Should they give the title to Liverpool if....?

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,506

Re: Should they give the title to Liverpool if....? 

Post#21 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Apr 30, 2020 4:07 pm

HIF wrote:I just don't understand these decisions. Ligue 1 has now been cancelled (by the govt?).

We're not all having our lives cancelled and started again after the lockdown is lifted. Carry on from where we left off and finish the seasons. Delay european competition for a year if necessary. Let the leagues finish and then decide if they start a shortened version or whatever for the new season.

Foye wrote:I think we are at a point where it makes no sense to resume any domestic season.
All involved countries are still far away from regular life.
The only ones denying that are those that are losing billions from tv and sponsor deals but still have to pay the ridiculous wages.

They need to play games without fans. Just wrap this thing up.

They can continue to test players/coaches. Not have any contact with fans. Finish out the season. It's not rocket science. It can be done.
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
sovietchild
Sophomore
And1: 37

Post#22 » by sovietchild » Fri May 1, 2020 12:59 am

The_Brecht wrote:
sovietchild wrote:English football is much more competitive. Also, Leeds United is few games away from securing promotion. How can they just throw everything away?

AZ and Ajax were on equal points.
Cambuur was 13 points clear in the second division.

sovietchild wrote:According to Transfermarkt, Liverpool is worth more than entire Dutch league.

What's your point?

The point I was trying to make is English football worth a lot more than Dutch league. Dutch league is just a local league compare to English football who are global.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,488

Post#23 » by Foye » Fri May 1, 2020 9:14 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
HIF wrote:I just don't understand these decisions. Ligue 1 has now been cancelled (by the govt?).

We're not all having our lives cancelled and started again after the lockdown is lifted. Carry on from where we left off and finish the seasons. Delay european competition for a year if necessary. Let the leagues finish and then decide if they start a shortened version or whatever for the new season.

Foye wrote:I think we are at a point where it makes no sense to resume any domestic season.
The only ones denying that are those that are losing billions from tv and sponsor deals but still have to pay the ridiculous wages.

They can continue to test players/coaches. Not have any contact with fans. Finish out the season. It's not rocket science. It can be done.

It will lead to all sorts of social distancing violations.
Fans will just meet in front of the stadium of they cant get inside. It happened when the crisis started and it will happen again.

In addition you can basically lock down the season again if only a single player has covid19 because the whole team (and those they played against) will have to be isolated.

It really does not make any sense.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#24 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 1, 2020 1:21 pm

Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

Fans will just meet in front of the stadium of they cant get inside. It happened when the crisis started and it will happen again.

In addition you can basically lock down the season again if only a single player has covid19 because the whole team (and those they played against) will have to be isolated.

If you keep players isolated (together). Test everyone beforehand. It can be accomplished. Otherwise, play won't resume til there is a vaccine in a years time. That's far too long. Too much money is at stake here.
Foye

Post#25 » by Foye » Fri May 1, 2020 3:51 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

If you keep players isolated (together). Test everyone beforehand. It can be accomplished. Otherwise, play won't resume til there is a vaccine in a years time. That's far too long. Too much money is at stake here.

You cant keep them away from their families for months.

It will take another month or two until the first big wave is under control in most countries. Makes no sense to resume anything until them.

And by that time...they are already behind too far in the schedule to finish the season.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#26 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 1, 2020 3:56 pm

Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Foye wrote:

periodically you sure can.

Finish the season. However long that takes. Take a Summer break. Then get started up again in the Fall. Come up with a testing regimen for every player, coach, official, etc. Have every team stay in a hotel/Housing away from the public. There are many restrictions & guidelines teams can follow. So that this thing ultimately succeeds.

Your not going to have fans in the stands this year. This is the next best alternative.
Foye

Post#27 » by Foye » Fri May 1, 2020 10:44 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:If you keep players isolated (together). Test everyone beforehand. It can be accomplished. Otherwise, play won't resume til there is a vaccine in a years time. That's far too long. Too much money is at stake here.

Finish the season. However long that takes. Take a Summer break. Then get started up again in the Fall. Come up with a testing regimen for every player, coach, official, etc. Have every team stay in a hotel/Housing away from the public. There are many restrictions & guidelines teams can follow. So that this thing ultimately succeeds.

Your not going to have fans in the stands this year. This is the next best alternative.

Maybe its possible in the US. Certainly not in Europe for an extended period of time, though.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#28 » by Cactus Jack » Fri May 1, 2020 11:59 pm

Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Foye wrote:

Maybe its possible in the US. Certainly not in Europe for an extended period of time, though.

Such doom & gloom. :lol:

I think they'll certainly try in England.

These leagues have a lot on the line as far as $$$ goes. Eventually sports will return. It just takes one league & then the rest will follow.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#29 » by HIF » Sat May 2, 2020 1:31 pm

The_Brecht wrote:

How about this: no 2020/2021 season.

The domestic and European leagues and cups can be finished until december.
Then switch to international football, because there's Nations League and World Cup qualifiers to play.
We end with the European Championships in may/june 2021.

Restart regular football life for the season 21/22.

No thanks.

I'd prefer we cancelled international football forever. These friendlies and nations leagues and even qualifying games are incredibly boring.

I think that the leagues should have been finished as and when possible before starting the next seasons and CL/Europa can be finished before starting their next rounds. If we end up moving seasons a few months does it really matter?
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
HIF
RealGM

Post#30 » by HIF » Sat May 2, 2020 1:34 pm

Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

So are we going to just cancel Football forever then? This virus will stay dangerous until most people are immunised (which we don't even have yet) and of course next year we could have a different strain or another virus.

Control this as well as we can and get back on with life.

HIF
RealGM

Post#31 » by HIF » Sat May 2, 2020 1:38 pm

Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:
Foye wrote:

It will take another month or two until the first big wave is under control in most countries. Makes no sense to resume anything until them.

And by that time...they are already behind too far in the schedule to finish the season.

It'd only take a few weeks to play all the games behind closed doors - 2 games a week is no problem for the handful left.

Not going to happen though.

I'm also finding these high paid footballers who are saying that they won't play rather annoying. They aren't willing to give up their salary and expect the owners to foot the bill which will send some clubs to the wall. I really think that every member of staff at all clubs should be paid the same amount of money (whether cleaner or striker) for the weeks that covid stopped the game. No-one should have to go without food but everyone needs to share the loss.

HIF
RealGM

Post#32 » by HIF » Sat May 2, 2020 1:39 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:
Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:If you keep players isolated (together). Test everyone beforehand. It can be accomplished. Otherwise, play won't resume til there is a vaccine in a years time. That's far too long. Too much money is at stake here.

There are many jobs where people spend a few months away from their family and not just military.

Foye

Post#33 » by Foye » Sat May 2, 2020 3:06 pm

HIF wrote:
Foye wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:They need to play games without fans. Just wrap this thing up.

So are we going to just cancel Football forever then? This virus will stay dangerous until most people are immunised (which we don't even have yet) and of the countries have the situation under control. next year we could have a different strain or another virus.

My personal opinion is...professional football should not return until the average Joe can play football again in his spare time as well. Football first and foremost is a game for the average Joe, not for privileged millionaires.
I would also choose to not watch a WC final involving Germany if I have the opportunity to play myself, though. So, that's just my .2 cent.

Local police control is going as far as removing baskets from basketball courts here...that's been pissing me off lately. I am not endangering anyone if I play an hour of basketball against my brother.
Michael Lucky
RealGM
And1: 6,522

Post#34 » by Michael Lucky » Sat May 2, 2020 8:11 pm

They should considering it was a foregone conclusion.
HIF
RealGM

Post#35 » by HIF » Sun May 3, 2020 8:09 am

Foye wrote:
HIF wrote:
Foye wrote:

So are we going to just cancel Football forever then? This virus will stay dangerous until most people are immunised (which we don't even have yet) and of the countries have the situation under control. next year we could have a different strain or another virus.

My personal opinion is...professional football should not return until the average Joe can play football again in his spare time as well. Football first and foremost is a game for the average Joe, not for privileged millionaires.
I would also choose to not watch a WC final involving Germany if I have the opportunity to play myself, though. So, that's just my .2 cent.

Local police control is going as far as removing baskets from basketball courts here...that's been pissing me off lately. I am not endangering anyone if I play an hour of basketball against my brother.

In my opinion Football and sport in general should not be forfeit for 18 months. Governments are crazy to be stopping all cultural and leisure activities. People are accepting it at the moment but won't for a long time. Life is for living. Sport is important for mental and physical health.

tobysunsfan
Junior
And1: 102

Post#36 » by tobysunsfan » Wed May 6, 2020 1:15 am

They can just do only promotion and no relegation, leagues will already be messed up next season and the subsequent season because of the Qatar World Cup. It might be a logistics nightmare, but that's just how it is. I think only promotion is the fairest thing, or you could do only the top team gets promoted and only the bottom team gets relegated. Relegation costs a team a LOT of money, those teams are going to might tooth and nail to stay in the league.

I'm also of the view that there's no rush to get back, it will come back when it's possible to, there's no point in rushing back. What if a player tests positive and you don't catch it? Will you stop the league again? Where are you going to source these test kits? These kits are already in short supply, we need them for civilian cases. There are too many questions in my mind to rush back.
HIF
RealGM

Post#37 » by HIF » Wed May 6, 2020 7:51 am

tobysunsfan wrote:They can just do only promotion and no relegation, leagues will already be messed up next season and the subsequent season because of the Qatar World Cup. It might be a logistics nightmare, but that's just how it is. I think only promotion is the fairest thing, or you could do only the top team gets promoted and only the bottom team gets relegated. Relegation costs a team a LOT of money, those teams are going to might tooth and nail to stay in the league.

I'm also of the view that there's no rush to get back, it will come back when it's possible to, there's no point in rushing back. What if a player tests positive and you don't catch it? Will you stop the league again? Where are you going to source these test kits? These kits are already in short supply, we need them for civilian cases. There are too many questions in my mind to rush back.

It's a ridiculous idea.

Unlike US Sports Relegation and promotion is an integral part of european sport's philosophy. It is essential to our "way of life". The idea that the PL should have a late starting season with 15% more clubs that need to get through an already packed schedule is stupid.

We need to complete the season behind closed doors and on TV. If clubs can't decide on that then they need to decide how to agree with the bottom clubs getting relegated.

aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#38 » by aggerrard » Fri May 8, 2020 1:30 pm

Foye wrote:
HIF wrote:
Foye wrote:

What do you mean? - Football as a proffesion and football as a hobby are two different things. If the local salesman can't open his shop, how does he survive? Football clubs are the exact same, just with a higher level of economy. The local salesman might lose 30k in three months of lockdown - meanwhile football clubs are losing tens of millions. Football clubs are businesses and they are paying a high price, just like all other businesses in lockdown.

I don't know the exact restrictions in Germany - but in Denmark, we are allowed groups of 10 people atm. Those restrictions doesn't count proffesions, workplaces. Football is a workplace, for those having it as their proffesion, so (in Denmark atleast) they should be allowed to assemble more than 10 people at a time, when the given proffesion (football in this case, likely pro sport in general) are allowed to reopen. In Denmark that date is 18th of may - so pro sport are allowed to start again in 10 days - and since it's a workplace, they can assemble more than 10 people.

I am also certain pro sport in general are important for most societies. Speaking for myself, i am on the verge of a breakdown without football and sport in the television.
Foye

Post#39 » by Foye » Fri May 8, 2020 3:15 pm

aggerrard wrote:
Foye wrote:
HIF wrote:

What do you mean? - Football as a proffesion and football as a hobby are two different things. If the local salesman can't open his shop, how does he survive? Football clubs are the exact same, just with a higher level of economy. The local salesman might lose 30k in three months of lockdown - meanwhile football clubs are losing tens of millions. Football clubs are businesses and they are paying a high price, just like all other businesses in lockdown.

I don't know the exact restrictions in Germany - but in Denmark, we are allowed groups of 10 people atm. Those restrictions doesn't count proffesions, workplaces. Football is a workplace, for those having it as their proffesion, so (in Denmark atleast) they should be allowed to assemble more than 10 people at a time, when the given proffesion (football in this case, likely pro sport in general) are allowed to reopen. In Denmark that date is 18th of may - so pro sport are allowed to start again in 10 days - and since it's a workplace, they can assemble more than 10 people.

I am also certain pro sport in general are important for most societies. Speaking for myself, i am on the verge of a breakdown without football and sport in the television.

If the local salesman can't open his shop - ideally he has build enough reserves as part of his business activities to cover a sufficient period of time without revenue. If you can not survive for 3 or 4 months without revenue...the question your local salesman has to ask himself is: Is my business even profitable enough? Cash is king.

In football...many clubs are selling their revenue before it is even arrived on their bank account only to acquire new players. The salaries and players consultant fees are crazy. The transfer system is broken. Simple as that.
I don't feel bad for clubs already nearing bankruptcy because they can't generate money for two months, sorry.
Simply bad management if they go broke in such a short period given the amounts they have been getting in tv revenue and sponsoring deals.

Just for a comparison: I am a regular office worker about 5 years into the business. I can easily live for two years without making a single freakin dollar. I don't even have to sell my car or move into a cheaper apartment. If I do - we are looking at 3+ years without making a single dollar.

Regarding the last part: Yes, pro sport is important for society, but so is leisure time sport. For me personally, leisure time sport is more important than pro sport.
aggerrard
Sixth Man
And1: 949

Post#40 » by aggerrard » Fri May 8, 2020 3:46 pm

Foye wrote:
aggerrard wrote:
Foye wrote:

If the local salesman can't open his shop - ideally he has build enough reserves as part of his business activities to cover a sufficient period of time without revenue. If you can not survive for 3 or 4 months without revenue...the question your local salesman has to ask himself is: Is my business even profitable enough? Cash is king.

In football...many clubs are selling their revenue before it is even arrived on their bank account only to acquire new players. The salaries and players consultant fees are crazy. The transfer system is broken. Simple as that.
I don't feel bad for clubs already nearing bankruptcy because they can't generate money for two months, sorry.
Simply bad management if they go broke in such a short period given the amounts they have been getting in tv revenue and sponsoring deals.

Just for a comparison: I am a regular office worker about 5 years into the business. I can easily live for two years without making a single freakin dollar. I don't even have to sell my car or move into a cheaper apartment. If I do - we are looking at 3+ years without making a single dollar.

Regarding the last part: Yes, pro sport is important for society, but so is leisure time sport. For me personally, leisure time sport is more important than pro sport.

Good for you, that you're doing well. You are in the minority. Most can't keep the buisness running with expenses without any income for a year - not even half a year i'd say. In order to sustain these businesses, the state have to compensate them. We are looking right into a worse financial crisis than the one we had in 07-09, if we keep society shut down for much longer.

So of course. Just like the local salesman slowly are opening his buisness again, pro sports should open up slowly again aswell. It's essential if we want to avoid a huge financial crisis. Then the large assemblies can wait - so the transmission rate can stay stable.

Return to The General Soccer Board