2023-24 English Premier League Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Re: 2023-24 English Premier League Discussion Thread 

Post#921 » by Baphomet » Mon May 13, 2024 11:41 pm

It's going to be one of the few games this season that I won't watch. I don't want Arsenal to win the league but I can't root for my own team to lose. Villa deserve the Champions League spot. All we need is a point against Sheffield United on the final day to secure 5th place.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,359

Post#922 » by wco81 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:13 am

I understand the rivalry but City to me are bigger villains and they're going for 4th straight.

The American mindset is to root against that.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,373

Post#923 » by Shaazzam » Tue May 14, 2024 4:02 am

wco81 wrote:I understand the rivalry but City to me are bigger villains and they're going for 4th straight.

The American mindset is to root against that.

If you were a Yankee fan would you want the Bosox to win?
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Pipp33
Rookie
And1: 665

Post#924 » by Pipp33 » Tue May 14, 2024 5:09 am

Baphomet wrote:It's going to be one of the few games this season that I won't watch. I don't want Arsenal to win the league but I can't root for my own team to lose. Villa deserve the Champions League spot. All we need is a point against Sheffield United on the final day to secure 5th place.

Now that it's so close, I want the CL spot, BUT would have happily taken Europa at the start of the season.

Spurs and Villa both deserve 4/5th and I'm sure Spurs get points against SU at a minimum.

I'm going for City, but I can't stand Arteta, so that's my main reason for not wanting Arsenal to win it.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#925 » by LDNMagic90 » Tue May 14, 2024 12:32 pm

Pipp33 wrote:Wow...what a finish to the Villa - Liverpool game.

Happy to scrape a point, but think we deserved more. Looked and sounded like the best atmosphere at the ground all season and they really were the 12th man in those final stages.

Phenomenal effort as we've had around 3 fit senior players on the bench for the last 3 weeks and the rest are academy kids. Players are out on their feet and deserve a lot of praise for their fight. Our Squad depth is not close to Spurs, United, Chelsea, Newcastle

Blew a couple of big chances, but it's still in our hands.

A draw or win at Palace and we are in CL (barring a 9-0 Spurs win over City).....Man City beat Spurs tomorrow and the Palace game doesn't matter

I definitely thought we should’ve won that despite being 3-1 down, I still can’t believe Diego Carlos took a goal away from Watkins and still missed! (I don’t really care that much for xG but his chance was 0.99). I can’t fault the players, when I thought these guys are totally spent we pulled out a result and have shown there’s still a bit of juice left.

I hate that I have to root for City today but it is what it is, I really want us in the champions league I’ve been banging the drum since we entered into the top 4.

I’ll keep saying it till people are sick of hearing it, but what we’ve done in the last 5/6 years has been amazing and we still have so much more potential to achieve.

I’m looking forward to the summer now and what our squad will look like next season. We’ve been linked to some good players (Baena, Olise and Hermoso) but more importantly we need to shift some of the deadwood out.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,374

Post#926 » by MaliBrah » Tue May 14, 2024 9:50 pm

lol I pray Son doesn't find any joy in football for the rest of his career.
stormi
General Manager
And1: 7,890

Post#927 » by stormi » Wed May 15, 2024 1:19 am

Spurs did the right thing. COYS!
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,460

Post#928 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 16, 2024 12:55 pm

The PL better not bin VAR.

Fact is those in the VAR booth need to be sorted -- worrying about mates, lack of sending the ref to the monitor, and most importantly, consistency between games.

There's a part of me that feels the PGMOL have sabotaged VAR, based on some of the shocking decisions.
Pipp33
Rookie

Post#929 » by Pipp33 » Thu May 16, 2024 10:49 pm

Baseline81 wrote:The PL better not bin VAR.

Fact is those in the VAR booth need to be sorted -- worrying about mates, lack of sending the ref to the monitor, and most importantly, consistency between games.

There's a part of me that feels the PGMOL have sabotaged VAR, based on some of the shocking decisions.

I think it should be kept, but with clearer definitions of when it can be used.

Offside use is fine, but let's get a full explanation of the decision and put lines up for viewers to see, including in stadium. The body parts used for judging offside make it harder, I like just using the feet of a player, for the point of it's clearer to judge.

I know speed of process is a concern, but I'd personally prefer the on-field ref checked a screen and made the decision. There's enough money in the premier league to have 2-4 monitors positioned around the ground so he can go to the closest one to review. Not sure how this would work if he has made an error and missed something egregious

Going back to review fouls from build up play is fraught with danger, as the ref lets it go, knowing that VAR will check. Put that power back on the on-field ref and touchline officials in live play. I'm okay with red card reviews also, as long as a free kick and yellow card has been awarded.

Need to put the game officials back in control and stop their hesitance to call things up because of VAR.
Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team
Baseline81
Starter

Post#930 » by Baseline81 » Thu May 16, 2024 11:07 pm

Pipp33 wrote:I think it should be kept, but with clearer definitions of when it can be used.

Offside use is fine, but let's get a full explanation of the decision and put lines up for viewers to see, including in stadium. The body parts used for judging offside make it harder, I like just using the feet of a player, for the point of it's clearer to judge.

I know speed of process is a concern, but I'd personally prefer the on-field ref checked a screen and made the decision. There's enough money in the premier league to have 2-4 monitors positioned around the ground so he can go to the closest one to review. Not sure how this would work if he has made an error and missed something egregious

Going back to review fouls from build up play is fraught with danger, as the ref lets it go, knowing that VAR will check. Put that power back on the on-field ref and touchline officials in live play. I'm okay with red card reviews also, as long as a free kick and yellow card has been awarded.

Need to put the game officials back in control and stop their hesitance to call things up because of VAR.

Regarding the underline, there will be no more drawn lines. Instead, the PL has given the green light on semi-auto offsides, which has been used in the World Cup. It's a quicker process and much more precise. Honestly, surprised the clubs didn't install it sooner.

And yes to the on-field ref using the monitor more, though I will add VAR shouldn't be slowing the replay down or showing still images, both of which seems to make things look worse than what actually occurred.
Pipp33
Rookie

Post#931 » by Pipp33 » Fri May 17, 2024 12:11 am

Baseline81 wrote:
Pipp33 wrote:I think it should be kept, but with clearer definitions of when it can be used.

Regarding the underline, there will be no more drawn lines. Instead, the PL has given the green light on semi-auto offsides, which has been used in the World Cup. It's a quicker process and much more precise. Honestly, surprised the clubs didn't install it sooner.

And yes to the on-field ref using the monitor more, though I will add VAR shouldn't be slowing the replay down or showing still images, both of which seems to make things look worse than what actually occurred.

Yes, good point on the offside - forgot about that.

Likewise with the the slowing down and still images....
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,491

Post#932 » by Foye » Fri May 17, 2024 7:24 pm

So Klopps last day in the office is Sunday? Guy had a pretty intense career. Wonder how he will manage taking a backseat. Probably will be anxious to find a new job after 3 months of rest already.

I am sure we are going to see him as a visitor in the stands in Mainz next season.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,079

Post#933 » by Wisky4life » Fri May 17, 2024 8:52 pm

Ten Hag for one more year. Gets cut and then Klopp brings Manchester back to glory.

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd
stormi
General Manager

Post#934 » by stormi » Fri May 17, 2024 10:44 pm

Flopp said he ain't managing a team in England again out of respect for Liverpool
MetalFingaz
Veteran
And1: 2,834

Post#935 » by MetalFingaz » Sat May 18, 2024 12:22 am

stormi wrote:Flopp said he ain't managing a team in England again out of respect for Liverpool

Good luck with Poch at the helm next season!
It's time for 5 refs.
stormi
General Manager

Post#936 » by stormi » Sat May 18, 2024 12:38 am

MetalFingaz wrote:
stormi wrote:Flopp said he ain't managing a team in England again out of respect for Liverpool

Good luck with Poch at the helm next season!

low blow
Baseline81
Starter

Post#937 » by Baseline81 » Sat May 18, 2024 2:03 am

Really, stormi?
stormi
General Manager

Post#938 » by stormi » Sat May 18, 2024 2:41 am

Baseline81 wrote:

Really, stormi?

Remember when Mr Jurgen told a reporter a few months back that his BMI was too high to ask him a question lol
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#939 » by The_Brecht » Sat May 18, 2024 4:58 am

Moyes going out with a bang would be something though.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Wisky4life
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,079

Post#940 » by Wisky4life » Sat May 18, 2024 4:50 pm

Wierd seeing De zerbi leave Brighton. Wonder if he has something lined up? Can't be Bayern or maybe even Barcelona if Xavi does leave, can it?

Sent from my SM-G973U using RealGM mobile app
“We’re going to turn this team around 360 degrees.” –Jason Kidd

Return to The General Soccer Board