ImageImageImage

The Sixerfan1976 Update Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,883

Re: The Sixerfan1976 Update Thread 

Post#81 » by bebopdeluxe » Mon Feb 9, 2009 8:14 pm

And, for the record, the Bulls finished 47-35 in '04-05 and did make the playoffs...actually had home court as the 4 seed...lost to the Wiz in 6 games in a pretty good series. Hinrich averaged better than 20ppg in the series, if I am not mistaken...
geiger
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#82 » by geiger » Mon Feb 9, 2009 8:16 pm

I am absolutely petrified by the thought that we'll lose Miller for nothing and will not be able to improve this team with anything other than the MLE we likely would have had regardless - especially considering what's out there. So that would mean we likely would need to trade a core player and fill a hole by creating another hole. The other option is no more pleasant - giving Miller too many years and/or too much money, and being stud as a mediocre team without prospect of improving for the next 3 years. I guess we'll all know soon enough. Of course, there is the off chance that Stefanski knows something we don't - that for example Miller's agent already told him they'd take a 2 year deal for about $7 to $8 a season and that Miller wants to stay in Philly. That would obviously be a much better outcome. I just wouldn't bet on it.
STChaser
Starter

Post#83 » by STChaser » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:05 pm

I like Chambers as well. He was very impressive in our last game. If given the option, the two guys I'd love to have on our squad are Chambers and Nick Young. Young is more of a SG at 6'6 but moving Lou to PG could do the trick. Young is lightning quick and would be a great addition alongside Lou, Iguodala, and company. He may be extremely devalued at the moment too since his minutes have been down as of late - when we played the Wizards, he barely got in the game. However, in our first outing against them, he looked superb.

Chambers was also impressive but I fear he may cost us too much or Miami may not be willing to part with him. Regardless, I'd be just as pleased to have him as I would Nick Young.

STCHaser
Slizeezyc
Senior
And1: 106

Post#84 » by Slizeezyc » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:11 pm

Chambers = Chalmers I suppose?
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#85 » by sixerswillrule » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:17 pm

Tom Chambers? Yeah, that dunk over Mark Jackson was pretty sick. If he's coming out of retirement, I'm down.
geiger
Banned User

Post#86 » by geiger » Mon Feb 9, 2009 10:20 pm

Tom was a beast. People forget how dynamic of a scorer he was. I think he put up over 25 a game for a few seasons.

Nick Young by the way is a SG who can't shoot too well. His primary role is as a slasher and Wiz will rely on him to be their SG of the future. They are absolutely not down on him at all. He is also a terrible fit in Philly as he's another young player who is an inconsistent defender and a poor shooter who is a slasher - offensive strength duplicative of what Iggy and Young do. Plus, Wiz aren't giving him up cheaply. What could we possibly offer them for them to want to move him?
docwasoverated
Junior

Post#87 » by docwasoverated » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:29 pm

Slizeezyc wrote:Chambers = Chalmers I suppose?

and you remind me of my aunt millie..always correcting..i suppose?
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#88 » by The Guilty Party » Mon Feb 9, 2009 11:38 pm

Anyone starting to miss Billy King and his wheeling and dealing? I kid, I kid.... wait, am I?
Philly76ersFan
Banned User

Post#89 » by Philly76ersFan » Tue Feb 10, 2009 3:02 am

I thought King already gave us a monopoly on bad long term contracts for role players. Is there anyone else out there he could trade for who is a marginal NBA player, but has a longer contract than the guys we already have and for more money?
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#90 » by The Guilty Party » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:39 pm

Chad Ford answered a question of mine in his chat today....

Teege (Philly): Chad... what should Ed Stefanski do with Andre Miller? There's no indication he wants to re-sign in Philly this summer but the team is only 3 games out of the 4th seed and having homecourt in a playoff series. Shouldn't the Sixers be looking at the bigger picture with Brand than looking short term for this year???

SportsNation Chad Ford: (1:32 PM ET ) They were in the same boat last year and kept Miller. He has value, but not as much as you'd think because teams don't know what will happen with him this summer. Right now their best bet is to probably hold onto him. I doubt they can get enough for him on the open market to justify doing a deal.

This seems to match up with S's belief that Miller will probably be here for the remainder of the year.
geiger
Banned User

Post#91 » by geiger » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:44 pm

Lack of vision and inability to make even the smallest sacrifices have doomed many a team to mediocrity. It's the guys who are willing to take a step back to take two steps forward and who are not risk averse who build winners. That and luck.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#92 » by The Guilty Party » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:45 pm

geiger wrote:Lack of vision and inability to make even the smallest sacrifices have doomed many a team to mediocrity. It's the guys who are willing to take a step back to take two steps forward and who are not risk averse who build winners. That and luck.

Perfectly put.
Philly_King
Senior

Post#93 » by Philly_King » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:08 pm

Yea. It would've been easy for Boston to keep the #5 pick and Jefferson and hope they win a championship in the next 10 years. However, they took a chance, traded their young talent and got Allen + Garnett. They got rewarded by winning a championship. It's a relatively high risk, high reward scenario which some GMs are scared to do due to the possibility of failure and losing their job.
geiger
Banned User

Post#94 » by geiger » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:32 pm

We are almost a reverse Boston. We're not a terrible team like they were and our young guys are all producing - they only had Jefferson producing. What we need is to move a veteran for a nice young player and get some cap space and continue to draft well and develop. What we can't do is combine guys on long term contracts that are all going in opposite directions.
Philly_King
Senior

Post#95 » by Philly_King » Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:58 pm

geiger wrote:We are almost a reverse Boston. We're not a terrible team like they were and our young guys are all producing - they only had Jefferson producing. What we need is to move a veteran for a nice young player and get some cap space and continue to draft well and develop. What we can't do is combine guys on long term contracts that are all going in opposite directions.

I don't think we're THAT different. They had a 30 year old star in Pierce and a young star in Jefferson. Plus there were Ryan Gomes who was solid and Gerald Green who supposedly had star potential. The big difference is they were tanking properly whilst we're always hovering around mediocrity. Yes we're a better team than they were(which is a plus since we don't need to get two all-stars to be contenders) but we still have a 30 year old star a potential star in Young/Speights and a very good player in Iguodala and faced with the same dilemma. It would've been easy for them to draft Jeff Green, trade Pierce for young talent and go all-out rebuilding around Jefferson. Just like it could be easy for us to cut our losses with Brand, let Miller walk and rebuild around Thad, Speights and Iguodala which may never get us a title.
geiger
Banned User

Post#96 » by geiger » Tue Feb 10, 2009 9:13 pm

Pierce didn't just miss two straight seasons with season ending injuries and he was held out because Celtics tanked the season. They also didn't have the long term terrible contracts that we do, coupled with the class of 2010 and the current financial market to deal with.

Ryan Gomes was a second round pick. He's a role player. Green had star potential only in that he could dunk. He showed nothing. The team was the worst in the league. Our young guys not only have potential, they are producing and winning.

I don't think we can cut our losses with Brand. Teams will not trade for his contract. The risk is too great.

If we let Miller walk, we don't have the money to replace him, but if we trade him, that's another story. If we deal Speights, Young and Miller for a star, we don't have anyone to replace them with, no cap space to do it, and no stock pile of picks. In large, Celtics also got lucky with Rondo, Perkins coming into his own, Powe and Davis being productive, Posey taking less money to go there, etc.

It's hard to duplicate all those things. There is a reason why Celtics are the only team that have succeeded doing something like that. More often, you end up with Chris Webber and Glenn Robinson like the Sixers did.

If the opportunity comes up to get a sure fire super star player in his prime, signed to a long term contract, with no serious injury history, than sure. But that doesn't seem to be out there. Different circumstances.

Look at how many games Davis has missed in his career, how many coaches he had run ins with, his shooting percentages, his numbers this season, etc. He's just not comparable to guys like Allen and Garnett. Sure, it likely wouldn't take much to get him, but if we trade for him and Brand doesn't return to 20 and 10 or Davis gets hurt again or continues to play poorly, that's it. Our team for the next 4-5 seasons is over. No cap space, no flexiblity, no nothing. We're stuck in mediocrity. If Brand was putting up 20 and 10 and was healthy this year, Sixers would seriously consider taking that risk on Davis, but he is not. That's the big difference between us and the Celtics. You can't honestly believe it's a good idea to tie up two guys about to turn 30 with serious injury histories and concerns to 4 more years each at near max money.
Mahorn at the 4
Senior
And1: 7

Post#97 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:37 am

Sixerfan, what are you hearing on Dalembert? Any truth to this rumor from the Chicago papers?

I have read the the Spurs are interested, but they seem to have little to offer.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#98 » by sixerfan1976 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:14 pm

there really isnt a market for dalembert...we would move him if we could....but the interest really isnt there. If you move him..then you can play speights at center next year with brand....we are trying...but i dont think there would be a match.

No one will give us an expiring for Sam. The offers we would get are bad contracts back...and these players have less upside/are worse players than Sam.

I dont think we will do anything at deadline except maybe a minor move..like Kareem Rush to someone for a future nothingish pick.

I think we keep Miller unless someone bowls us over.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#99 » by tk76 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:19 pm

So based on what you sai before about Miller being off the market if the team thinks it can get the five seed...

Am I to assume Miller is here for the rest of the season? Any word on a possible extension?

I have a hunch the only move we will see is Rush traded.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#100 » by sixerfan1976 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Miller we would deal if we could get a piece(s) we like that can help us this year and next year. A PG would have to be part of the deal. But if we dont like the return..we dont feel obligated to move him.

I dont think Miller wants to stay here personally. I think he wants to go back West. From what I hear...he isnt interested in talking extension right now. Is it possible offseason for him to re-sign? Sure anything is possible..but I think he prefers to leave. Just my read.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers