The coaching merry go rounds.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Re: 2019-20 Spanish La Liga Discussion Thread 

Post#22 » by ecuhus1981 » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:32 pm

Unai Emery is a good manager, I'm glad he's getting another opportunity.

At times, I didn't think that Simeone would survive this campaign. His decisions seemed out of touch with the squads talents, and we were throwing away points against bottom feeders. But as always, El Cholo found enough foot soldiers to run through a wall for him, and we were the 2nd-hottest club after the coronavirus break. This ensured our 3rd-place domestic finish, and we're still alive in the Champions League after defeating the juggernaut of England, Liverpool. I don't want to dream too big, but IF his $127mil project Joao Felix can find form in his native Portugal, Diego might have his job as long as he wants it,

Zidane has certainly brought the best out of Real once again. Somehow, I feel that his personnel demands are going to catch up to him.

And Setien... don't get me started!
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#23 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Mon Nov 9, 2020 5:51 am

Hello? Anybody in here?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#24 » by The_Brecht » Mon Nov 9, 2020 11:49 am

3 pens and a own goal.
This qualifies as an off day, right? :D
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,488

Post#25 » by Foye » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:44 pm

Carrasco torpedizing ter Stegen‘s career lmao
That nutmeg was freaking sick.
Foye

Post#26 » by Foye » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:59 pm

Barca number #9 was worn by the likes of:
- Suarez
- Zlatan
- Eto‘o
- Ronaldo
- Romario
- Cruyff

And now? Who the hell is this Martin Braitewhite (whatever spelling)? What is wrong with him that this scrub even thinks about choosing this iconic number with exactly zero career accomplishments?

Perfectly sums up everything that is going wrong for Barca in recent years. Sad to see.
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#27 » by aggerrard » Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:44 am

Foye wrote:Barca number #9 was worn by the likes of:
- Suarez
- Zlatan
- Eto‘o
- Ronaldo
- Romario
- Cruyff

And now? Who the hell is this Martin Braitewhite (whatever spelling)? What is wrong with him that this scrub even thinks about choosing this iconic number with exactly zero career accomplishments?

Perfectly sums up everything that is going wrong for Barca in recent years. Sad to see.

As someone who watched him alot back in the days when he played in Denmark - and now for the national team. He is SO FAR from the level you would expect of someone playing for Barcelona. He is starting every game for Denmark despite being trash - 99% is the fact he plays for Barcelona. I mean, how dare you bench someone who plays for Barcelona for someone who plays for Bologna?
Foye

Post#28 » by Foye » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:43 pm

aggerrard wrote:
Foye wrote:Barca number #9 was worn by the likes of:
- Suarez
- Zlatan
- Eto‘o
- Ronaldo
- Romario
- Cruyff

As someone who watched him alot back in the days when he played in Denmark - and now for the national team. He is SO FAR from the level you would expect of someone playing for Barcelona. He is starting every game for Denmark despite being trash - 99% is the fact he plays for Barcelona. I mean, how dare you bench someone who plays for Barcelona for someone who plays for Bologna?

I mean the funny part about it is that he actually received #9 when Suarez was dealt to Atletico this summer. All that after a disappointing 2nd leg last season where he barely touched the grass.
So when he put in that request for #9, you kind of would expect someone at Barcelona to tell him "unless you start scoring some goals immediately, we will rather sign the Bernabeu greenkeeper to be our new #9."
But they actually gave #9 to him. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Foye

Post#29 » by Foye » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:29 pm

Barca letting Suarez leave to Atletico seems really the move that decided the title race this year.

Atletico already 10 points clear of Real and Barca with a game behind.

Messi will most likely leave in summer because Barca can't even afford to pay him anymore.
Incredible f*ck up by the management to not sell him last year when they would've gotten some money to restore their finances rather than having to throw 110 mil. a season for an aging dinosaur.

Feel like Barca are on the brink of bankruptcy and will need a bailout from someone.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#30 » by HIF » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:39 pm

Foye wrote:Barca letting Suarez leave to Atletico seems really the move that decided the title race this year.

Messi will most likely leave in summer because Barca can't even afford to pay him anymore.
Incredible f*ck up by the management to not sell him last year when they would've gotten some money to restore their finances rather than having to throw 110 mil. a season for an aging dinosaur.

Feel like Barca are on the brink of bankruptcy and will need a bailout from someone.

Quite funny to see them looking at the free of contract players for next summer.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Foye

Post#31 » by Foye » Tue Feb 2, 2021 3:44 pm

HIF wrote:
Foye wrote:Barca letting Suarez leave to Atletico seems really the move that decided the title race this year.

Quite funny to see them looking at the free of contract players for next summer.

I mean that 2:8 against Bayern from last UCL season was much more a marching band rather than a wake-up call that they need to shake up things badly, right?
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#32 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:56 am

The title race in La Liga is heating up, with my Atletico side squandering much of their massive midseason lead. They still hold a 6-point advantage over Barcelona with 12 domestic matches remaining, including a head to head. FiveThirtyEight currently gives us nearly identical 44% odds of winning the league, while Real cleans up the remaining 12% chance.
-- Steve Martin
Foye

Post#33 » by Foye » Sat Mar 13, 2021 8:02 pm

ecuhus1981 wrote:The title race in La Liga is heating up, with my Atletico side squandering much of their massive midseason lead. They still hold a 6-point advantage over Barcelona with 12 domestic matches remaining, including a head to head. FiveThirtyEight currently gives us nearly identical 44% odds of winning the league, while Real cleans up the remaining 12% chance.

Seems like Getafe are coming just at the right time.

Last 16 matches Atletico vs. Getafe:
15 wins, 1 draw and 31:0 goals.
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#34 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:06 pm

Foye wrote:
ecuhus1981 wrote:The title race in La Liga is heating up, with my Atletico side squandering much of their massive midseason lead. They still hold a 6-point advantage over Barcelona with 12 domestic matches remaining, including a head to head. FiveThirtyEight currently gives us nearly identical 44% odds of winning the league, while Real cleans up the remaining 12% chance.

Seems like Getafe are coming just at the right time.

Last 16 matches Atletico vs. Getafe:
15 wins, 1 draw and 31:0 goals.

I wish we (Atletico) could have pulled off a win here. The recipe for average squads to beat us is to choke us with our own possession %, which they did today. I don't believe that we are as much a "negative football" club as we were 6 years ago, but we still look very ordinary against a parked bus.

We have the talent to unlock those sorts of defenses, now we need our manager to adapt.
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#35 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:17 am

Well, I'll continue to breathe life into this thread! We can just pretend the whole Super League thing didn't happen, right? OK, back to domestic affairs...

The La Liga race is even tighter now, with the top 4 teams separated by only 6 points, and 6 or 7 matches to go. Atleti still hold a slim lead, but FiveThirtyEight and other predictive models have Barcelona overtaking us. How do YOU predict it will unfold? Here's what I see for each club:

SEVILLA (67pts) - win vs Granada / draw vs Bilbao / draw @ Real Madrid / draw vs Valladolid / loss @ Villarreal / win vs Alaves = 76pts

BARCELONA (68pts) - draw @ Villarreal / win vs Granada / draw @ Valencia / draw vs Atletico Madrid / win @ Levante / win vs Celta Vigo / win @ Eibar = 83pts

REAL MADRID (70pts) - win vs Real Betis / win vs Osasuna / draw vs Sevilla / win @ Granada / draw @ Bilbao / win vs Villarreal = 84pts

ATLETICO MADRID (73pts) - draw @ Bilbao / win @ Elche / draw @ Barcelona / win vs Sociedad / win vs Osasuna / win @ Valladolid = 85pts

What can I say, I'm a sucker for a happy ending! AUPA ATLETI!!!
-- Steve Martin
ecuhus1981
RealGM

Post#36 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue May 4, 2021 2:53 am

And then there were (basically) 3.

Atletico, Real and Barcelona all dropped points in week 33, which theoretically opened the door for Sevilla to leapfrog into the Top 3 by the end of season. However, all of the former 3 held serve this week, while Sevilla lost at home to Bilbao. This leaves them 4 points off of Real and Barcelona, with 4 matches to go. Mathematically, they can still challenge, but the chances are slim, especially needing to take points from Real at their house this weekend.

Atletico travels to Barcelona as well, so the entire Top 3 could turn on its head after those two matches! I still predict that all 4 teams will come away with a single point, further intensifying the last 3 weeks. Are you excited yet?
-- Steve Martin
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#37 » by The_Brecht » Sat May 22, 2021 4:27 pm

Both Madrid clubs are behind.
Hilarious.

- Dust means thirsty.
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#38 » by The_Brecht » Sat May 22, 2021 5:16 pm

Benzema 1-1 neutralised by var.
Same moment Atletico 1-1.

Final day of the season is always a rush.

- Dust means thirsty.
The_Brecht
Starter

Post#39 » by The_Brecht » Sat May 22, 2021 5:52 pm

Well deserved champions, Atlético.

- Dust means thirsty.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#40 » by Baphomet » Sun May 23, 2021 5:56 pm

Just wanted to congratulate Atletico and Kieran Trippier on the title win. Good player who was let go from Spurs far too soon.

Return to The General Soccer Board