Official Manchester United FC Thread

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

GMgoran
Banned User
And1: 206

Re: Official Manchester United FC Thread 

Post#61 » by GMgoran » Tue Aug 5, 2014 8:12 am

Shaazzam wrote:Ahh, beating Liverpool for a trophy. For one day all was right in the world.

Losing to Man Utd is never a pleasant experience, but if we are being honest, this defeat couldn't come at a better time ... While your manager is starting to make noises that his squad might be good enough, and that he might not need any more top reinforcements, our manager is talking about the need of new signings, especially attacking ones, completely ignoring the fact that he didn't have Sturridge, Markovic, Lallana and Borini at his disposal last night ... :lol:
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,811

Post#62 » by 5DOM » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:43 am

I'm sure one preseason game changed the entire transfer strategy of one of the biggest clubs in the world... but then van Gaal is not as forward-thinking as the Great Brendan Rodgers.
GMgoran
Banned User

Post#63 » by GMgoran » Tue Aug 5, 2014 10:59 am

5DOM wrote:I'm sure one preseason game changed the entire transfer strategy of one of the biggest clubs in the world... but then van Gaal is not as forward-thinking as the Great Brendan Rodgers.

I was referring to this ...

GMgoran wrote:"Van Gaal: Maybe we don't need new signings"

https://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/news/pre ... --sow.html

Van Gall is obviously having problems attracting his top targets without Champions League football to offer, and it seems that he is not willing to adopt Chelsea's and Man City's approach of giving new signings ridiculous wages ... Therefore, Man Utd's wins against Real Madrid and LFC might reinforce his belief that he should asses his present squad during a full season, before splashing the huge cash in Abramovich and Mansour style ...
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#64 » by 5DOM » Tue Aug 5, 2014 1:42 pm

I know what he said. I'm just not convinced that a couple of preseason games would change his transfer strategy.

Btw I'm pretty sure United spend way more on wages than Chelsea.
GMgoran
Banned User

Post#65 » by GMgoran » Tue Aug 5, 2014 1:49 pm

5DOM wrote:I know what he said. I'm just not convinced that a couple of preseason games would change his transfer strategy.

A couple of good pre-season performances against strong opposition, combined with the fact that he is unable to attract his primary targets, could easily be the reason for LVG to change Man Utd's approach to the transfer market this summer ... After all the links to Di María, Vidal and Hummels in recent weeks, it seems that none of those transfers is really happening, and knowing LVG's style of work, he won't be spending his available funds for the sake of spending ... Unlike Mourinho, LVG is a manager who actually develops players, so he might be tempted to get the best out of the players already on his squad, as opposed to throwing money on the problem ...

5DOM wrote:Btw I'm pretty sure United spend way more on wages than Chelsea.

They have a similar wage bill ... According to the last available official information for the 2012/13 season, Man Utd's wage bill is at £181 million, and Chelsea's wage bill is at £179 million ...
Boognish
RealGM
And1: 16,738

Post#66 » by Boognish » Tue Aug 5, 2014 3:56 pm

LvG has said more than once he wants a chance to evaluate the squad. There's still a month left in the window. I would be shocked if they didn't sign a CB at least.
GMgoran
Banned User

Post#67 » by GMgoran » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:05 pm

Boognish wrote:LvG has said more than once he wants a chance to evaluate the squad. There's still a month left in the window. I would be shocked if they didn't sign a CB at least.

If he plans to use the 3-5-2 on regular basis, he must certainly sign 1 new central defender ... Possibly even 2, since at the moment the only senior central defenders on his squad are Jones, Evans and Smalling ...
Boognish
RealGM

Post#68 » by Boognish » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:20 pm

Right, the squad has glaring holes at CM and CB. Lacking CL football, United obviously can't sign players like Markovic/Lallana/Lovren, but they're not going to stand pat, regardless of the preseason.

Not to mention Nani, Kagawa, Hernandez, Anderson, Fellaini could be on their way out, that's around 50m right there.
GMgoran
Banned User

Post#69 » by GMgoran » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:39 pm

Boognish wrote:Right, the squad has glaring holes at CM and CB. Lacking CL football, United obviously can't sign players like Markovic/Lallana/Lovren, but they're not going to stand pat, regardless of the preseason.

Not to mention Nani, Kagawa, Hernandez, Anderson, Fellaini could be on their way out, that's around 50m right there.

That looks good on Football Manager, but so far there are very few clubs willing to take on the wages of Nani, Kagawa, Hernandez, Anderson and Fellaini ... One of the biggest mistakes of Ferguson (and Moyes, in the case of Fellaini) was giving big wages to players who don't really deserve it ... Of course, Man Utd could afford those wages at the time, with their massive revenues, but when you try to move those players, there aren't many takers ...
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#70 » by 5DOM » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:40 pm

GMgoran wrote:
5DOM wrote:I know what he said. I'm just not convinced that a couple of preseason games would change his transfer strategy.

A couple of good pre-season performances against strong opposition, combined with the fact that he is unable to attract his primary targets, could easily be the reason for LVG to change Man Utd's approach to the transfer market this summer ... After all the links to Di María, Vidal and Hummels in recent weeks, it seems that none of those transfers is really happening, and knowing LVG's style of work, he won't be spending his available funds for the sake of spending ... Unlike Mourinho, LVG is a manager who actually develops players, so he might be tempted to get the best out of the players already on his squad, as opposed to throwing money on the problem ...

They have a similar wage bill ... According to the last available official information for the 2012/13 season, Man Utd's wage bill is at £181 million, and Chelsea's wage bill is at £179 million ...

And since then, they've spent a lot more money on transfers, and signed Rooney to a massive contract extension, while three of our highest earners in Lamps, Cole and Terry either left or signed a new smaller contract. Chelsea opted for Luis because they couldn't offer Shaw the same wages. So really, United have been the ones splashing huge cash, not Chelsea in recent years (not that there's anything wrong with it as United are the bigger club).

Also I don't believe their whole strategy for this transfer window was based on highly improbable signings like di Maria, Hummels and/or Vidal. If they seriously thought they could get someone like Hummels, who everyone knows is going nowhere, I don't know what to think.
GMgoran
Banned User

Post#71 » by GMgoran » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:47 pm

5DOM wrote:
GMgoran wrote:

And since then, they've spent a lot more money on transfers, and signed Rooney to a massive contract extension, while three of our highest earners in Lamps, Cole and Terry either left or signed a new smaller contract. Chelsea opted for Luis because they couldn't offer Shaw the same wages. So really, United have been the ones splashing huge cash, not Chelsea in recent years (not that there's anything wrong with it as United are the bigger club).

Also I don't believe their whole strategy for this transfer window was based on highly improbable signings like di Maria, Hummels and/or Vidal. If they seriously thought they could get someone like Hummels, who everyone knows is going nowhere, I don't know what to think.

Chelsea have just signed Diego Costa on £180,000 per week and Fabregas on £150,000 per week ... I must admit, it is cute when Chelsea fans try to picture their club as not a big spending one ...
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#72 » by 5DOM » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:50 pm

GMgoran wrote:Chelsea have just signed Diego Costa on £180,000 per week and Fabregas on £150,000 per week ... I must admit, it is cute when Chelsea fans try to picture their club as not a big spending one ...

Says who? Some newspapers? Besides, I'm not denying that Chelsea spend a lot. It's simply not true to say United aren't spending like Chelsea when they spend more.
GMgoran
Banned User

Post#73 » by GMgoran » Tue Aug 5, 2014 4:59 pm

5DOM wrote:
GMgoran wrote:Chelsea have just signed Diego Costa on £180,000 per week and Fabregas on £150,000 per week ... I must admit, it is cute when Chelsea fans try to picture their club as not a big spending one ...

Says who? Some newspapers? Besides, I'm not denying that Chelsea spend a lot. It's simply not true to say United aren't spending like Chelsea when they spend more.

And that is why I have suggested this thesis ...

GMgoran wrote:Van Gall is obviously having problems attracting his top targets without Champions League football to offer, and it seems that he is not willing to adopt Chelsea's and Man City's approach of giving new signings ridiculous wages ... Therefore, Man Utd's wins against Real Madrid and LFC might reinforce his belief that he should asses his present squad during a full season, before splashing the huge cash in Abramovich and Mansour style ...

Ferguson and Moyes had no problems giving their new signings massive wages in order to compete with the oil clubs, but it seems that LVG is adopting a different approach, since he has enough problems trying to offload some of the overpaid flops on his squad ...
Matty
General Manager
And1: 18,357

Post#74 » by Matty » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:05 pm

Van Gaal: Almost time to judge

http://www.manutd.com/en/Tour-2014/Tour2014News/2014/Aug/louis-van-gaal-to-tell-players-his-judgement-after-pre-season-tour-of-usa.aspx?pageNo=2

Anderson, Cleverly, Rafael, and eventually Fellani once Van Gaal sees how useless he is in the middle, are probably all goners.

If were going to play a 3-5-2 formation, a huge CB and DM signing has to be in the works for it to be successful.
5DOM
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by 5DOM » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:06 pm

Except isn't their net spending in this transfer window the highest in the PL

And look at the Luke Shaw signing and tell me they are not spending. What do the newspapers say about his wages? Apparently over 100k and some say close to 120k
GMgoran
Banned User

Post#76 » by GMgoran » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:14 pm

5DOM wrote:Except isn't their net spending in this transfer window the highest in the PL

And look at the Luke Shaw signing and tell me they are not spending. What do the newspapers say about his wages? Apparently over 100k and some say close to 120k

I think that the transfer fee (£27 million) and the wages (£100,000 per week) for Shaw are high, but he is only 19, and would very likely represent a solution for the LB spot at Man Utd for the next 10-12 years ... In any case, he is a smarter signing than the 29-year-old Filipe Luis for a transfer fee of £16 million, at £80,000 per week ...
Matty
General Manager

Post#77 » by Matty » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:16 pm

5DOM wrote:Except isn't their net spending in this transfer window the highest in the PL

Ed Woodward and crew gave Van Gaal the green light to spend as much as he can to bring in the players he wants, and I really don't think Louis was just going to come into Old Trafford hoping for the best. He knew drastic changes were needed on the roster and to say he's done with just the transfers of Ander Herrera and Luke Shaw is ridiculous. I still believe there is at least one major signing left and now that he's done the US tour he can focus on that.
Boognish
RealGM

Post#78 » by Boognish » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:32 pm

GMgoran wrote:That looks good on Football Manager, but so far there are very few clubs willing to take on the wages of Nani, Kagawa, Hernandez, Anderson and Fellaini ... One of the biggest mistakes of Ferguson (and Moyes, in the case of Fellaini) was giving big wages to players who don't really deserve it ... Of course, Man Utd could afford those wages at the time, with their massive revenues, but when you try to move those players, there aren't many takers ...

Kagawa and Hernandez linked to A. Madrid just today.

LvG has been evaluating the squad, there's a month left in the transfer window. Not much else to say I don't think.
Matty
General Manager

Post#79 » by Matty » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:38 pm

Boognish wrote:
GMgoran wrote:That looks good on Football Manager, but so far there are very few clubs willing to take on the wages of Nani, Kagawa, Hernandez, Anderson and Fellaini ... One of the biggest mistakes of Ferguson (and Moyes, in the case of Fellaini) was giving big wages to players who don't really deserve it ... Of course, Man Utd could afford those wages at the time, with their massive revenues, but when you try to move those players, there aren't many takers ...

LvG has been evaluating the squad, there's a month left in the transfer window. Not much else to say I don't think.

I don't think he's getting rid of Chicarito or Kagawa just yet based on the potential they've shown during preseason tour.
GMgoran
Banned User

Post#80 » by GMgoran » Tue Aug 5, 2014 5:49 pm

Boognish wrote:

The funny thing is, out of those 5 players that you have mentioned, Kagawa and Hernandez are probably the ones that LVG should consider keeping ... They could both fit in his 3-5-2, if they are willing to accept a backup role ... The likes of Fellaini, Nani and Anderson are a different story ... They are completely useless, and it will be almost a miracle is someone takes them off Utd's wage bill on a permanent deal ... Also, it would be interesting to see how LVG will use Zaha, who is not exactly a good fit for his system ...

Return to The General Soccer Board