FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Group Stage

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,176

Re: FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 - Group Stage 

Post#2341 » by UcanUwill » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:13 pm

Explain me the logic of having this on general board, instead of just having this thread straight up on general board? Is it to advertise other sections of realgm, news flash, almost no one is visiting non NBA boards here and never will. You understand how much discussion we have lost? You guys allowed my Eurobasket thread, you always allow that, and its OT, I know it is still basketball, I get the strictness of general board, it cant allow anything non basketball, but what is the logic of having this then?

hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Post#2342 » by hermes » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:15 pm

no one went 3-0 in the group, is that common?
Evenacus
Junior
And1: 228

Post#2343 » by Evenacus » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Explain me the logic of having this on general board, instead of just having this thread straight up on general board? Is it to advertise other sections of realgm, news flash, almost no one is visiting non NBA boards here and never will. You understand how much discussion we have lost? You guys allowed my Eurobasket thread, you always allow that, and its OT, I know it is still basketball, I get the strictness of general board, it cant allow anything non basketball, but what is the logic of having this then?

Put this in the new thread for better visibility.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#2344 » by Baphomet » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:16 pm

UcanUwill wrote:Explain me the logic of having this on general board, instead of just having this thread straight up on general board? Is it to advertise other sections of realgm, news flash, almost no one is visiting non NBA boards here and never will. You understand how much discussion we have lost? You guys allowed my Eurobasket thread, you always allow that, and its OT, I know it is still basketball, I get the strictness of general board, it cant allow anything non basketball, but what is the logic of having this then?

Given the general quality of discussion on the NBA general board, I wouldn't say that's much of a loss.
Stannis
RealGM
And1: 10,244

Post#2345 » by Stannis » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:17 pm

Fairview4Life wrote:I would not be comfortable playing against Serbia. Every single one of them looks like they have fought 6 bouncers at once on a fairly frequent basis.

Shqipe!
Free Palestine
ejftw
General Manager
And1: 4,140

Post#2346 » by ejftw » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:17 pm

At least I still got the US to root for
clyde21
RealGM
And1: 69,276

Post#2347 » by clyde21 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:17 pm

who cares? you cant click two buttons to get here?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,256

Post#2348 » by Sedale Threatt » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:19 pm

Baphomet wrote:

Given the general quality of discussion on the NBA general board, I wouldn't say that's much of a loss.

Indeed. It would be nothing but Pharmcat predictions and kickball jokes.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 29,176

Post#2349 » by UcanUwill » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:20 pm

clyde21 wrote:who cares? you cant click two buttons to get here?

It's a pain in a butt that no ones into doing it. WIth direct thread, you always see page length, you always see how much discussion you missed, how much of it expanded, with this you dont see it and no one really wants to click 5 times to see it.

Baphomet wrote:

Eurobasket thread was generally great, some NBA reactionists arent into it, and you would be surprised how much quality we can get there.
Nate505
RealGM
And1: 11,939

Post#2350 » by Nate505 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:26 pm

Baphomet wrote:

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#2351 » by Baphomet » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:26 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

It's a pain in a butt that no ones into doing it. WIth direct thread, you always see page length, you always see how much discussion you missed, how much of it expanded, with this you dont see it and no one really wants to click 5 times to see it.

Baphomet wrote:

Eurobasket thread was generally great, some NBA reactionists arent into it, and you would be surprised how much quality we can get there.

But that's the thing, Eurobasket makes sense because we have a lot of international basketball fans on the general board. You only need to see the loathing the populace of that board has whenever there's an OT thread made talking about Mbappe or Haaland, or relating a current NBA star to a football player, to know that there's very little appetite for this sport there, and most pages would be filled with whining about why it's not on the soccer board.

And besides which, the pace here is fine. 117 pages for the group stage is pretty good. The playoffs threads on the general board are so chaotic and over active that most of the best posts get page sniped anyway. I appreciate your concerns, but I don't think it's a problem. Dirk's redirect worked quite well.
hermes
RealGM
And1: 24,585

Post#2352 » by hermes » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:30 pm

looks like 1994 was the last time, a team didn't go 3-0 in the group stage
Dirk
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 36,915

Post#2353 » by Dirk » Fri Dec 2, 2022 9:43 pm

UcanUwill wrote:

Baphomet wrote:

But that's the thing, Eurobasket makes sense because we have a lot of international basketball fans on the general board. You only need to see the loathing the populace of that board whenever there's an OT thread made talking about Mbappe or Haaland, or relating a current NBA star to a football player, to know that there's very little appetite for this sport there, and most pages would be filled with whining about why it's not on the soccer board.

And besides which, the pace here is fine. 117 pages for the group stage is pretty good. The playoffs threads on the general board are so chaotic and over active that most of the best posts get page sniped anyway. I appreciate your concerns, but I don't think it's a problem. Dirk's redirect worked quite well.

The "OT" topics do generate some reports there. There are always 2 or 3 users reporting, but they're tolerated... and a WC thread would be fine there.

However, we must have some faith in humanity. It takes two clicks --- whoever likes soccer/football, can make two clicks, visit the Soccer section, discuss and maybe stay on post-world cup.

The board has different sections and this was a PERFECT chance to drive traffic to the section... and maybe some will stay on (I actually watch tons of games but have rarely posted in the past. Our time is limited of course... :x , but also it's difficult to build habits of browsing other sections/posting).

In any case, the topic has been fairly active and the discussion of good level. Less is more many times.
60/21/10
Nate505
RealGM

Post#2354 » by Nate505 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 10:15 pm

hermes wrote:looks like 1994 was the last time, a team didn't go 3-0 in the group stage

It's also one of the rare times two European teams in a group didn't advance, though I guess it did happen more recently in 2010. Still, it was like 1970 before then.

Also, most confederations more or less performed to their expected knockout spot allocations this World Cup. Like Europe sent 13 teams to the Cup, and 7 made the Knockout round. 13 teams represents 40.6% of the group stage (13/32), and 40.6% of the 16 spots in the knockout round is about 6.5 spots.

Both Europe and Africa did a half a spot better than their expected total, while North America did one spot worse than their expected total. Every other confederation did exactly their expected total. Which is kind of nice to see. Makes for a fun opening knockout round that's not just dominated by Europe and South America, though I still expect the later rounds to be dominated by them.

That said, while North America did underperform there, at least the most important team made it out :D
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,894

Post#2355 » by fbalmeida » Fri Dec 2, 2022 10:29 pm

Define importance.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Nate505
RealGM

Post#2356 » by Nate505 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 10:29 pm

fbalmeida wrote:Define importance.

The one team from Concacaf to make it out of the group stage!
fbalmeida
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,894

Post#2357 » by fbalmeida » Fri Dec 2, 2022 10:32 pm

I think USA is good for a win against the Netherlands. Canada's, and specifically John Herdman's inexperience cost them bitterly.
"The Raptors will be fine." - Masai Ujiri, March 26th, 2021
Nate505
RealGM

Post#2358 » by Nate505 » Fri Dec 2, 2022 11:40 pm

fbalmeida wrote:I think USA is good for a win against the Netherlands. Canada's, and specifically John Herdman's inexperience cost them bitterly.

I hope Canada gets better. It's pretty hard to make it to a first World Cup and do well. It wasn't too long ago when Canada never made it to the hex in concacaf, so hopefully they're on the same trajectory the US was on in 1990 and continue to do perform better. The fact they'll make it next Cup (and if concacaf keeps getting 7 spots in a 48 team World Cup, that'll benefit them tremendously) bodes well for them.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,335

Post#2359 » by wco81 » Sat Dec 3, 2022 12:19 am

Nate505 wrote:
fbalmeida wrote:I think USA is good for a win against the Netherlands. Canada's, and specifically John Herdman's inexperience cost them bitterly.

I hope Canada gets better. It's pretty hard to make it to a first World Cup and do well. It wasn't too long ago when Canada never made it to the hex in concacaf, so hopefully they're on the same trajectory the US was on in 1990 and continue to do perform better. The fact they'll make it next Cup (and if concacaf keeps getting 7 spots in a 48 team World Cup, that'll benefit them tremendously) bodes well for them.

They seem to have a much bigger basketball pipeline than a soccer pipeline.

More immigration from the Caribbean vs. from Africa?
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,847

Post#2360 » by madmaxmedia » Sat Dec 3, 2022 12:24 am

Sedale Threatt wrote:
clyde21 wrote:
madmaxmedia wrote:Have you guys seen this one? Class act answer to a pretty rude reporter:

dont see how that's rude, pretty legit comment/questions imo.

The pronunciation thing was dumb. That almost entirely comes down to how your particular country enunciates words. For example, living in South Texas around Spanish speakers for 20-plus years, tons and tons of people "mispronounced" my first name. I did not get offended. Hell, I've been watching most of the games on Telemundo and they pronounce everything depending to their style as opposed to anybody else's. It was a thinly-veiled attempt to provoke a response from a reporter from Iran's state propaganda network. A reporter from the same outlet apparently tried to badger Berhalter -- a soccer coach -- about why he hadn't used his position to pressure the US government into moving warships out of the region. I mean...

The actual question was absolutely legit.

A reasonably polite correction would be absolutely fine IMO, but the reporter was practically sneering at him.

Return to The General Soccer Board