in the summer leagues doesn't necessarily mean that Speights is actually ready for the NBA - not to mention the length of the season. Having Smith and Speights be the only backups at 4 and 5 is actually not enough in my opinion. Evans allows you to give both Smith and Speights minutes at the 5, which either one is perfectly capable of handling in limited backup minutes.

The same goes for WG - playing WG at the 2 allows you to move Iguodala up and create more time/flexibility to use Iguodala, Young, or now (presuming he is signed) Rush at the 3.

My point is that if you're not getting any value for WG or Evans, why bother even thinking about trading them? They might not play the 3 and 5 positions you think we need, but they both allow the flexibility to have others fill those spaces. Unless you're getting equal (or better) value - there's no point. You're better off just signing FAs to fill that 3 or 5 spot you think is a hole instead of trading Green/Evans for lesser or no value.
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,528

Post#71 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:18 pm

I couldn't be happier with what the team has done this offseason. I am with the group that believes Green should be shipped out. I like Evans and would hate to see him go but would part with him if it was the only way to get rid of Green. I hope Rush takes his job.
ojr107
Veteran

Post#72 » by ojr107 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:19 pm

Good signing. He was an excellent three point shooter last year, and slightly above average for his career. If he can shoot the way he did last year, he will be a great fit. Even he is only shoots .36 from beyond, he still will give us some much needed outside shooting.
geiger
Banned User

Post#73 » by geiger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:49 pm

On a one year contract for the minimum, considering what's out there, he's a nice signing. If someone expects him to come in here and shoot 42% from 3 while making several a game, they will be disappointed beyond belief. But I do think he can hit about 38% and knock down about 1 a game as a part time player.

I think Smith and Speights combined can back up Brand and we have little need for Evans. They can also get a few minutes at C each. However, I do believe we need to add one legitimate NBA center for depth purposes. It doesn't have to be anyone great - a big body who can give a few minutes in case Dalembert has to miss any significant time due to injury, which hopefully won't happen. David Harrison, Francisco Elson, Kwame Brown, Earl Barron type player - one year for the league minimum.

We also need to add another SF. I'm not sure if there is anyone out there who is a solid pure shooter and good overall player that we can land for the minimum - don't think Finley will come and Ricky Davis should get more money elsewhere. Luke Jackson is probably not good enough a shooter to gamble on. If we can get Quinton Ross for the minimum, I'd take him. He can't shoot a lick, but he's a solid defensive player and good hustle guy off the bench.

In an ideal world, we can move both Green and Evans and get decent value in return, but I just don't see it happening. Would Orlando deal Brian Cook and JJ Reddick for Evans, 2nd round pick and $3 million? Maybe. Not sure if there is anyone out there who would want Green - I would give Detroit a call to see if they would be interested in a sign and trade of Walter Herrmann for Green if Herrmann hasn't signed in Europe yet - he could be a nice combo forward who plays a lot of 3 fo rus and would be a better fit. Especially if we can get him to sign for 2 years as oppposed to 3 Green has on his contract, but I doubt Dumars bites. Don't see anyone else being overly interested in Green.
is1531
Banned User

Post#74 » by is1531 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:39 pm

Sold. Where can I sign on for the Charley V deal for Evans and Green. I will take one good athlete anytime over 2 stiff athletes. It makes the 76ers a more athletic team. Make that deal Ed! Maybe the Bucks will remember the 32 point game Willie laid on them 3 years ago,lol.
is1531
Banned User

Post#75 » by is1531 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:46 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:I e-mailed Jasner to see if he knows anything about this.

Lol, did you really E mail Juice Jasner. He is always 24 hours behind the pack. Do you really expect a scoop from Juice? The 76ers call time!
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#76 » by LongLiveHinkie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:10 pm

Comcast Sportsnet confirmed the report.
is1531
Banned User

Post#77 » by is1531 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:11 pm

sixers hoops wrote:
geiger wrote:while he likes to pretend that he broke the news on Brand, he didn't talk about it until it was all over ESPN as a possibility. Once it was out there, he merely confirmed what was reported in the national media from the team, to which he has access as a local reporter. He then took credit for "breaking" it - which in his world means being the first WIP jerk-off to actually mention it on the radio.

This is not accurate. He did report it well before ESPN. I just happened to be listening that evening because it was close to the signing period and he reported it, I posted it on another forum prior to ESPN evening mentioning it. I would have made a thread here at realgm, but I didn't really believe and just mentioned it on another forum during a conversation.

I though we realistically had no shot at Brand and didn't take it very seriously, but he was the first to mention it when it was assumed by all that a Josh Smith offer was imminent.

Nonetheless, I am not assuming that Rush is already part of the team, but there is nothing to discuss anyway so we may as well give opinions IF it is true.

Eskim mentioned it around 3:05 pm as Gargano and Steve were getting ready to sign off . I heard Eskin report it first, well before ESPN.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#78 » by LongLiveHinkie » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:14 pm

Yea, the Eskin hating has got to stop. You may find him annoying, which I do as well, but his sources are good and he breaks more stories than anyone else in this town.

and he is RARELY ever wrong. In fact, I don't think he ever was wrong.

No, the Billy Wagner thing doesn't count. That was his own personal opinion, not information from his sources. Whenever he gets info from a source, it is right on the money.
geiger
Banned User

Post#79 » by geiger » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:44 pm

Don't get carried away with Eskin breaking stuff before ESPN. It might be true for a story like Rush, of which only a die hard Sixer fan would care about. It's certainly not true for national interest stories like Elton Brand. That being said, out of all the guys on WIP, he's the only one who is a legitimate reporter, even though he's a huge jerk. At least he does have sources instead of just being a loud mouth.
IversonsMother
Analyst
And1: 1

Post#80 » by IversonsMother » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:50 pm

Not sure what to think of this signing. I like Rush off the bench for a few mins, but he isn't a great 3 point shooter. He shot a good % last season, but don't forget it was in Jim O' Briens system where everyone is welcome to shoot from the perimeter at any time.

I think Greens days are numbered.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers