Official Manchester United FC Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Ted Lasso
General Manager
And1: 1,214

Re: Official Manchester United FC Thread 

Post#21 » by Ted Lasso » Mon Jul 14, 2014 2:50 pm

That's crazy money, but Nike are now down to Man City and the National Team in England. They've lost Juventus as well. I wonder what they're thinking.
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#22 » by britblazerdude » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:08 pm

When I was a lil ole HS student a Nike Executive came in and one of the talking points was Nike made kits. At the time he said Nike does not prioritize it as much as other companies and only see it as a weak means to revenue.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#23 » by Boognish » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:12 pm

britblazerdude wrote:When I was a lil ole HS student a Nike Executive came in and one of the talking points was Nike made kits. At the time he said Nike does not prioritize it as much as other companies and only see it as a weak means to revenue.

I've always assumed it was as much about brand awareness / advertising as the kit money

I'll defer to Nike's business acumen tho

Maybe United can crawl out of debt and clear out the crap in the squad
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#24 » by Boognish » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:13 pm

DD12 wrote:Best club ?!?!?!?

Image >>>
britblazerdude
RealGM
And1: 1,344

Post#25 » by britblazerdude » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:50 pm

Boognish wrote:I've always assumed it was as much about brand awareness / advertising as the kit money

I'll defer to Nike's business acumen tho

Maybe United can crawl out of debt and clear out the crap in the squad

They were saying they know they'll get brand awareness somehow in major sporting events and that they know they don't necessarily have to use that money on the kits. That being said, 5-6 years after that conversation, Nike signed the huge NFL jersey contract.
To Dare Is To Do? 13 League Titles. You've only got 2.
and1GS
RealGM
And1: 2,726
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#26 » by and1GS » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:56 pm

Ted Lasso wrote:That's crazy money, but Nike are now down to Man City and the National Team in England. They've lost Juventus as well. I wonder what they're thinking.

Ya man...they have nothing. Which is a bummer, because they make sick uniforms. Unlike, say, Warrior who makes Pool's unis :lol:
"The dynasty doesn't start with you, it starts after you" :lol: :lol:

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
bryant08
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 27

Post#27 » by bryant08 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:38 pm

A CM, CB and backup fullback (with Evra leaving to Juve) are musts before the end of the window, with a winger next on the priority list. Lots of chatter about Vidal but nothing from any really solid sources, would obviously be the ideal signing in midfield. Rumoured to be interested in Di Maria as well, with PSG looming (looks like they'd have to sell Cavani in order to buy Di Maria to comply with FFP).

Would personally like to see Young/Anderson/Cleverley/Nani moved on, and I'm on the fence about Kagawa/Fellaini/Chicharito. As much as I love Chicha he needs games. Without European football next season it'll be interesting to see how LVG manages the squad, reports saying he'd like a tight 22-23 man group.
and1GS
RealGM
Location: home of 4x champs, 1x AS starter, supporter of checkbook wins and all-time weakest moves

Post#28 » by and1GS » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:45 pm

I think they need to solve the CM problem and either find a way to maximize Fellaini through a new signing or replace him altogether. I love Kagawa, but I don't think he can compensate for what Marouanne lacks in well enough - they need another box-to-box guy since Fellaini likes to go galivanting quite often.

I refuse to believe that a player that huge who was so dominating at Everton is worthless on a bigger stage.

KevinMcreynolds wrote:hopefully JK laid some pipe on the strip as well, gotta get those reps in
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,625

Post#29 » by Next Coming » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:18 pm

and1GS wrote:
Ted Lasso wrote:That's crazy money, but Nike are now down to Man City and the National Team in England. They've lost Juventus as well. I wonder what they're thinking.

Ya man...they have nothing. Which is a bummer, because they make sick uniforms. Unlike, say, Warrior who makes Pool's unis :lol:

You're sponsored by Under Armour lol
and1GS
RealGM

Post#30 » by and1GS » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:21 pm

Next Coming wrote:
and1GS wrote:

I know man, both fake a$$ brands :lol:

Whatever happened to Nike and Adidas, what is this world coming to!

El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#31 » by El Turco » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:27 pm

Boognish wrote:
DD12 wrote:Best club ?!?!?!?

Image >>>

god bless you
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
DD12
Assistant Coach
And1: 953

Post#32 » by DD12 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:30 pm

You are a good boy boognish.
Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by Next Coming » Tue Jul 15, 2014 1:53 am

and1GS wrote:
Next Coming wrote:
and1GS wrote:

We get paid £25M and basically take in all the merchandising but I still wanna bin that. Nike will throw crazy money at Liverpool/Chelsea/Spurs in the next few cycles.

When does your contracts expire?
GMgoran
Banned User
And1: 206

Post#34 » by GMgoran » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:46 pm

"Louis van Gaal to make quick calls on Manchester United fringe players"

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... -contracts
Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#35 » by Ted Lasso » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:54 pm

Next Coming wrote:
and1GS wrote:
Next Coming wrote:

We get paid £25M and basically take in all the merchandising but I still wanna bin that. Nike will throw crazy money at Liverpool/Chelsea/Spurs in the next few cycles.

2017. Chelsea just signed a 10 year extension, so i imagine Nike might target Liverpool or Tottenham. I'd buy every Nike Tottenham kit.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#36 » by and1GS » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:01 pm

Ted Lasso wrote:
Next Coming wrote:
and1GS wrote:

2017. Chelsea just signed a 10 year extension, so i imagine Nike might target Liverpool or Tottenham. I'd buy every Nike Tottenham kit.

Nike and Liverpool kits would be sick if Nike made them. Instead, we'll get **** Puma again.

Ted Lasso
General Manager

Post#37 » by Ted Lasso » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:12 pm

and1GS wrote:
Ted Lasso wrote:
Next Coming wrote:

Nike and Liverpool kits would be sick if Nike made them. Instead, we'll get **** Puma again.

Heh, we ditched Puma at the perfect time. They used to make some decent, understated kits for us. Now it's one horror show after another. And thankfully they won't go for us again as long as they've got Arsenal.

Then again, Under Armour is not all that much better.
and1GS
RealGM

Post#38 » by and1GS » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Ted Lasso wrote:
and1GS wrote:
Ted Lasso wrote:

Heh, we ditched Puma at the perfect time. They used to make some decent, understated kits for us. Now it's one horror show after another. And thankfully they won't go for us again as long as they've got Arsenal.

Then again, Under Armour is not all that much better.

Under Armour is just so...bland. Our second kit is the worst shade of blue you can have for a football uni and our home is the same classic one...but with no collar?

Don't even get me started on our **** sponsor HP...

FWIW I liked our third kit from 2 years back. The half black half gray one.

Next Coming
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#39 » by Next Coming » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:08 pm

We just signed a 4 year deal with Warrior yuno but if Nike pays us that gwap we should cancel that contract.
GMgoran
Banned User
And1: 206

Post#40 » by GMgoran » Wed Jul 16, 2014 8:47 am

Next Coming wrote:We just signed a 4 year deal with Warrior yuno but if Nike pays us that gwap we should cancel that contract.

We have signed the "Warrior" deal in 2012, and it is a 6-year deal ... The good thing about the deal is that it is not performance related, so we will get the £25 million per year from "Warrior" regardless of our performances ... However, the best part of the deal is that we have full control of all non-branded merchandising (products outside the usual kit range), and we are also free to open club stores wherever we choose ... According to the financial reports, we generate another £25-30 million per year from the non-branded merchandising and from the club stores ... Of course, a big company like "NIke" or "Adidas" would never agree to such a deal ... The only reason why we've got such a deal with "Warrior" was because they needed the LFC brand to promote them as a new company in the football market ...

Return to The General Soccer Board