Tom Moore 3.0

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

sweetlou23
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Re: Tom Moore 3.0 

Post#2781 » by sweetlou23 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:38 pm

tmoore wrote:
Lapinski wrote:Tom you are obligated to ask why Carney didn't play in the second half. It is like everything was going well and then Jordan decided to sabotage the game bringing in Kapono just when Washington was getting hot. When Thaddeus and AI had nothing going all game why they were left in there to get torched late in the game is beyond me. He had players on the bench that he could have used to stem the bleeding, someone needs to ask him why they didn't play.

PS- I realize it would be difficult confronting him I just wish someone could ask him those thing.

Here's what happens when you ask that (as myself and others have this season): The answer is that Jordan wants the players to feel like they're all part of something and that he likes going 11 or 12 deep because he's given guys experience when the Sixers have injuries.

This is what i mean by being a grade school coach. The object of the game is to win. This is not pee wee football, where everybody gets to play. please, please, please fire this guy. I know a school with an intramural team that needs a coach.
Foshan
Forum Mod - 76ers
Forum Mod - 76ers
And1: 1,944

Post#2782 » by Foshan » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:42 pm

How cool would it be if after tanking horribly this season and getting a great draft pick, EFJ comes out next season and acts like a real coach? Establishes a rotation, doesn't isolate players, gets the best out of each player, puts players in positions to succeed, preaches defense along with an uptempo style of basketball stressing ball movement on offense...

<reality check>
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#2783 » by tk76 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 4:50 pm

If he was tanking then maybe he's be giving his 3 yougest players (Jrue, Speights and Young) decent minutes. EJ has seemed to settle on always giving the 3 a combined 46 minutes or less.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,893

Post#2784 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jan 6, 2010 5:02 pm

tk76 wrote:If he was tanking then maybe he's be giving his 3 yougest players (Jrue, Speights and Young) decent minutes. EJ has seemed to settle on always giving the 3 a combined 46 minutes or less.

Maybe they would win too many games if he did that.
smssjp20
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#2785 » by smssjp20 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 7:31 pm

Carney and Speights earned the right to get solid minutes in the 2nd half. Who cares what Kapono and Smith feel? They'll get other chances, but on this night, to replace Carney and Speights was a decision that I thought wasn't even an option. That is, until I remembered that Eddie Jordan is coaching the 76ers.
"Suddenly Moscow is Pro-Rocky!"
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#2786 » by Gsraider » Wed Jan 6, 2010 8:04 pm

sweetlou23 wrote:This is what i mean by being a grade school coach. The object of the game is to win. This is not pee wee football, where everybody gets to play. please, please, please fire this guy. I know a school with an intramural team that needs a coach.

Totally agree and chalk up another one for Jordan. Only he could get all 13 guys feeling like total and complete losers, rather than the typical 8-9 that most coaches can. Now, all the players can feel they are a part of this misery. Worst coach this town has seen since R. Ayers. Easily on par with J. Davis and F. Carter as well.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#2787 » by Lapinski » Wed Jan 6, 2010 8:19 pm

Don't worry if Jordan needs to find a new level in incompetence I'm sure he consults with Avery.
tmoore
Head Coach
And1: 109

Post#2788 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 8:39 pm

Jordan was asked after Wednesday's practice if he's still feeling his team out with the rotation. Here is his long-winded answer: "I just think with the injuries – when Lou was going well, he was a starter. When he was out, you’ve got to find a starter and a different rotation for that. For the most part, I don’t like tinkering with the lineup. We hadn’t for a while, but Elton got hurt. Recently, we’ve been pretty solid off the bench with Elton and Marreese as our two bigs and a guard. When Willie was healthy, he was the first guard off the bench. That’s eight players. Most teams go with an eight-player rotation, then you pick the guys at 9, 10 and 11 that you think can match up for you, that had good practices, that you think can do things against a zone or a bigger matchup. I don’t think our rotation is that skewed, like you guys think. We go eight players and then we go 9, 10 and 11 like most other teams. It depends – some of it’s a gut feeling, some of it’s how guys are practicing and some of it’s matchups. It’s not as quacky or quirky as you guys think it is. All right?"
Welfare Fraud
Starter
And1: 13

Post#2789 » by Welfare Fraud » Wed Jan 6, 2010 8:54 pm

tmoore wrote:We go eight players and then we go 9, 10 and 11 like most other teams.

Well at least we know he can count.
Cru Thik
Lead Assistant
And1: 188

Post#2790 » by Cru Thik » Wed Jan 6, 2010 8:58 pm

Hawks hold players only meeting in the realgm headlines. Anyone else find it funny we have yet to have a players only meeting? The Hawks are 4th in the East at 21-12, they go on a 4 game loosing streak and bang players only meeting to get back on track. Who is leading this team? It's not the coach it's not LeBron Jr. it's just a total mess.
2 Time RealGM 76ers Fantasy Basketball Champ
ojr107
Veteran

Post#2791 » by ojr107 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 8:58 pm

tmoore wrote:Jordan was asked after Wednesday's practice if he's still feeling his team out with the rotation. Here is his long-winded answer: "I just think with the injuries – when Lou was going well, he was a starter. When he was out, you’ve got to find a starter and a different rotation for that. For the most part, I don’t like tinkering with the lineup. We hadn’t for a while, but Elton got hurt. Recently, we’ve been pretty solid off the bench with Elton and Marreese as our two bigs and a guard. When Willie was healthy, he was the first guard off the bench. That’s eight players. Most teams go with an eight-player rotation, then you pick the guys at 9, 10 and 11 that you think can match up for you, that had good practices, that you think can do things against a zone or a bigger matchup. I don’t think our rotation is that skewed, like you guys think. We go eight players and then we go 9, 10 and 11 like most other teams. It depends – some of it’s a gut feeling, some of it’s how guys are practicing and some of it’s matchups. It’s not as quacky or quirky as you guys think it is. All right?"

Wasn't there, but the print of the answer makes him seem very petty. The question was very non confrontational and was about a legitimate issue.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2792 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 9:06 pm

He didn't seem to be too pleased with the question. I asked earlier if he's thought about limiting his rotation to guys who defend, but he said you can't do that. I just meant for one game to show you have to defend.

They spent a lot of practice on pick-and-roll defense, defensive rotations and 1-on-1 defense, then watched film.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2793 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 9:24 pm

Dalembert, asked if the rotation is confusing to him: "It is confusing. Overall, it’s nothing new."
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,893

Post#2794 » by bebopdeluxe » Wed Jan 6, 2010 9:27 pm

Tom:

Do you think he would like this question any better:

"Coach, last night you threw your players under the bus with your post-game comments that you had the Wiz in the penalty with less than 3 minutes gone in the 3rd quarter, and they did not try to get to the FT line to take advantage of that...to that end, why did you then choose to sub in two of your most perimeter-oriented offensive players in Kapono and Smith?"

The man takes ZERO responsibility.

The sad thing is I genuinely believe that his coaching philosophy is that when his team has a big lead and the opposing team makes a run, the thought is not to turn up the defensive intensity on the floor, but to score more to offset it. Otherwise, how can you possibly explain why he went to Kapono and Smith instead of Carney (who has been shooting the 3 as well as Kapono, and is certainly a better defender) and Speights (who combines a good outside stroke with the ability to go to the low post and get to the line)?

His explanations are devoid of intelligence or rational logic...and yet he remains the coach of arguably the most underachieving team in the NBA. It is one thing to be playing badly...it is another thing entirely to give the impression that you have no system, no approach, no logical explanation for what you do or what happens out on the floor. If you cannot communicate the problem, how can you fix it? If you cannot communicate your system, how can you POSSIBLY implement it successfully?

Am I making any sense to you?
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2795 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 9:28 pm

That does make sense.
smssjp20
Ballboy

Post#2796 » by smssjp20 » Wed Jan 6, 2010 9:28 pm

tmoore wrote:Jordan was asked after Wednesday's practice if he's still feeling his team out with the rotation. Here is his long-winded answer: "I just think with the injuries – when Lou was going well, he was a starter. When he was out, you’ve got to find a starter and a different rotation for that. For the most part, I don’t like tinkering with the lineup. We hadn’t for a while, but Elton got hurt. Recently, we’ve been pretty solid off the bench with Elton and Marreese as our two bigs and a guard. When Willie was healthy, he was the first guard off the bench. That’s eight players. Most teams go with an eight-player rotation, then you pick the guys at 9, 10 and 11 that you think can match up for you, that had good practices, that you think can do things against a zone or a bigger matchup. I don’t think our rotation is that skewed, like you guys think. We go eight players and then we go 9, 10 and 11 like most other teams. It depends – some of it’s a gut feeling, some of it’s how guys are practicing and some of it’s matchups. It’s not as quacky or quirky as you guys think it is. All right?"

In this quote, he contradicts himself. "Most teams go with an eight-player rotation," and then he says, "and then we go 9, 10 and 11 like most other teams." What is it EJ?

Not the first time. I'd actually like them just not to practice because his philosophies, whether offense or defense, makes this team measurably worse.
"Suddenly Moscow is Pro-Rocky!"
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,985

Post#2797 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jan 6, 2010 9:46 pm

This is why I have no confidence or faith in our team succeeding. YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! "I don't think our rotation is that skewed?" WHAT ROTATION? He brings certain subs off the bench in the first half and then goes with different subs in the second half. I mean, his rotations and minute distribution are hands down the most inconsistent I've seen since I've been a hoops fan. Speights, for example, only played 12 minutes last night.

Also, I love how his substitution pattern is often based off his 'gut feeling.' Does he realize that at 10-24 his gut feeling hasn't exactly paid dividends? Was going with our tiniest back court possible against much taller guards his gut feeling? They shot over our guards all night and when Thad rotated (which seemed to be every other play) they found a wide open Jamison every time. Jordan had plenty of opportunities to sub in some taller guards (Holiday/Carney) to cover Butler/Young/Arenas, but his gut feeling told him to stick with the lineup that turned an 18 point lead into a 7 point loss. Brand also sat for most of the 4th while we desperately needed some interior defense/toughness. It's really difficult to believe in this team while Jordan is here.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2798 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 10:30 pm

Willie Green: "The norm for NBA teams is to usually get their rotation set by this time. But we’re still trying to find ourselves and our identity as a team. Consequently, our rotation is not exactly set. From a coaching standpoint, they’re trying to find players to come in and give us a lift."
Gsraider
Starter
And1: 111

Post#2799 » by Gsraider » Wed Jan 6, 2010 10:38 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:"Coach, last night you threw your players under the bus with your post-game comments that you had the Wiz in the penalty with less than 3 minutes gone in the 3rd quarter, and they did not try to get to the FT line to take advantage of that...to that end, why did you then choose to sub in two of your most perimeter-oriented offensive players in Kapono and Smith?"

The man takes ZERO responsibility.

Sticking with the ZERO responsibility theme, which I completely agree with, here's another subtle gem by Jordan:

"Obviously very disappointing that we can't finish out a game that we had pretty much control of in the first half," Jordan said. "We told our team that we had them in the penalty with nine minutes to go in the third quarter, that now it's time really to put them down: drive to the basket, get fouled and make some free throws. We didn't do either."

Ever so subtly, Jordan makes sure that everyone knows that the coaches told the players exactly what to do, but again, the players didn't come through. Then again, a sane coach would call timeouts and berate his guys if they weren't doing what they needed to and/or would sub in guys that would. Jordan does neither, but hey, he he told them and as he said earlier, "he's winning all the practices."
mega montana
General Manager

Post#2800 » by mega montana » Wed Jan 6, 2010 10:43 pm

tmoore wrote:Dalembert, asked if the rotation is confusing to him: "It is confusing. Overall, it’s nothing new."

you know this quote reminds me of jim o'brien's time as headcoach

he had a head scratching "rotation"

webber, dalembert, glenn robinson (i think he was here when obie was coach) all had their minutes yo-yoed
Hates the Sixers' brass

Return to Philadelphia 76ers