2023-24 English Premier League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,343

Re: 2023-24 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#881 » by Baseline81 » Fri May 3, 2024 12:42 pm

Baphomet wrote:Ryan Mason and Mile Jedinak are Spurs set piece coordinators, but yeah, he's the one who presumably involved them in his coaching staff in this capacity.

Despite leading Tottenham to their best PL start, it's been a shambles since. Talksport's Jamie O'Hara even called it "Spursy" as to what has happened lately.

Fans will be calling for Ange's head if he begins next season without making changes. His "It's who we are" quote ages poorer and poorer each day.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,479

Post#882 » by Foye » Sat May 4, 2024 1:08 pm

What a joke VAR is in the Premier League, too. Clear goal for Bournemouth not given.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,319

Post#883 » by wco81 » Sat May 4, 2024 5:27 pm

So the PK that Havertz drew seems to be raising some hackles.

Are players required to try to avoid contact on a challenge? He could have hopped over the goalie and maybe still got back to the ball and kick it in goal?

In any event, two more Arsenal goals made that play moot?
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,652

Post#884 » by Baphomet » Sat May 4, 2024 6:09 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Ryan Mason and Mile Jedinak are Spurs set piece coordinators, but yeah, he's the one who presumably involved them in his coaching staff in this capacity.

Despite leading Tottenham to their best PL start, it's been a shambles since. Talksport's Jamie O'Hara even called it "Spursy" as to what has happened lately.

Fans will be calling for Ange's head if he begins next season without making changes. His "It's who we are" quote ages poorer and poorer each day.

He's trying to implement a new style of football having just sold the club's best ever player. There have been ups and downs, which is normal and to be expected. I'm not upset with this season at all, Villa have simply been more consistent than Spurs and deserve a Champions League position. Conceding cheap goals is worrying but that's something they can hopefully iron out going into next season. Most pundits had Spurs finishing 7th-10th without Kane going into this season and while it's a low bar, they look likely to exceed that expectation.

And nobody should ever take anything said on Talksport seriously, least of all Jamie O'Hara. It's bilge.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#885 » by Baseline81 » Sat May 4, 2024 7:05 pm

Baphomet wrote:He's trying to implement a new style of football having just sold the club's best ever player. There have been ups and downs, which is normal and to be expected. I'm not upset with this season at all, Villa have simply been more consistent than Spurs and deserve a Champions League position. Conceding cheap goals is worrying but that's something they can hopefully iron out going into next season. Most pundits had Spurs finishing 7th-10th without Kane going into this season and while it's a low bar, they look likely to exceed that expectation.

And nobody should ever take anything said on Talksport seriously, least of all Jamie O'Hara. It's bilge.

I would argue those downs aren't of equal value. For instance, injuries caused the club to falter earlier in the season. Lately, it's due to the manager's reluctance to adapt.

Given what you said, expecting to finish 7-10 is fair; however, my issue is once you're actually in the thick of things (Tottenham competing for a CL spot with less than 10 matches remaining), expectations change. I would wager the majority of Spurs' fans would agree Ange has not handled the run-in well enough.

As a Liverpool fan, I'm rather pissed at how both Klopp and the players have performed since winning the Carabao Cup. There was no excuse for the Europa League exit (losing 0-3 at Anfield) and the two results against Manchester United (FA Cup and PL).

EDIT: Yes, Talksport is rubbish, however, when a Tottenham fan such as O'Hara blasts his own club, I tend to take note.
AK47MVP
Starter
And1: 1,592

Post#886 » by AK47MVP » Sat May 4, 2024 7:13 pm

Just saw this, not sure if shared here already, but super hilarious:)

MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,370

Post#887 » by MaliBrah » Sat May 4, 2024 7:46 pm

City are just never going to slip up huh...
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#888 » by Baphomet » Sat May 4, 2024 8:26 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:He's trying to implement a new style of football having just sold the club's best ever player. There have been ups and downs, which is normal and to be expected. I'm not upset with this season at all, Villa have simply been more consistent than Spurs and deserve a Champions League position. Conceding cheap goals is worrying but that's something they can hopefully iron out going into next season. Most pundits had Spurs finishing 7th-10th without Kane going into this season and while it's a low bar, they look likely to exceed that expectation.

I would argue those downs aren't of equal value. For instance, injuries caused the club to falter earlier in the season. Lately, it's due to the manager's reluctance to adapt.

Given what you said, expecting to finish 7-10 is fair; however, my issue is once you're actually in the thick of things (Tottenham competing for a CL spot with less than 10 matches remaining), expectations change. I would wager the majority of Spurs' fans would agree Ange has not handled the run-in well enough.

As a Liverpool fan, I'm rather pissed at how both Klopp and the players have performed since winning the Carabao Cup. There was no excuse for the Europa League exit (losing 0-3 at Anfield) and the two results against Manchester United (FA Cup and PL).

EDIT: Yes, Talksport is rubbish, however, when a Tottenham fan such as O'Hara blasts his own club, I tend to take note.

To be clear, I don't think Ange is beyond reproach by any means and has deserved some of the criticism, and the run-in has not been good like you said, Villa result aside. It is frustrating to see the same kinds of goals being conceded week-in week-out and the manager has to accept some responsibility for that. I'd just be cautious about judging him too harshly, all things considered. This is not to say that Ange will go on to become a great or a legend of the club, but I remember Klopp and Arteta facing similar criticisms in their first and second league campaigns and Klopp obviously turned Liverpool into a juggernaut, and Arsenal are now a defensive force to be reckoned with. They just needed time and a few transfer windows to retool the talented but mismatched squads they inherited.

Ultimately I'm trying to be patient about the whole process. With Kane gone, the window for winning has realistically closed, so I'm more interested in improvement next season for the time being, even if it's marginal. There are clear areas of improvement to consider for the next campaign, but I think I've seen some causes for optimism with the quality of football played at times. Even if the season started off far better than it's ending, this season still falls within an acceptable performance threshold for me.

Yeah, it's sad to see Klopp's tenure ending as it currently is. I'm certain you'll find a way to give Spurs one more arse kicking at Anfield for the road, tomorrow, though. Arne Slot seems like an exciting manager, but he has a real job on his hands. Replacing a manager of Klopp's calibre is virtually impossible, but hopefully he will have the time and backing of the fans to get his ideas across.
wco81
RealGM

Post#889 » by wco81 » Sun May 5, 2024 9:05 am

Lot of headlines today about Ipswich Town securing promotion to the PL for the first time in over 20 years.

But Leicester City won the league and will be back to the PL after just one season. How often do relegated clubs get promoted the next season?

https://www.nbcsports.com/soccer/news/promotion-prognosis-which-clubs-will-go-from-championship-to-premier-league-this-season

Leeds, West Brom, Southampton and Norwich City in playoffs for the other promotion spots. All recently relegated, so curious how much of their PL team and payroll they retained in order to try to get promoted again right away.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#890 » by Baphomet » Sun May 5, 2024 4:20 pm

This is like a training game for Liverpool. The players have completely checked out for the season, there's nothing going on in the final third.

And Gakpo should have had a penalty. Just awful.
wco81
RealGM

Post#891 » by wco81 » Sun May 5, 2024 4:36 pm

Baphomet wrote:This is like a training game for Liverpool. The players have completely checked out for the season, there's nothing going on in the final third.

Any chance of the Spurs denying City a fourth consecutive league title seems to be dwindling now.

Not to mention a chance of catching Villa themselves.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#892 » by Baphomet » Sun May 5, 2024 4:37 pm

I mean that sort of sums it up, to start the second half. Bissouma wins the ball high up the pitch and it's a 3 on 2, a good chance to get back into the game, and he just timidly passes the ball back to the defender when Son and Johnson were ready to attack. Salah meanwhile gets an easy chance immediately at the other end.

That simply wouldn't have happened earlier in the season, we were ruthless in attack.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#893 » by Baphomet » Sun May 5, 2024 4:43 pm

wco81 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:This is like a training game for Liverpool. The players have completely checked out for the season, there's nothing going on in the final third.

Any chance of the Spurs denying City a fourth consecutive league title seems to be dwindling now.

Not to mention a chance of catching Villa themselves.

We will struggle against Sheffield United and Burnley on current form, let alone City.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#894 » by Baphomet » Sun May 5, 2024 4:47 pm

Harvey Elliott scoring worldies now. Joke of a performance, but especially Emerson.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#895 » by Baphomet » Sun May 5, 2024 5:00 pm

We scored, we're going to win 4-5
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#896 » by Baphomet » Sun May 5, 2024 5:08 pm

Ange definitely needs to play Richarlison from the start, he's had an impact. Son isn't a striker.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#897 » by Baphomet » Sun May 5, 2024 5:25 pm

Showed some signs of life but much too late, a clownshow defensively. Hopefully Richarlison and Lo Celso's cameos will make Ange consider them for the starting line-up next game.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#898 » by Baseline81 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:11 pm

wco81 wrote:Lot of headlines today about Ipswich Town securing promotion to the PL for the first time in over 20 years.

But Leicester City won the league and will be back to the PL after just one season. How often do relegated clubs get promoted the next season?

https://www.nbcsports.com/soccer/news/promotion-prognosis-which-clubs-will-go-from-championship-to-premier-league-this-season

Leeds, West Brom, Southampton and Norwich City in playoffs for the other promotion spots. All recently relegated, so curious how much of their PL team and payroll they retained in order to try to get promoted again right away.

How many points will Leicester City be deducted to start next year's PL? Or will the Foxes escape punishment for allegedly breaking profit & sustainability rules.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#899 » by Baseline81 » Sun May 5, 2024 6:36 pm

Baphomet,

Why does Tottenham look so knackered? The club didn't even have European football. Is Ange's system too demanding for the players he has?
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#900 » by Baphomet » Sun May 5, 2024 7:13 pm

Baseline81 wrote:Baphomet,

Why does Tottenham look so knackered? The club didn't even have European football. Is Ange's system too demanding for the players he has?

We did play a game a few days ago on Thursday night, but to be honest we looked knackered in that game too.

I can't really give you a definitive answer on that. Logically speaking you'd think it's the system, but many of those players looked this lethargic under Conte, Stellini and Mason too.

Return to The General Soccer Board