ImageImageImage

The SF1976 Draft Thread (Final Update On Page 90)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

PhenomThad31
Junior
And1: 0

Re: The Official SF1976 off-season thread 

Post#121 » by PhenomThad31 » Mon Jun 8, 2009 12:37 am

sixerfan1976 wrote:I honestly think they may have to buy out Sammy. I dont see how anyone would want him. The trade kicker hurts......if we get anything for him..it will be real crap that probably doesnt do anything but sit at the end of teh bench. That is of course if we trade him by himself.....I wanted him gone last year...maybe I am more down on him than others.

If Miller goes...I think we play Lou at starting guard along with a shooter...and as EJ said..you dont need a traditional PG..so Lou,shooter,Iggy,Thad,Brand would be your starters with Lawson/Maynor, Green,Smith,Speights and whoever else we add off bench. Ivey and Evans in the mix too.

I think Sammy wont be here..but it may be a buy out.

i think buying out Sammy would be stupid because of the value he will have as a en expiring next summer.
BobbyJones
Senior

Post#122 » by BobbyJones » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:37 am

Not to mention that this is hardly the economic environment to think about paying that much money to someone to do nothing. With the right coaching, Sam can get you 8-10 boards a game. The key will be to minimise the damage this year and trade his expiring ass next.
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#123 » by PhilasFinest » Mon Jun 8, 2009 4:45 am

BobbyJones wrote:Not to mention that this is hardly the economic environment to think about paying that much money to someone to do nothing. With the right coaching, Sam can get you 8-10 boards a game. The key will be to minimise the damage this year and trade his expiring ass next.

BINGO!
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Mahorn at the 4
Senior
And1: 7

Post#124 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 am

Sixerfan,

Evans is gone, when will Green go? Kapono was a nice pick up, much better than overpaying FA money on Korver.

Also, I am getting a feeling that Young or Iguodala may be leaving. They basically play similar roles

Will Toronto want Dalembert, too? I could live with h staying, but Green has to go.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#125 » by sixerfan1976 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:44 am

I am not so sure Green goes...I think Eddie Jordan wants him to be the backup SG. He wants to find his starting SG via free agency/draft/trade.

They really want to move Sammy....and to my surprise..Korver is still an option along with Parker for mid level. They want to keep a shooter on the floor at all times..so maybe they split the time between Korver and Kapono. Eddie Jordan is the guy that started Jared Jeffries at the two..so you could see a Korver acquired and start and be backed up by Kapono

Miller wants a 3 year deal at a minimum and we dont want to go above 2...so I think he wont be here in some form or fashion. Also...I dont think we use midlevel if we sign and trade Miller...if we let him walk..we will use the midlevel.

I still think we draft a PG to back up Lou

Lou/DRAFTED PG/Ivey
Midlevel or guy we get for Miller/Green
Iguodala/Kapono
Thad/Speights
Brand/Smith

I didnt include Dalembert cuz I dont think he will be here.....will also sign a vet big as insurance....thats what my impression is of what will happen. Today surprised me...I didnt hear anything and didnt expect a move so soon.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#126 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:52 am

Thanks for the post, SF. Also of interest about the lineup you posted above is that Eddie Jordan was on ESPN radio today and compared Thad to Jamison. That would seem to go with the idea of playing Thad at the 4 with Brand as the starting center.
The Guilty Party
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8

Post#127 » by The Guilty Party » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:53 am

Also... if a S&T is going to be worked out for a SG, I have a feeling GSW will be the team that Miller goes to with us getting either Maggette or Crawford.
slyv
Sophomore
And1: 1

Post#128 » by slyv » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:24 am

sixerfan1976 wrote:
Lou/DRAFTED PG/Ivey

Outch
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#129 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:44 am

I was thinking about that the other day.

Comparing the Wiz teams under Jordan who were successful (mildly) against the personnel that this Sixers team has....

If you look at Jamison vs Thad, it seems as though that is a good comparison. Thad is almost exactly Jamison's size, athleticism, and mentality. Personally, I think Thad has a better outside shot at this point in his career vs Jamison's when he came out of UNC. But I could definitely see him work the same way in the offense as Jamison, where he avg'd 19 point, 7 board, 2 assts, and shot 34% from 3-pt land. IMO, that is something Thad could do this season if given 35+ mpg.

The next comparison would be Haywood vs Brand. Haywood was used differently than Brand will be IMO, but he avgd 9 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 blocks per game. I'm hoping Brand does more than that. However, you also must consider that Kwame Brown got 21 mpg, Etan Thomas got 20 mpg, and Haywood got about 27 mpg. Brown and Thomas each got around 7 ppg and 5 rpg. So with Brand theoretically getting 30+ mpg, we should expect about 13-15ppg and 8-9 rpg from him. But that is where Smith/Speights come in and fill those roles that Kwame and Etan filled.

Then you move on to the SF position. In 04-05, Jarvis Hayes got most of the minutes for the Wiz at the 3 spot. I believe Iggy is better at pretty much every aspect of the game than Jarvis, who avg'd 10ppg and 4 rpg.

These 2 spots (SF and SG) are the main differences in the 2 teams IMO.

You had Hayes scoring about 10ppg, while Hughes at the SG spot was scoring 22ppg.

I think you will see that switched with the Sixers. I don't care who is at the SG spot, if it is anyone on the current roster other than Iggy/Thad, you won't be seeing 22ppg. I think Iggy reaches that lvl this year. While the SG then only has to take on 10ppg worth of scoring. That could easily be a KK/Kapono/Green.

The PG spot was Arenas. He got 25ppg. Will Brand's scoring replace the need for such high numbers from Lou? Maybe. If that is the case, then lets say Lou/backups would have to be somewhere around 18 ppg.

I honestly think Lou can get 18ppg, while SG gets 10ppg, Iggy gets 22ppg, Thad gets 19ppg, and Brand goes for 15ppg.

Iggy immediately becomes the guy you run the offense towards, not through. Thad is the 2nd option, with Lou having the green light on any open shot, drive situation. Brand is the cleanup and works hard to get offensive boards and play tough D. No need to run an offense through him in this situation. But if he gets the ball on the wing and is open, go for it. Last resort is a kickout for a 3pt shot. Every play should be designed to get easy layups.

If the Sixers want to look like the Wiz did in their 2 successful years, they could be building this kind of mold.

By the way, the Wiz is 05-06 looked like this...

Arenas 29ppg
Daniels 10ppg
Butler 17ppg
Jamison 20ppg
Haywood 7ppg

I think if you move some of the scoring load from Lou again and add it to Iggy(Butler) and Brand(Haywood), you will still see similar results. It just means a less selfish that isn't led by a gunner like Arenas.

What are people's thoughts on this?? Could anyone see this realistically being the way the lineup looks?
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#130 » by sixerswillrule » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:45 am

You leave Sam out, but what happens to him? Bought out? That would be stupid. At least trade him. If he can't be traded, then I would just keep him and try to make it work.

Also, I really hope that doesn't happen at the PG spot. I don't want Miller back, but I really think they should try to get a veteran to replace him. Any chance that happens?
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#131 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:39 am

If Brands healthy...hes gonna get his touches...im sure EJ will make sure of it so 15-20ppg should be expected from him.Also as long as Sams here, hes gotta play as much as i hate him. EB is just not a great fit @ the 5 spot for an entire game.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
ExplosionsInDaSky
RealGM
And1: 4,612

Post#132 » by ExplosionsInDaSky » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:30 am

It will be very interesting come draft night. If the organization has faith in Williams at the point then we could possibly take a shooting guard instead. EJ does play the small ball a lot but and the Wizards were good in that system but I don't think they ever got out of the first round (something we already don't do). If Elton Brand is a 6'7 center then we really need guys like Jason Smith and Speights to do something for us off the bench. Stephen Curry looks like a logical option at this point for us. He and Lou would be interchangeable at the point guard.
I don't think we buy out Dalembert... It's obvious he's not wanted but still.. atleast trade him.
Philly_King
Senior

Post#133 » by Philly_King » Wed Jun 10, 2009 11:58 am

There's no way we should sign Korver now. Neither KK or Kapono can play the 2 without getting abused on D and it would be pointless to have both KK and Kapono coming off the bench as they're pretty much the same player and equally bad on D. The MLE(or part of it) should be spent on someone like CJ Watson, Von Wafer, Jarret Jack, Sheed or maybe Anthony Parker.
PrimeTime21
Analyst

Post#134 » by PrimeTime21 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:50 pm

I can't for the life of me believe that the Sixers management plans to start and play Brand at the 5. Yes I'm a fan of Sam but if he goes I will still be a Sixers fan but my God the Sixers will get downright abused night in and night out. This is also providing Brand stays healthy, which is a huge question mark. Why are the Sixers putting theirselves at such a disadvantage, are they not watching the finals with the teams with two big men?

Right now it looks like Philly can average 100 PPG but give up 110 PPG a night.

If the Sixers get rid of Sam and sign Korver just look at the defense of the starting five:

PG-Miller or a drafted PG (Miller couldn't guard his shadow and the PG thru draft will be a smurf)
SG-Korver (hey I love KK just as much as the next person but his defense is not the greatest)
SF-Iggy (best defensive player by a long shot)
PF-Thad (worse defensively than most people think, we seen him get abused by Lewis in the P/O)
C-Brand (yes he has long arms, but when he play last year it looked like he couldn't jump over a dime)

I'm not very optimistic about this squad at all...Yes they will score points but it will yield the same results, .500 ballclub.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#135 » by tk76 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:21 pm

ExplosionsInDaSky, I agree, getting a combo guard to play alongside Lou sounds like the best option. Philly_King mentioned Parker and Jack- both who would be perfect and affordable fits for this team as complementary athletic guards who can shoot. In the draft guys like Tyreke Evans, Teague and Curry all fit the bill.

Assuming sf is correct, I'm relieved they don't envision a major role for kapono. Picking up someone like Parker or Jack would be great. As for Kapono, they will need to mask his lack of D and teach him to just shoot if they are to get much positive out of him- but the potential is there. I do think Lou, Iguodala and eventually Thad will all create lots of open looks for shooters in this offense.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#136 » by sixerfan1976 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:57 pm

interesting possibility i was told about today.

Andre Miller signed and traded for Rip Hamilton. High level discussions only right now.

Filler/picks could be added.

Detroit wants Miller and will sign for 3 years or more..they have the money to do it without a trade..but we are trying to get Rip somehow.

Miller would move Stuckey to SG for Detroit...or move Stuckey to the bench if they sign him outright.
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#137 » by Gsraider » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:23 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:interesting possibility i was told about today.

Andre Miller signed and traded for Rip Hamilton. High level discussions only right now.

Filler/picks could be added.

Detroit wants Miller and will sign for 3 years or more..they have the money to do it without a trade..but we are trying to get Rip somehow.

Now that's what I'm talking about SF. Keep these reports coming even if they never do pan out. It makes it fun to fantasize about. Seems a bit odd from Detroit's standpoint however, unless Rip has let them know that he does not intend to sign after his deal expires next season. Detroit was gearing up for a FA run in 2010, so this would eat into that, but they also have to fill their roster with some other guys, so perhaps they want an experienced PG next Stuckey, Prince, and whatever FA's they can sign. Even at 31, this would be the type of deal that would create unbelievable excitement in Philly. However, the Sixers would then absolutely have to find a veteran PG somehow or having Brand at 30 and Hamilton at 31 would be kind of a waste unless they get the next R. Rondo in the draft, who can contribute immediately.
Gsraider
Starter

Post#138 » by Gsraider » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:31 pm

OK, my enthusiasm just tempered a bit after reading your post more closely. For some reason, I thought Detroit was set up for cap room next year and not this one. I didn't realize how easily they can just sign Miller outright, so why would they give up Hamilton unless like I said earlier, he just has no intentions of staying in Detroit after his contract expires next year? The filler and/or picks could be another possibility I suppose. I just hope it wouldn't be Thad.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach

Post#139 » by sixerfan1976 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:35 pm

detroit has AI's 20 mill and sheeds contract coming off books.....they may keep some of that cap room for next summer..but they have plenty now.

I dont even know how many years Rip has on his deal......I know the Pistons were interested in boozer..so maybe swapping Rip for Andre still allows them to get Boozer and have money for next year...who knows.

Just passing on what I heard....we asked about Rip..they like Andre...we will see if it gets tied together.

I still want another shooter..Kapono is a good bench guy...I want a starter than teams have to respect at SG
Gsraider
Starter

Post#140 » by Gsraider » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:42 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:I dont even know how many years Rip has on his deal......I know the Pistons were interested in boozer..so maybe swapping Rip for Andre still allows them to get Boozer and have money for next year...who knows.

Just passing on what I heard....we asked about Rip..they like Andre...we will see if it gets tied together.

By all means, keep passing it along. From what I read at Hoopshype, Rip's deal expires at the end of next season, so he has one year left. I'm sure there would have to be filler in there somewhere, but Detroit could save money by having A. Miller agree to less money than Rip will make ($11.75 million I believe). By taking back about 75% of that, they could save $2 million plus this year and have Miller start at about $9 million, which makes sense. I just hope that when we asked about Rip, they didn't dismiss it outright.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers