ImageImageImage

Talks of Miller to Portland?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: Talks of Miller to portland? 

Post#101 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Feb 4, 2009 2:04 am

Thabeet? That would be a nightmare. I can't stand him. Also if Sergio is your starting PG you are in trouble. He's just not that good. If we do this deal, we need to get a PG somewhere else.

Basically you are trading a top 10 PG in the NBA for depth. I'll take the starter any day. If I knew for a 100% fact Miller wouldn't re-sign then I do this deal. But we don't.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#102 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Feb 4, 2009 2:44 am

Basically you are trading a top 10 PG in the NBA for depth. I'll take the starter any day. If I knew for a 100% fact Miller wouldn't re-sign then I do this deal. But we don't.

The possibility of him leaving is not the only reason that we should look to trade him. Are you forgetting the fact that he's going on 33 and is a poor fit with our 80 million dollar men?
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#103 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Feb 4, 2009 2:52 am

He's a fine fit with our 80 million dollar men. Without Andre Miller, this team is 10 games under .500 right now.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#104 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:00 am

Right. It's not a like PG that could shoot would spread the floor for Iguodala and create room for him to drive, or work with Brand and allow him to do what he does best. Oh wait, he would do those things...
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#105 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:05 am

Miller can shoot. He has one of the best mid-ranged jumpers in the game for PGs.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#106 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:06 am

Yeah, I'm not talking about being able to shoot from 15 feet...
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#107 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:15 am

It's not as cut and dry as you make it seem. If Miller could shoot 3s then sure that would be a plus. But if you trade for a 3 point shooter, you lose the things that Miller brings. Court vision, penetration, the ability to fight for rebounds inside and keep plays alive, passing ability, etc. Plus his money mid-ranged game which is important. Not many players have that package. You don't just substitute a 3 point shooter and think you will retain everything you lose with Miller.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#108 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:26 am

We have a 20/10 guy in Brand, who we are expecting to return to that level (hopefully) very soon. We have Iguodala who has played like a star over the past couple months, and a rising star in Young. Some of the things that Miller can give us may no longer be necessary. A deadly *outside* shooter capable of running the pick and roll and limiting turnovers may be all we need at PG. Blake can give us that. Hinrich can give us that in addition to being a much better defender than Miller.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#109 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:29 am

Blake? Steve Blake? lol...

Miller is a huge reason why Thad is as good as he's been, Iguodala is playing as great as he has, and our young guys have came in and played so seemlessly. Miller is a huge reason for this entire team's turnaround. If you remove him, this team falls apart at the seems.

But if you want Steve Blake who's never been anything but a mediocre player his entire career, then be my guest. But don't say I didn't warn you when this team fades into oblivion.
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#110 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:40 am

Thad creates for himself. Miller has had nothing to do with his success. As for Iguodala, aside from a couple alley oops, how is Miller a "huge reason" for his great play?

I just said this in another thread but I'll say it again: Miller is a better player than Blake. I know that. You know that. Everyone knows that. No one is arguing that fact. But swapping one player for another "lesser" player DOES NOT automatically mean that the team will suffer as a result. It doesn't work that way. It's how the player fits that truly matters. It's a team game.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM

Post#111 » by LongLiveHinkie » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:47 am

I don't think Blake is a better fit at all. He's a better 3 point shooter than Miller, but is worse in pretty much every other area. Significantly too. I don't think just adding that 3 point element erases everything else that Miller brings or even diminishes the losses.

But if you really think Blake would be better, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. The only way I consider this deal is if it is Bayless and Outlaw. Even then, Bayless isn't a true PG.
docwasoverated
Junior
And1: 0

Post#112 » by docwasoverated » Wed Feb 4, 2009 4:09 am

sixerswillrule wrote:Right. It's not a like PG that could shoot would spread the floor for Iguodala and create room for him to drive, or work with Brand and allow him to do what he does best. Oh wait, he would do those things...

ask not what the sixers can do for brand...but what brand can do for the sixers
sixerswillrule
RealGM

Post#113 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Feb 4, 2009 4:19 am

I'm not talking about the Sixers, JFK. I'm talking about one player. A player who is 33 years old that we could lose for nothing this off-season.
Loose Cannon
Senior

Post#114 » by Loose Cannon » Wed Feb 4, 2009 7:13 am

About Outlaw, he doesn't have a particularly nice stroke, but what I like about his jumper is the amount of elevation he gets on it. He can get that shot off against anyone.

As for the trade, I'm not sold on it.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#115 » by Cru Thik » Wed Feb 4, 2009 7:51 am

I don't see Ed making any trade with Andre Miller. This team is going to be in the playoffs with Andre Miller at the PG position. I can't see ownership telling Ed to trade Miller away costing them money from playoff games just so you can get something because he might walk.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
nikolokolus
Junior

Post#116 » by nikolokolus » Wed Feb 4, 2009 7:58 am

A Blazer fan's two bits:

First off I think a deal that sends Blake or Sergio (or both?) and Outlaw that brings back Miller and Evans isn't horribly lopsided in favor of either team. Miller is certainly the best point guard of the 3, but at his age and with his contract situation you'd get two guys that are at least productive instead of possibly getting nothing for him this summer and it's unlikely he'll be able to play for many more years. It works from Portland's perspective because they could really use veteran point guard with his particular set of skills, but he won't be around so long that he'll inhibit Bayless' long term development (whom I think is probably the PG of the future).

Regarding the comments about Blake, I think he's probably better suited to being a backup (which he'd probably be one of the best in the league), but because he's not a very dynamic athlete and has a limited ability to dribble drive, he's passable but unremarkable as a starter ... except that he's shown himself to be a very versatile player, often playing shooting guard when Brandon Roy takes over the point (which seems to happen a lot). His biggest strengths are that he doesn't turn the ball over, is unselfish, and hits big shots from outside ... he would definitely give your bigs and slashers more space to operate.

All in all I'd like to see the deal get made, but can see the Blazers standing pat just as easily and I guess that would be OK too.
SouthJersey
Starter
And1: 144

Post#117 » by SouthJersey » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:34 pm

What if subbed Reggie Evans with Lou Williams in this deal to get Rudy?
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#118 » by Gsraider » Wed Feb 4, 2009 3:36 pm

Based on these ideas, I'd rather see a straight up trade of Miller for B. Davis. Too bad we have no clue if either team would even be interested in that.
geiger
Banned User

Post#119 » by geiger » Wed Feb 4, 2009 4:14 pm

I know one team that would be interested in Miller - the Orlando Magic. They are a contender this season and just lost their starting PG for the season. Their back up is Anthony Johnson. No other PGs on their roster. Nelson is their PG of the future and has a long term contract. They would love a guy to replace him for one season and keep them in contention.

I would not trade for Turkogulu because he clearly will be opting out of his contract after this season. I would look at guys like Pietrus, a solid defender and a decent 3 point shooter, who is signed for 3 years after this one for $5.3 million a season (last year is a player's option). He plays the 2 and the 3 and has the size, strength and quickness to play both effectively. Shoots the 3 well from the corners. Is only 26 years old and plays equally well as a starter or off the bench. With Courtney Lee working out so well in Orlando, Pietrus is expendable. Orlando would also be willing to eat a long term contract to replace Pietrus - in comes Willie Green.

Something like Miller, Green and Ratliff for Pietrus, Tony Battie (a decent back up veteran and a solid locker room presence who plays the 4 and the 5 and who has one year left on his deal) and either JJ Reddick or Anthony Johnson would work. If we take Reddick, that's probably the trade. If we take Johnson, we likely would get a first rounder (would be a late one).

We would be short at the point this season. No doubt. But we are also not winning anything this season. Shut Brand down for a stretch and let him get back to 100%. Start Williams at the point and see what he can do. Sign another PG if we don't get Johnson and opt for Reddick to eat some minutes as a back-up - maybe a veteran guy like Stoudamire or Jason Williams, maybe take a look at Livingston, maybe someone else. Play the young guys serious minutes and see if we can still sneak into the playoffs as a 7th or 8th seat like we did last year. At least we wouldn't be losing Miller for nothing at year's end.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#120 » by tk76 » Wed Feb 4, 2009 4:32 pm

I agree with what Gieger suggests (or the Portland deal) but I think Cassidy is also right that it will be hard for Ed to sell this to the bean counters.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers