ImageImageImage

Andre Miller

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Andre Miller 

Post#81 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:49 am

In hindsight, don't you wish we had the #1 pick and could've selected Rose.

Rose
Iggy
Thad
Brand
Daly

Can only dream.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,512

Post#82 » by youngcrev » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:15 am

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:In hindsight, don't you wish we had the #1 pick and could've selected Rose.

Rose
Iggy
Thad
Brand
Daly

Can only dream.

In hindsight?
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#83 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:20 am

I don't think you need to look in hindsight to wish to have the #1 pick...
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,779

Post#84 » by Skates » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:35 am

The Guilty Party wrote:It's not up to just us as far as whether he re-signs here. Presumably, we need to convince Miller to not only stay on the East Coast but we will also need to convince him that he will like playing for our new coach (Eddie Jordan??).
I have little faith that Miller wants to stay here hence I'd look to move him at the deadline. If he or his agent gives Ed a STRONG indication that he would re-sign, my strategy would change.

I have a pretty strong feeling that Miller is already playing for our new coach. DiLeo seems to have taken to coaching and the team ahs responded well. Unless they suddenly tank or DiLeo really wants to go back to scouting I think our interim coach is our coach next year and on into the foreseeable future.
geiger
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#85 » by geiger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:49 am

No indication at all he wants to stay here. None. One would think that after a career season and after playing pretty well this season, his agent would have been up the Sixers a** about an extension for his client. Nothing. One would think that after being asked numerous times, Miller would have at least once indicated he likes the city, likes the team, and that he wants to re-sign here. Nothing. One would think that after what now amounts to two years in Philly, he would have at least bought property here when he's flush with cash and housing market crashed. Nothing. He has a house in Utah and a house in Colorado. He just went to the inauguration with a ticket received through some Utah Congressman. HIs own teammates say he barely speaks to them. He's a weird bird and he clearly isn't particularly thrilled to be here. He's playing well offensively. He's a pro. He's playing for a new contract. But unless we give him way more years than a 33 year old PG deserves, or give him more money than is wise, there is a better than 50% chance that he leaves in free agency, leaving us with nothing.
frasersixersfan
Freshman

Post#86 » by frasersixersfan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:23 am

I'm really hoping for a trade to come before the deadline moving Miller because the more i watch him on and off the court, the more i'm convinced that he doesn't want to be here.
Thaddeus Young is the future.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#87 » by freshie2 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:36 am

The decision isn't based on Miller's ability to play or lead a team, but based on whether he'll resign and is a long term piece. It doesn't appear that is the case, which leads me to say they should get something for him before he walks. Hinrich or Conley both give the Sixers a PG that is better than anyone on the roster other than Miller, and have some attributes that Miler does not possess (Hinrich is a better shooter, Conley is much quicker). I don't think Miller has shown any signs that he's not into the games and wants to win with this team, but it really is the long term picture when you think about trading him.
Don
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#88 » by Don » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:35 pm

Just not sure that either Conley or Hinrich make this team better. Conley is quicker but smaller than Miller, and Hinrich is a better career 3pt shooter, but not that great (37.7% vs 21.2%). Miller this year is actually shooting 35% from 3, and most of us aren't thrilled with him. Either way, I think we don't get equal value in the short term. I'm all for looking at the future, but Brand is taking up a great deal of money in the short term. He may not be as good towards the end of his contract, which may be when Speights, Lou, and Thad really peak.
geiger
Banned User

Post#89 » by geiger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:21 pm

How many 3's has Miller taken? Those percentages you cite are meaningless. One guy is a legitimate three point threat who takes hundreds of shots in a season, and the other takes about 30 to 40 3 pointers in an entire season. Hinrich is a solid defensive player, he's bigger than Miller, he's younger, he can shoot the 3 and run the pick and roll. He's not the better player, but he's locked into a long term contract that declines in value every season. Miller will walk and we'll have absolutely nothing to show for it. Nothing. We won't be able to sign anyone other than giving some player the MLE and there isn't even anyone out there who warrants it this coming off-season.
dond
Assistant Coach

Post#90 » by dond » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:21 pm

Miller is the PG for the Sixers to win now. As far as him indicating that he does or doesn't wish to stay here, it is not his style. He plays basketball and keeps his mouth shut, another trait I admire about him. He is the best point guard the Sixers have had as far back as I can remember. I am not about to give him up for some "possible" future PG.
If you cannot convince others that you are right, you probably aren't.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#91 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:59 pm

We'll again see how Miller and Brand play together, but it may not go well. Possible future PG? Are you talking about Hinrich? Not only is he much better for the future of this team(five years younger than Miller), but he may very well be a better fit for the present. The possibility of losing Miller this off-season for nothing doesn't help...And Hinrich from 06-07 is just as good of an overall player as Miller is, if not better. I'd expect him to return to that form if he were to come here, simply because all of the talented players he'd be surrounded with on this team would allow him to play better.
geiger
Banned User

Post#92 » by geiger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:04 pm

He'll be 33 this year and is an unrestricted free agent at year's end. Win what exactly with him now? This is the same Miller who made outrageous contract demands in Cleveland, over a year before becoming a restricted free agent, forcing them to trade him, and then played for himself in a contract year with the Clippers, his hometown team, and left? Same guy whose agent doesn't even want to discuss an extension with the Sixers? That Andre Miller? Yeah, all of a sudden, he loves it here and is keeping it secret.
geiger
Banned User

Post#93 » by geiger » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:17 pm

By the way, once the Hughes deal goes through, with Bobby Simmons and the expiring contract of Maurice Ager coming in return, I don't think it's difinitive that Chicago moves Hinrich, especially if they don't plan to re-sign Ben Gordon to a large contract at season's end.

One guy I would keep an eye on is Baron Davis. He's having an attrocious season in LA, but he's healthy. Reports are that the chemistry is awful, he already doesn't get along with Dunleavy, and has totally shut it down mentally. The team is horrendous. Sterling is notoriously cheap, although he's spend over the past few seasons. But hey, he spend to be competitive, not to have one of the worst teams in the league. Maybe they take Miller's expiring deal and ship Davis out and Baron and Elton get to play together after all. Davis has a contract that runs past 2010 and not a lot of teams might be willing to offer much more for him. He's a bona fide All-Star PG when he is on his game and a guy who can take over a series offensively. He is also a solid defender and PG when he puts in the effort. I'm just not so sure how he would fit with Iguodala, who needs to handle the ball quite a bit to be successful. He could be a long-term possibility if the brass think he fits and Sterling doesn't want to keep shelling out this kind of money - also help the Clippers land a top 3 pick in a PG heavy draft. Sixers can then use their first rounder on getting the best swingman they can find in the draft in terms of spreading the floor.
Philly76ersFan
Banned User

Post#94 » by Philly76ersFan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:31 pm

Clippers would probably love to move Davis, but there is also a huge risk for the Sixers. He'll be 30 in April and has 4 more years after this one. That in and of itself isn't the biggest issue however, it's also that he tends to get injured a lot. He's out with a tail bone bruise now, so not a big deal, but he's had knee problems going back to his college years at UCLA and they tend to get chronic with age - bad news for a PG who relies on speed as he's not a very good shooter unless he's spotting up. He is also a coach killer - he plays his way the offensive philosophy of the team be damned. He is older and I'm sure after the sh*t show in LA, he wants to win. By all accounts, he and Brand are friends and like one another. He also likes running systems, but can play in the half court in the playoffs. The question isn't whether he'd be able to change his game to fit in, but whether he woudl be willing to do it. This season, I can see him coming in and proving that his bad play in LA was a mirage and Dunleavy's fault. By next season, or the year after, I don't know if that would continue. He is also an absolute stud on defense when he wants to be, but that's another thing - he only wants to be for about 25% of the time, and sometimes can take half a season off on that end of the court. Not the best role model for Williams, Speights, and Young.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#95 » by tk76 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:48 pm

If the Clips wanted to send us Baron, this is the deal I would make:

Baron + Camby

for Miller + Sam + 1st.

That way each team takes on a long contract. The Clips get salary relief 1 year earlier, and the Sixers get a 2 window chance at something special.

Talentwise, the Sixers get the better end of the deal big time. But if the Clips think they made a huge mistake with Barron, then I would force them to take back a long term contract like Sam's in exchange.
Philly76ersFan
Banned User

Post#96 » by Philly76ersFan » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:00 pm

Wow, that I would do in a second, but I'm not so sure the Donald is willing to admit the mistake by also eating additional cash.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#97 » by tk76 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:10 pm

Philly76ersFan wrote:Wow, that I would do in a second, but I'm not so sure the Donald is willing to admit the mistake by also eating additional cash.

I realize it would be a one sided deal- just like the Clips getting Camby for a 2nd rounder was one sided. But clearing 35M would be a huge incentive for the Clips if they are admitting they went the wrong direction. They could always resign Miller for shorter years/money instead of being committed to Baron as he ages.

If they made the deal, after this year the Clips would be on the hook for 25M (Sam's 2 years) and Miller would expire (and might resign for them for less being a West Coast team.)

Right now the Clips are on the hook for 53M for Baron and 7.6M for Camby.

This deal would clear 7M for the Clips next year, and 35M over the next 4 years. That is no small incentive.

As for the Sixers, they would be 3M under the Tax next year, so could make this deal, Then Camby would come off the cap after next year and Baron's deal would leave them about 5M under the cap.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#98 » by The Sixer Fixer » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:28 pm

geiger wrote:By the way, once the Hughes deal goes through, with Bobby Simmons and the expiring contract of Maurice Ager coming in return, I don't think it's difinitive that Chicago moves Hinrich, especially if they don't plan to re-sign Ben Gordon to a large contract at season's end.

I think it's pretty much a guarantee the Bulls won't move Hinrich (especially for a PG who will be gone next year) if the Hughes deal goes down. Many who follow the Bulls have said all along they don't think the Bulls are looking to deal him because he's really the only legit backup PG they have on the roster. Only way I see them moving him would be in a deal where they get back a moderatley priced backup PG along with the key player in the deal.

One guy I would keep an eye on is Baron Davis. He's having an attrocious season in LA, but he's healthy. Reports are that the chemistry is awful, he already doesn't get along with Dunleavy, and has totally shut it down mentally. The team is horrendous.

I seriously doubt the Clippers are looking to blow up the team this quick. Yes, they are bad, but they have had more injuries than any team in the league this year. Not sure why you said Baron is healthy because he's been out for the last 10 games or so. I think he is due back soon, but it may be another week or so.

In addition to Baron being out, Zach Randolph has missed the last 12 games, kaman has been out for like 2 months, Camby is now out for at least a few games and Ricky Davis (I know he sucks) has been out most of the season.

That's a lot of injuries to some pretty good players to try and overcome. Heck, they have only won 1 game since both both Baron and Zach went down with their injuries. I don't think you can really tell a lot about how bad they are until they get everyone back and I doubt the team will do anythign drastic trade wise until that happens.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#99 » by sixerswillrule » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:29 am

There are very few players out there who fit the bill on what we need at PG. That is, someone with a good outside shot and decent size to play next to Lou at times. I only see four guys who fit that criteria. Hinrich, Steve Blake, Delonte West, and Randy Foye. Blake has been discussed, and he's a possibility. The problem is that he's not on the level of the guy he would be replacing in Miller. But he is a great three point shooter and keeps his turnovers low. He lacks Miller's scoring ability but that might not even be a problem with all of the other scorers on the team.
West is pretty important to the Cavs right now so he probably won't be traded. He's also injured. And Foye has been playing so well lately that he won't be going anywhere either.
How about Jason Terry? Any chance he gets traded? Then there's Barbosa, but he's the least PG-like of them all. If we're ignoring size, there are some young guys we could go after. Aaron Brooks, Farmar, Conley. And there's always the draft. But going young isn't really an option because this team should be looking to win within the next 3 years. It's a tough call to make.
Philly76ersFan
Banned User

Post#100 » by Philly76ersFan » Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:19 pm

Randy Foye was so bad at the point, Minny started playing Ollie and Telfair there and guess what, they got better instantly. Foye is also a poor outside shooter. Foye is a shooting guard who exels when he can have the rock in his hands and going to the basket. He's a smaller version of Iguodala and would be an absolutely terrible fit here. Not to mention Minny isn't likely to move him.

Hinrich and West would fit well because they can defend, but not sure Chicago will move Hinrich after the Hughes deal goes through and Cavs likely aren't looking to move West. Think there might be some deal with Hinrich in a three way deal though. Can't help but feel that they want to get shorter contracts - something that expires by 2010.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers