ImageImageImage

Tom Moore 3.0

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, sixers hoops, Sixerscan, Foshan

tmoore
Head Coach
And1: 109

Re: Tom Moore 3.0 

Post#301 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:42 pm

Interesting way to end practice. Jordan wanted players to make three free throws in a row. Brand missed the first -- with everybody else waving their arms under the bucket -- so the entire team had to run the length of the court and back. Iguodala missed short and they all ran again. Then Green, Kapono and Thad Young each made their foul shots to close out the three-hour morning session.

They'll scrimmage tonight -- scheduled to go from 6-8 p.m.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#302 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:46 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Tom, how Louie look from what you seen?

Williams looked OK. They did some 4-on-4 full-court scrimmaging when we were allowed to watch, but didn't have starters together or anything. Lou hit a nice fadeaway baseline jumper in the half-court offense, but also was displeased when he committed a turnover.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,979

Post#303 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:51 pm

Tom, would you say any one or two players stood out or surprised today?
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#304 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:52 pm

Elton Brand on who the Princeton offense is tougher on, older guys or young guys) "I think it’s tougher on guys that’ve been around because we’ve had success at what we’ve done in the past. You’re thinking, ‘OK, I’m going to my spot.’ Coach is like, ‘No you’re not – you’re going to my spot. Get out of here, keep it moving and get your spacing together.’ "
sweetlou23
Bench Warmer
And1: 55

Post#305 » by sweetlou23 » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:56 pm

9th Wonder wrote:
sweetlou23 wrote:Part of the problem with Sam is that he was frozen out of the game on the offensive end by Miller. Sam had very little to do with the offense last year and I think that his play on the defensive end was affected by his lack of touches on the offensive end.

I'm of the opinion that a player is not simply entitled to participate in the offense because he is on the floor. If Sam has little to contribute on the offensive end, he shouldn't be getting the ball.

BobbyJones wrote:From what I have heard, Sam likes to warm up for games by sitting on the bench, trying to make baskets. He thinks it is funny to shoot trick shots, when he should be getting on his game face, and warming up his muscles. As long as this is his approach to the game, with a "Horse" mentality to shooting, is it any wonder he does not get involved in the offense.

Sam's problem is that he is a walking contradiction. One minute he is saying that defense and rebounding is his schtick, next minute he is complaining about his lack of touches on O. If only he could see that he really is just in there for D and boards, he would find that the rest would come in time. Unfortunately, he'd prefer to shoot free throws between his legs to try and make people laugh.

Exactly. You can't complain about your lack of a role and then go screw around in warm-ups and go scuba diving in the summer.

I think that the issues with Sam are not that simple. Obviously, he needs to do his part and most of the blame for his play has to rest on his shoulders. However, there is nothing wrong with acknowledging that part of the problem with Sam stems from situations that he could not control. The reality is that he has something to contribute on the offensive end and that the lack of an offensive system, the emphasis on on one play and the prior point guard's indifference towards him did not help his situation. As far as scuba diving goes, that has nothing to do with his previous performance and it is my understanding that he did work out with the team this summer. I'm not a big sam fan, I'm just calling it how I see it.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#306 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:27 pm

Brand (thinking about getting through season after two major injuries last two years): "That’s how the mind works. It’s human nature to think, ‘Ah, I don’t want to get hurt again,’ but I try to block that out. It happens. I admit, it’s in the back of my head – I don’t want to get hurt again. Absolutely. And I won’t."
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#307 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:39 pm

sweetlou23 wrote:
9th Wonder wrote:
sweetlou23 wrote:Part of the problem with Sam is that he was frozen out of the game on the offensive end by Miller. Sam had very little to do with the offense last year and I think that his play on the defensive end was affected by his lack of touches on the offensive end.

I'm of the opinion that a player is not simply entitled to participate in the offense because he is on the floor. If Sam has little to contribute on the offensive end, he shouldn't be getting the ball.

BobbyJones wrote:From what I have heard, Sam likes to warm up for games by sitting on the bench, trying to make baskets. He thinks it is funny to shoot trick shots, when he should be getting on his game face, and warming up his muscles. As long as this is his approach to the game, with a "Horse" mentality to shooting, is it any wonder he does not get involved in the offense.

Sam's problem is that he is a walking contradiction. One minute he is saying that defense and rebounding is his schtick, next minute he is complaining about his lack of touches on O. If only he could see that he really is just in there for D and boards, he would find that the rest would come in time. Unfortunately, he'd prefer to shoot free throws between his legs to try and make people laugh.

Exactly. You can't complain about your lack of a role and then go screw around in warm-ups and go scuba diving in the summer.
The reality is that he has something to contribute on the offensive end

I'm not sure where you are getting this from. He's athletic and he can hit a wide open mid range shot, but more often than not he's still our most inferior offensive player on the floor. Sam is good for garbage points and finishing around the rim, but his offense isn't at a level where you can take shots away from Young, Iguodala, Brand, Lou, Kapono, Speights, etc., and it certainly doesn't warrant all of his complaining throughout the season.
dond
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#308 » by dond » Tue Sep 29, 2009 8:00 pm

The Dalembert situation is very simple in my opinion. He is unhappy because he does not (or did not) get to play as much as he thought he should and/or in situations where the game was on the line. He says his numbers are not what they should be because he was not asked to do more.

I say ... bull ....

He wants to get playing time based on his good intentions. That is not how basketball works.
If you produce results then you get to play more. If you screw up, you do not ... simple.

The fact that he was on the bench when other less talented players played at crunch time speaks volumes about the frustration level of the coaching staffs during the past few years. He simply was not to be trusted and he failed to produce results which warranted him playing more.

And, as far as him being ignored by Andre Miller ... maybe so ... maybe not ...
However, if he was ... it was for the same reason the coaches ignored him. Miller was trying to win games and throwing the ball to Dalembert was not a good bet to help that effort. If Andre Miller had been giving the ball to Dalembert with the probable screw-up, that would be a mistake by Miller. Thankfully, he knew better.

What Sam needs to do is the same thing any player needs to do. Just shut up and play. Show the coaches what you can do and if they like what they see, you will play more.
If you cannot convince others that you are right, you probably aren't.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#309 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:33 pm

Jordan is counting on Brand, a 10-year vet, to provide leadership for the young Sixers. In a vote among current players, Brand received the most votes, followed by Andre Iguodala and Willie Green.

“We did a little exercise, a sort of quiz, about who’s going to our leaders and Elton came through with flying colors,” Jordan said.
76ers76ers
Rookie
And1: 33

Post#310 » by 76ers76ers » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:00 pm

tmoore wrote:Jordan is counting on Brand, a 10-year vet, to provide leadership for the young Sixers. In a vote among current players, Brand received the most votes, followed by Andre Iguodala and Willie Green.

“We did a little exercise, a sort of quiz, about who’s going to our leaders and Elton came through with flying colors,” Jordan said.

That would be funny if they picked Willie Green.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#311 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:15 pm

So Elton Brand's the Captain and Iguodala's the Co-Captain?

I kind of disagree, Iggy's been there from the start of the rebuilding process.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#312 » by ankle420breaker » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:17 pm

Thank god training NBA basketball is starting again.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#313 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:42 pm

In the hour-long evening session, which focused on offense, Williams, Iguodala, Young, Brand and Dalembert ran with the first group and Willie Green, Rodney Carney, Jason Kapono, Marreese Speights and Jason Smith were on the second unit. Rookie first-round pick Jrue Holiday headed up the third group. Thought that was interesting.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#314 » by tmoore » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:47 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:So Elton Brand's the Captain and Iguodala's the Co-Captain?

I kind of disagree, Iggy's been there from the start of the rebuilding process.

Nothing official -- just a "quiz" on the subject. No captains named or anything.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#315 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:16 am

Yeah... first day of camp... I doubt Holiday stays on that 3rd team. I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Carney switch places at some point.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#316 » by tmoore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 12:53 am

ankle420breaker wrote:Yeah... first day of camp... I doubt Holiday stays on that 3rd team. I wouldn't be surprised to see him and Carney switch places at some point.

Would be my guess, too. A lot of times, coaches like to give the veterans the early nod, then let the best player earn the job. I will say that neither Holiday nor Christmas stood out from what I saw today.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#317 » by tmoore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:12 am

Had heard that Jordan was thinking about Green possibly playing some point. Looks like Green will be used at least some there.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#318 » by tmoore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 1:28 am

Think the Sixers could see a lot of teams full-court press them, since they don't have a true point guard and a lot of young guys handling the ball.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#319 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 2:55 am

Full-Court presses are VERY, VERY hard to pull off. They require perfect timing, communication and of course the speed to keep up with the opposing team.

The Sixers already want to get out on the break, so if there's a breakdown or a gap in the press, there's an easy lay-up right there. Doesn't hurt the Sixers, as they said running the floor was option #1.

Will Lou/Jrue/God-forbid Green be pressured alot this season? Yes and there will be some turnovers as a consequence. But remember this: Andre Miller averages 3.0 turnovers per game.

If they work it right, we'll be right around that number this season.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#320 » by corwin » Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:04 am

tmoore wrote:Had heard that Jordan was thinking about Green possibly playing some point. Looks like Green will be used at least some there.

So it's the nine lives of Willie Green. This is actually not coming as a surprise to me. Just think, time at the PG & consideration in a team poll for team captain. Can a contract extension be far behind?

Return to Philadelphia 76ers