European Super League (Indefinitely Suspended)

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Re: European Super League? 

Post#201 » by Baphomet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:29 pm

Read on Twitter
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#202 » by Baphomet » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:33 pm

Read on Twitter

Sometimes you just have to laugh :lol:
JXL
General Manager
And1: 8,523

Post#203 » by JXL » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:33 pm

At first I thought this was about putting Ronaldo with Messi on the same club, but I see its just a couple of greedy owners who just wanted to put the elite clubs outside of Premier. Now, it's backfiring cause that same greed is dismantling this idea. Pitiful.
BIRD UP!
#OGKENOBI

Follow me on X: @sirJXL
Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,237

Post#204 » by Mamba81p » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:35 pm

That didn't last for long, and they didn't achieve any leverage in the negotiations. Actually they lost any leverage for the future. UEFA has the total control now, which is bad news. Bring on all the briberies.
As I said previously they had a bad strategy. What PR firm they hired I don't know, but it was a disaster
ZoLo
Senior
And1: 305

Post#205 » by ZoLo » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:47 pm

So all clubs will die then?
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#206 » by HIF » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:56 pm

Mamba81p wrote:That didn't last for long, and they didn't achieve any leverage in the negotiations. Actually they lost any leverage for the future. UEFA has the total control now, which is bad news. Bring on all the briberies.
As I said previously they had a bad strategy. What PR firm they hired I don't know, but it was a disaster

See you in the football forum then. :wink:
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Stribor
Pro Prospect
And1: 500

Post#207 » by Stribor » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:02 pm

Jack Dempsey wrote:
Stribor wrote:I wonder what will happen if the uefa stands opposed and banishes clubs. All the transfers depend on the European laws which promote free quitting. That would probably mean that legally you could just offer better money to player and he could go to any direction without club compensation, which would be completely in line with European judicial system, Big 12 have more money than others, but others are many and if they do not need to compensate, a lot of teams could just offer a better salary to one player, if they can avoid compensation. This fight could be really interesting, but it depends on the proposition that UEFA really expels those clubs completely, and there is a question if italian or spanish leagues will have guts to stand out to big three of their countries.

The players would still have valid contracts with their UEFA teams. Voiding those contracts won't be that easy. NBA teams can't just sign Europeans whenever they want either. In most cases, the NBA teams pay the allowed amount of money (it used to be $500 000) as a compensation fee and the player pays the rest by himself to get out of his contract.

As I understanding that is also gentleman's agreement which also allows NBA players to play in fiba championships and Olympics. If the superleague goes to war against uefa, I do not see a gentleman's agreement. There was a law suite in front of the EU court of law, about compensations in buying and selling players, which was hard since EU laws should allow every persone to break its contract and finds another job. Sports were exempted on the grounds of putting money in youth development and the fact that they would go in another club which is under same umbrella of uefa. Would the court decide that the rich a-holes can just continue the scheme? It may well be that on the rule of player development the teams that produced player can get some compensation while the players can move from superleague to uefa without any compensation for the superleague (unless they developed players, which is mostly not the case since they are just buying from others (except perhaps Barcelona). I think even in USA if you would form ABA agin players could move between NBA and ABA without the compensation for the clubs?
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,488

Post#208 » by Foye » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:07 pm

Hope everyone involved in this is banned from UCL/EL for a year
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,510

Post#209 » by Cactus Jack » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:11 pm

What is happening? :lol:
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
LondonCeltics
Senior
And1: 502

Post#210 » by LondonCeltics » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:13 pm

Mamba81p wrote:
LondonCeltics wrote:By the way, I am not trying to make this an anti-US/you don't get it rant. I'm sure many Americans would be just as irked if something like this happened there. One of the reasons I love American sports is that they are designed to avoid this sort of thing through salary caps, trading players not buying them and the way the drafts work. Imagine if the Lakers, Celtics, Nets and Clippers (despite their complete lack of historic success) and Miami Heat decided they would create a new basketball league, expect to stay in the NBA but perhaps play less games and in their new league (which no other clubs can join) be free of salary caps. Would that go down well?

The difference is NBA is maximizing their revenues/profits. UEFA is not doing that for the clubs.
There is no need for Lakers to go on a separate root, when staying with the NBA is the best possible way for their business. There is a reason why the NBA/NFL are stable financially, and the european clubs are on the brinks of bankruptcy: salary cap.

You cannot do a salary cap in UEFA. You need a CBA and a professional league to do that. You can do it in the Premier League, but every league would need to do it, to have an effect. Financial fair-play stopped the madness for a short time, but I don't think it's enough
Now there is a race to the top in terms of players salaries/prices, and I don't see that stopping. With the way the pandemic goes in Europe, probably they will not have full stadiums for another year, and the financial disaster will be there for everyone to see.

Yeah... but my point wasn't this would never happen in the NBA so it shouldn't happen in football, the point was to speculate about what the reaction would be in the States if something like this did. I got disillusioned in the modern game years back with the way it's got out of control financially. I don't disagree with your assessment and the difficulty if not impossibility involved in reaching more stable parity across the leagues. I sure as **** know this super league wasn't any sort of answer.

Anyway this is gladly dying on its arse in a very shambolic fashion. Question now is, what sanctions should the FA impose against the English clubs?
LondonCeltics
Senior
And1: 502

Post#211 » by LondonCeltics » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:15 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:What is happening? :lol:

Justice my boy, justice.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,363

Post#212 » by Shaazzam » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:16 pm

Even the XFL made it a full season, never mind a full week.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
HIF
RealGM

Post#213 » by HIF » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:19 pm

Cactus Jack wrote:What is happening? :lol:

The rats are leaving the sinking ship. Now they need to pay the price of the consequences. They've only puled out because their coup d'etat failed.

HIF
RealGM

Post#214 » by HIF » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:20 pm

Shaazzam wrote:Even the XFL made it a full season, never mind a full week.

I've had longer sex sessions than the superleague lasted.

Mamba81p
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,237

Post#215 » by Mamba81p » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:20 pm

LondonCeltics wrote:
Mamba81p wrote:
LondonCeltics wrote:By the way, I am not trying to make this an anti-US/you don't get it rant. I'm sure many Americans would be just as irked if something like this happened there. One of the reasons I love American sports is that they are designed to avoid this sort of thing through salary caps, trading players not buying them and the way the drafts work. Imagine if the Lakers, Celtics, Nets and Clippers (despite their complete lack of historic success) and Miami Heat decided they would create a new basketball league, expect to stay in the NBA but perhaps play less games and in their new league (which no other clubs can join) be free of salary caps. Would that go down well?

The difference is NBA is maximizing their revenues/profits. UEFA is not doing that for the clubs.
There is no need for Lakers to go on a separate root, when staying with the NBA is the best possible way for their business. There is a reason why the NBA/NFL are stable financially, and the european clubs are on the brinks of bankruptcy: salary cap.

You cannot do a salary cap in UEFA. You need a CBA and a professional league to do that. You can do it in the Premier League, but every league would need to do it, to have an effect. Financial fair-play stopped the madness for a short time, but I don't think it's enough
Now there is a race to the top in terms of players salaries/prices, and I don't see that stopping. With the way the pandemic goes in Europe, probably they will not have full stadiums for another year, and the financial disaster will be there for everyone to see.

Yeah... but my point wasn't this would never happen in the NBA so it shouldn't happen in football, the point was to speculate about what the reaction would be in the States if something like this did. I got disillusioned in the modern game years back with the way it's got out of control financially. I don't disagree with your assessment and the difficulty if not impossibility involved in reaching more stable parity across the leagues. I sure as **** know this super league wasn't any sort of answer.

The reaction would be that they will not watch it, and the business will be destroyed. Pretty much what happens when the people are upset with one company: they boycott it.
I don't think there would be large protests over this, but people will talk with their wallet.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#216 » by Shaazzam » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:22 pm

HIF wrote:

Damn, your hands must have been raw.
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,829

Post#217 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:23 pm

It would be great if this debacle led to actual change rather than just a return to the status quo.
HIF
RealGM

Post#218 » by HIF » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:24 pm

Shaazzam wrote:
HIF wrote:

Damn, your hands must have been raw.

:lol:

Vaseline

Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,829

Post#219 » by Raps in 4 » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:25 pm

Mamba81p wrote:

European football is run like the Wild West. It's totally lawless, with a corrupt organization overseeing everything. Sports organizations need structure. The Americans perfected the formula, it's too bad the Europeans didn't take notes. I can't stress how ironic it is that American sports leagues feature strict regulations, unions, revenue sharing, and competitive balance rules, while their European counterparts are run completely laissez-faire.

I'd love if this whole situation served as a wake-up call and led to actual, meaningful change. But I doubt it will.
Shaazzam
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#220 » by Shaazzam » Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:26 pm

LOL
Imageprops to Turbo_Zone

Return to The General Soccer Board