UEFA Nations league

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: UEFA Nations league 

Post#101 » by HIF » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:45 am

UcanUwill wrote:Maybe I am completely wrong, but it seems England is stacked at attacking midfield, but everything else arent that amazing, defensive line isnt anything special, keeper is average, mane striker - Kane, is good, but nothing out of the ordinary. Good team, but Brits probably overrate it quite a bit.

Their best attacking midfielder is James Maddsion and they didn't even put him in the squad - which is why they lost. I'd say that England are stacked with good speedy , intelligent attackers but Southgate has no idea how to use them and insists on playing Kane as the no.9. I think England have a great set of defensive midfielders too. England's weakness at the moment is clearly Southgate and then CB.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#102 » by HIF » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:46 am

Baphomet wrote:Maybe Southgate will get sacked before the world cup. That would be amazing.

He should be sacked right now. But he won't be and another good opportunity will pass us by.

HIF
RealGM

Post#103 » by HIF » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:56 am

I guess all of Sothgate's playing contemporaries will now be rushing to his defence. If I hear them blaming the schedule then I may cry. Other teams players have the same schedule and Southgate has a much bigger choice of good player than most nations.

0-4 to Hungary is truly disgusting.

HIF
RealGM

Post#104 » by HIF » Wed Jun 15, 2022 7:59 am

Pearson or Dyche or England manager.

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,488

Post#105 » by Foye » Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:01 pm

So I forgot there was a game yesterday and just checked the score.

Seems like Italy got blasted.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#106 » by Baphomet » Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:48 pm

HIF wrote:I guess all of Sothgate's playing contemporaries will now be rushing to his defence. If I hear them blaming the schedule then I may cry. Other teams players have the same schedule and Southgate has a much bigger choice of good player than most nations.

magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 1,181

Post#107 » by magik9113 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 9:59 pm

Baphomet wrote:
HIF wrote:I guess all of Sothgate's playing contemporaries will now be rushing to his defence. If I hear them blaming the schedule then I may cry. Other teams players have the same schedule and Southgate has a much bigger choice of good player than most nations.

0-4 to Hungary is pretty bad after already having lost to them but at least you guys made the World Cup. Better to look like sh*t now and be able to fix it before the tournament.
magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#108 » by magik9113 » Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:04 pm

Foye wrote:So I forgot there was a game yesterday and just checked the score.

Embarrassing showing from Italy who also got embarrassed vs Argentina two weeks ago. Yesterday the defense was possibly the worst I’ve ever seen from them.
HIF
RealGM

Post#109 » by HIF » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:57 am

magik9113 wrote:

Embarrassing showing from Italy who also got embarrassed vs Argentina two weeks ago. Yesterday the defense was possibly the worst I’ve ever seen from them.

But good enough to hold us scoreless. :wink:

magik9113
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#110 » by magik9113 » Thu Jun 16, 2022 1:07 pm

HIF wrote:
magik9113 wrote:

But good enough to hold us scoreless. :wink:

Lol well it was an entirely different back 4
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#111 » by wco81 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:04 am

How important is the Nations League?

I was in France the last couple of weeks and I tuned into the French broadcast of France vs. Croatia.

The French crowd was loud, a big buzz in the air.

Obviously WC and the Euro are bigger and I would assume that these teams are making sure that their best players are fully available for WC, which could mean missing these Nations League matches?
HIF
RealGM

Post#112 » by HIF » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:13 am

wco81 wrote:How important is the Nations League?

I was in France the last couple of weeks and I tuned into the French broadcast of France vs. Croatia.

Obviously WC and the Euro are bigger and I would assume that these teams are making sure that their best players are fully available for WC, which could mean missing these Nations League matches?

It's not important. It has been cobbled together because the friendly system was dying and not making any money for UEFA so they came up with this idea to increase revenue. Playing here will not affect whether they play in the World Cup. We have months of national games before then. However it's the end of a long season and so some players are tired.

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,488

Post#113 » by Foye » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:20 pm

wco81 wrote:How important is the Nations League?

For the teams the matches are valuable as they get to play against direct opponents.
Coaches use it for experimenting with their lineups. The biggest stars are sometimes taking games off due to load management in a long season. Basically it's a competitive friendly game.

As for the fans, I don't know too many people that acutally care about the nations league. People would come into the stadium as well if it was a random friendly game or qualifying game for WC / EC. Labelling it as "Nations League" doesn't make it more attractive.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#114 » by cgf » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:48 pm

Ultimately I don't trust Neuer anymore and we don't have the depth to withstand an injury to the free-thinker, LeGo, or the Dortmund CBs...yet^…so Qatar is likely a tournament too soon for us. But if things go our way, this team could be a lot of fun even without Wirtz.

Havertz*
Sane* - Musiala* - Gnabry*
Kimmich - Goretzka
Raum** - Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kehrer/Klostermann

*Adeyemi / Müller / Werner / Nmecha / Burkardt
** Hofmann / Baku / Gosens

Havertz*
Sane* - Gnabry*
Raum/Gosens - Kimmich - Goretzka - Hofmann/Baku
Schlotterbeck - Süle - Kehrer/Klostermann

*Musiala / Adeyemi / Müller / Werner / Nmecha / Burkardt

^In a cycle or two Bella Kotchap, Dardai, Thiaw, Arrey Mbi, Gechter, & Buchmann / Collins should address the CB depth.

It’ll be a bit more of a wait to get proper cover for Kimmich & Goretzka unless Stiller & Krauß / Becker / Martel take bigger steps than expected over the next two years…though I do like Stach as a backup…or Rhein / Raebiger / Bischof, develop faster than expected.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#115 » by Baphomet » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:37 pm

cgf wrote:Ultimately I don't trust Neuer anymore and we don't have the depth to withstand an injury to the free-thinker, LeGo, or the Dortmund CBs...yet^…so Qatar is likely a tournament too soon for us. But if things go our way, this team could be a lot of fun even without Wirtz.

Havertz*
Kimmich - Goretzka

Havertz*
Sane* - Gnabry*

^In a cycle or two Bella Kotchap, Dardai, Thiaw, Arrey Mbi, Gechter, & Buchmann / Collins should address the CB depth.

It’ll be a bit more of a wait to get proper cover for Kimmich & Goretzka unless Stiller & Krauß / Becker / Martel take bigger steps than expected over the next two years…though I do like Stach as a backup…or Rhein / Raebiger / Bischof, develop faster than expected.

I can't comment on the state of the Germany rebuild, but I thought Musiala looked very bright when he played against England. I'm also glad that he's playing for Germany as the England NT would likely only waste his talent.

Good to see you, cgf.
cgf
RealGM
And1: 10,867

Post#116 » by cgf » Fri Jun 17, 2022 6:53 pm

Baphomet wrote:
cgf wrote:Ultimately I don't trust Neuer anymore and we don't have the depth to withstand an injury to the free-thinker, LeGo, or the Dortmund CBs...yet^…so Qatar is likely a tournament too soon for us. But if things go our way, this team could be a lot of fun even without Wirtz.

Havertz*
Kimmich - Goretzka

Havertz*
Sane* - Gnabry*

I can't comment on the state of the Germany rebuild, but I thought Musiala looked very bright when he played against England. I'm also glad that he's playing for Germany as the England NT would likely only waste his talent.

Good to see you, cgf.

Thanks man, life got absolutely CRAZY :lol:

As for our youth work:
There was a significant down period after the 95-96ers: Sane, Gnabry, Kimmich, Goretzka, Süle, Kehrer, Klostermann, Werner, Brandt, Tah, Dahoud. During which time we were only producing 1 or 2 kids per age group with the talent to compete for starting spots on the senior team: maybe Neuhaus from '97; Raum & Baku in '98; Havertz & Schlotterbeck in '99; just Burkardt in 2000. But starting with the 2001ers, that has been ticking back to 4-6 kids, or more, per age group.

Which lead to: our U21s winning the last euros and sending even more potential senior team talents to next summer's edition. Our U17s to choke after going up by 2 in the shootout against eventual champions France at this summer's euros. And the U19s to botch their elite round qualifying group after dropping leads late in games to Italy & Belgium...but that team didn't have many of its top talents due to promotions, without having gotten any of the top-ranked U17s to backfill.

Musiala's certainly a big-time talent for the attack/creative-band, who is an absolute delight to watch, but that is our strongest area even without counting Havertz or Sanabry. As Wirtz, Adeyemi, Moukoko, Wanner, Ibrahimovic, Raebiger, & Bischof, are in that same tier...though I expect the latter two will move deeper as they progress to the senior level, despite playing as 10s / wingers at the youth level.

I also really like Burkardt & Schade, but they're not quite on the same level as that first group and we have a lot more kids in the Burkardt / Schade tier, who I'm just not as confident in making good on their talent (atm) and didn't want to list through.

We're also looking good in defense once again; as our U21 CBs (Bella Kotchap, Dardai, & Thiaw) will be pushing for the spots behind Süle, Schlotterbeck, and Kehrer/Klostermann, as soon as next cycle...I'm really high on Bella Kotchap, his ceiling is just massive and he seems to be a quick learner; while Dardai's just a beauty with the ball. Arrey Mbi & Gechter from the younger generation, are both similarly-highly-rated talents, who started to make their own jumps to senior team football at the club level.

At FB/WB Luca Netz is one of the biggest talents in his age group and the 19yo had some very exciting performances for BMG this season; looking like an eventual rival to the still just 23yo Raum with his intelligence & skill...while Knauff just won the EL playing RWB for Frankfurt.

Where I'm still not loving things is behind Kimmich & Goretzka; at least in the short term...in the long run, Raebiger & Bischoff are two of our biggest talents regardless of age group, and I'm really high on Rhein, who looks just like Kimmich did at the youth level. I do like Stach as a backup, but he should never start for us in a big match...which we're one Kimmich injury away from having to do...while Gundogan's age is catching up to him & Neuhaus took a step back this season.

So unless one (or more) of Stiller / Krauß / Becker / Martel really develops well, Stach shows a gear I didn't expect from him, or Neuhaus bounces back in a big way; it'll be a while before we have any genuine alternatives to the Bayern duo...as we could be waiting until one of Raebiger, Bischof, or Rhein, is ready to claim a spot on the senior NT.

I have had to accept that I don't know **** about assessing goalies and lucked into calling ter Stegen early. So I dunno what to think about our future there beyond MAtS / Trapp / Ortega...but we have a few kids who have looked good to me whenever I've seen them play for our youth NTs and have hype amongst german prospect folks.

Köln's Jonas Urbig has tremendous skill on the ball for a U19 keeper; he can look like a young Neuer or ter Stegen with the ball on his foot. While Noah Atubolu has been coming on strong for the U21 NT after backstopping freshly-promoted Freiburg II to a solidly midtable finish in the third division, despite just turning 20 a few weeks ago.
Capn'O wrote:We're the recovering meth addict older brother. And we've been clean for a few years now, thank you very much. Very uncouth to bring it up.

Brunson: So what are you paid to do?
Hart: Run around like an idiot during the game and f*** s*** up!
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#117 » by Baphomet » Fri Sep 23, 2022 9:09 pm

Once again I would like to take a moment of everyone's time to calmly and politely reiterate: Southgate out. Terrible tactics, terrible team selection, terrible game management.

How Sancho and Maddison couldn't get picked for this **** team is a mystery.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#118 » by wco81 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:28 pm

How much do teams care about Nations League?

There's WC and then Euro qualifiers within the next 6 months.

Are they necessarily playing the best players? If a player has a minor nick he might still play in the WC or Euro but maybe not the NL?

Saw that Germany lost to Hungary at home?
LDNMagic90
Bench Warmer
And1: 859

Post#119 » by LDNMagic90 » Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:58 pm

Baphomet wrote:Once again I would like to take a moment of everyone's time to calmly and politely reiterate: Southgate out. Terrible tactics, terrible team selection, terrible game management.

How Sancho and Maddison couldn't get picked for this **** team is a mystery.

We’re not going anywhere this year I’m so sorry, I get the nations league is nothing in the grand scheme of things but it’s embarrassing. From the tactics to him picking players out of form based on them being his favourites. He’s always been a **** coach that’s the reality, although he made me believe in the Euros.
HIF
RealGM

Post#120 » by HIF » Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:13 am

I didn't watch because I'm sick to death of Southgate and his buddies. We all know that Kane is going to be the striker no matter who the opposition are. we know that Mount and foden will be the midfield and we know that the Defence will be the same tired players no matter what form any of the players are in. It doesn't surprise me that we didn't score and lost.

Southgate should never have been manager he's wasted a great crop of England players. Still kane can get a few more empty records and no trophies and the big 6 can have more caps and push the prices of their internationals up. Sadly it means players like Maddison will follow Phillips from the other 14 to the big 6 in the hope of getting capped whilst not playing for their clubs.

Sad state of affairs.

Return to The General Soccer Board