ImageImageImage

Talks of Miller to Portland?

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Re: Talks of Miller to portland? 

Post#21 » by freshie2 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:14 pm

The blog only mentions Miller may be available, but I didn't see specific reference to the deal until the first reply...there are a lot of player combos by which Miller could end up in Portland. Personally, I would like to see someone like Outlaw or Webster coming back in the deal, but Rodriquez is a nice prospect at the point.

Only a few weeks to go...
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#22 » by tk76 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:16 pm

Do you think Miller makes "them a legitimate championship-contending threat in the West this spring?"
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#23 » by freshie2 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 6:18 pm

If they stay healthy, yes. They have great depth up front, athleticism at the swing positions, good three point shooters, and a young 'star' in Roy. Miller is the perfect fit for them, and fills a big void.
Jack wore plaid
Sixth Man
And1: 56

Post#24 » by Jack wore plaid » Mon Feb 2, 2009 7:07 pm

Serious question for Philly fans.

How is Miller better than Blake?
BobbyJones
Senior
And1: 0

Post#25 » by BobbyJones » Mon Feb 2, 2009 7:17 pm

He's healthy?
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#26 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Feb 2, 2009 7:22 pm

Jack wore plaid wrote:Serious question for Philly fans.

How is Miller better than Blake?

Two main areas jump out to me:

1) Court vision

2) Floor Leadership

Before having to watch Andre Miller on a consistent basis, I thought he was an alright PG who couldn't shoot. Now that's I've watched him play for more than 2 seasons, I think the guy is an absolute stud PG who unquestionably makes his teammates better. It's one thing to to see where a pass should go and another to get it there. Miller gets it there far more times than not.

Also, the man is EXTREMELY quiet off of the court but on it, there's no doubt about who's in charge and whether or not he knows where his teammates should be on the floor in order to succeed. From 17 feet in, the man is pretty deadly not only with an open shot but his ability to create his own shot. He's one of the better PGs at backing players down and creating mismatches.

The ONLY problem in Andre Miller's game.... the ONLY one.... is his inability and lack thereof to shoot from distance. Defensively he is strong and he's more than capable of running an uptempo offense (obviously... just look at the Sixers' fastbreak points) and he's perfectly capable of running a team in a half-court set.

I am all for trading him not because I think we can find a better PG but because I think he wants to play out West and will go there this summer regardless of whether we offer him a contract or not.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#27 » by dbodner » Mon Feb 2, 2009 7:29 pm

The ONLY problem in Andre Miller's game.... the ONLY one.... is his inability and lack thereof to shoot from distance. Defensively he is strong

Oh, I disagree with that. I don't think he's a very good defender, particularly at denying dribble penetration. He's also not great at working through screens. Overall, I'd say he's below average defensively.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#28 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Feb 2, 2009 7:33 pm

Hmmm... perhaps I haven't paid enough attention to this recently and if you're saying this... I'm inclined to believe it.

BTW... aside from a couple of games here and there... I haven't watched Steve Blake recently in Portland. Anywhere care to chime in on his defensive game??
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,780

Post#29 » by Skates » Mon Feb 2, 2009 9:13 pm

Bynum's injury opens the West up even more for a team to surprise like Portland. Miller and Blake are both weak defensively against quicker PG's, but Miller is clearly a superior PG as fas as distributing the ball, scoring in a variety of ways and generally running an offense. Blake is the better shooter, not as much of a need in Portland as it is in Philly. I am not sure Miller makes Portland a guaranteed contender, but I am pretty sure he makes them a better team this year. Miller has also shown the ability to defend some SG's in critical end of game situations this year, while Blake has shown the ability to break when running into Regie Evans.
docwasoverated
Junior

Post#30 » by docwasoverated » Mon Feb 2, 2009 9:21 pm

dbodner wrote:
The ONLY problem in Andre Miller's game.... the ONLY one.... is his inability and lack thereof to shoot from distance. Defensively he is strong

Oh, I disagree with that. I don't think he's a very good defender, particularly at denying dribble penetration. He's also not great at working through screens. Overall, I'd say he's below average defensively.

i would add that miller is a better than average rebounder and can play the slower( think kidd) stronger pg"s.strong hands also. that said i am in the trade andre miller camp since hearing what his agent said.there is a outside chance of a sign and trade during the summer but i dont know if stefanski has the experience to pull that off.
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#31 » by LongLiveHinkie » Mon Feb 2, 2009 9:50 pm

This isn't going to happen. I'd only do it if Bayless comes back with a 1st rounder or we get Aldridge. Since they won't happen, then forget about it. Smells like BS.
mega montana
General Manager

Post#32 » by mega montana » Mon Feb 2, 2009 10:16 pm

Westbrook36 wrote:This isn't going to happen. I'd only do it if Bayless comes back with a 1st rounder or we get Aldridge. Since they won't happen, then forget about it. Smells like BS.

agreed, i prefer sergio, but without a good young player and a first, i dont see it
Hates the Sixers' brass
geiger
Banned User

Post#33 » by geiger » Mon Feb 2, 2009 10:23 pm

It very well could happen. I hope the Sixers explore it. Miller is as good as gone unless we overpay him. He is turning 33 this year. It would be the height of folly to give him more than a two year extension. We cannot give him more than $7 million a season without either destroying our ability to sign a shooter for the MLE or going over the luxury tax The MLE is around $6 million. He is clearly a mid-country, west coast guy. Everything he and his agent have said and done indicates that he doesn't want to be here but will not rule it out if he can get overpaid or get a lot of years. Someone out there - possibly Houston, maybe Dallas, will give him the full MLE and 3 or 4 years and he's gone with us having nothing to show for it and no money to get a comparable replacement. If we can get Blake and Outlaw or if healthy, Webster, or get Portland to take Green or Evans and give us expiring contracts and a pick, maybe toss in Koponen's rights, we should. We're not winning a title this season with or without Miller nor are we winning anything with him at the point the next two or three seasons as he begins his decline and we are financially hamstrung.
bigdavid
Bench Warmer
And1: 131

Post#34 » by bigdavid » Mon Feb 2, 2009 10:58 pm

Sad but Brands injuries including last year will hamper us for a long tme. His enormous salary gives us limited money to sign some young players.
StormxShadow
Freshman

Post#35 » by StormxShadow » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:06 am

Ok, how do we feel about this? Get rid of some bad contract years, maintain free agency money for this off season, and pick up a 6 foot 7 two guard for 5 years to come. To get something good, you have to give something good. Andre can stay at the natural three and Lou moves to point.

To Phila:

Martell Webster
Salary: $3,771,133 Years Remaining: 5
PTS: 0.0 REB: 0.0 AST: 0.0 PER: -8.53

Raef LaFrentz
Salary: $12,722,500 Years Remaining: 1

Channing Frye
Salary: $3,163,769 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 3.8 REB: 1.9 AST: 0.5 PER: 9.34

To Portland:
Incoming Players

Willie Green
Salary: $3,388,000 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 8.3 REB: 1.6 AST: 2.0 PER: 11.33

Reggie Evans
Salary: $4,640,000 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 2.3 REB: 4.0 AST: 0.4 PER: 9.78

Andre Miller
Salary: $10,333,334 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 16.0 REB: 4.3 AST: 6.3 PER: 18.43

Thaddeus Young
Salary: $1,968,120 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 13.6 REB: 5.1 AST: 1.1 PER: 13.48
Sixersftw
RealGM
And1: 8,795

Post#36 » by Sixersftw » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:35 am

This trade leaves us infinitely worse with glaring holes in our starting line up. We give up the only two good players in the equation as well as taking back injured players. But you know what, why not? At least if we accepted this trade we could use the term "Pritch slapped" now.
They say an analytics man doesn't have a heart, but I ran the numbers and nothing can be further from the truth - Sam Hinkie probably
LongLiveHinkie
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#37 » by LongLiveHinkie » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:39 am

Hahaha, you just threw in Thaddeus Young.

Still trying to figure out if that post was sarcasm.
Don
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#38 » by Don » Tue Feb 3, 2009 12:41 am

StormxShadow wrote:Ok, how do we feel about this? Get rid of some bad contract years, maintain free agency money for this off season, and pick up a 6 foot 7 two guard for 5 years to come. To get something good, you have to give something good. Andre can stay at the natural three and Lou moves to point.

To Phila:

Martell Webster
Salary: $3,771,133 Years Remaining: 5
PTS: 0.0 REB: 0.0 AST: 0.0 PER: -8.53

Raef LaFrentz
Salary: $12,722,500 Years Remaining: 1

Channing Frye
Salary: $3,163,769 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 3.8 REB: 1.9 AST: 0.5 PER: 9.34

To Portland:
Incoming Players

Willie Green
Salary: $3,388,000 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 8.3 REB: 1.6 AST: 2.0 PER: 11.33

Reggie Evans
Salary: $4,640,000 Years Remaining: 3
PTS: 2.3 REB: 4.0 AST: 0.4 PER: 9.78

Andre Miller
Salary: $10,333,334 Years Remaining: 1
PTS: 16.0 REB: 4.3 AST: 6.3 PER: 18.43

Thaddeus Young
Salary: $1,968,120 Years Remaining: 2
PTS: 13.6 REB: 5.1 AST: 1.1 PER: 13.48

Is your objective to help Philadelphia or Portland? It seems like this trade's for Portland. Essentially swapping expirings (giving us a little extra) and Thad for Webster. We don't need the few mil expirings as much as we need Thad's talent over Webster in the long run. Not unless we're getting more young talent back. Does it make us better? I don't think so if Thad's a part of this deal, although I could be interested if we're tweaking the deal.
shamelessblazer
Senior

Post#39 » by shamelessblazer » Tue Feb 3, 2009 1:02 am

What about something like:

Blake/Frye/2nd rounder (we have one that's really good I think) for Miller?

It doesn't save the money that Lafrentz does but it gives you guys a couple of very good shooters to spread the floor and let Iggy and Brand dominate the ball. Channing & Andre are best buds too.
docwasoverated
Junior

Post#40 » by docwasoverated » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:26 am

geiger wrote:It very well could happen. I hope the Sixers explore it. Miller is as good as gone unless we overpay him. He is turning 33 this year. It would be the height of folly to give him more than a two year extension. We cannot give him more than $7 million a season without either destroying our ability to sign a shooter for the MLE or going over the luxury tax The MLE is around $6 million. He is clearly a mid-country, west coast guy. Everything he and his agent have said and done indicates that he doesn't want to be here but will not rule it out if he can get overpaid or get a lot of years. Someone out there - possibly Houston, maybe Dallas, will give him the full MLE and 3 or 4 years and he's gone with us having nothing to show for it and no money to get a comparable replacement. If we can get Blake and Outlaw or if healthy, Webster, or get Portland to take Green or Evans and give us expiring contracts and a pick, maybe toss in Koponen's rights, we should. We're not winning a title this season with or without Miller nor are we winning anything with him at the point the next two or three seasons as he begins his decline and we are financially hamstrung.

we do not want blake. period.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers