ImageImageImage

The SF1976 Draft Thread (Final Update On Page 90)

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

Mahorn at the 4
Senior
And1: 7

Re: The Official SF1976 off-season thread 

Post#31 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 9:54 am

sixerfan1976 wrote:I will post here if the hot pictures continue.. :D

lets see how the friday workouts go..but we are real high on Ty Lawson..and I truly get the feeling Maynor and him are 1 and 1a. I dont see us moving up. With Rush,Donyell,Theo etc all free agents...we may get a 2nd rounder to groom since we have some roster space.

its hard projecting miller because draft is before free agency..so me thinks it has to be a point guard at 17.

They want to move dalembert....however they can...if they cant..he wont play much.....Speights and Smith will be in the rotation....

Said it yesterday in another thread...this is their plan

1) Draft Lawson or Maynor
2) Resign Miller
3) Use the MLE on Anthony Parker or Korver
4) Trade Dalembert

Lou or Green could get moved......if the deal made sense...but Lou is a BYC til August I think.

Boston offered us tony allen and Jr Giddens for Green verbally...not sure what that does for us. Probably nothing.

Sixerfan1976,

Are you hearing anything about buying a late first? I think Daye or Hansbrough would be a nice addition to this team later in the 1st. Or, perhaps stash a Calthes in Europe for a year. In re: to the 2nd round, Rice from BC would be a nice backup PG option.

Willie to Boston? I can see why Boston would do this. Green gives them a more reliable player for their rotation. Allen is very athletic, but injury prone. BUT, if he could put it together, we'd have a steal.

Any word on Dalembert interest? Dallas? Phx, if they move Shaq. Wildcard?...Cleveland. They ned an athletic big, esp. when Verajau opts out.
sixerfan1976
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#32 » by sixerfan1976 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 11:56 am

we wont buy an extra first..maybe a 2nd.

Thad and Dalembert in a package they are kicking the tires on if they can get an elite 2 guard.

I think they draft a PG regardless of Miller since they dont know what will happen June 1
PrimeTime21
Analyst

Post#33 » by PrimeTime21 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 12:09 pm

I think there are a few teams out there that would be interested in getting Sam this offseason if with their playoff loses fresh in their minds. I can see Cleveland being interested given Big Z's huge flop of a series vs. Howard, Dallas seems possible too, along with Phoenix if big Shaq goes elsewhere. San Antonio would be deadly with Sammy next to Duncan. Yes, Philly will have to take back a bad contract and/or crappy stiff but I still think he is moveable.
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#34 » by Gsraider » Wed Jun 3, 2009 12:59 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:Thad and Dalembert in a package they are kicking the tires on if they can get an elite 2 guard.

I kind of hope Stefanski fails here because I think trading Thad will be a big mistake. I also hope that his idea of an elite SG is not B. Gordon or something along those lines. What elite SG can you get by the way? A broken down M. Redd? VC? C'mon.

I just hope that Stefanski doesn't act too aggressively to move Dalembert to make sure his job is secure. One more year and Dalembert goes from untradeable to what should be a very tradeable contract. Why not ressurrect the NO talks for Chandler if you are desperate to boot. Just get Sammy to waive his kicker or have Philly pick it up.
Mahorn at the 4
Senior

Post#35 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 1:00 pm

sixerfan1976 wrote:we wont buy an extra first..maybe a 2nd.

Thad and Dalembert in a package they are kicking the tires on if they can get an elite 2 guard.

I think they draft a PG regardless of Miller since they dont know what will happen June 1

Elite 2 guards?

Joe Johnson? Kevin Martin?

Spurs allegedly wanted Dalembert in the past.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,879

Post#36 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jun 3, 2009 1:00 pm

51X3R:

I want them to try to get the Wizards pick at 5 (trading Speights) to draft Curry.

I want them to move up to 11-13 and get whichever PG falls out of the top 10 (Jennings)

I do NOT want them to sit at 17 and draft a 6-foot-NOTHING PG who does not have NBA 3-point range.
Mahorn at the 4
Senior

Post#37 » by Mahorn at the 4 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 1:06 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:51X3R:

I want them to try to get the Wizards pick at 5 (trading Speights) to draft Curry.

I want them to move up to 11-13 and get whichever PG falls out of the top 10 (Jennings)

I do NOT want them to sit at 17 and draft a 6-foot-NOTHING PG who does not have NBA 3-point range.

I agree, Curry needs to be here.

Sixerfan, any word from the club on interest in Curry?

Another 2 guard...Jason Richardson?
Gsraider
Starter

Post#38 » by Gsraider » Wed Jun 3, 2009 2:37 pm

Mahorn at the 4 wrote:Elite 2 guards?

That's my point. For Joe Johnson? Yeah, as much as I love Thad, that is one guy I would have to seriously think about. And, the Hawks could actually use a real center and one who can run with their athletic core. However, would the Hawks really want another SF even if Young is a great prospect? Unless they can move M. Williams, I'm not sure this would work, although I suppose the deal could be expanded and Williams could go to a third team or to Philly as a reserve. Kevin Martin would also be interesting, but would Sacramento want Dalembert when they just drafted Hawes a couple of years ago? As for S. Antonio, they don't have any young SG's that I can think of.

Perhaps if they are really hell bent on this, they should look at the Clips real hard and see if they would consider moving E. Gordon. My understanding is that LA has been interested in moving Kaman for awhile and Young/Thorton could provide a pretty nice F combination down there for years to come. I suppose the biggest incentive for the Clips might be that Dalembert's contract expires a full year before Kaman's does.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#39 » by doctor him » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:23 pm

Mahorn at the 4 wrote:
sixerfan1976 wrote:we wont buy an extra first..maybe a 2nd.

Elite 2 guards?

I'm curious myself at what our management considers an "elite" 2 guard. (Personally, I agree with dealing for a high level 2 guard, but I'd do Iguodala before Young).

For example...if it's Martin or Johnson then yeah...bye Thad. If it's someone of the Ben Gordon ilk, then I'm not sure he qualifies. If it's someone like a Michael Redd (who also I wouldn't consider elite), then I'd be very concerned.

But after Joe Johnson and Kevin Martin...what 2 guard would be acceptable in terms of talent, youth and ceiling?

Eric Gordon? Sure, but I can't see the Clips letting him go
OJ Mayo? See Eric Gordon
JR Smith? Don't think he's elite and don't think there's a fit there.
Rudy Fernandez? Maybe...I like him a lot, but I'm curious what our management thinks about him
Randy Foye? Not good enough
Mike Miller? See Randy Foye
Ray Allen? Too old
Vince Carter? Too old, but not by a whole lot
Tracy McGrady? Screams salary dump
Rip Hamilton? See Vince Carter
Manu Ginobili? Not sure about his age and injury history

And finally

James Harden? Dealing for a pick to draft a guy not in the league yet at this price would be risky

Outside of those (some realistic and others not) options I don't see anyone else for whom to deal.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#40 » by tk76 » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:42 pm

I've been worried about a Young/Sam trade for a while. Really disturbing.

By attaching Sam's dead weight to Thad you are devaluing what you can get for Thad. Meanwhile, just wait 1 year, and Sam is a huge expiring, and no longer has negative trade value. Why would you want to take out most promising young player and devalue him by using him to help you unload Sam?

If you are going to unload a promising 20 year old you want to maximize his value to get back the best star you can. Wait 1 year, then you can package a valuable expiring Sam with someone like Thad or Speights for a superstar.

Expiring + young talent + picks = Superstar (a couple get moved like this every year.)

Bad Contract + young talent = only a good player
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#41 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:53 pm

Word, tk.

I'll have to wait a year to get my Ho-Hos...
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#42 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Jun 3, 2009 3:58 pm

BTW: Are they completely and utterly against Iggy at the 2? And for what reasons?
Gsraider
Starter

Post#43 » by Gsraider » Wed Jun 3, 2009 4:32 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:BTW: Are they completely and utterly against Iggy at the 2? And for what reasons?

That's what I want to know. Granted, if you bring back A. Miller at the PG spot, I can see why it might be tougher to play Iguodala at the SG spot. HOwever, if the team can obtain a PG that can shoot from distance, why not? Rondo can't shoot, but is offset by the sweet shooting R. Allen and P. Pierce at the SG/SF spots. Iguodala is a mediocre shooter and Young appears to be improving his jumper. Alongside Miller, this is not a good combo. If you have a better shooting point however, it could work. It would also put three "high basketball IQ" players next to each other for Jordan's offense in Brand, Iguodala, and Young. Guys that might be available that often come to mind and have been suggested on this board are Bibby and Hinrich. In the case of Hinrich, he also happens to be a pretty good defender. Figure out a S&T involving Miller and him. It would help Philly and probably give Chicago's explosive scorer's more looks. Hinrich makes around $9.5 million next year, so it is doable.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#44 » by Cru Thik » Wed Jun 3, 2009 5:19 pm

Just say no to Hinrich I just can't wrap my head around the love for this bust.

James Harden I do not want him at all the guy is afraid to compete against Tyreke Evans in workouts that's not the type of player I want on my team. On the other hand Evans is ready to lace them up against anyone and get out there that's the type of person/player I would look at.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
los gogos
Ballboy

Post#45 » by los gogos » Wed Jun 3, 2009 6:51 pm

By attaching Sam's dead weight to Thad you are devaluing what you can get for Thad. Meanwhile, just wait 1 year, and Sam is a huge expiring, and no longer has negative trade value. Why would you want to take out most promising young player and devalue him by using him to help you unload Sam?

I agree here, I don't think I can get excited about Kevin Martin, especially if it means giving up Thad. Martin is good, but I think his head is close to the ceiling, you're not going to get much more out of him. Thad has a world of potential to look forward to. I am not as attached to Speights though. I was disappointed with his focus and toughness in the playoffs, the only time I really saw him play, mind you. Do they teach boxing out anymore at he lower levels of?
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#46 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jun 3, 2009 7:22 pm

sf76:

I really think that if we want to move Speights to get either Hinrich or Curry, we better be sure that Smith is healthy enough to go back into the rotation...what is the latest on his condition? Is he scrimmaging yet? Do they expect him to be fully ready to go by training camp?
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,939

Post#47 » by Foshan » Wed Jun 3, 2009 7:42 pm

Hey SF, on the trade forums here there was an idea bounced around for a
Dally to Utah
AK to Phx
JRich to Phi
+ filler pieces to make salaries work, is something like that too 'fantasy' and not a reality? While JRich's contract sucks he seems like he'd be a great fit at the 2 with out really giving up too much if we're not planning to use Sammy anyway. Thoughts?

And because its worth a repost:
Cassidy wrote:Image
51X3RF4N
Lead Assistant
And1: 935

Post#48 » by 51X3RF4N » Wed Jun 3, 2009 7:54 pm

bebop...

I'm confused. You don't want a 6'0 PG who doesn't have NBA 3pt range. Ok fine.

Did you know that Lawson shot 47% from 3pt land the year they moved the line BACK in college?
Also, he regularly drained 3pt shots from well beyond the pushed back college arc. He definitely has NBA range. What are your other concerns about him?

Would you want Curry at PG or SG?

I'd be ok with Curry. But the difference between him and Lawson is not Speights IMO. Curry is 6'3 yea, but he is weak, and not as quick or fast as Lawson. He won't be able to defend NBA SG's and he isn't a true PG. The big knock on him is that he doesn't really fit either position.

One of Lawson's biggest values is that he is a true PG. I think that is the most important difference as to who people are going to be looking for the Sixers to draft.

If they want a true scorer who will light it up, score 25ppg and be a go-to guy on offense, they will want Curry.

If they want a true PG who will run the team, while still getting 15-18 ppg and be very efficient with the ball, they will want Lawson.

It's really a difference of styles and opinions.

For example, I think that this team should find a #1 option who is already in the league and has established themselves as a "star", trade for that person, put them next to Iggy. Then find a PG who can run the show, and a Center who has a shot at stopping Howard and the other great bigs in the league.

IMO the "star" can be a PF or a SG. Doesn't matter.

Starters
C- Defensive minded(higher IQ than Daly)
PF- Star or young, promising player
SF- Iggy
SG- Star or young, promising player
PG- Younger guy, Runs the show

I think any combination of that lineup would do well.

Other people would rather see a go-to guy come in and develop into a star next to Iggy, Thad, and Brand.

Either way is fine, but it all comes down to preference.
Your Future Sixers

C- Embiid/?
PF- ?/?
SF- ?/?
SG- ?/?
PG- ?/?
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#49 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jun 3, 2009 8:18 pm

If we were running a more traditional offense, I would put a higher premium on having a traditional PG.

But we're not.

We need a shooter who can defend. Curry is a better shooter than Lawson. He's also three inches taller.

Lawson can become a nice PG in this league. Curry can become a STAR.

And where - exactly - is Speights going to get all of the minutes that make him an untouchable? If we have 48 minutes to play a PF, I can see at least 36 to 40 of those minutes being taken by Brand and Thad. If you want to expand the discussion to the 4 and 5, then out of the 96 minutes we have there, I have over half of them going to Brand and Thad. If Smith plays - what - 15 to 18 minutes a game, than leaves 20 to 25 minutes - primarily at the 5 - left....and we still have a guy who is owed $23 million over the next two seasons that will probably get SOME time.

Speights is a nice player with upside...I also view him as a relative luxury at a time where we have a DESPERATE need for a shooter. He is the only guy who I think we can trade outside the core who has VALUE...and I think that - for this team, with our needs - Curry is enough of an upgrade over Lawson, Maynor or anybody else that may be there at 17 that I make the trade.

If you don't agree with that, that's cool.
los gogos
Ballboy

Post#50 » by los gogos » Wed Jun 3, 2009 8:29 pm

J-rich is very intriguing... I don't know if he is the perfect fit though.

A decent shooter with 3pt range, but not necessarily with knock down consistency.
Doesn't have the handles to drive into the lane at will
Likes to take time off on the defensive end...

not sure if that is what you want to build around considering the contract, but hey! we get rid of Sam and get a very solid 2!

Return to Philadelphia 76ers