Tom Moore 3.0

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Re: Tom Moore 3.0 

Post#281 » by dbodner » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:09 am

And Sheed couldn't give a rats @ss about playing defense sometimes, Sam's problem is he tries to block EVERYTHING!

Um...to put it politely, I very strongly disagree with this assessment. Sheed's one of the most underrated defenders of this decade. He was a much better defender than Sam ever was or ever will be.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 217

Post#282 » by ChuckS » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:09 am

This interesting discussion brought to mind some things Dee Lynam said during today's interviews...and much more subtly than did I recently, I might add.

She observed a not insignificant reduction of minutes last year for Sam. She acknowledged occasional early foul trouble and in a non-accusatory manner, but somewhat quizzically, I thought, noted that he sat many minutes through the rest of the game with three more fouls yet to give.

Personally, I would have had no problem with that if we had Brand or a four time DPOY or Sheed. But we had Theo, who did a nice job, but in necessarily limited minutes, and we used Speights and Evans collectively for about 30 per. I, personally, would have finished games with my best, Sam, unless there was a compelling reason of which I am not aware.

Although he certainly expresses his opinions when interviewed (some say whines), I didn't sense, from listening to Dee, that he is a Marbury in the locker room. (She seems to like him.) Scottie Pippen said that players know who should be playing. Maybe Sam isn't as dumb as some think.
Don
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#283 » by Don » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:24 am

Seems like the whole team knows there is a problem with Sam, especially in the comments and body language. Players and coaches seem to know that there's a problem, but don't want to throw him under the bus. Usually coaches put in their better players, except in the case of Dalembert. Cheeks, DiLeo, both seemed to not favor him. Matter of fact, since JOB, I think he fell out of favor. Perhaps they realized his potential was reached (not for his physical ceiling, but because his mental inability to grow in the game). Can he jump and try to block "everything" like his few unflappable fans say? Does he have the smarts not to go for every head and ball fake or to switch his man in response to specific plays? Does he have the willingness to study the game? Does he have the willingness to work harder on his footwork in the paint? No- he's worked on his scuba diving. In the light of his public comments, seems to me like there may be some attitude/unwillingness issues. I think the organization does not like him- similar to any job, a guy not performing and often complaining about the organization in a public and embarrassing way is getting walked out sooner than later. He would've been gone last year if his contract wasn't a problem.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#284 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:33 am

It was only 2 years ago where Sam had a 10-10-2 season and we thought he was turning the corner.
I agree with him Mo Cheeks/Dileo(Neither of which would be a head coach anywhere else) stole Dalembert's minutes.

I don't think Daly's problems is 2 fouls in the first quarter, it's 2 fouls in the first 5-6 minutes. And that tends to scare coaches. Which goes to fundamentals, which he's never worked on.

I'm fine with his regime as far as keeping his mind calm, but he should add some basketball in there too.
ChuckS
Bench Warmer
And1: 217

Post#285 » by ChuckS » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:51 am

I grew up watching Chamberlain, Russell, Thurmond, and then Kareem through Shaq. I would love to have nothing but such great players on my team. So please understand that I have come neither to praise nor to bury Caesar.

I saw no indication that this team has been affected by Sam's behavior, but if it is so then I agree with whomever suggested sending him away if he cannot be traded.

The fact is that until the sensitive Mr Stefanski arrived, as Dee pointed out, Sam had successes against great front lines (Detroit) and great players (Duncan), and had proven to be a (rare) double/double caliber center.

It is, as you wrote, commonplace in industry to dismiss or otherwise punish complainers. I also have no rigid thoughts on this, other than the punishment should fit the crime. In the case of basketball it would be what is best for the team. I think Theo's demise suggests player treatment might be predicated more on arrogance then potential harm. Management has not been averse to using the media and certainly has greater access. I thought that Dalembert's eccentricities were handled better in the past.

There remains, of course, the dumb thing, and potential reached ceiling. Speaking only as a fan, I think, since we kept Sam, that I prefer not to play someone ahead of him whose ignorance of the game, and/or lesser current capability, exceed Sam's stupidity. I certainly understand the opposing arguments, however.
sweetlou23
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Post#286 » by sweetlou23 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Part of the problem with Sam is that he was frozen out of the game on the offensive end by Miller. Sam had very little to do with the offense last year and I think that his play on the defensive end was affected by his lack of touches on the offensive end.
BobbyJones
Senior
And1: 0

Post#287 » by BobbyJones » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:22 pm

tmoore wrote:Kapono is wearing No. 72 because he couldn’t get 24 — Bobby Jones’ jersey is retired. Known for his 3-point shooting, Kapono simply multiplied 24 by three.

:D
BobbyJones
Senior

Post#288 » by BobbyJones » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:32 pm

sweetlou23 wrote:Part of the problem with Sam is that he was frozen out of the game on the offensive end by Miller. Sam had very little to do with the offense last year and I think that his play on the defensive end was affected by his lack of touches on the offensive end.

From what I have heard, Sam likes to warm up for games by sitting on the bench, trying to make baskets. He thinks it is funny to shoot trick shots, when he should be getting on his game face, and warming up his muscles. As long as this is his approach to the game, with a "Horse" mentality to shooting, is it any wonder he does not get involved in the offense.

Sam's problem is that he is a walking contradiction. One minute he is saying that defense and rebounding is his schtick, next minute he is complaining about his lack of touches on O. If only he could see that he really is just in there for D and boards, he would find that the rest would come in time. Unfortunately, he'd prefer to shoot free throws between his legs to try and make people laugh.
tmoore
Head Coach
And1: 109

Post#289 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:45 pm

Dalembert's lack of a go-to inside move eight years into his NBA career tells you something ...
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#290 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:34 pm

Am in press room at St. Joe's waiting to be able to watch last 30 minutes of first Sixers' training camp workout. They're on the practice court because of construction on the Fieldhouse.
PrimeTime21
Analyst

Post#291 » by PrimeTime21 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 3:47 pm

Hey Tom do you have a twitter account? And if you dont (I can't find it anyway) do you ever think about getting one? Would be great to get sixers info without wadding thru alot of the senseless drivel of a few posters here.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#292 » by dbodner » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:02 pm

PrimeTime21 wrote:Hey Tom do you have a twitter account? And if you dont (I can't find it anyway) do you ever think about getting one? Would be great to get sixers info without wadding thru alot of the senseless drivel of a few posters here.

search.php?author_id=103740&sr=posts
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#293 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Stromile Swift strained his hamstring in the first workout and is out for at least the rest of the day and probably longer.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#294 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:09 pm

Did a lot of drills and worked on de-programming players used to standing around into moving and cutting at all times. Jordan let the players know when he didn't like what was going on and had them run it again.
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 190

Post#295 » by 9th Wonder » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:13 pm

sweetlou23 wrote:Part of the problem with Sam is that he was frozen out of the game on the offensive end by Miller. Sam had very little to do with the offense last year and I think that his play on the defensive end was affected by his lack of touches on the offensive end.

I'm of the opinion that a player is not simply entitled to participate in the offense because he is on the floor. If Sam has little to contribute on the offensive end, he shouldn't be getting the ball.

BobbyJones wrote:From what I have heard, Sam likes to warm up for games by sitting on the bench, trying to make baskets. He thinks it is funny to shoot trick shots, when he should be getting on his game face, and warming up his muscles. As long as this is his approach to the game, with a "Horse" mentality to shooting, is it any wonder he does not get involved in the offense.

Sam's problem is that he is a walking contradiction. One minute he is saying that defense and rebounding is his schtick, next minute he is complaining about his lack of touches on O. If only he could see that he really is just in there for D and boards, he would find that the rest would come in time. Unfortunately, he'd prefer to shoot free throws between his legs to try and make people laugh.

Exactly. You can't complain about your lack of a role and then go screw around in warm-ups and go scuba diving in the summer.
Lapinski
Lead Assistant
And1: 94

Post#296 » by Lapinski » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:15 pm

dbodner wrote:
PrimeTime21 wrote:Hey Tom do you have a twitter account? And if you dont (I can't find it anyway) do you ever think about getting one? Would be great to get sixers info without wadding thru alot of the senseless drivel of a few posters here.

search.php?author_id=103740&sr=posts

The search feature you used above has restricted access. I imagine you were looking for a listing of twitter accounts. Can you repost it in a fashion that doesn't have restricted access?
BobbyJones
Senior

Post#297 » by BobbyJones » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:20 pm

Mark, my guess is he was pointing to an explanation of how to put the "drivel" posters on "ignore", not on how to find someone on Twitter. Anyway, no sense in asking Tom to switch a formula that works well for the vast majority of people on this board, especially given the fact that Tom goes to the trouble in the first place.

That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#298 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:29 pm

ELTON BRAND on Jordan stopping practice if guys stand around and don’t "cross" spots in half-court offense: "One of the things he said is repetition brings perfection. He doesn’t mind stopping (practice) and throwing around a few ‘F bombs’ if it’s not working (laughs). That’s what coaches do."
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#299 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:32 pm

It's not senseless drivel: Sam I am SUCKS, unfortunately unless Speights beasts in camp he's our starting C.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#300 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:35 pm

Tom, how Louie look from what you seen?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers