51%

Total votes: 59

Noodlesoop
Senior
And1: 561

Re: Bigger surprise? Messi to PSG vs Cristiano returns to Man Utd 

Post#101 » by Noodlesoop » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:31 pm

SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
Liam_Gallagher wrote:Basketball terms: Durant signs with Celtics, LeBron signs with Cavs.

Cristiano returns to Manchester = LeBron returns to Cleveland (2014)

Messi to PSG = KD to Warriors (2016)

Sorry but it’s nothing like KD to the Warriors. PSG haven’t just dominated Europe (they haven’t won the Champs league) or broken any crazy records/considered the best team in Europe etc like the Warriors had done in 2016.

KD’s move to the Warriors was about wanting to join the better team to give himself a better chance at winning titles. Messi’s move is more about money as Barca can’t afford his salary.
Rust_Cohle
Starter
And1: 2,252

Post#102 » by Rust_Cohle » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:03 pm

Noodlesoop wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:
Liam_Gallagher wrote:Basketball terms: Durant signs with Celtics, LeBron signs with Cavs.

Cristiano returns to Manchester = LeBron returns to Cleveland (2014)

Sorry but it’s nothing like KD to the Warriors. PSG haven’t just dominated Europe (they haven’t won the Champs league) or broken any crazy records/considered the best team in Europe etc like the Warriors had done in 2016.

KD’s move to the Warriors was about wanting to join the better team to give himself a better chance at winning titles. Messi’s move is more about money as Barca can’t afford his salary.

Messi wants to win one last CL. Do money helps but he genuinely felt psg was his best chance at a CL trophy. Same reason Ronaldo was considering man city despite it killing his united legacy with their fans until Fergie intervened.
Noodlesoop
Senior
And1: 561

Post#103 » by Noodlesoop » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:53 pm

Rust_Cohle wrote:
Noodlesoop wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Cristiano returns to Manchester = LeBron returns to Cleveland (2014)

Messi wants to win one last CL. Do money helps but he genuinely felt psg was his best chance at a CL trophy. Same reason Ronaldo was considering man city despite it killing his united legacy with their fans until Fergie intervened.

I think PSG are as likely as 3-4 other teams (maybe even Barca) to win the Champs league so it’s not a material upgrade in talent etc (Mbappe is likely leaving). It’s not the same as KD who went to a team who won the title the year before, had just won the most amount of regular season games ever and he blew a 3-1 lead against. Messi also ‘tried’ to stay but apparently they were too far away from a monetary perspective - again, money didn’t play a factor with KD. KD’s move was much less justifiable.
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#104 » by Rust_Cohle » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:08 pm

Noodlesoop wrote:
Rust_Cohle wrote:
Noodlesoop wrote:

I think PSG are as likely as 3-4 other teams (maybe even Barca) to win the Champs league so it’s not a material upgrade in talent etc (Mbappe is likely leaving). It’s not the same as KD who went to a team who won the title the year before, had just won the most amount of regular season games ever and he blew a 3-1 lead against. Messi also ‘tried’ to stay but apparently they were too far away from a monetary perspective - again, money didn’t play a factor with KD. KD’s move was much less justifiable.

Oops, perhaps I misread what you initially meant. Looks like we agree.
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#105 » by SecondTake » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:46 pm

SharpyShuffle wrote:I've never heard of any athlete as competitive as MJ, but Ronaldo is a little bit different. Ronaldo is more dedicated to winning, whereas MJ was more dedicated to beating people, if that makes sense.

Like, Ronaldo and Messi apparently get on quite well. Can you imagine MJ, if he had to play for a decade directly against a player who is just *slightly* better than him? He'd loathe that guy, whoever he was. Ronaldo did everything he could to beat Barca, but it never really seemed personal.

Or just look at Ronaldo now, trying to eke out one last set of titles. It seems like he doesn't really mind where, he just wants to keep winning, have 1 (or 2, or 3...) last chance at a major league title + CL. He must know he won't be The Man anymore in Manchester, that he'll have to defer to the likes of Bruno and Sancho as the main attacking threats. He may not even get to take penalties. Whereas MJ would never settle for second-best on his own team, even after his second retirement. I can see Ronaldo even taking a bench role in a year or two, which would be unthinkable for MJ.
Messi is not a little bit better than Ronaldo. That's BS. nice try trying to slip that into your wall of text.

Sent from my SM-G950W using RealGM mobile app
SecondTake
Veteran
And1: 1,493

Post#106 » by SecondTake » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:49 pm

Optms wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
SUPERVILLAIN wrote:Here's the attention you ordered douchebag.

He makes a point (not specifically about soccer). Where do we draw the line? Can I make posts about e-sports as well? Maybe some chess threads? The World Series of Poker is coming up soon, we could do a thread for that as well on the Basketball General Board.

Or, we can use the off topic / other sports boards within Realgm...but those won't get you the clicks and attention you want since they're not so frequently visited.

I miss when stuff like this was locked up or moved to the proper sub forums. I'm here for basketball. Not anything else.

Also, this is like the 3rd thread I've seen on here involving Messi and Cristiano and I don't even come on here every day. Smh.
If you're gonna spew vitriol against a sport billions of people enjoy then maybe this forum isnt for you

Optms
RealGM
And1: 17,164

Post#107 » by Optms » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:57 pm

SecondTake wrote:
Optms wrote:
Cubbies2120 wrote:
He makes a point (not specifically about soccer). Where do we draw the line? Can I make posts about e-sports as well? Maybe some chess threads? The World Series of Poker is coming up soon, we could do a thread for that as well on the Basketball General Board.

Or, we can use the off topic / other sports boards within Realgm...but those won't get you the clicks and attention you want since they're not so frequently visited.

I miss when stuff like this was locked up or moved to the proper sub forums. I'm here for basketball. Not anything else.

Also, this is like the 3rd thread I've seen on here involving Messi and Cristiano and I don't even come on here every day. Smh.
If you're gonna spew vitriol against a sport billions of people enjoy then maybe this forum isnt for you

I didn't say one negative thing about the Sport. And your argument is poor. This is a basketball forum, specifically an NBA general discussion forum. Popularity on something unrelated to basketball should have zero barring on whether it should be allowed on here. And given how popular Soccer is, I'm sure there is a million other places these topics can be discussed. The NFL is also the crown jewel in the US. Should we allow that too? How about Baseball? There was already a Shohie Otani thread on here so I believe yes.

Again, I am not insulting the Sport. I am just saying it should not be discussed on here. But I guess these topics are allowed now so my opinion really doesn't matter.
Capn'O
Senior Mod - Knicks
Senior Mod - Knicks
And1: 93,245

Post#108 » by Capn'O » Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:09 pm

Eddy_JukeZ wrote:
Capn'O wrote:Here's a random thought I had that I wanted to run by futball fans:

Ronaldo Nazario = Shaq
CR = LeBron
Messi = MJ

Discuss. I don't follow the sport a lot but enough to know some stars and how they are regarded. I need things explained in basketball terms to better understand.

azcatz11 wrote:Honestly there is nothing worse than posters trying to mod and dictate what should be posted. Some of us enjoy these OT threads so why ruin it? Don't click the thread if you don't like it.

Indeed. Backseat modding is actually a strikeable offense. As is derailing. Report and move on.

The Ronaldo Nazario-Shaq comparison doesn't really fit. Shaq didn't have a problem with injuries and I think overall, he reached his potential. He doesn't have a what-if about him besides maybe, "what if he was more motivated", but that's a personal trait of his. Ronaldo Nazario blew his knee out multiple times. Even though he was still a world class player when he returned, he was no longer El Fenemono(a phenom). If he didn't get injured, he probably would have gone down as one of the 5 best ever players, but we can only ponder about him now.

Both were physical specimens, but Ronaldo Nazario was incredibly skilled. I don't think Shaq(even for a center) was that skilled. It's hard to find an equivalent in basketball terms for Ronaldo Nazario. I don't think there is one. There's no all-time great player that got derailed by an injury.

Personally, I think Messi's personality is more akin to Lebron's and CR7's more-so resembles Jordan's. In terms of skill-set, I find it hard to think of direct comparisons, because of the differences in sport. Messi is essentially one of the best goal-scorers ever, best dribblers ever and best passers ever(especially passes in the final 3rd). It'd be like combining Curry and Magic with a dash of Kyrie into 1 I guess.

I suppose you can compare Ronaldo to MJ because Ronaldo is arguably the best goal-scorer of all time and MJ is the best scorer of all-time, but again, it's difficult. I personally have Messi above Ronaldo, but Ronaldo's drive and determination in football is probably the best I've ever seen. Jordan-like I suppose. I would say it's above Jordan's probably.

Ok fair enough. Like I said, I don't follow the sport enough to really make such comparisons but it's been a fun discussion jumping off point.

The only one I really felt good on was the Shaq comp. I just remember watching him in those 90s World Cups and it seemed like his combination of speed and power was just unstoppable in a way I haven't really seen before or since. I am also one of those guys who thinks Shaq had amazing footwork for a guy with his power. His shooting touch obviously was not that great but he was so quick to get to his spots for any center, let alone one of his size. I have also read that Ronaldo had conditioning concerns though Shaq never did get injured like that.

Walton would be a derailed ATG but the dominance/violence of Shaq's game was where my comparison was drawn.
BAF Clippers
PG: CP3 | SGA
SG: SGA | Big Ragu
SF: J Brown | Dorture Chamber
PF: Gordon | Niang
C: Capela | Sharpe

Deep Bench - Forrest | Oladipo | Fernando | Young | Svi | Cody Martin

:beer:
SharpyShuffle
Junior
And1: 580

Post#109 » by SharpyShuffle » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:02 pm

SecondTake wrote:
SharpyShuffle wrote:I've never heard of any athlete as competitive as MJ, but Ronaldo is a little bit different. Ronaldo is more dedicated to winning, whereas MJ was more dedicated to beating people, if that makes sense.

Like, Ronaldo and Messi apparently get on quite well. Can you imagine MJ, if he had to play for a decade directly against a player who is just *slightly* better than him? He'd loathe that guy, whoever he was. Ronaldo did everything he could to beat Barca, but it never really seemed personal.

Or just look at Ronaldo now, trying to eke out one last set of titles. It seems like he doesn't really mind where, he just wants to keep winning, have 1 (or 2, or 3...) last chance at a major league title + CL. He must know he won't be The Man anymore in Manchester, that he'll have to defer to the likes of Bruno and Sancho as the main attacking threats. He may not even get to take penalties. Whereas MJ would never settle for second-best on his own team, even after his second retirement. I can see Ronaldo even taking a bench role in a year or two, which would be unthinkable for MJ.
Messi is not a little bit better than Ronaldo. That's BS. nice try trying to slip that into your wall of text.

Fanboys are so tiresome.
Also got to laugh at the use of the phrase "wall of text" to describe 3 very short paragraphs. Really says something about your education level.
Lakers LeBron
Senior
And1: 1,679

Post#110 » by Lakers LeBron » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:17 pm

It's just hard to care about soccer when you know that America would be the best at if our best athletes were playing soccer instead of football

The World Cup would end up looking a lot like Olympic basketball every year
ACMFFL
Senior
And1: 569

Post#111 » by ACMFFL » Sat Aug 28, 2021 11:22 pm

Lakers LeBron wrote:It's just hard to care about soccer when you know that America would be the best at if our best athletes were playing soccer instead of football

:lol: :lol:

You seem so insecure :roll: :lol:
"All dreams are crazy until they come true."
Rust_Cohle
Starter

Post#112 » by Rust_Cohle » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:12 am

SecondTake wrote:

Messi is more than just a little better than Ronaldo, and that’s not a slight to Ronaldo
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,031

Post#113 » by JN61 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:15 am

Westbrook to Lakers.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
TheGOATRises007
RealGM
And1: 18,653

Post#114 » by TheGOATRises007 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 4:58 am

Lakers LeBron wrote:It's just hard to care about soccer when you know that America would be the best at if our best athletes were playing soccer instead of football

Completely misses the point of the sport if you think the best athletes are the best players.
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 202

Post#115 » by Battletrigger » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:54 am

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,193

Post#116 » by UcanUwill » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:49 am

Is this a satire? This is why Americans get a bad rep.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,186

Post#117 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sun Aug 29, 2021 12:51 pm

VeritasTri wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
VeritasTri wrote:Biggest surprise is having to see soccer garbage on a basketball forum.

soccer > you

Go moderate the Soccer forum and you will never have to see me again.

Sorry if I think your sport is trash (like most legitimate Americans do). Sorry if this hurts your feelings.

Legitimate Americans :lol:

You are definitely a legitimate American because I can tell your blood pressure is high AF.. chill dude it’s the off-season :lol:
Battletrigger
Junior
And1: 202

Post#118 » by Battletrigger » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:36 pm

OrlChamps2030 wrote:
VeritasTri wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
soccer > you

Go moderate the Soccer forum and you will never have to see me again.

Sorry if I think your sport is trash (like most legitimate Americans do). Sorry if this hurts your feelings.

Legitimate Americans :lol:

You are definitely a legitimate American because I can tell your blood pressure is high AF.. chill dude it’s the off-season :lol:

It's a bad joke since the first followed sport by American is football by far.

I have always though that shows very low self esteem when they call themselves Americans when they are only a part of North America with less than one third population.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#119 » by HIF » Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:54 pm

DNP - Old wrote:Ronaldo back to Man U makes me feel like I'm 15 again.

Are Steven and Frankie also coming back...? :D

Frankie went to Hollywood.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
skones
RealGM
And1: 17,266

Post#120 » by skones » Sun Aug 29, 2021 11:16 pm

Do you often talk about things you don't understand?

Return to The General Soccer Board