ImageImageImage

The Sixerfan1976 Update Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Re: The Sixerfan1976 Update Thread 

Post#121 » by Gsraider » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:04 pm

Forgot one thing. Why would we be willing to move Jason Smith if we got D. Brown or did this mean we'd move Smith if we got Chandler? Why move him anyway? He's got a nice contract and big men who can shoot with range seem like good fits in this offense and with Brand's return.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#122 » by sixerfan1976 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:34 pm

if you have brand and speights and chandler playing 4/5 minutes next year...who else do you have room for minutes wise? thats probably why they are willing to include smith.

not sure what will happen...but nice to see they are considering moving dalembert. I have never been a big fan. Chandler has his warts too....but we cant expect a star back. I just dont want a worse contract in years back.
shadowTerp
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#123 » by shadowTerp » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:46 pm

51X3RF4N wrote:In fact, the more I think about this deal, the more I dislike it.

I feel like it is a move, just to make a move. It doens't help or hurt us, which is why it is stupid to do it and disrupt any kind of team chemistry we might have right now.

Blah.

+1. Chandler's been injured and has underachieved this year. It's a lateral move at best. Butler for Green is fine, but why give away Smith for a Willie Green clone in Brown?

The only reasons are (a) New Orleans won't do the deal without it (in that case, I'd prefer not to), or (b) we're trying to clear a little bit of space under the luxury tax in 2010-11. But it really is a small amount of money (I think the difference is a little under a million or so).
76ciology
RealGM
And1: 23,708

Post#124 » by 76ciology » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Honestly, I don't see how this deal makes sense for both teams.

Both teams are trading similar players and risking their team's chemistry to be ruined by injecting new players in their starting position.

The trade doesn't make sense salary capwise, talent wise or even if you consider it based on team needs.
There’s never been a time in history when we look back and say that the people who were censoring free speech were the good guys.
underpressure
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#125 » by underpressure » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:57 pm

Did Ed inquire about Amare? If you follow the news, he may get traded for an apple and an egg. Stefanski cannot be completely unaware about the latest developments. Of course, we would have to get rid of Dalembert, which is not that easy (getting our hands on Amare and Hinrich für Miller, Dalembert, Speights and picks would be awesome though).
Gsraider
Starter

Post#126 » by Gsraider » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:59 pm

I think I'm OK with it without Jason Smith. I just don't see him as a throw in, since he could be a nice rotational big man. Chandler and Dalembert are more or less a wash, but with both Butler and Brown, they have lesser contracts than Green, plus some better size. If you include Smith however, I think the scales have been tipped.

I'd be curious to know why NO wants to do this.
Mahorn at the 4
Senior
And1: 7

Post#127 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:15 pm

NO has really seemed to sour on Chandler this year. I am not sure why, but we need to strike while the iron is hot. If they are willing to take Green as well, let's do it.

Sixerfan, how does the club view Hinrich?
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#128 » by tk76 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:19 pm

I can see the upside of having Chander. At his best he is like Sam with a brain on offense. Unfortunately I'm not sure he can bring as much on defense.

I'd rather keep Sam. Chandler turns the ball over just as much as Sam, and he's had an injury plagued career. Put Sam next to CP3 and he'd look better too.

Sam at least has shown himself to be an ironman, and maybe even a better defender (at least blocks shots better.)

Look at Chandler's breakdown last year (career year.) He can't shoot at all (26% on jumpers) so he needs to stay near the basket at all times. He made a lot of TO's for someone who rarly has the ball (but maybe not as bad as Sam.) He hardly ever blocks a shot (1.8% vs 4.3% for Sam.) His offensive and defensive rebounding percentages are about the same as Sam's.

Even if Chandler is a slightly better, or less BB IQ challenged player, I still don't do the trade because of his injury history. Sam supposedly really takes care of himself (hyperbaric chamber is a sign of whacky commitment) so I would think Sam will give you more games over the next 3 years.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#129 » by tk76 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:25 pm

I also would want to hold onto Smith. It's always good to have depth at PF/C. An Smith still has a lot of offensive upside. He can run the floor, has good hands and might have a legit 3pt shot next year. He is a weak rebounded/defender, but maybe he can improve on these enough with strength and savvy to at least not kill you on defense. He is quick and a fantastic athlete (one of the best athletes in his class along with Thad.)

I don't know much about Brown, but I doubt he would be as valuable as a big who can run and shoot.
still in payne
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#130 » by still in payne » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:26 pm

I think I can see N.O.'s motivation for the trade. Supposedly they are in financial trouble, and Dalembert is Haitian. N.O. has a large Haitian population and having Sam would generate a little hype, and probably sell some tickets. He also speaks French, so the team would gain a little Creole flavor. Green is probably as useful to them as Butler, if not moreso. For us, Butler has some hometown flavor, and his contract is up a year earlier. However, I'd rather keep Jason Smith and I don't see this trade as any kind of an upgrade, unless the Sixers are just tired of Sammy.
Gsraider
Starter

Post#131 » by Gsraider » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:38 pm

Interesting take from Still in Payne as to why NO might have an interest in Sammy. In the end, I think both players are remarkably similar, although Chandler actually has an inch or two on Sammy. I actually do not see his offense as a downside because unlike Sammy, he at least realizes for the most part that he has not offense to offer other than dunks and putbacks. For whatever reason, Sammy tends to believe at times that he is underutilized on offense. My biggest concern is that Sammy is remarkably durable and Philly would miss that. If Chandler can stay healthy, I don't think it will be an issue, but we have been somewhat spoiled by having guys like Miller, Dalembert and Iguodala, who rarely miss a game.

For me, I wouldn't have an issue with the first proposal, so long as the pick was a 2nd rounder and not a 1st. If it involves Smith, I am much less interested. I think Smith might be movable in general, but he should not be a throw in, in almost any deal the team might make. I'd rather keep Dalembert in this instance.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#132 » by tk76 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:44 pm

Also, if we make that trade, does that mean Speights will never be a starter? I can see them starting him in front of Sam, but are they going to trade for Chandler and then take away his starting spot next year? Not a reason to stop a trade, but something to consider.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,779

Post#133 » by Skates » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:46 pm

The Dalembert-Chandler rumors have been out there for a while, albeit this is the first confirmation from sf76 and with additional details. Breaking it down:

Dalembert for Chandler - I agree with what a lot of people have said, small upgrade in some ares, downgrade in others, similar contract. I can see two possible reasons for this trade. One, bith teams seem frustrated with thier respective big men in Chandler and Sammy and it is a change of scenery thing for both sides. Second, Brand, or more specifically do the Sixers think Chandler who appears to have a higher basketball IQ and lesser ego, might be a better fit next to Brand and Speights in a big man rotation. Sammy has proved to be completely incompatible with Brand and shows no sign of overcoming that. Chandler has fit in pretty well with David West, another slightly undersized PF who can block some shots. Chandler's stats don't impress me, but if he is willing to do the little things a big man needs to do and stay out of the way of the scoring bigs in Brand and Speights, I can see the rationale. Chandler might be a downgrade for the rest of the year with his lesser shotblocking ability, but perhaps he would do better in taht aspect in the Sixers style of defense. Once Brand is back and Speights is a year older and stronger, he will have two other shotblockers to share the load with. He might well just be a better fit with Brand than Sammy is. No doubt that the Chandler injury history is a little scary.

Green for Butler - I like this one, Butler is a bit of an underrated palyer IMO, a good shooter with better size than WG. His contract is also a year shorter, unless Willie opts out of his. Butler is a very nice shooting role player.

Jason Smith for Devin Brown - Yuck, a 30 year old has never been kind of guy traded for a young, athletic seven footer who can shoot. Smith has holes in his game and is coming off of an injuey, but I don't like this part at all. Makes no sense to me.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#134 » by tk76 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:00 pm

Gets me thinking about the almost trade of Steven Hunter to the Hornets for a 2nd rounder (cap relief.) If only that had gone through, then Evans and his lousy contract and rodeo clown act would never have come to town.

Don't get me wrong, I see the havoc Evans can bring... I just wish he brought it to some other team.

...Yet another example that BK's 'best trades' where the ones he could not quite pull off (like AI to Boston for Al Jefferson and Rondo.)
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#135 » by The Sixer Fixer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:22 pm

This "rumor" was reported yesterday by someone on Philly.com who says they have a buddy in Louisiana who told him it was being discussed on the radio in LA. He says it's been on the table for a while but someone won't pull the trigger.

Alright fellas, I just got a call from a buddy of mine who lives in Louisana and he told me there was a 76ers Hornets deal that was being discussed on the radio today. Apparantely this deal has been on the table for awhile but somebody won't pull the trigger yet.I don't know what side but here it is anyway. He said that the Hornets were sending us Tyson Chandler and Rasual Butler for Sam Dalembert Willie Green and a 2nd rd pick. I've been looking everywhere to see If I can find anything on it. I don't know what to say about this trade if it's true. I thought Rasual Butler was more of a small forward but he can shoot it from the outside though. What are your thoughts do you like it?

http://forums.philly.com/n/mb/message.a ... 52.1&ctx=1

I tend to doubt there's any truth to it. I find it intersting that 2 people post the same thing in 12 hours, but yet "it's been on the table a while" and we heard nothing about it till now. Sounds like BS to me. As for the idea of swapping Chandler and Sam, it does make some sense. Two guys that have struggled somewhat this year and could use a change of scenery.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#136 » by freshie2 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:45 pm

I like the deal if they don't include Jason Smith...you are trading very similar players...one has a better feel for the game, but is oft injured, while the other is a known quantity in this system.
PowerElite
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#137 » by PowerElite » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:01 pm

Yes I like the idea of doing this trade, R. Butler is who mainly interests me. He's a top NBA 3 point shooter, and has shown a knack for making them down the stretch of games. We will instantly become a real team that can beat anyone in the league once we acquire a 3 point threat like Butler. Butler will give us halfcourt ability in the playoffs. The addition of Butler is really a long term move because he will be the first of the sort of perimeter shooters we need to be a dominating team. Butler's skill set will make everyone better, from Brand/Speights to Iguodala/lou Will...
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Post#138 » by bebopdeluxe » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:01 pm

Dalembert/Green for Chandler/Butler?

I likey.
slyv
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#139 » by slyv » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:27 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:Dalembert/Green for Chandler/Butler?
I likey.

Me too.

Sam has been a pretty good soldier this year about his decreased minutes but maybe the thinking is next year he becomes more vocal than he has been and thus disruptive so they move him for a similar player in Chandler.

Hey I never did fully get the Team Canada thing (it did have something to do with Sam's ego right?) but he must have been doing something negative for him to get the boot........shrugs

Someone mentioned that this might mean Speights not starting over a center that you just traded for but I think it might be easier eventually starting Speigths over Chandler b/c Chandler can have his present and future role with the Sixers spelled out for him from the moment he gets here. (Disclaimer: I know nothing about Chandler's personality)
Chocolate or Thunder?
Senior
And1: 6

Post#140 » by Chocolate or Thunder? » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:43 pm

This deal is an absolute no brainer. I have been wanting Dummybert out of here for a while. But personal opinions aside, Chandler brings a more stout 5. Someone who can legitmately defend 7 fters and not get into foul trouble trying.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers