Who is the best player in the world right now?

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

TheHartBreakKid
General Manager
And1: 4,335

Re: Who is the best player in the world right now? 

Post#21 » by TheHartBreakKid » Fri Dec 16, 2022 10:52 am

HIF wrote:As much as this topic annoys me, it's been interesting/sickening to hear the media, commentators and some fans fawn about Messi, Neymar, Mbappe and Ronaldo (okay they haven't fawned about him but they've talked about him a lot). None of those players have been in the best 10 (or 20) players of the tournament.

I'd have to say that goalkeepers and defenders have been significantly better than attacking players and it has made me realise that if you really want to think about the BEST FOOTBALL player then it should be a player who can perform to the best overall standard in whichever position you play them.

This being predominantly a basketball site I make the case of Lebron (whom I dislike) possibly being the greatest of all time because he is able to play all 5 positions and be a top 5 player in the league (even at Centre during his prime years).

If we use this idea in football then you can forget Messi who couldn't play any of the defensive positions and you would end up looking at a modern day CB or goalkeeper. It'd probably be someone like Ederson who with his ball skills, speed and size could probably play any position on the field in a top league.

It seems "goat" in football is always related to being exceptional in an attacking sense whether that person has any defensive ability at all.

It's two different sports lol.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#22 » by HIF » Fri Dec 16, 2022 12:23 pm

TheHartBreakKid wrote:
HIF wrote:As much as this topic annoys me, it's been interesting/sickening to hear the media, commentators and some fans fawn about Messi, Neymar, Mbappe and Ronaldo (okay they haven't fawned about him but they've talked about him a lot). None of those players have been in the best 10 (or 20) players of the tournament.

I'd have to say that goalkeepers and defenders have been significantly better than attacking players and it has made me realise that if you really want to think about the BEST FOOTBALL player then it should be a player who can perform to the best overall standard in whichever position you play them.

This being predominantly a basketball site I make the case of Lebron (whom I dislike) possibly being the greatest of all time because he is able to play all 5 positions and be a top 5 player in the league (even at Centre during his prime years).

If we use this idea in football then you can forget Messi who couldn't play any of the defensive positions and you would end up looking at a modern day CB or goalkeeper. It'd probably be someone like Ederson who with his ball skills, speed and size could probably play any position on the field in a top league.

It seems "goat" in football is always related to being exceptional in an attacking sense whether that person has any defensive ability at all.

It's two different sports lol.

Very observant.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
KG Leonard
Senior
And1: 414

Post#23 » by KG Leonard » Wed Dec 21, 2022 7:23 pm

Foye wrote:I don’t think there is any best player at the moment.

There was a time when Messi and Ronaldo where heads and shoulders above everyone else but that time has passed for a couple years now.

Now there is a bunch of players who are world class and have about the same quality but nobody who is truely a proven best player of the world.

This is what i think too, there isnt a prime Messi who is above everyone, Ronaldo chasing him while being ATG offensive player. The other great players today is way too consistent to be like Messi or Ronaldinho in his shorter peak or when Zidane was on top. Mbappe can disappear on several CL seasons. I dont care if he scores 15 goals in WC if he doesnt win against the best club teams. Neymar is miles off from his Barcelona peak.

I would say KDB is more closer to the best player, Messi if he is still at the same level as in WC. There might be a clear top 10-15 but not top 3-5.
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Post#24 » by Bobbcats » Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:22 pm

Mbappe can disappear on several CL seasons

Hard disagree here, Mbappe has to be one of the most consistent CL players, seems to score just as much vs. the big teams in the knockout stages as the minnows in group stage, unlike Neymar.
KG Leonard
Senior
And1: 414

Post#25 » by KG Leonard » Thu Dec 22, 2022 1:32 am

Bobbcats wrote:

Hard disagree here, Mbappe has to be one of the most consistent CL players, seems to score just as much vs. the big teams in the knockout stages as the minnows in group stage, unlike Neymar.

Before his important goals vs Real Madrid in knockout stages, he had many other games the last 3-4 years where he was invisble like the 70 minutes vs Argentina. He has good CL goal record but for a player of his level he should carry PSG past City,Real,Bayern etc in the important games like CL final. WC wise he is being compared to Pele,oroginal Ronaldo,Messi etcand there hasnt been a CL season where he was the best player like Lewandwoski 2020. His CL history is so far like destroying minnows. With his talent he should already be the clear best player in the world by now but he isnt seen like that.
Bobbcats
Assistant Coach
And1: 477

Post#26 » by Bobbcats » Thu Dec 22, 2022 2:01 am

KG Leonard wrote:
Bobbcats wrote:

Before his important goals vs Real Madrid in knockout stages, he had many other games the last 3-4 years where he was invisble like the 70 minutes vs Argentina. He has good CL goal record but for a player of his level he should carry PSG past City,Real,Bayern etc in the important games like CL final. WC wise he is being compared to Pele,oroginal Ronaldo,Messi etcand there hasnt been a CL season where he was the best player like Lewandwoski 2020. His CL history is so far like destroying minnows. With his talent he should already be the clear best player in the world by now but he isnt seen like that.

Nah Mbappe has been very good in the KO stages since his Monaco days, some years he has not gotten much service though. So far in his time on PSG, Neymar and Verratti are usually spent by the time the knockout stages come around, but he is definitely pulling his weight, I think he is going to destroy CL this year if Messi and Neymar don't take their foot off the gas post-WC.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#27 » by SgtPepper » Wed Dec 28, 2022 10:21 pm

GoalImpact is a player impact ranking algorithm adapted from shapley values using match performance basic stats. There's a lot I disagree with in it's design, but will share a few ideas from them because it can elevate the discussion here.

https://goalimpact.substack.com/p/thomas-muller-the-raum-zeit-deuter
https://goalimpact.substack.com/p/footballs-invisible-heroes
http://www.goalimpact.com/blog//2015/11/top-100-all-time.html
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,488

Post#28 » by Foye » Thu Dec 29, 2022 9:16 pm

KG Leonard wrote:
Foye wrote:I don’t think there is any best player at the moment.

There was a time when Messi and Ronaldo where heads and shoulders above everyone else but that time has passed for a couple years now.

Now there is a bunch of players who are world class and have about the same quality but nobody who is truely a proven best player of the world.

This is what i think too, there isnt a prime Messi who is above everyone, Ronaldo chasing him while being ATG offensive player. The other great players today is way too consistent to be like Messi or Ronaldinho in his shorter peak or when Zidane was on top. Mbappe can disappear on several CL seasons. I dont care if he scores 15 goals in WC if he doesnt win against the best club teams. Neymar is miles off from his Barcelona peak.

I would say KDB is more closer to the best player, Messi if he is still at the same level as in WC. There might be a clear top 10-15 but not top 3-5.

I don’t know why Neymar is continuously discussed among the worlds best players.
He is not even the best Brazilian player. That is Vinicius Jr.
Gregoire
Analyst
And1: 585

Post#29 » by Gregoire » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:06 pm

1. Messi
2. Mbappe
3. Haaland
4. Neymar
Heej wrote:
These no calls on LeBron are crazy. A lot of stars got foul calls to protect them.
falcolombardi wrote:
Come playoffs 18 lebron beats any version of jordan
AEnigma wrote:
Jordan is not as smart a help defender as Kidd
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#30 » by Baphomet » Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:43 am

pedrobrazil1000 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:
pedrobrazil1000 wrote:Vini Jr is top 10 right now. Aproaching top-5.

I really like Vini Jr but I'm not sure if he's quite there yet. He's playing incredibly well though.

42 G/A last season (although im not really the biggest fan of using raw stats as a way to analyse soccer). And this season he´s even better.

Going back to this from a few months ago, I think you were right.

Great player, definitely in the conversation.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#31 » by SgtPepper » Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:04 am

I have mixed feelings because I watched him regularly from his cringeworthy breakout through now. He is currently Madrid's best forward.
Pros:
+technically skillful player (especially dribbling and cutbacks) +very fast +hard worker +unselfish (both in passing and defensive participation) +still growing
Cons:
-Fights with the refs too often -poor shooting & decisionmaking outside the box -not an intuitive combination player (this is mostly hidden at Madrid because of good coaching and bossy teamwork by veteran teammates but shows in Brazil) -mediocre playmaker (related to combination point; he's not keyed into where the mismatches are per play, though that is pretty normal for forwards rather than midfielder)

Return to The General Soccer Board