ImageImageImage

Tom Moore 3.0

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Sixerscan, Foshan, sixers hoops

tmoore
Head Coach
And1: 109

Re: Tom Moore 3.0 

Post#346 » by tmoore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:58 pm

Eddie Jordan on bringing Holiday along slowly: "He’s got to earn his way. As much as I like him, Royal is very, very good right now. Willie is good, Andre is good, Lou is good, Sean Singletary is really good. So there’s a pecking order he’s got to get through."
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#347 » by tmoore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:59 pm

Jordan on Willie Green: "First of all, his teammates look at him as a leader. That’s very big in my book. He leads by example and verbally. He’s going to be there. He’s one of the top three guards (we have)."
PhilasFinest
RealGM
And1: 3,581

Post#348 » by PhilasFinest » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:06 pm

hopefully Willie Green can play the deshawn stevenson role in the princeton...
i think in the 1st 2 years of the princeton, his numbers improved.

Also im pulling for Singletary. say wat you want about his size, but he can get his shot off, has 3 point range and can get hot. with the lack of PG depth on this team (and i dont consider ivey a PG)
i wouldnt mind seeing him sitting on the bench.
SparksFly87 wrote:Towns got boat feet and gets off the ground very slow with a lack of explosiveness . He is a rich mans Henry Sims to me. No thanks .
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#349 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:07 pm

If Ivey improved from last year, that'll amaze me more then anything. Royal Ivey in ANY role other then last year's role(Spot-up shooter, occasional defender) will be very very funny.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,957

Post#350 » by ankle420breaker » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:16 pm

tmoore wrote:Eddie Jordan on bringing Holiday along slowly: "He’s got to earn his way. As much as I like him, Royal is very, very good right now. Willie is good, Andre is good, Lou is good, Sean Singletary is really good. So there’s a pecking order he’s got to get through."

Exactly what I was afraid of... Ivey is not very, very good. That said, I do understand the coach wanting the rookie to 'earn his way.' I just don't want to see Ivey getting the nod over Holiday during the regular season.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#351 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:22 pm

Royal Ivey: Like Willie Green, you can say "He doesn't turnover the ball" like Willie Green can "create his own shot".

But like creating his own shot, that's only half the battle won. You have to make the shot, just as Ivey would need to be a playmaker.

Ivey has NO handles whatsoever, other then the basics. He can't create a shot for himself, let alone others.

Royal Ivey is like Josh McCown of the NBA lol.

The same with Brezec. He can hit the 15 footer, but that's about it. Sam, Brand, M-16, Jason Smith can all do that. And bring shotblocking ability to the table.

Would either one of Ivey or Brezec get an offer anywhere else? The fact that they're here answers that.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#352 » by tmoore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:47 pm

Brezec is limited. He's the emergency big man.

Ivey could get spot minutes, but probably won't be in the regular rotation.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#353 » by tmoore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:48 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Would either one of Ivey or Brezec get an offer anywhere else? The fact that they're here answers that.

Perhaps not. But because they got guaranteed money here, they're not going anywhere. Doesn't mean they'll play a lot, but they'll be on the roster.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#354 » by tmoore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:50 pm

Dalembert on being the center in the Princeton offense: "I was just making a joke about it yesterday -- the ball comes to me more times in a whole practice than in the eight years I’ve been here."
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#355 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:21 pm

Lets assume that Bowman, Swift, Jones(and they probably are) camp bodies that won't be added. That leaves what, Christmas and Singletary?

Stefanski talked about wanting to find a back-up 2/3(Carney's a 3)

And let's face it, Holiday already brings what Ivey does to the table. We're lacking that scoring guard off the bench. Singletary can play that role.

Eddie likes both of those guys(Singletary/Christmas)

As we note, there's only really 1 roster spot open right now. So let's face this:

Someone's cutting cut.

If it's not Ivey, it's Brezec.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#356 » by tmoore » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:24 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:Lets assume that Bowman, Swift, Jones(and they probably are) camp bodies that won't be added. That leaves what, Christmas and Singletary?

Stefanski talked about wanting to find a back-up 2/3(Carney's a 3)

And let's face it, Holiday already brings what Ivey does to the table. We're lacking that scoring guard off the bench. Singletary can play that role.

Eddie likes both of those guys(Singletary/Christmas)

As we note, there's only really 1 roster spot open right now. So let's face this:

Someone's cutting cut.

If it's not Ivey, it's Brezec.

You can try to keep convincing yourself if you want, but it's not going to happen. And Carney is the backup shooting guard, with Kapono as the backup 3. I think if all things were equal, Singletary could make the team because he can handle the ball. But with guaranteed contracts for Ivey and Brezec, there isn't equality.
still in payne
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#357 » by still in payne » Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:27 pm

Let's appreciate what we have. Billy King would have signed Ivey to a 6 year 22 million dollar contract, then bashed him in the press, thus ruining his market value (if any). It's refreshing to see a coach being positive about his players, especially this early in his first camp with the team. If Jordan can get Ivey and Green to play hard and buy into the system - terrific. It's not like we have many other options in the backcourt.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#358 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Oct 1, 2009 12:11 am

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/landing_ ... feedID=704

kind of interesting...

“I have 10 guys right now that I have been using on two teams for most parts of the offense and defense [drills],” Jordan said. “There’s a 10[-man rotation] already in my mind.”

Those ten guys right now appear to be Lou, Iguodala, Thad, Brand, Sam, Green, Carney, Kapono, Smith, and Speights. Holiday will have to break through at some point... it will probably be at Green and Carney's expense.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#359 » by sixerswillrule » Thu Oct 1, 2009 12:31 am

No Holiday to start out? Really? I was expecting to see some Green or Ivey at PG, but I figured Jrue would be playing at least 10 mpg.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#360 » by tmoore » Thu Oct 1, 2009 1:17 am

sixerswillrule wrote:No Holiday to start out? Really? I was expecting to see some Green or Ivey at PG, but I figured Jrue would be playing at least 10 mpg.

Still possible it'll happen. Just depends on how well he plays.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#361 » by ankle420breaker » Thu Oct 1, 2009 1:47 am

Its day 2 of training camp so I'm not going to rush my judgment. I just worry about seeing Ivey in the rotation and Jrue on the outside looking in during the regular season. I also don't like the idea of Willie Green at point guard over Jrue Holiday... I can understand Green in the rotation over Jrue, but not at point guard... that's just silly.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#362 » by tk76 » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:12 am

tmoore wrote:Jordan on Willie Green: "First of all, his teammates look at him as a leader. That’s very big in my book. He leads by example and verbally. He’s going to be there. He’s one of the top three guards (we have)."

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :vent: :dontknow: :dontknow: :dontknow: :waaa:
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,878

Post#363 » by bebopdeluxe » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:31 am

tk:

While I want Holiday to move into the rotation as quickly as possible, I think that Jordan is simply being realistic when he says that Green is one of the top three guards on the team. He is. And as I have said in the past, I don't hold that against Willie - it's not his fault that BK gave him that ridiculous contract. It's not WIllie's fault that he has started a lot of games over the past two seasons.

Is it?

When (hopefiully not if) Holiday moves ahead of Green in the rotation, that would make WIllie the 4th guard, which looks about right to me - and I am fine with Green in that role.

Aren't you?
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,592

Post#364 » by sixerswillrule » Thu Oct 1, 2009 3:37 am

ankle420breaker wrote: I also don't like the idea of Willie Green at point guard over Jrue Holiday... I can understand Green in the rotation over Jrue, but not at point guard... that's just silly.

Where else would Green be in the rotation over Jrue at? We'll have Iguodala playing most of his 38-40 minutes per game at SG, so there's not many minutes to be had there.
9th Wonder
Assistant Coach
And1: 167

Post#365 » by 9th Wonder » Thu Oct 1, 2009 4:49 am

Green is easily one of the top three guards on this team. That's just a fact.

If we take only last year into account, he's actually our best guard (since Iguodala was a 3, Miller is gone, and Green outplayed Lou).

Return to Philadelphia 76ers