ImageImageImage

Tom Moore 3.0

Moderators: HartfordWhalers, BullyKing, Foshan, sixers hoops, Sixerscan

tmoore
Head Coach
And1: 109

Re: Tom Moore 3.0 

Post#81 » by tmoore » Sat Sep 19, 2009 2:34 pm

Carney might have a chance for more than spot minutes, depending on how things go. Didn't seem like he and Cheeks were too fond of each other. Perhaps a new coach will make a difference.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#82 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:20 pm

Tmoore: With Cheeks: If you can't isolate, your not a good player. Which is why it was surprising he started Reggie Evans over Jason Smith. Smith brought defense, rebounding and something of a "threat" on offense.

Cheeks is overly fond with 2 strategies: Small-Ball and Iso-ball. Both are the reasons we lost more games then we won them first 2 seasons he was here.

Love Cheeks as a person, hated him as a coach. It's sad because you remember what he did as a player here, and you wished he was as good as a coach as he was a player.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#83 » by tmoore » Sat Sep 19, 2009 6:27 pm

Not sure why Dionte Christmas or Sean Singletary would come to veterans camp with the Sixers. They have 13 guaranteed contracts and will probably carry 13 players, unless one of them totally blows the Sixers away at camp and the preseason.
Don
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#84 » by Don » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:48 pm

Perhaps nobody else wants them and this is a last shot before the preseason starts.
corwin
Lead Assistant
And1: 13

Post#85 » by corwin » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:23 pm

tmoore wrote:Not sure why Dionte Christmas or Sean Singletary would come to veterans camp with the Sixers. They have 13 guaranteed contracts and will probably carry 13 players, unless one of them totally blows the Sixers away at camp and the preseason.

Usually they invite local guys to the summer league. Maybe since they didn't really have a summer league team, this is a bone to the fans who have followed them all summer, wanted them to buy a second round draft pick, & would like to see another guard or two tried out. I wish they would have brought the former Penn player, Ibrahim Jaaber in for a look instead of Singletary though.
tk76
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 734

Post#86 » by tk76 » Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:34 am

PG and SG lack depth. If there is an injury at that position I think the Sixers would add a player.
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#87 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:01 am

Lou / Holiday / Ivey
Iguodala / Green / Carney / Ivey
Young / Kapono / Carney / Iguodala
Brand / Speights / Young / Smith
Dalembert / Smith / Brezec / Brand

We're okay at SG. A vet PG is what we need.
76ersAreMe
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#88 » by 76ersAreMe » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:08 am

sixerswillrule wrote:We're okay at SG. A vet PG is what we need.

I know this seems idiotic but I think, basing on the latest interviews I have seen with Ed, Ivey is labeled our veteran point so I don't seeing them bringing in, from their point of view another veteran point.

Dionte could be a nice pickup.....
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#89 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Sun Sep 20, 2009 8:33 am

sixerswillrule wrote:Lou / Holiday / Ivey
Iguodala / Green / Carney / Ivey
Young / Kapono / Carney / Iguodala
Brand / Speights / Young / Smith
Dalembert / Smith / Brezec / Brand

We're okay at SG. A vet PG is what we need.

Ivey cannot play SG. Neither can Carney. Carney is a SF.

Infact, Ivey can't do CRAP.(okay, defend).

I hope Sean Singletary shows some good stuff. We need a scorer-type off the bench with Lou as a starter. I think people forgot that. If Singletary is for real, we could get such a type for virtually free.

Brezec and Ivey weren't worth signing, Singletary can beat out these scrubs.
SixersfutureGM
Senior
And1: 45

Post#90 » by SixersfutureGM » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:08 pm

ivey played with lou a lot last year, who was the "PG" and who was the "SG" was irrelevant. Also whether carney can play SG or not is also irrlevent because he will play some minutes there bc SF position with kapono/thad/iggy is locked down for sure.
Darain wrote:Dude is like 6-10, 6-12 at the most

But he is definitely not 7 foot

Darain wrote:Prime Wilt wouldn't be anymore than Kwame Brown in today's NBA

Idunno who you are Mister Darain but you are a signature gold mine.. keep them coming!
sixerswillrule
RealGM
And1: 3,596

Post#91 » by sixerswillrule » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:33 pm

ivey played with lou a lot last year, who was the "PG" and who was the "SG" was irrelevant. Also whether carney can play SG or not is also irrlevent because he will play some minutes there bc SF position with kapono/thad/iggy is locked down for sure.

Exactly. If you want a SG better than Green, Carney, and Ivey, that's a different story. That's not gonna happen.
tmoore
Head Coach

Post#92 » by tmoore » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:32 pm

sixerswillrule wrote:Brezec and Ivey weren't worth signing, Singletary can beat out these scrubs.

But with Brezec and Ivey getting guaranteed contracts, they're almost surely going to make the team. If the Sixers carry 13, Singletary and Christmas won't make it. There's only an outside chance they'll go with 14.
ankle420breaker
General Manager
And1: 1,984

Post#93 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:41 pm

That's exactly why Brezec and Ivey shouldn't have been signed. I don't mind the Brezec signing as much, but the Ivey signing really bewilders me. We just drafted a tall defensive minded point guard. I honestly don't see the need to have two of those on our bench. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, I don't think Singletary will ever really make it in the NBA outside of some random scrub years here and there, but it certainly wouldn't surprise me if he could produce more than 3ppg and .6 apg if he got 12 minutes of play, which is all that Ivey managed for us last year.

We would have been much better served filling Ivey's spot with a vet pg (sorely needed given our youth at that position) like Arroyo or Brevin Knight who both could have been had for the minimum. If that didn't work out, then we should have taken a flyer on another young guy who still has enough time on his side to prove that he can become something more than a perennial 12th man (Ivey), like Mike Taylor, Luther Head, or maybe even Singletary. I really just don't see a clear role for Ivey next year.

As for Brezec, he's a decent 3rd big off the bench, but like Ivey, his skill set is kind of redundant on our bench. We already have two big guys in Speights and Smith who can shoot the ball... we could probably use a more defensive minded big guy to come in in certain situations. Oh well, whats done is done.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#94 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:11 pm

What's done is not done. Your assuming scrubs like Brezec and Ivey will keep their spots. Ivey is redundant. A 3rd level roleplayer at best. Same with Brezec. Now, undrafted free agents are undrafted for a number of reasons.

One of them is a lack of competition. Many people may be led to believe that Dionte Christmas wouldn't be who he is in any other conference. I disagree. He has the body and the skills to round out as a potential 2 guard starter, maybe even more. Let's see how he pans out a few yrs from now.

Another case(As is Singletary's) is that there may be a major weakness in his game preventing his assets(scoring) from shining brightly. Those were turnovers. It seems he worked on them in the summer league with the Pistons. If Singletary can run the Princeton Offense and keep his turnovers low. He'll be quite the find for us. Alot better then a scrub named Royal Ivey.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM
And1: 3,893

Post#95 » by bebopdeluxe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Anybody who watched this team last season knows that our defense sucked azz...and adding somebody like Singletary (who hasn't proved JACK in the big-boys league yet) isn't going to help.

I'm not the biggest Royal Ivey fan, mind you...would be much happier having a legit backup PG like Knight or Lue on the roster than Ivey...but at least Ivey has a shot of defending his position, as opposed to a smurf like Singletary.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#96 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:09 pm

Dedicated_76ers_fan wrote:What's done is not done. Your assuming scrubs like Brezec and Ivey will keep their spots. Ivey is redundant. A 3rd level roleplayer at best. Same with Brezec. Now, undrafted free agents are undrafted for a number of reasons.

Their contracts are guaranteed. They won't get cut.
ankle420breaker
General Manager

Post#97 » by ankle420breaker » Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:32 pm

bebopdeluxe wrote:
I'm not the biggest Royal Ivey fan, mind you...would be much happier having a legit backup PG like Knight or Lue on the roster than Ivey...but at least Ivey has a shot of defending his position, as opposed to a smurf like Singletary.

True, Bebop. Ivey is world's better on that side of the ball, but since we aren't contending for a championship this year and since Ivey probably won't be in our long term plans, I'd rather Jrue get as much experience as possible next year instead of watching Ivey lock down 2nd unit guards.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#98 » by bebopdeluxe » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:44 pm

ankle:

Agree 100%...I just don't get all of this man-love for an NBDL smurf like Singletary.
Dedicated_76ers_fan
Banned User

Post#99 » by Dedicated_76ers_fan » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:06 pm

The "NBDL" smurf seems to have improved from last year and can potentially fill the gap Lou Williams left behind. What's wrong with that?

What's this about defense? I mean, we weren't complaining too heavily in regards to Miller(last time I'll mention his name). Singletary can possibly bring something to the table we need.

Ivey brings NOTHING. AT ALL. Zip.

He can't bring the ball up. He can't isolate(because his handles are worse then Carneys). Hell, WE can bring a Royal Ivey contribution to the table.

Similarly, Brezec is a terrible defender. And provides what Jason Smith and M-16 already do.

Christmas is a SG/SF that's cheap and could possibly beat Green out of the rotation.

I see uses for Singletary and Christmas. Name 1 use for Brezec, Ivey.
bebopdeluxe
RealGM

Post#100 » by bebopdeluxe » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:53 am

You are smoking crack if you think that Christmas can beat Green out of the rotation.

I don't even know why I respond to your posts. I really don't.

Willie Green is overpaid. Willie Green is not a starting SG on a good team. But Willie Green has NBA-level talent. He has played in the NBA for years. This is actually the wrong offseason to rip Green, who - statistically, at least - had one of his better years in '08-09.

You talk about Christmad and Singletary like you are an NBA GM or advance scout. What is the basis for these declarative statements that you throw out there? Huh? People who judge NBA talent FOR A LIVING have determined - by their actions - that Dionte Christmas and Sean Singletary are not worthy of a guaranteed NBA contract. Willie Green and Royal Ivey have played in the NBA for years. Both have guaranteed contracts for the 2009-10 season - based on decisions made by people whose job it is to determine NBA talent...and that carries WAY more weight that the ramblings and protestations of some yabo with ZERO experience on an NBA forum.

Can you - for once in your freaking life - back up the assertions that you are making about Dionte Christmas and Sean Singletary (that Singletary is more valuable than Ivey and Christmas has the PROVEN NBA TALENT to beat out a guy like WIllie Green) with critical analysis, facts and statistics...as opposed to the wild ramblings and opinions that are a dime-a-dozen on an internet forum like this?

Thanks.

Return to Philadelphia 76ers