Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,264

Re: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Semi-Finals & Final 

Post#1281 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:54 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:I've had those cookies BTW. They're f'ing delicious.

My wife is Argentine and loves them, I order them from Amazon sometimes. Somehow reasonably priced with free shipping, comes via FedEx international.

What cookies are you guys talking about... alfajor?

I think that's what they're called but not positive. Caramel sandwich cookies.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach
And1: 14,632

Post#1282 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:09 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:
My wife is Argentine and loves them, I order them from Amazon sometimes. Somehow reasonably priced with free shipping, comes via FedEx international.

This one?

They are very easy to make at home!

Have you ever heard of quindim? Pudim? Mousse de chocolate? Oh boy, brazilian sweet foods are no joke, lol.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#1283 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:15 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

This one?

They are very easy to make at home!

Have you ever heard of quindim? Pudim? Mousse de chocolate? Oh boy, brazilian sweet foods are no joke, lol.

These weren't dipped in chocolate -- which looks incredible -- and the cookies were shortbread. But I'm sure there are all kinds of different varieties. It's the same general composition with two cookies and a caramel/dulce de leche filling.

I've had mousse for sure, but not the other two. I have a massive, massive sweet tooth so if there's sugar in it, I will eat it. I'm surrounded by three or four gourmet cookie/donut/pie shops in a half-mile radius here in Atlanta so I have to really watch myself. Especially given that there are few things I enjoy more than lighting up a joint and eating amazing-but-bad food.

Side note: I took a trip to Rio about 20 years ago now (20 years ago, holy sht) and I had this incredible black bean and meat stew (sausage, ribs, pork, etc). I ate so much in one sitting I almost made myself sick.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1284 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:22 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:These weren't dipped in chocolate -- which looks incredible -- and the cookies were shortbread. But I'm sure there are all kinds of different varieties. It's the same general composition with two cookies and a caramel/dulce de leche filling.

I've had mousse for sure, but not the other two. I have a massive, massive sweet tooth so if there's sugar in it, I will eat it. I'm surrounded by three or four gourmet cookie/donut/pie shops in a half-mile radius here in Atlanta so I have to really watch myself. Especially given that there are few things I enjoy more than lighting up a joint and eating amazing-but-bad food.

If it isn't dipped in chocolate, then it must be a variation of alfajor, but I haven't seen them that way in my lifetime.

"Alfajor" is the nome the argentineans use, here in Brazil it's called "pão de mel" (honey bread).

But like i said, it's extremely easy to make it at home, there are lots of videos on YT teaching it.

Here's a quindim, made mostly of coconut and eggs:

And here's a pudim:

All also very easy to make at home.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#1285 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:24 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:These weren't dipped in chocolate -- which looks incredible -- and the cookies were shortbread. But I'm sure there are all kinds of different varieties. It's the same general composition with two cookies and a caramel/dulce de leche filling.

If it isn't dipped in chocolate, then it must be a variation of alfajor, but I haven't seen them that way in my lifetime.

"Alfajor" is the nome the argentineans use, here in Brazil it's called "pão de mel" (honey bread).

But like i said, it's extremely easy to make it at home, there are lots of videos on YT teaching it.

And here's a pudim:

This is pretty close to what they were:

Also, does that stew I added to my previous ring a bell?
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1286 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:36 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:Side note: I took a trip to Rio about 20 years ago now (20 years ago, holy sht) and I had this incredible black bean and meat stew (sausage, ribs, pork, etc). I ate so much in one sitting I almost made myself sick.

This is feijoada, Brazil's most well-known dish:

I eat it almost every month. Never met a person in my whole life who doesn't like it!

I'm quite sure that you could find it in Atlanta, there must be a brazilian restaurant there somewhere.

Heck, when I was living in Canada I ate feijoada there! lol

And don't forget fried "mandioca" (or "aipim"), it goes hand in hand with feijoada extremely well (alongside the others in the picture, like white rice, couve, vinagrete, farofa...)
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1287 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:38 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:This is pretty close to what they were:

Yep, this is a pão de mel obviously, just with a different topping.

Just go to selected markets/shops and ask for "alfajor" (or "pão de mel"), they will be easy to find because you live in a big city there in the US and certainly there ought to be brazilian food shops somewhere.

As for the other question, I answered above, it's definitely feijoada.
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#1288 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:41 am

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:Side note: I took a trip to Rio about 20 years ago now (20 years ago, holy sht) and I had this incredible black bean and meat stew (sausage, ribs, pork, etc). I ate so much in one sitting I almost made myself sick.

This is feijoada, Brazil's most well-known dish:

I eat it almost every month. Never met a person in my whole life who doesn't like it!

I'm quite sure that you could find it in Atlanta, there must be a brazilian restaurant there somewhere.

Heck, when I was living in Canada I ate feijoada there! lol

And don't forget fried "mandioca" (or "aipim"), it goes hand in hand with feijoada extremely well (alongside the others in the picture, like white rice, couve, vinagrete, farofa...)

Yup, that's it. Holy sht that stuff is good. I love stews but I find a lot of American "meat-and-potatoes" varieties to be exceedingly bland. So the beans and spices are right up my alley. We're overrun by Brazilian steakhouses but I haven't looked for anything with a broader menu. I'll see if I can track some down.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1289 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:56 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:Yup, that's it. Holy sht that stuff is good. I love stews but I find a lot of American "meat-and-potatoes" varieties to be exceedingly bland. So the beans and spices are right up my alley. We're overrun by Brazilian steakhouses but I haven't looked for anything with a broader menu. I'll see if I can track some down.

Indeed, it's amazing.

It has a very interesting origin story: when slaves came into the south american continent, after a day's work they usually made their food with whatever was left of what the owners ate, so they simply put all the leftovers together, added black beans and that's it.

American food is definitely bland for my taste, brazilian food is similar to mexican in this sense.

I looked up on Google and you have a restaurant called "Fogo de Chão" (Fire in the Ground, lol) there. This is a very famous chain restaurant, they are like the brazilian McDonald's, except only with amazing food, rodízio (when you pay a fee, get served any meats you want, and they keep feeding you until you pass out), and certainly feijoada.

Don't miss feijoada... and, most importantly, get the whole she-bang that usually goes along with it (white rice, couve, torresmo, vinagrete, farofa, fried mandioca, fried polenta)... that will make the experience A LOT better.

When I was living in Canada, we once took a japanese guy to eat feijoada... he ate 5 plates, plus 2 portions of mandioca, plus 4 bottles of guaraná soft drink. He must have gained 5 kg in the experience, lol.
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,894

Post#1290 » by fbalmeida » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:21 pm

Anything that comes out of a pot with a Portuguese name is going to be absolutely delicious.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,894

Post#1291 » by fbalmeida » Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:22 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:

And here's a pudim:

"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
maradro
Senior
And1: 377

Post#1292 » by maradro » Tue Dec 20, 2022 3:03 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:
GSWFan1994 wrote:

And here's a pudim:

This is pretty close to what they were:

Alfajores come in many different types, the more industrial type are like in the pic at the top of this page

More homemade type are called alfajor de maicena, from your description sounds like that's what you had...

Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,361

Post#1293 » by Shaazzam » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:19 pm

this thread is **** awesome
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#1294 » by Baphomet » Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:53 pm

**** the World Cup, this is a food thread now and I will allow it
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,252

Post#1295 » by Stannis » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:23 pm

Just a fun fact, but the Saudis drew 10 offsides from Argentina.

France was only able to get 5, and that includes extra time

In fact, nobody else was even close to get to 10. Clearly Saudi Arabia is the team that laid the blue print, but nobody studied their art.
Free Palestine
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#1296 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:53 pm

Baphomet wrote:**** the World Cup, this is a food thread now and I will allow it

On that note, here's a stock photo of what I had for lunch today, a staple of classic Southern/Creole cooking: shrimp and grits

I hadn't eaten much grits before I moved over here to Georgia, but they're f'ing delicious. (The South sucks for a lot of reasons, but the food is beyond reproach.) Served savory (lunch/dinner) or sweet (breakfast), it's an extremely thick but creamy corn meal porridge with the consistency of mashed potatoes. Most savory versions are flavored with cheese and butter, so it really sticks to the ribs. The shrimp are usually blackened and a perfect complement.

If you've never tried it and have the opportunity, Louisiana Creole is probably my favorite American cuisine. Influences from all over the globe blended into something delicious and (relatively) unique.
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1297 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:59 pm

fbalmeida wrote:Anything that comes out of a pot with a Portuguese name is going to be absolutely delicious.

Portuguese food is amazing too! I love caldo verde, pastel de belém, bacalhau with vegetables...

I absolutely love caldo verde, I try to eat it at least 2 times per year... it's basically feijoada without the black beans, but instead mashed potatoes soup and couve in its place.

Here are the "pastel de belém":

GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1298 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:24 pm

Baphomet wrote:**** the World Cup, this is a food thread now and I will allow it

Sorry, couldn't help it with the large quantity of off-topic posts...

... now join us for some feijoada, I ordered this small pot just for you! :clap:

If you think I'm joking, here's the full pot:

:lol: :lol:
GSWFan1994
Head Coach

Post#1299 » by GSWFan1994 » Tue Dec 20, 2022 7:36 pm

Sedale Threatt wrote:

On that note, here's a stock photo of what I had for lunch today, a staple of classic Southern/Creole cooking: shrimp and grits

I hadn't eaten much grits before I moved over here to Georgia, but they're f'ing delicious. (The South sucks for a lot of reasons, but the food is beyond reproach.) Served savory (lunch/dinner) or sweet (breakfast), it's an extremely thick but creamy corn meal porridge with the consistency of mashed potatoes. Most savory versions are flavored with cheese and butter, so it really sticks to the ribs. The shrimp are usually blackened and a perfect complement.

If you've never tried it and have the opportunity, Louisiana Creole is probably my favorite American cuisine. Influences from all over the globe blended into something delicious and (relatively) unique.

I cooked myself a similar dish just 2 weeks ago, this one:

I've never done it before, just followed the video to a T... it was easy AND amazing. :clap:
Sedale Threatt
RealGM

Post#1300 » by Sedale Threatt » Tue Dec 20, 2022 8:06 pm

GSWFan1994 wrote:
Sedale Threatt wrote:

I cooked myself a similar dish just 2 weeks ago, this one:

I've never done it before, just followed the video to a T... it was easy AND amazing. :clap:

Jambalaya is freaking incredible. Easily one of my favorite dishes.

Return to The General Soccer Board