ImageImageImage

Tom Moore 3.0

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Tom Moore 3.0 

Post#2801 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Jan 6, 2010 10:45 pm

This is effectively killing off a year of development for our players.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#2802 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Jan 6, 2010 10:46 pm

mega montana wrote:
tmoore wrote:Dalembert, asked if the rotation is confusing to him: "It is confusing. Overall, it’s nothing new."

you know this quote reminds me of jim o'brien's time as headcoach

he had a head scratching "rotation"

webber, dalembert, glenn robinson (i think he was here when obie was coach) all had their minutes yo-yoed

Whiney dog whined about coming off the bench. That's why we traded him for naught(ended up not doing much the rest of the way).
tmoore
Head Coach
And1: 109

Post#2803 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 11:11 pm

I asked Jordan about the possibility of playing five guys who defend.
Jordan: And then not score the ball efficiently?
Me: If you’re up 18 … There’s two ways to look at it: Either you have to outscore them or stop them at some point.
Jordan: Your best players should be good defenders. That’s what we’re trying to get to. We’re trying to get our best players to defend as a unit and defend individually, so we can have balance. There’s no such thing as unbalanced. Good teams don’t just put five defenders on the floor.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2804 » by tmoore » Wed Jan 6, 2010 11:19 pm

Dalembert on where the Sixers rank defensively compared to other Sixers teams he's played on: "Where we’re ranked, it hurts. I consider myself, without being cocky, one of the best defenders (on the team). I’ve got Elton Brand with me banging down low, blocking shots also. We shouldn’t be where we are, defensively. It hurts as a defensive player to see our team not be able to be at least in the top five defensively. That’s something we’re just going to have to work on as a whole to complement each other."
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,985

Post#2805 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Jan 6, 2010 11:32 pm

tmoore wrote:I asked Jordan about the possibility of playing five guys who defend.
Me: If you’re up 18 … There’s two ways to look at it: Either you have to outscore them or stop them at some point.
Jordan: Your best players should be good defenders. That’s what we’re trying to get to. We’re trying to get our best players to defends as a unit and defend individually, so we can have balance. There’s no such thing as unbalanced. Good teams don’t just put five defenders on the floor.

Wow
The Sixer Fixer
Lead Assistant
And1: 60

Post#2806 » by The Sixer Fixer » Wed Jan 6, 2010 11:35 pm

tmoore wrote:I asked Jordan about the possibility of playing five guys who defend.
Jordan: Your best players should be good defenders. That’s what we’re trying to get to. We’re trying to get our best players to defends as a unit and defend individually, so we can have balance. There’s no such thing as unbalanced. Good teams don’t just put five defenders on the floor.

Three of our best players by position (who should get big minutes and start) are Iguodala, Brand and Dalembert. You can play Iverson for scoring with that group and let Jrue or Willie play the point for better D there. Willie is also one of the teams better defenders (by position). Jordan thinks that type of 5 man unit doesn't bring enough offense? Wow!
sec-106
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#2807 » by sec-106 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:17 am

This is easily the most ridiculous season I ever remember (34 games in!!!)

E. Jordan, SuperGenius, has alienated his players, as well as the hardcore fanbase.

Meanwhile, E. Stefanski gives lip-service how he's "not happy" with the team.

No kidding, Professor. No kidding.

(Tom, do you have any info on a report that came out a few days after Billy King's firing, that the reason King was blow out like he was, was because Snider wanted to bring Larry Brown back to run the entire franchise. The Roberts were against this, and told Luukko to find someone immediately to replace King. I think this story came out of NY, but I don't remember for sure.)
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,789

Post#2808 » by Slacktard » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:39 am

Jordan: Your best players should be good defenders. That’s what we’re trying to get to. We’re trying to get our best players to defend as a unit and defend individually, so we can have balance. There’s no such thing as unbalanced. Good teams don’t just put five defenders on the floor.

lol. Every day Eddie Jordan keeps giving quotes that make you wonder just what the heck he is thinking about and where is his supposed basketball IQ at?

You're up by nearly 20 points and then the Wizards are getting hot and coming back on you, so do you put in better defenders to hold your lead and stop the Wizards? nope.

and as he pointed out that idea DOESN'T EVEN REGISTER for him. It's like you're talking a foreign language to him...
Mojo7
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#2809 » by Mojo7 » Thu Jan 7, 2010 3:36 am

ankle420breaker wrote:
tmoore wrote:Jordan was asked after Wednesday's practice if he's still feeling his team out with the rotation. Here is his long-winded answer: "I just think with the injuries – when Lou was going well, he was a starter. When he was out, you’ve got to find a starter and a different rotation for that. For the most part, I don’t like tinkering with the lineup. We hadn’t for a while, but Elton got hurt. Recently, we’ve been pretty solid off the bench with Elton and Marreese as our two bigs and a guard. When Willie was healthy, he was the first guard off the bench. That’s eight players. Most teams go with an eight-player rotation, then you pick the guys at 9, 10 and 11 that you think can match up for you, that had good practices, that you think can do things against a zone or a bigger matchup. I don’t think our rotation is that skewed, like you guys think. We go eight players and then we go 9, 10 and 11 like most other teams. It depends – some of it’s a gut feeling, some of it’s how guys are practicing and some of it’s matchups. It’s not as quacky or quirky as you guys think it is. All right?"

This is why I have no confidence or faith in our team succeeding. YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!!! "I don't think our rotation is that skewed?" WHAT ROTATION? He brings certain subs off the bench in the first half and then goes with different subs in the second half. I mean, his rotations and minute distribution are hands down the most inconsistent I've seen since I've been a hoops fan. Speights, for example, only played 12 minutes last night.

Also, I love how his substitution pattern is often based off his 'gut feeling.' Does he realize that at 10-24 his gut feeling hasn't exactly paid dividends? Was going with our tiniest back court possible against much taller guards his gut feeling? They shot over our guards all night and when Thad rotated (which seemed to be every other play) they found a wide open Jamison every time. Jordan had plenty of opportunities to sub in some taller guards (Holiday/Carney) to cover Butler/Young/Arenas, but his gut feeling told him to stick with the lineup that turned an 18 point lead into a 7 point loss. Brand also sat for most of the 4th while we desperately needed some interior defense/toughness. It's really difficult to believe in this team while Jordan is here.

Here is what this genius doesn't know:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rotation
Main Entry: ro·ta·tion
Pronunciation: \rō-ˈtā-shən\
Function: noun
Date: 1555

1 a (1) : the action or process of rotating on or as if on an axis or center (2) : the act or an instance of rotating something b : one complete turn : the angular displacement required to return a rotating body or figure to its original orientation
2 a : return or succession in a series <rotation of the seasons> b : crop rotation
3 : the turning of a body part about its long axis as if on a pivot
4 : a game of pool in which all 15 object balls are shot in numerical order
5 : the series of pitchers on a baseball team who regularly start successive games in turn

— ro·ta·tion·al \-shnəl, -shə-nəl\ adjective

Rotation is a systematic regular process that implies some sort of order. By definition, having random stuff appear and disappear does not equal "rotation". That's called chaos.

The thing I really don't get is that he's an ex-NBA player and a bit player at that. He has to know what it means for bench guys to be able to have a routine in order to maximize their performance. This isn't like Lawrence Frank, who never played basketball above college(maybe HS?). Jordan should know better, from personal experience alone.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#2810 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Thu Jan 7, 2010 5:22 am

Here's a rotation Eddie Jordan might want to follow

First Team:
C:Samuel Dalembert
PF:Elton Brand
SF:Thaddeus Young
SG:Andre Iguodala
PG:Jrue Holiday

Second Team:
C:M-16
PF:Jason Smith
SF:Rodney Carney
SG:Lou Williams
PG:Allen Iverson

Third Team:
PF:M-16
SF:Andre Iguodala

Edit: This rotation is far from perfect, I realize Jason Kapono is not in the rotation, there's also the issue of Brand being purely on the First team. But it's a relative upgrade over what we've seen, no?
agiaco
Analyst
And1: 1,126

Post#2811 » by agiaco » Thu Jan 7, 2010 7:53 am

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Here's a rotation Eddie Jordan might want to follow

First Team:
PF:Elton Brand
SF:Thaddeus Young
SG:Andre Iguodala

Second Team:
C:M-16
PF:Jason Smith
SF:Rodney Carney
PG:Allen Iverson

Third Team:
PF:M-16
SF:Andre Iguodala

Edit: This rotation is far from perfect, I realize Jason Kapono is not in the rotation, there's also the issue of Brand being purely on the First team. But it's a relative upgrade over what we've seen, no?

i don't think team two could even get one defensive stop, maybe carney
Wilfried
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,921

Post#2812 » by Wilfried » Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:10 am

For me:

Dalembert
Brand
Iguodala
Iverson (to be true, he plays very team-orientated and we need him as a leader)
JRue (Lou Will and Iverson together is too bad defensive)

Bench
M16
Lou Will
Thad Young
Carney

as our primary benchplayers

I'm really into trading Thad Young because he's the odd man in this team. He's a tweener, doesn't play defense and he has value at this point. Try to do a package off Young and Kapono!
BobbyJones
Senior
And1: 0

Post#2813 » by BobbyJones » Thu Jan 7, 2010 10:58 am

Hey Tom, you are probably not a regular visitor to Kate Fagan's blog page, but she has a video of an interview with Eddie Jordan. Unless I am much mistaken, you are next to EJ, scribbling furiously on a steno pad, and in and out of the picture most of the time. Is the Intelligencer so cheap that you have to rely on a pad and pencil to do your job (everyone else is shoving a tape recorder in Eddie's face), or do you actually prefer to work that way? How good is your short-hand?
Don
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#2814 » by Don » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:34 pm

He probably shouldn't answer that question about the Intelligencer.
dbodner
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 536

Post#2815 » by dbodner » Thu Jan 7, 2010 12:44 pm

the fact that he's writing on a pad doesn't mean he's recording what Jordan's saying that way. he could just be making notes or jotting down follow-up questions, recording the time on the tape that's he wants to go back to to use in a column, or a number of things.

but I have seen some guys who just prefer a pad and pencil too.

I usually end up taking both just in case. I record everything, but I do have a pad and pen with me in my pocket for notes.
twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA :: Senior writer, The Athletic Philadelphia
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2816 » by tmoore » Thu Jan 7, 2010 1:55 pm

BobbyJones wrote:Hey Tom, you are probably not a regular visitor to Kate Fagan's blog page, but she has a video of an interview with Eddie Jordan. Unless I am much mistaken, you are next to EJ, scribbling furiously on a steno pad, and in and out of the picture most of the time. Is the Intelligencer so cheap that you have to rely on a pad and pencil to do your job (everyone else is shoving a tape recorder in Eddie's face), or do you actually prefer to work that way? How good is your short-hand?

Yes, that is me. I take notes because there are times the recorder doesn't work. It's only a backup. I always transcribe from the recorder. My hand-writing is awful -- I've been known to help other people decipher words they wrote and can't read -- but it's there in a pinch.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2817 » by tmoore » Thu Jan 7, 2010 2:26 pm

Some defensive numbers:

After 34 games this season, the Sixers are ranked:

19th in points allowed (101.85);

28th in opponents' field goal percentage (47.9);

last in opponents' 3-point percentage (41.9 percent). The 41.9 percent would be the worst single-season total in league history if it holds up (eclipsing the Kings' 40.6 percent last year) and is 4.6 percent worse than the next team (the Nets, 37.3 percent) in 2009-10.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2818 » by tmoore » Thu Jan 7, 2010 2:27 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#2819 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Thu Jan 7, 2010 2:37 pm

Whose worse then us at FG Percentage defense?
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#2820 » by tmoore » Thu Jan 7, 2010 2:48 pm

Grizzlies and Warriors.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers