2023-24 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

-Luke-
Starter
And1: 4,077

Re: 2023-24 German Bundesliga Discussion Thread 

Post#21 » by -Luke- » Sat Aug 12, 2023 3:32 pm

Foye wrote:
-Luke- wrote:Oh boy, that's going to be a long season...

First game of the season is always tough but Bremens defense doesn’t exactly seem to be quality.

Gesendet von iPhone mit RealGM Forums

Yes, our defense was already among the worst in the league after the good start last season. Not much has changed apparently. First league game against Bayern next Friday. I hope this does not start a negative spiral from the beginning.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,488

Post#22 » by Foye » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:20 pm

1:0 victory at Elversberg.

Decent start to the season but lots of work to do…
Foye

Post#23 » by Foye » Sat Aug 12, 2023 6:58 pm

-Luke- wrote:
Foye wrote:
-Luke- wrote:Oh boy, that's going to be a long season...

First game of the season is always tough but Bremens defense doesn’t exactly seem to be quality.

Gesendet von iPhone mit RealGM Forums

Yes, our defense was already among the worst in the league after the good start last season. Not much has changed apparently. First league game against Bayern next Friday. I hope this does not start a negative spiral from the beginning.

Tbh I have a hard time imagining one of Bremen defenders make it into Mainz starting XI.

That’s pretty shocking given that we are a mid-table team.

Leipzig leading 1-0 in the super cup.
Harry Kane staying without a trophy?
Foye

Post#24 » by Foye » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:20 pm

Kane is going to be absolutely furious with the quality of Kimmichs corner kicks
MetalFingaz
Veteran
And1: 2,834

Post#25 » by MetalFingaz » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:30 pm

That goal from Olmo :o
It's time for 5 refs.
Foye

Post#26 » by Foye » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:31 pm

MetalFingaz wrote:That goal from Olmo :o

Crazy goal.

Shame he plays for such an unlikeable club.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#27 » by Baphomet » Sat Aug 12, 2023 7:37 pm

Bayern's defence is a clown show.

Amazing spin control to beat the two defenders by Olmo.
Foye

Post#28 » by Foye » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:23 pm

Baphomet wrote:Bayern's defence is a clown show.

Amazing spin control to beat the two defenders by Olmo.

The main problem they have imho is that they are way too vulnerable on the counter attack Kimmich is the main man to blame here.
Hard for any defender in the world when the opponent is allowed to run with speed at your defense line without any sort of resistance from the defensive midfield.

Even if the goals weren’t all from counter attack. It is way easier for Leipzig to gain 50-60 meters in possession than it is for Munich.
Foye

Post#29 » by Foye » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:35 pm

The chance from Sesko right there was exactly what I meant. Hard for any defense if there is no pressure on the passer in midfield.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#30 » by Baphomet » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:39 pm

Well, Bayern looked absolutely awful. Like Foye says, all it takes is one or two passes and they're completely open and vulnerable to a break.

And at least Spurs fans won't have to hear about Kane winning a trophy in one day.
MetalFingaz
Veteran

Post#31 » by MetalFingaz » Sat Aug 12, 2023 8:45 pm

Don't think Bayern's front 4 work particularly hard out of possession, both fullbacks push far up the pitch, and today's pairing of de Ligt and Upamecano are always ready to make a mistake. Kimmich certainly isn't a destroyer in midfield, but Bayern don't do a lot to support him.

Also very funny that Kane hardly got a touch in 30 minutes.
It's time for 5 refs.
Foye

Post#32 » by Foye » Sat Aug 12, 2023 10:43 pm

MetalFingaz wrote:Don't think Bayern's front 4 work particularly hard out of possession, both fullbacks push far up the pitch, and today's pairing of de Ligt and Upamecano are always ready to make a mistake. Kimmich certainly isn't a destroyer in midfield, but Bayern don't do a lot to support him.

Kimmich likes to jump around everywhere in the opposing half. He needs to be 8, not 6.

They don’t have any quality 6, though.
Laimer expectedly isn’t the solution either. Another offensive minded midfielder.
They need someone like Rodri who emphasizes the defense more than making flashy passes and isn’t trying to play the leader role by kicking every corner kick outside the penalty area.
MetalFingaz
Veteran

Post#33 » by MetalFingaz » Sat Aug 12, 2023 11:25 pm

Foye wrote:
MetalFingaz wrote:Don't think Bayern's front 4 work particularly hard out of possession, both fullbacks push far up the pitch, and today's pairing of de Ligt and Upamecano are always ready to make a mistake. Kimmich certainly isn't a destroyer in midfield, but Bayern don't do a lot to support him.

Kimmich likes to jump around everywhere in the opposing half. He needs to be 8, not 6.

They don’t have any quality 6, though.
Laimer expectedly isn’t the solution either. Another offensive minded midfielder.
They need someone like Rodri who emphasizes the defense more than making flashy passes and isn’t trying to play the leader role by kicking every corner kick outside the penalty area.

Agreed. Unfortunately there's only 1 Rodri. One of the 5 best footballers in the world for my money. They need some sort of solution there.
It's time for 5 refs.
The_Brecht
Starter
And1: 903

Post#34 » by The_Brecht » Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:28 am

Tuchel is a fraud.
Still can't believe they sacked Nagelsmann.
West-Flemish for behinners:

- Dust means thirsty.
Foye

Post#35 » by Foye » Sun Aug 13, 2023 11:36 am

The_Brecht wrote:Tuchel is a fraud.
Still can't believe they sacked Nagelsmann.

Based on what?

Tuchel points per game last season in the Bundesliga: 2.11
Nagelsmann points per game in the Bundesliga last season: 2.08

DFB-Pokal: Ok lost in one of Tuchels first games against Freiburg 2:1. Not good but can happen with a new team.
CL: Steamrolled by City. Bayern current team is not competitive with City.

For the record Nagelsmann in 2021/22:
- Lost to Gladbach 5:0 in the Cup
- Champions League: Eliminated by Villareal

Maybe it is time to admit that the current Bayern team just isn’t that good compared to previous Bayern teams.

Last nights game was pretty dreadful but at the end of the day the Super Cup is only a meaningless preseason trophy.
-Luke-
Starter

Post#36 » by -Luke- » Sun Aug 13, 2023 12:47 pm

I think Bayern's current roster isn't really suited for the style Tuchel wants to play. They need to get rid of either Goretzka or Kimmich and get a real 6. They were interested in Tchouaméni but it doesn't seem to be happening. Also there are too many fair-weather players in the team in my opinion.

@Foye:
No, none of our defenders would be a starter in Mainz. They can be fine inidvidually, but it's more ike a structural problem. We had some bad defenses even in the Naldo/Mertesacker years. No matter who the coach is, no one seems to be able to get a handle on it.
Foye

Post#37 » by Foye » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:51 am

-Luke- wrote:I think Bayern's current roster isn't really suited for the style Tuchel wants to play. They need to get rid of either Goretzka or Kimmich and get a real 6. They were interested in Tchouaméni but it doesn't seem to be happening. Also there are too many fair-weather players in the team in my opinion.

@Foye:
No, none of our defenders would be a starter in Mainz. They can be fine inidvidually, but it's more ike a structural problem. We had some bad defenses even in the Naldo/Mertesacker years. No matter who the coach is, no one seems to be able to get a handle on it.

We could use Ducksch and Füllkrug, though. :lol:

Our offense is not exactly looking strong at the moment.
Ajorque and Onisiwo are the only proven players available.
Weiper and Gruda are great talents but unproven so a bit risky to rely on them as the only backups as long as Burkardt is injured.
One more injury and we have little offensive options left.

When was the last time Werder actually spend money to buy a defender? Ömer Toprak? That one didn't turn out too well.
-Luke-
Starter

Post#38 » by -Luke- » Mon Aug 14, 2023 9:17 am

Foye wrote:
-Luke- wrote:I think Bayern's current roster isn't really suited for the style Tuchel wants to play. They need to get rid of either Goretzka or Kimmich and get a real 6. They were interested in Tchouaméni but it doesn't seem to be happening. Also there are too many fair-weather players in the team in my opinion.

@Foye:

Weiper and Gruda are great talents but unproven so a bit risky to rely on them as the only backups as long as Burkardt is injured.

When was the last time Werder actually spend money to buy a defender? Ömer Toprak? That one didn't turn out too well.

It's always a bit of a thin line. On the one hand you don't want too many players ahead of your young talents so they can get playing time. On the other hand it can be a bit risky, like you said. I haven't seen that much of Weiper, but the little I saw looked very promising.

Toprak was one of the biggest wastes of money for sure. The sad thing is that we had one the biggest talents in Germany at the center-back position in Fabio Chiarodia. But he left for Gladbach this summer. We don't have money anymore but our own home-grown talents aren't getting any chances (ironically, David Philipp, the guy who scored two goals for Viktoria Köln against us on Saturday, is from the Werder youth system).
Foye

Post#39 » by Foye » Mon Aug 14, 2023 6:43 pm

-Luke- wrote:
Foye wrote:

@Foye:

It's always a bit of a thin line. On the one hand you don't want too many players ahead of your young talents so they can get playing time. On the other hand it can be a bit risky, like you said. I haven't seen that much of Weiper, but the little I saw looked very promising.

Toprak was one of the biggest wastes of money for sure. The sad thing is that we had one the biggest talents in Germany at the center-back position in Fabio Chiarodia. But he left for Gladbach this summer. We don't have money anymore but our own home-grown talents aren't getting any chances (ironically, David Philipp, the guy who scored two goals for Viktoria Köln against us on Saturday, is from the Werder youth system).

Actually, I like Gruda more than Weiper at the moment.

Weiper was pretty bad in the preseason. Not sure what the issue is. Maybe coming late due to the NT games.

Werders financial situation still seems quite bad from the relegation two years ago and lack of tv money. I was really surprised to see Werder signed Naby Keita. Allocated a pretty large part of the budget into an injury prone player. High risk move that could be either really good or really bad. He needs to really perform because you could’ve probably signed two decent free agents with his salary.

First Cup round: Bochum, Darmstadt, Bremen and Augsburg eliminated.
Foye

Post#40 » by Foye » Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:14 pm

When I see that Kölns striker duo is Selke / Waldschmidt - I can’t help but feel sorry for them.

Return to The General Soccer Board