ImageImageImage

Tom Moore 3.0

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,552

Re: Tom Moore 3.0 

Post#2761 » by youngcrev » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:23 am

Good old Eddie Jordan and his 12-man rotation blew this game in the 3rd. Is it really necessary to try and get Kapono and Smith playing time?
KKell2507
Starter
And1: 507

Post#2762 » by KKell2507 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:33 am

Tom can you make sense of what that rotation was in the 2nd half? Where was Carney or even brand down the stretch? Thaddeus has been off recently on offense and has been just awful on defense all year but was still in the game in crunch time as well as AI having to guard Nick Young, and Butler as they just rain jumpers over his head. Makes no sense to me, of course not much that EJ does makes sense to me.
tmoore
Head Coach
And1: 109

Post#2763 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:10 am

Did some research: Iverson had more turnovers (seven) than points (four) for only the second time in his 14-year career. It also happened early in his rookie season in a Nov. 9, 1996, victory over the Suns (six points, nine turnovers).
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2764 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:26 am

iguodala: "We have to go out there and play like we’re 10-24 instead of acting like we’re 24-10. "We kind of have too much swagger. We haven’t put too many solid games together. Thirty-five games in, we should have more continuity."
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2765 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:27 am

KKell2507 wrote:Tom can you make sense of what that rotation was in the 2nd half? Where was Carney or even brand down the stretch? Thaddeus has been off recently on offense and has been just awful on defense all year but was still in the game in crunch time as well as AI having to guard Nick Young, and Butler as they just rain jumpers over his head. Makes no sense to me, of course not much that EJ does makes sense to me.

I cannot. I'm still waiting for a nine- or 10-man rotation where guys have a pretty good idea when they're going to get their minutes.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2766 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:29 am

Lou Williams: "I think a problem we have is when the momentum does shift, we tend to hang our head instead of rallying. We kind of sit back and take the punches."
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2767 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:29 am

Iverson: "We had every opportunity in the world to win that game. It was a late Christmas present to them."
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#2768 » by Lapinski » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:45 am

Tom you are obligated to ask why Carney didn't play in the second half. It is like everything was going well and then Jordan decided to sabotage the game bringing in Kapono just when Washington was getting hot. When Thaddeus and AI had nothing going all game why they were left in there to get torched late in the game is beyond me. He had players on the bench that he could have used to stem the bleeding, someone needs to ask him why they didn't play.

PS- I realize it would be difficult confronting him I just wish someone could ask him those thing.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant

Post#2769 » by Lapinski » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:48 am

tmoore wrote:Lou Williams: "“I think a problem we have is when the momentum does shift, we tend to hang our head instead of rallying. We kind of sit back and take the punches."

Is losing making these players numb to it all? This is the worst thing possible if you ask me. Players are feeling hopeless.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2770 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:49 am

Another one: Iverson took just six shots in the drubbing by the Wizards two games after tying a career-low with four attempts in a loss to the Clippers. Iverson has fewer than seven field goal attempts in two of the past three games after doing so twice in his first 896 NBA outings.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2771 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:52 am

Lapinski wrote:Tom you are obligated to ask why Carney didn't play in the second half. It is like everything was going well and then Jordan decided to sabotage the game bringing in Kapono just when Washington was getting hot. When Thaddeus and AI had nothing going all game why they were left in there to get torched late in the game is beyond me. He had players on the bench that he could have used to stem the bleeding, someone needs to ask him why they didn't play.

PS- I realize it would be difficult confronting him I just wish someone could ask him those thing.

Here's what happens when you ask that (as myself and others have this season): The answer is that Jordan wants the players to feel like they're all part of something and that he likes going 11 or 12 deep because he's given guys experience when the Sixers have injuries.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant

Post#2772 » by Lapinski » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:03 am

tmoore wrote:Another one: Iverson took just six shots in the drubbing by the Wizards two games after tying a career-low with four attempts in a loss to the Clippers. Iverson has fewer than seven field goal attempts in two of the past three games after doing so twice in his first 896 NBA outings.

So, now having lost 2 of the last 3 (funny how those streaks shift so suddenly) do you think AI not shooting hurt us in those games? I feel he was flat, "his mind made a promise his body can't keep." The turnovers and lack of shooting tells me that. Allen knew he wouldn't be able to score and I am thankful he didn't push it. I would think an experienced coach would recognize that and use someone else. It seems to me like AI has adjusted well to playing here and doing what he can to win, but some nights like tonight he just didn't have it most of the game.

Our downfall to me in the second half was defense and not having your best defenders out there. Guys like Carney and Speights played well in the first half and hardly played the second half. The Thad for Brand I could not understand late in the game.
Mojo7
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#2773 » by Mojo7 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:18 am

Lapinski wrote:
tmoore wrote:Lou Williams: "“I think a problem we have is when the momentum does shift, we tend to hang our head instead of rallying. We kind of sit back and take the punches."

Is losing making these players numb to it all? This is the worst thing possible if you ask me. Players are feeling hopeless.

If you know you can't get stops because your coach won't allow it...
Lapinski
Lead Assistant

Post#2774 » by Lapinski » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:19 am

or put the players on the floor that will play grind it out defense...

I can't believe Jordan can make these substitutions and expect good results. It looks like someone is intentionally coaching to lose. I just hope this guy doesn't gamble, because it looks at times the fix is in.
Mojo7
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#2775 » by Mojo7 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:20 am

Hey Lou, how about keeping your guy in front of you. You can stop momentum that way. Novel, I know. But it just might work...
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2776 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:51 pm

Brand: "It’s mental. This loss maybe burns the most (this season)."

For a team with a 10-24 record and three losses to the Wizards and two losses to the Clippers, that's an accomplishment.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2777 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 2:52 pm

Iverson on his health: "I’m 100 percent, when it comes to conditioning and being in basketball shape. My knee is not right there with the rest of my body. That’s coming along. I’m able to get to spots on the court that I want to. I’m playing without any pain. The only thing I’m dealing with is it stiffening up when I sit down."
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,893

Post#2778 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:30 pm

tmoore wrote:
Lapinski wrote:Tom you are obligated to ask why Carney didn't play in the second half. It is like everything was going well and then Jordan decided to sabotage the game bringing in Kapono just when Washington was getting hot. When Thaddeus and AI had nothing going all game why they were left in there to get torched late in the game is beyond me. He had players on the bench that he could have used to stem the bleeding, someone needs to ask him why they didn't play.

Here's what happens when you ask that (as myself and others have this season): The answer is that Jordan wants the players to feel like they're all part of something and that he likes going 11 or 12 deep because he's given guys experience when the Sixers have injuries.

Whatever happened to guys EARNING their minutes?

Isn't this the essence of team sports? If you want to play, then perform...in games, practices, film study...sports is - in theory at least - supposed to be a meritocracy. The best players play. In addition, if you play well, you should expect to continue to play. To not reward good play with predictable minutes in the future goes directly against both traditional coaching philosophy as well as established behavioral theory.

The pattern behind Rodney Carney's minutes over the past few games defies all logic.

(there I go again...trying to link logic with EFJ's coaching)

When a team is 10-24, the distribution of minutes and substitution rotations should have ZERO to do with getting all 11-12 guys minutes in the event that injuries may require preparedness....and EVERYTHING to do with playing the best guys the most minutes, creating cohesiveness with situational lineups and exploiting matchups on the floor.

I AM A IRRELEVENT YABO ON AN INTERNET FORUM AND I KNOW THIS.

As Ed Stefanski watches that game last night from his box (and if he has the cojones to review the 2nd half tape), what possible conclusions could he be drawing from his coach's lineups, use of the roster and substitution patterns that would support Eddie Jordan's continued employment as head coach of the Philadelphia 76ers?

We'll never know...because Stefanski is a spineless, gutless GM who is only looking to save his job and serve the Comcast bean-counters. If they guy had ANY sack, he would man up...address this issue HEAD-ON and DEAL WITH IT.

But he won't.

I have been following Philadelphia sports for almost 40 years, and this is - without question - the most blatant mismanagement of a team's talent and roster development that I have ever seen. There have been other bad teams to be sure, but those teams did not have the same amount of talent on the roster...the same amount of promising young talent...and the same level of virtually criminal mismanagement of resources as this Sixers team has...with ABSOLUTELY ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY to the fans or the ownership (who, by the way, has FOREVER abdicated the right to call the Philadelphia fanbase to task for not supporting this team).

My utter hatred for what is happening knows no boundaries.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant

Post#2779 » by Lapinski » Wed Jan 6, 2010 3:51 pm

I lived through 9-73 and I think I actually feel worse now. At least then we had gotten rid of Dr Jack Ramsey who had destroyed the championship team from 4 years prior and knew things could get no worse. Sort of like if we ride this out we will eventually get back to the top of the mountain. I now just look towards misery with Jordan as coach.
doctor him
Assistant Coach
And1: 421

Post#2780 » by doctor him » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:14 pm

With these substitution patterns that seemingly defy the boundaries of logic and some of these "coaching motivational" moves that seemingly are desinged to be completely contrary to that end...and I'm not sure I actually believe it or am saying it...but:

"Is it possible that the Sixers are going into the tank for the season?"

I'm not a fan of tanking it, but if they were that would almost make me feel better about this debacle. I'd hate to think these moves were designed with winning in mind.

I still believe that they are DESPARATE to win something this season, but with games like last night I'm starting to have my doubts.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers