ImageImageImage

The Sixerfan1976 Update Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Philly_King
Senior
And1: 0

Re: The Sixerfan1976 Update Thread 

Post#141 » by Philly_King » Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:47 pm

I'd do this trade in a heartbeat. First of all, Chandler is younger, smarter, slightly better on offense, bigger and a GREAT rebounder(averaged 11.7 and 12.4 the last 2 years). The only downside would be his injuries, but I'd definitely take it.
Rasual Butler for Willie would be the icing on the cake on his one. He's shooting .413 from 3 this year and would give us a legit outside threat. Major kudos to Ed if he pulls this off.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#142 » by sixerswillrule » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:08 pm

Is Butler really such a good shooter, or is this year just a fluke? His career numbers are not very different from Kareem Rush.
PowerElite
Banned User

Post#143 » by PowerElite » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:19 pm

Butler has more tools than Rush. He can get to the basket, post up, tip dunk, run and finish in transition. He's also a defender. Rush only has a 3 point shot, if he's not hitting it he's completely worthless.
Bballkorver26
Ballboy

Post#144 » by Bballkorver26 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:25 pm

Does this remind anyone of the Ratliff for Mutombo trade during the 2001 season! Although Dalembert and Chandler might not be as good as Ratliff and Mutombo were that season, you have to admit this trade is along the same lines. It would be nice to see a center in philly again who can actually catch the ball and finish inside with some coordination. If this deal is on the table Eddy's got to get it done. I just don't see why the hornets would want to do this.
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#145 » by Gsraider » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:10 pm

Bballkorver26 wrote:Does this remind anyone of the Ratliff for Mutombo trade during the 2001 season!

I hadn't really thought about that although it does involve centers as the principles. I think the reason is that Mutombo was about 33-34 years old when the deal was made and Philly had to include Kukoc as well.

Anyway, the more I think about this, the more I think I would pull the trigger, so long as the only addition to the Chandler/Butler for Dalembert/Green portion would be a 2nd round pick. I don't like it anymore if it includes Jason Smith or a pick better than a 2nd. Like some others however, I cannot see why NO makes this deal unless they just want a more durable C, they aren't enamored about something with Chandler that we are unaware of, and/or another poster was correct in that Dalembert would be a draw in the NO area.

I also have seen Butler play, but do not recall how good his handle is and whether he can play the SG spot. If he can, it makes the deal make even more sense.
slyv
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#146 » by slyv » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:18 pm

Bballkorver26 wrote:Does this remind anyone of the Ratliff for Mutombo trade during the 2001 season! Although Dalembert and Chandler might not be as good as Ratliff and Mutombo were that season, you have to admit this trade is along the same lines.

Not really. Not even close actually. That was a trade made to get the Sixers to the Finals.

Theo was injured while the team was on their playoff run in a season that the Sixers knew the widow to the finals was open and there were serious concerns on how fast Theo would be willing to come back.

That coupled with one of Brown's infamous man crushes for Deke (from coaching him in that years All Star game) led to that trade.

The implications in swapping Sam for Chandler pale in comparison.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#147 » by freshie2 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:32 pm

PowerElite wrote:Butler has more tools than Rush. He can get to the basket, post up, tip dunk, run and finish in transition. He's also a defender. Rush only has a 3 point shot, if he's not hitting it he's completely worthless.

Lets not get too crazy about Butler...he's a nice bench player on a good team, but he's not a player that can be counted on every night to come up with a 12 pt performance off the bench. It is a nice trade for the Sixers, but he's not a player that is coming in and contributing off the bench like Posey did last year for the Celtics. Pull the trigger on the deal, and yes, I like Butler over Willie, but I don't know that this deal immediately puts the Sixers into the next tier of teams. Pull this deal, and (yes I'm flip flopping) move Miller for Baron Davis, and you have the chance of being in the next tier. Davis has star quality, and it depends on how he meshes with the existing team...he has to be the PG on this team and not look for it to be 'his' team.

A lineup of...

Davis/Ivey
Iguodala/Lou/Rush
Thad/Butler
Speights/Evans/Marshall (Brand/Smith IR)
Chandler/Theo

...is intriguing...Davis in the Sixers up tempo style may work. You lose the clutch/high FT% shooting of Miller, but you have a high end PG locked up for a few more years...Chandler deal is a no brainer...Davis for Miller is still a bit of a risk.
PowerElite
Banned User

Post#148 » by PowerElite » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:58 pm

Davis is finished, he's a great player that turns it on and off and gets injured frequently. Players that turn it on and off are not what you want as major components on a "contending" team. You certainly don't want to acquire this sort of player when they have it turned off with many guaranteed huge salary years ahead of them. If Davis had the switch in the on position it could be tempting, but he has it off.

Chandler is the sort of player that you theoretically want playing with Speights. This is an overlooked positive of that trade. Miller and Kmart once upon a time lead the NBA in alley hoop hookups. Thad would also do well with Chandler. The Sixers will be able to play more of the pressure defense that only works when Evans is in the lineup. They tried to have Speights play that same role but he lacks the agility where Chandler has it.
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#149 » by sec-106 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 8:59 pm

Going back and forth on this deal.

Leaning now towards doing it.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#150 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:10 pm

Do it babay, Tyson Chandler would give us something of a consistent 4th option every night while anchoring the defense.
Gsraider
Starter

Post#151 » by Gsraider » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:12 pm

sec-106 wrote:Going back and forth on this deal. Leaning now towards doing it.

As am I, however I'm starting to believe the reason why it may may not be done is because NO is the team that isn't ready to pull the trigger just yet. If it's simply Dalembert/Green/#2 for Chandler/Butler, I'm guessing there is a definitive reason why it's still simply in the discussion phase. Philly probably does that deal as stated, and NO probably only does it if Jason Smith is added to the deal. Just a guess though. For me, when you consider the durability you lose with Chandler instead of Dalembert, I'd like to have Jason Smith available in the year's to come.

Then again, it could also be a matter of making it known that Chandler can be had and going up to the deadline to see if they can get something better.
PowerElite
Banned User

Post#152 » by PowerElite » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:23 pm

Throw Jason Smith in...I like the chances of the Sixers finding another young career back up PF/C prospect in the draft.
Skates
Head Coach
And1: 3,779

Post#153 » by Skates » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:30 pm

PowerElite wrote:Throw Jason Smith in...I like the chances of the Sixers finding another young career back up PF/C prospect in the draft.

I have no problem throwing Jason Smith in the right deal, but considering that this is essentially a lateral, change of scenery type of move I don't see the need to give up Smith or a future first rounder in this kind of deal. Chandler is not a very good offensive player and less of a shotblocking presence than Sammy and less durable. Chandler appears to be a smarter player who knows his role and rebounds more consistently. He might, I stress might, be a better fit here when the team is at full strength next year. Butler is a bit of an upgrade from Green no doubt, but it is not a huge difference maker. The contracts are essentially the same. Hence, I would not throw more than a future second rouder in as sweetener.
PowerElite
Banned User

Post#154 » by PowerElite » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:46 pm

I have yet to look at the money. I wouldn't trade a future 1st unless it was a top 25 protected over the next 15 years arrangement... I wouldn't have traded Jason Smith last season, but he blew out his knee...As a GM I wouldn't be willing to bet that he now develops into a legitimate low level starter when it wasn't carved in stone that he would be that player judging from last season when he was 100%. Now he will have to go through that 1 season of "not being himself" that athletes that blow out their knees go through. I think that a team like the Hornets have that sort of time to invest in the potential of an injured young player. They are already a good enough team with CP3, West, and Peja to carry a young PF/C on the bench hoping that he heals well and continues developing from where he left off.
Gsraider
Starter

Post#155 » by Gsraider » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:10 pm

Nope, not convincing enough for me to simply throw Smith into the deal. Smith is far from untouchable as far as I'm concerned, but also far more valuable than a throw in. A 2nd round pick should be the excess compensation and that's about it.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#156 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:11 pm

Throw Jason Smith in, he's damaged goods.
PowerElite
Banned User

Post#157 » by PowerElite » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:14 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Throw Jason Smith in, he's damaged goods.

:lol:

It's the truth...
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#158 » by freshie2 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:15 pm

Smith isn't a throw in...he's not a future star in the league, but he's a solid core rotation player that can give you time at the 4 and 5, as well as extend the defense in hitting the outside shot. The base deal is a no brainer, including Smith instead of a lottery protected pick (if something else is needed) is a deal breaker. Athletic 7'ers with an outside shot don't grow on trees. If you don't have the one star (which the Sixers don't), then you need to keep a deep core of big men...Chandler/Brand/Speights/Smith/Evans is a very nice overall group of big men, but you don't want to pull Smith out of that group.
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#159 » by The Sixer Fixer » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:27 pm

I'm amazed by how many people think Chandler is better offensively than Sam. Chandler can do 1 thing on offense...that's dunk. Last time I checked, Sam can do that well too. At least Sam actually has some range on his jumper (not saying it's a strength, but at least he can make one). Chandler can not ever put the ball on the floor and he has absolutely NO ability more than 2-3 ft from the rim. He doesn't own a mid range jumper. If I had to guess, I would say that Chandler get 80-90% of his offense on lobs and offensive rebound put backs (similar to Sam). His hands MIGHT be slightly better than Sam's, but they are still bad. I think his BBIQ is better and his D fundamentals (positioning/recognition) might be a tad better, but overall I think it would be hard to say Chandler is really much of an upgrade.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#160 » by PhilasFinest » Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:27 pm

i would do that sammy/wille for chandler/butler....solid deal
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .

Return to Philadelphia 76ers