Soccer Journalist Grant Wahl dies in Qatar

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Fairview4Life
RealGM
And1: 31,781

Re: Soccer Journalist Grant Wahl dies in Qatar 

Post#21 » by Fairview4Life » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:21 am

clyde21 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:Who tf is NDTV? Sounds like one of those clickbait social media scam accounts.

it's an Indian news outlet

Then I stand by my statement.
9. Similarly, IF THOU HAST SPENT the entire offseason predicting that thy team will stink, thou shalt not gloat, nor even be happy, shouldst thou turn out to be correct. Realistic analysis is fine, but be a fan first, a smug smarty-pants second.
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#22 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:25 am

Fairview4Life wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
Fairview4Life wrote:Who tf is NDTV? Sounds like one of those clickbait social media scam accounts.

Then I stand by my statement.

?

it's not a 'social media scam account'.

NDTV is a an Indian media company and is publicly traded on the NSE, and considering that lady is Indian, that's the news sources she will most closely follow.

so im not sure what statement you 'stand by'.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#23 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:36 am

https://www.wivb.com/sports/ap-sports/ap-soccer-writer-grant-wahl-dies-at-world-cup-match-in-qatar/

“My body finally broke down on me. Three weeks of little sleep, high stress and lots of work can do that to you,” Wahl wrote. “What had been a cold over the last 10 days turned into something more severe on the night of the USA-Netherlands game, and I could feel my upper chest take on a new level of pressure and discomfort.”

“I went into the medical clinic at the main media center today, and they said I probably have bronchitis. They gave me a course of antibiotics and some heavy-duty cough syrup, and I’m already feeling a bit better just a few hours later. But still: No bueno,” he wrote.
Pharmcat
RealGM
And1: 19,074

Post#24 » by Pharmcat » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:01 am

clyde21 wrote:

Didn’t it get bought out by one of modi’s connection?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#25 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 2:09 am

Pharmcat wrote:
clyde21 wrote:

Didn’t it get bought out by one of modi’s connection?

yea by Adani, like 30% or something
clyde21
RealGM

Post#26 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:16 am

Read on Twitter
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#27 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:39 am

Man looked like he was worked to death

RIP again.

Maybe it was just his passion for his job. Some people are so passionate about what they do that they'll let it kill them. Wahl was one of the first soccer heads on radio/podcasts in the USA.

But maybe he was just overworked... Work culture is getting insane nowadays. And with the labor shortage pretty much hitting all sectors, people are expected to work long extra hours with lots of stress. Looks like it's even hitting people who were viewed as having the "easy" / "cushy" jobs.

Looks like he even said he wasn't feeling well but I'm guessing he was still expected to do his job while sick

Sent from my Pixel 4a using RealGM mobile app
Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#28 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 11, 2022 4:46 am

Not sure the Qataris would be so dumb to whack somebody of his status

They let that Italian go unscathed, and he went as far as actually invading the pitch during a game with a rainbow flag.

Free Palestine
Stannis
RealGM

Post#29 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:02 am

Mamba81p wrote:
JDR720 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not saying they killed him, but this is one hell of a coincidence if they didn't.

Journalists are not safe in that country:

We know what happened to Khashoggi, so we know these regimes go to great lengths to do something like this.
Don't think these comparisons make sense tbh

A danish journalist getting harassed and having his camera broken means guest journalists are at risk of getting assassinated by Qatar?

Khashoggi was a Saudi and assassinated by the Saudi government. Not right by any means, but this is probably why they felt they could get away with doing something like this.

I know Qatar and Saudi Arabia border each other, and both are Arabic. But they operate quite differently, and they actually have their own beef. Can't paint the two with a broad brush.

If you assassinate somebody like Wahl, you are flirting with some really bad repercussions. Especially if you are Qatar, and not Saudi Arabia

Free Palestine
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,236

Post#30 » by Mamba81p » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:13 am

Stannis wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:
JDR720 wrote:
Read on Twitter

Not saying they killed him, but this is one hell of a coincidence if they didn't.

We know what happened to Khashoggi, so we know these regimes go to great lengths to do something like this.

A danish journalist getting harassed and having his camera broken means guest journalists are at risk of getting assassinated by Qatar?

Khashoggi was a Saudi and assassinated by the Saudi government. Not right by any means, but this is probably why they felt they could get away with doing something like this.

I know Qatar and Saudi Arabia border each other, and both are Arabic. But they operate quite differently, and they actually have their own beef. Can't paint the two with a broad brush.

If you assassinate somebody like Wahl, you are flirting with some really bad repercussions. Especially if you are Qatar, and not Saudi Arabia

It doesn’t look like a foul play, but I disagree that Qatar would have faced harsher repercussions than Saudi for something like Khashoggi.

Qatari govt would have been extremely stupid to do something like this, and it doesn’t make sense for any sane/reasonable person, but I don’t think we are dealing with geniuses here.
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,391

Post#31 » by JDR720 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:17 am

Qatar is a "Major non-NATO ally" of the US. So I highly doubt they'd be held accountable even if they did anything to Wahl.

I mean hell, they literally used slaves to build these stadiums and nobody bats an eye
clyde21
RealGM

Post#32 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:53 am

JDR720 wrote:Qatar is a "Major non-NATO ally" of the US. So I highly doubt they'd be held accountable even if they did anything to Wahl.

I mean hell, they literally used slaves to build these stadiums and nobody bats an eye

i wonder...did you use an iPhone or a MacBook Pro to clutch your pearls about this?
clyde21
RealGM

Post#33 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:54 am

Stannis wrote:Man looked like he was worked to death

RIP again.

Maybe it was just his passion for his job. Some people are so passionate about what they do that they'll let it kill them. Wahl was one of the first soccer heads on radio/podcasts in the USA.

But maybe he was just overworked... Work culture is getting insane nowadays. And with the labor shortage pretty much hitting all sectors, people are expected to work long extra hours with lots of stress. Looks like it's even hitting people who were viewed as having the "easy" / "cushy" jobs.

Looks like he even said he wasn't feeling well but I'm guessing he was still expected to do his job while sick

if he was overworked, the pure irony of him getting worked to death while writing about worker rights in Qatar.

RIP to the guy.
Stannis
RealGM

Post#34 » by Stannis » Sun Dec 11, 2022 7:05 am

Honestly, I'm surprised this topic was posted on the General Soccer section in such fashion, and not the CA forum instead.

It wasn't geared to be a tribute to Grant Wahl. Looking at the OP and the posts following, it honestly looks like there's just demand for a hate-related murder.

This kind of stuff is just as bad as people blaming Wahl's death on the Covid-vaccine with little to no evidence.

The internets never ceases to amaze me. Body was still warm, but people were ready to push their agendas and theories.
Free Palestine
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#35 » by El Turco » Sun Dec 11, 2022 3:41 pm

Stannis wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:
JDR720 wrote:
Read on Twitter

it is not painting arabs with a broad brush, it is painting authoritarian and theoratic regimes with a broad brush. if something like this happened in russia people would have similar questions, we know these governments dont like dissent and free press and willing to go to great lengths to suppress them.

while assassination here is a speculation, qatari government's harrassment of press is very much real. and we already knew they dont really value human life very much, so it is very normal for people raise questions when something like this happens.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
MaliBrah
RealGM
And1: 4,372

Post#36 » by MaliBrah » Sun Dec 11, 2022 5:47 pm

El Turco wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:

it is not painting arabs with a broad brush, it is painting authoritarian and theoratic regimes with a broad brush. if something like this happened in russia people would have similar questions, we know these governments dont like dissent and free press and willing to go to great lengths to suppress them.

while assassination here is a speculation, qatari government's harrassment of press is very much real. and we already knew they dont really value human life very much, so it is very normal for people raise questions when something like this happens.

Is it normal if I start theorizing that the Americans did it themselves to push their political and other agendas like they've done countless times throughout history? Wouldn't put it past the CIA.

RIP to Grant Wahl
El Turco
GOTB Fantasy Basketball Ultimate 2x Champion
And1: 20,561

Post#37 » by El Turco » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:05 pm

MaliBrah wrote:
El Turco wrote:
Stannis wrote:Don't think these comparisons make sense tbh

Is it normal if I start theorizing that the Americans did it themselves to push their political and other agendas like they've done countless times throughout history? Wouldn't put it past the CIA.

RIP to Grant Wahl

you are free to do whatever you want. unlike qatar, you can talk crap about america as much as you want while living in america and posting on an american site.

alex jones had himself quite a lucrative career with crackpot cia theories.
TheLowlySquire wrote:Wow, Arda! Huge!

Howard Mass wrote:Arda is not a terrorist. Arda is a good person.
clyde21
RealGM

Post#38 » by clyde21 » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:21 pm

El Turco wrote:
Stannis wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:

does Qatar have a track record of going around and murdering western journalists I'm unaware of?

a lot of weird, and quite frankly completely misinformed takes floating around in this thread.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#39 » by Baphomet » Sun Dec 11, 2022 6:29 pm

Stannis wrote:Honestly, I'm surprised this topic was posted on the General Soccer section in such fashion, and not the CA forum instead.

It wasn't geared to be a tribute to Grant Wahl. Looking at the OP and the posts following, it honestly looks like there's just demand for a hate-related murder.

This kind of stuff is just as bad as people blaming Wahl's death on the Covid-vaccine with little to no evidence.

The internets never ceases to amaze me. Body was still warm, but people were ready to push their agendas and theories.

Yeah, I have to agree that this isn't really appropriate for this board. I tried to move it to the Current Affairs board but I don't have the authority, so I thought I'd see how it panned out for a day or two.

I would encourage OP to try the thread again in the CA board. But for now, due to the (admittedly unavoidable) political direction of discussion, I'm going to lock this due to lack of relevance to this forum.

Return to The General Soccer Board