ImageImageImage

The Sixerfan1976 Update Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Mahorn at the 4
Senior
And1: 7

Re: Sixerfan1976, are the 6ers in on Amare? 

Post#21 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 3:04 pm

ESPN.com's Chad Ford reported Friday night that, according to one rival GM, Phoenix hopes to clear up to $40 million from its 2009-10 payroll before the trading deadline.

Nash/Amare for Andre Miller/Young/Green/Evans/Dalembert? Hey, I guy can dream.

I predict Shaq goes to Detroit or Dallas.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#22 » by The Guilty Party » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:04 pm

Chad Ford has posted his potential suitors for Amare and based on the price listed... I don't think he would cost as much as we thought he would. That said, if Miami really is willing to offer Beasley and Marion... there's no team that will offer a better deal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/s ... rio-090207
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#23 » by tk76 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 4:15 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:That said, if Miami really is willing to offer Beasley and Marion... there's no team that will offer a better deal.

Wow, Wade and Amare would be a great combo. They'd need to fill out the supporting cast, but that is a great core to build around.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#24 » by The Guilty Party » Sat Feb 7, 2009 5:15 pm

tk76 wrote:
The Guilty Party wrote:That said, if Miami really is willing to offer Beasley and Marion... there's no team that will offer a better deal.

Wow, Wade and Amare would be a great combo. They'd need to fill out the supporting cast, but that is a great core to build around.

It won't take much to fill around them. They have Chalmers already and I imagine Cook woulf get more PT.

Chalmers
Wade
Cook
Stoudemire
Magloire

The one issue (if there is one) is that Amare would be going to a new team to be the second fiddle. He seems to want to be "the" guy on a team and there's no way he would ever be considered that in Miami. Of course... it is Miami and that's not a bad place to spend most of your days.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#25 » by tk76 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 6:24 pm

Wade would get Amare the ball a ton, and has the stature to stand up to his petulance. I don't think the 2nd fiddle issue would arise because the are not going to be fighting over the same types of shots. If anything Wade will create more looks for Amare then he would take away.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#26 » by tk76 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:35 pm

I still can't get over how bad the timing of all this is.

Last year at this time we were talking of how this team had positioned itself with youth, picks and cap space to be ready to pounce when the right superstar becomes available. Ever winter 1-2 superstars are available.

I'm in no way questioning the Brand signing- sounded great at the time. But if we only knew the issues ahead with Brand, and that Amare would be available... So close to getting the perfect fit for this team. Now we'll never know.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#27 » by The Guilty Party » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:51 pm

I agree, tk and it makes my stomach turn.

Also, don't the Miami Heat CURRENTLY represent what most of us wanted this team's future to be? I mean, it was around this time last year that we were talking a lot about Beasley (this was just before we began our 2nd half run). We went on to win 2 playoff games while the Heat tanked (they shut down all of their players and their coach left the team to scout college players).

If we drafted Beasley, we may not have gone after Brand which would mean that we would probably have some cap flexibility, a young star, and a large expiring contract. I've always said that mediocrity breeds mediocrity and our past regime and current one don't seem to get that.

It really hurts to be a Sixer fan right now only because as the team is currently built, we'll always be good enough to make the playoffs but not good enough to have it make much of a difference.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by tk76 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 7:59 pm

I still love the current team. They play an exciting brand(ouch) of ball, and I look forward to watching the young players improve. Its just a punch in the gut how close they were to having things really fall into place to where they could be a contender for 5+ years.

I really think Amare would have put them over the top.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#29 » by The Guilty Party » Sat Feb 7, 2009 8:07 pm

tk76 wrote:I still love the current team. They play an exciting brand(ouch) of ball, and I look forward to watching the young players improve. Its just a punch in the gut how close they were to having things really fall into place to where they could be a contender for 5+ years.

I really think Amare would have put them over the top.

It's kind of weird right now.... it's like you hear the wheels screeching before a car crash but the crash hasn't happened yet. Let's say Amare is dealt to Chicago for Drew Gooden, Ty Thomas, and Joakim Noah.... won't that really be the CRASH!?!? I mean, it's not too late to still get the 26 year old superstar big man.

Remember when Ed Wade was GM of the Phils and a lot of people talked about how he wouldn't trade Bobby Abreu because he was "his" guy and his crowning achievement as GM? I suspect that rather than recognize his error and try and fix it, Ed Stefanski has made Elton Brand "his" guy and is either going to rise or fall with him on this team.

One of the greatest things that ever happened to Philly sports let alone the Sixers, was when Pat Croce fired Brad Greenberg and Johnny Davis after just one year in order to bring in Larry Brown. Rather than miss out on Brown and go with Greenberg/Davis for more time, Croce pulled the triger and suddenly the Sixers were on the rise.

Ed Stefanski has a chance to do the same right now. Rather than ride this out with Brand, he has a chance to add a player who is not only the better player but is also 4 years younger. Again, my issue with Brand isn't health but even when healthy... how does he fit in??
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by tk76 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 8:13 pm

Well they can't trade Brand right now, and I sure doubt that Comcast would be willing to take on Amare's current and future salary with Iguodala/Sam/Brand all on the books. They are not the Yankees.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,893

Post#31 » by bebopdeluxe » Sat Feb 7, 2009 8:22 pm

I dunno...I guess that I am having a hard time getting all worked up about Amare being the missing piece and how unfortunate and star-crossed we are. In my mind, if we would (for example) trade Miller for Hinrich, sign Korver with the MLE (if he ops out this summer) and get a healthy Brand back this fall, even without figuring in another lucky-in-the-teens draft pick having an impact, I think our team could do some damage over the next 2-3 years.

There IS a reason the Suns are trading Amare, you know.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by The Guilty Party » Sat Feb 7, 2009 8:23 pm

tk76 wrote:Well they can't trade Brand right now, and I sure doubt that Comcast would be willing to take on Amare's current and future salary with Iguodala/Sam/Brand all on the books. They are not the Yankees.

I get what you're saying but we are talking about a salary cap and an exchange of salaries rather than just adding $10MIL.

Obviously Brand isn't going anywhere right now but will he be completely untradeable this summer even if it's for forty cents on a dollar? If the cost for Amare is Miller, Thad, and Smith... then isn't this team's future better off with Amare, Iguodala, and Williams and the forty cents you get back for Brand? Isn't that future better than having Thad and Iguodala (both of whom seem to be SFs for the foreseeable future) and Brand who may not even fit in with this team even when 100% healthy, which he will not have been for 2 years come training camp?
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#33 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sat Feb 7, 2009 8:29 pm

Brand FITS. Stop this. We had Iggy, Lou Williams playing mediocre and Thad inconsistent. And defensively, oh good god defensively. Our problems have never improved AT ALL.

What we need is to trade Miller for a defensive PG. Jarrett Jack of Indiana would make so much sense. I'd like Stefanski to pull off a minor deal to acquire that PG of the future.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#34 » by The Guilty Party » Sat Feb 7, 2009 8:30 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:I dunno...I guess that I am having a hard time getting all worked up about Amare being the missing piece and how unfortunate and star-crossed we are. In my mind, if we would (for example) trade Miller for Hinrich, sign Korver with the MLE (if he ops out this summer) and get a healthy Brand back this fall, even without figuring in another lucky-in-the-teens draft pick having an impact, I think our team could do some damage over the next 2-3 years.

There IS a reason the Suns are trading Amare, you know.

Does a team of...

Hinrich
Iguodala (out of position)
Young/Korver
Brand
Dalembert

... really compete for a title within the next 2-3 years? Does that team actually stand a chance in a 7 game series against LeBron James and his Cavs or an aging Celtics team or Dwight Howard's Magic or how about a suddenly dangerous Heat squad with Wade and Stoudemire???

That team is a decent team and maybe it competes for the 4th seed.... maybe. There is a reason Amare is on the block.... he wants out and has the right to opt-out within 15 months. His trade value will be next to none this time next year so they have to try to move him now or in the summer at the latest. Is he a good defensive player? No... but the man is an absolute offensive juggernaut and his numbers are scary good in the playoffs.

tk76 wrote:Look at Amare's playoff numbers: http://www.basketball-reference.com/pla ... dam01.html

He may lack regular season focus, but its hard to argue with .524%/ 25.1 / 10.4 / 2 blks. That is undeniably superstar production over a 36 game sample of playoff games.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by The Guilty Party » Sat Feb 7, 2009 8:32 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Brand FITS. Stop this. We had Iggy, Lou Williams playing mediocre and Thad inconsistent. And defensively, oh good god defensively. Our problems have never improved AT ALL.

What we need is to trade Miller for a defensive PG. Jarrett Jack of Indiana would make so much sense. I'd like Stefanski to pull off a minor deal to acquire that PG of the future.

So a team of....

Jack
Iguodala
Young
Brand
Dalembert

... competes for a title? Really??? Am I the only fan of this franchise that wants more than mediocrity???
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,893

Post#36 » by bebopdeluxe » Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:29 pm

TGP:

A team of:

Hinrich
Iguodala
Thad
Brand
Sammy

Lou
Korver
Speights

Can absolutely compete for a title in 2-3 years, IMO.

If you don't agree, that's cool.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#37 » by The Guilty Party » Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:35 pm

I'm honestly shocked that you believe that but so be it. Can that team win 50 games... possibly but I just don't see that squad as being able to beat teams like Orlando, Cleveland, the Lakers, or the Celtics in a 7 game series.

The major change compared to the opening day roster this year is Kirk Hinrich. Have a missed something? Has he done something significant in the past 24 months to represent being THAT much of an upgrade over Miller??

I guess you're going with the theory that *gulp* a healthy Elton Brand combined with a more matured Iguodala and Thaddeus will be enough to propel this team to the top. I respect that but I just don't see that team as actually being capable of winning a trophy.
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#38 » by sec-106 » Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:39 pm

The Guilty Party wrote:
tk76 wrote: If the cost for Amare is Miller, Thad, and Smith...

Done. Done. And Done.

(If he resigns, of course.)
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by The Guilty Party » Sat Feb 7, 2009 9:42 pm

The name of the game is to get him here... let him LOVE being "the" man on a team in a major market that plays the run and gun game. If we got him here, I would say that we would have an excellent chance of re-signing him considering those factors above and we can offer more money and a longer contract.
Tension
Sixth Man
And1: 121

Post#40 » by Tension » Sat Feb 7, 2009 11:21 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:TGP:

A team of:

Hinrich
Iguodala
Thad
Brand
Sammy

Lou
Korver
Speights

Can absolutely compete for a title in 2-3 years, IMO.

If you don't agree, that's cool.

I agree, that could definitely compete, Iguodala isn't even close to his cieling yet, and he's playing incredible. Get Sammy some confidence and minutes, and he will be fantastic as well. That bench itself is great, along if we can resign Ivey and maybe Ratliff + whoever we draft. Dunno where Jason Smith fits in all of this.

Problem is, I doubt Korver opts out if he continues to be a starter in Utah. I watch Utah very closely, and he does get snubbed alot on the offense since Memo and Deron tend to jack shots, so who knows. Also said that he loved it here in Philly. To Cassidy, I LOVE Korver, I don't know why he gets knocked so much. Great shooter, quickest release in the NBA, 2nd best off a screen next to Ray Allen, hustle player, good rebounder, closeout FT shooter, spreads the floor, extremely active in halfcourt sets, and really not that bad of a defender. His only knock on D is that he gets beat off the dribble with ease. Just don't match the guy up with guards and that should be somewhat fixed, or have someone work on that.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers