ImageImageImage

The Tom Moore Thread

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

76STholder
Sophomore
And1: 0

Re: The Tom Moore Thread 

Post#1381 » by 76STholder » Fri Jul 3, 2009 4:39 am

Westbrook36ptII wrote:Forget 82-0 maybe we can go 98-0.

First team to not lose one game for the regular season and into the playoffs in NBA history.

If anyone can do it, it is those bad boys from Philly.

Opps, forgot the playoffs. Anyway, I think I made my point!
Kevin12
Banned User

Post#1382 » by Kevin12 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 4:45 am

"You play to win the game." - Herm Edwards
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#1383 » by PhilasFinest » Fri Jul 3, 2009 4:59 am

gotta love negadelphia
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Westbrook36ptII
Junior

Post#1384 » by Westbrook36ptII » Fri Jul 3, 2009 8:04 am

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/six ... utual.html

Inquirer saying what has been said before pretty much by Tom and SF. Sixers like Bibby but Bibby doesn't want to leave Atlanta. It doesn't really specify if he dislikes the Sixers or not though.

But I really don't want Bibby so I hope he signs with the Hawks.
Temp using this account until I can get Westbrook36 back.
sixers29
Ballboy

Post#1385 » by sixers29 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 8:15 am

bebopdeluxe wrote:Tom:

Speights should have started playing the day that Brand was out for the season.

I am REALLY tired of Stefanski's "GM-ing to save my job" act. Seriously. If they are REALLY going to try to sell us on a Lou/Holiday/minimum salary PG rotation (which, by extension, is an admission that the 2009-2010 season is a season of player development and waiting for contracts to become tradable), then WHY THE F*CK did they not go into that mode once Brand went down this past February? We blew a GOLDEN opportunity to do SO many thiings...

- Play Lou more at PG;

- Start Speights and get him 20-25 mpg

- Play Iguodala at the 2 and Thad at the 3...

What possible benefit did this franchise get from starting Willie Green at SG and giving Reggie Evans so many minutes? And if you are telling me that it was important to make the playoffs last season, then how the f*ck is that consistent with our approach this summer in FA? Huh?

I see teams all around the league pushing the envelope - many of them using THE EXACT SAME MLE CONTRACT that we have - to make moves to try to get better...and STefanski is going to try to sell us Ronnie FREAKING Price and Anthony FREAKING Parker (and Parker - a SG?!? - why the hell would we sign him if the goal is to have Iguodala as our SG by December?).

And the Sixers FO, Snider and the Roberts boys wonder why the Sixers are COMPLETELY irrelevant in this town? Huh??

Philly sports fans know a fraud franchise when they see it. They can SMELL when an ownership group is paying LIP SERVICE to the concept of WINNING. They can see - VERY CLEARLY - when a general manager is going "all in"...and when a GM is in job protection mode. Say what you will about the Flyers decision to trade a highly promising young defensemen and TWO NUMBER ONE PICKS for a 35-year old guy who may or may not still be a horse...many of the Flyers fan base at least appreciate Holmgren going for it...

Ed Snider signed off on the Pronger deal. I wonder if he is also signing off on the Ronnie Price deal.

"Ronnie Price! Way to GO for it, Ed!"

If there was a word that was more pathetic than "pathetic", I would use it right about now.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!
RETIRE MOSES MALONE'S NUMBER #2 SIXERS jersey!!!
http://www.sixers29.com/2009/01/retire-moses-malones-2-sixers-jersey.html
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#1386 » by freshie2 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 11:06 am

bebopdeluxe wrote:freshie:

I am pumped about Holiday as well...and if the REAL reason why they are not trying to do something more aggressive this summer at PG is that they think the kid can be a starter by 2010-11, that's great...and I am even OK with committing to the Lou/Holiday/Price PG rotation and accept the 40-45 wins and first-round playoff loss that will probably result. But if they are really planning to do that, then the way that they handled playing time last season after Brand went dow is utterly inexcusable and downright negligent. What is the difference between going with Lou/Holiday/Price at PG and starting Speights (who Stefanski puts out there as an "untouchable") when Brand went down and playing Iggy/Thad at the 2/3?

Answer? There IS no difference.

My only hope is that, when pressed as to why he is not bringing in a more seasoned PG to bridge the gap between Miller and Holiday...when he is asked if he is prepared for the growing pains (and losses) that will inevitably come from that decision...and when he is asked what the difference is between going with Lou/Holiday at PG this season and putting Speights in the starting lineup (and playing Iggy and Thad at the 2 and 3) when Brand went down, I hope that Stefanski has the sack to say, "in retrospect, that was a missed opportunity...I f*cked up...but I learned from that decision, and that is why we are going with the "Lou and Jrue" show this season..."

Any odds on hearing that admission?

Maybe from Tony DiLeo, but I don't think Ed will put it in those words. The fans wanted to see that, but we don't know how remedial Speights was in practice or how he mentally grasped the defensive schemes later in the season. I can't fault them for how they managed the team last season...they played the best 5 (in their opinion) to win, and were able to make and have a nice showing in the playoffs. There is a point where that is not acceptable, but I'm OK with what they have done and where they are going.

This isn't aimed at you, but in general I think most fans would love it if the Sixers made some great deals between now and the opener...I left for DC earlier in the week hoping to see a crawl telling me the s/t with Miller for Outlaw/Blake was a done deal, along with Brand/Sam to Miami for JON/Cook, but more realisticaly the current roster is very close to what they move forward with. I am really a bit shocked to see as much negativity on the board given what they are doing...it almost seems like people would like to see one or many of the young core dealt just to see player movement. The young core of Holiday/Iguodala/Young is a very solid and potentially spectacular trio upon which a decade of success should be built, but I would be very upset if they dealt key pieces in an attempt to be championship contenders for 2-3 years...I honestly think this team is legit in 2010-11, and am fine with a season similar to last in 2009-10.
wow444
Junior
And1: 2

Post#1387 » by wow444 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 12:35 pm

+1
Don't worry, that builds character and you can never have too much character...
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#1388 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:04 pm

freshie:

What is the difference between Speights struggling on defense with the starters this past February and March and Lou and Holiday struggling to run the Princeton offense in November and December?

The difference is that Speights already had 40+ games of experience by February 5th...and - in addition - the numbers at 82games.com clearly showed that Speights was a more productive player when he was out there with Miller, Iggy and Thad then when he was out there with Lou, Ivey and Evans (where many of his minutes came).

Again - I am OK with rolling Lou and Jrue out there from the jump and let them learn on the job...I'm just pizzed that Stefanski and DiLeo royally f*cked up by no doing the EXACT SAME thing last February when Brand went down. Unfortunately, Stefanski didn't want to lose his job...DeLeo cared more about winning games than developing his players (nice job by the "player personnel guy - huh?)...so instead of giving Lou more minutes at the point...playing Iguodala at the 2 and Thad at the 3...starting Speights at he 4...we started Green, moved Iggy and Thad to the 3/4....played lots of Evans...and WE MADE THE PLAYOFFS!!

Yippee.
tmoore
Head Coach
And1: 109

Post#1389 » by tmoore » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:37 pm

Evans should not have played so much, especially late in games. He was just a stop-gap who couldn't score or make free throws. Speights needs to get stronger and improve his defense, but additional PT would've been beneficial.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#1390 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:44 pm

tmoore wrote:Evans should not have played so much, especially late in games. He was just a stop-gap who couldn't score or make free throws. Speights needs to get stronger and improve his defense, but additional PT would've been beneficial.

Well put. It always annoyed me to hear Bob Salmi pump up Evans play to make it seem like his contributions were more than what they were. Speights often delivered down the stretch of games when given the opportunity, so it would have been nice to give him the nod more often. Despite his rookie intentions and defensive shortcomings, I still saw Speights be the superior player to Evans, and it wasn't even close. I was glad to see Evans go, mainly because the backup big man minutes will now have to be allocated between Speights and Smith.
freshie2
RealGM
And1: 599

Post#1391 » by freshie2 » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:50 pm

I don't disagree that I would have loved to see Speights get more time, but I don't think getting a young player more PT is always the main goal of a coach. Was he earning extra time in practice?? Was he royally screwing up defensive rotations, while Evans was not?? Those are pieces none of us know.

I am on board with wishing he would have seen more time, but it is not something we can control, nor do I believe kill the coach/GM over. Where this team stands today is the best (for long term success) it has stood in decades. The base is built on defense and overall length...adding some scorers/shooters ultimately won't be that difficult, and we get to watch some of the young talent grow...no complaints on my end. If they swing a Miller s/t or nail an MLE signing, they could be really tough this season, but I'm OK if they don't take a huge jump.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#1392 » by bebopdeluxe » Fri Jul 3, 2009 2:58 pm

freshie:

I am feeling you, bro...I just want some accountability - that's all. If the players are expected to be accountable for how they conduct their business, they we need to hold the front office accountable as well. It is completely inconsistent to run Lou/Jrue out there as our PG plan for 2009-10 after a season where we did not take the same approach to others (Speights, Iggy/Thad at 3/4, Lou vs. Ivey). I only hope that Tom or others ask Stefanski and DiLeo - if they go ahead with Lou/Jrue at the point, then why didn't they have the same approach to the roster and the season after Brand went down.

Of course, they may S&T Miller for Blake/whatever tomorrow, and everything that I have spouted about for the past two pages becomes moot.

;-)
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#1393 » by tmoore » Fri Jul 3, 2009 4:55 pm

Am told Sixers haven't heard from Blazers about a possible sign-and-trade deal involving Miller, though it's possible that could change after the Turkoglu situation is worked out.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#1394 » by tmoore » Fri Jul 3, 2009 4:56 pm

Also that Utah's Ronnie Price is a reasonable name for the vet minimum, but sounds like he'll re-sign with Utah.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#1395 » by tmoore » Fri Jul 3, 2009 5:03 pm

I hear the Sixers "don't see any players that would demand" the MLE and are looking for backups at the point, small forward and center.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,991

Post#1396 » by ankle420breaker » Fri Jul 3, 2009 5:35 pm

Great...
UptownPhilly
Analyst
And1: 184

Post#1397 » by UptownPhilly » Fri Jul 3, 2009 5:40 pm

A backup small forward? Maybe we sign a young guy to ride the pine.

Center. Their are some serviceable guys out there who can log 8-10 mpg. Nesterovic, Collins, Skinner?
eyeatoma
RealGM
And1: 11,602

Post#1398 » by eyeatoma » Fri Jul 3, 2009 6:01 pm

tmoore wrote:I hear the Sixers "don't see any players that would demand" the MLE and are looking for backups at the point, small forward and center.

ughghgh....
76STholder
Sophomore

Post#1399 » by 76STholder » Fri Jul 3, 2009 6:12 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:freshie:

I am feeling you, bro...I just want some accountability - that's all. If the players are expected to be accountable for how they conduct their business, they we need to hold the front office accountable as well. It is completely inconsistent to run Lou/Jrue out there as our PG plan for 2009-10 after a season where we did not take the same approach to others (Speights, Iggy/Thad at 3/4, Lou vs. Ivey). I only hope that Tom or others ask Stefanski and DiLeo - if they go ahead with Lou/Jrue at the point, then why didn't they have the same approach to the roster and the season after Brand went down.

Of course, they may S&T Miller for Blake/whatever tomorrow, and everything that I have spouted about for the past two pages becomes moot.

;-)

I find it amazing how management wants the players to be held accountable but it seems like managment can do what they want and we are just to act like penguins and line up and support them. Very good point and well presented by both of you!
shadowTerp
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#1400 » by shadowTerp » Fri Jul 3, 2009 6:24 pm

tmoore wrote:I hear the Sixers "don't see any players that would demand" the MLE and are looking for backups at the point, small forward and center.

I don't see why this is a bad statement. Who among the UFAs left is worth the MLE? Any of the RFAs that are any good will get more than the MLE or their original team will just match.

My guess is this means that some of the vet players they've talked to (Bibby, perhaps) want more than the MLE, which we can't do anyway. I'd rather not overpay just for the sake of it.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers