Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread II

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread II 

Post#81 » by HIF » Fri Jul 14, 2023 8:52 am

Baphomet wrote:Sad to hear about the extent of Dele Alli's mental troubles, and childhood trauma. The interview he did with Gary Neville is worth a watch if anyone's curious.

I hope he's able to get back to playing football at the level he's capable of again, but above all I hope he is able to stay well.

Do you think that Tottenham should have done anything different in these circumstances?
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,661

Post#82 » by Baphomet » Sat Jul 15, 2023 6:35 am

HIF wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Sad to hear about the extent of Dele Alli's mental troubles, and childhood trauma. The interview he did with Gary Neville is worth a watch if anyone's curious.

I hope he's able to get back to playing football at the level he's capable of again, but above all I hope he is able to stay well.

Do you think that Tottenham should have done anything different in these circumstances?

That's a good question. I don't know how much of Dele's past the club was actually privy to, in terms of the abuse he received as a child. However, the sleeping pill addiction thing could be another matter. A few years ago, the Athletic ran a piece about the prevalence of sleeping pill use in football, and in some cases the clubs themselves have given them to their players to help them get enough rest for games. But they're habit forming. I'm a chronic insomniac and you basically can't get these things unless you seriously need them, I had about two week's worth of zopiclone prescribed to me in 2015 and 16 and they're very effective, but also very addictive. They should absolutely not be handed out like sweets to players.

So it's entirely possible the club was culpable in that. I couldn't say.
HIF
RealGM

Post#83 » by HIF » Tue Jul 18, 2023 12:19 pm

I didn't watch the West Ham match. How was Madders?

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#84 » by Baphomet » Tue Jul 18, 2023 5:42 pm

HIF wrote:I didn't watch the West Ham match. How was Madders?

He struggled for space, a little bit. But he had his moments and was able to create a few chances. I would say that Lo Celso had a better game in midfield. Madds will be fine, just needs a few more games under his belt.

The game was a loss but honestly felt like a win in some regards. 30 shots, created loads of chances, just didn't take them. The 3 goals we conceded were basically all defensive blunders, which further highlights the desperate need to upgrade the defensive unit. Just having shots at goal feels nice after 3-4 years of dross from Mourinho and Conte teams, though.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#85 » by Baphomet » Tue Aug 8, 2023 7:59 pm

Final game of preseason, Spurs second string put in a solid performance against a near full strength Barcelona team at the Camp Nou. 4-2 loss, and were winning until fairly late. Tired legs and inexperience cost them in the end.

Bissouma looks like he'll be a strong contributor this coming season.
HIF
RealGM

Post#86 » by HIF » Wed Aug 9, 2023 6:49 am

Baphomet wrote:Final game of preseason, Spurs second string put in a solid performance against a near full strength Barcelona team at the Camp Nou. 4-2 loss, and were winning until fairly late. Tired legs and inexperience cost them in the end.

Bissouma is a great pick up. Surprised he's second string.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#87 » by Baphomet » Thu Aug 10, 2023 8:07 pm

HIF wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Final game of preseason, Spurs second string put in a solid performance against a near full strength Barcelona team at the Camp Nou. 4-2 loss, and were winning until fairly late. Tired legs and inexperience cost them in the end.

Bissouma is a great pick up. Surprised he's second string.

He won't be this season. I think he just needed some minutes, he's one of the few that played that I think will start against Brentford on Sunday.
HIF
RealGM

Post#88 » by HIF » Fri Aug 11, 2023 8:05 am

Looks like Kane has bailed. Easy life over loyalty to the club that made him. He sure isn't Vardy.

Sorry Baph.

Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,488

Post#89 » by Foye » Fri Aug 11, 2023 9:17 am

HIF wrote:Looks like Kane has bailed. Easy life over loyalty to the club that made him. He sure isn't Vardy.

Sorry Baph.

Come on.
He has been with Tottenham since like 2004 with small breaks in between. Don't question this mans loyalty.

@Baph: Can you please tell Levy to raise his asking price to 150 mil. last minute? We need to have some more financial parity in the Bundesliga. :lol:
HIF
RealGM

Post#90 » by HIF » Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:49 pm

Foye wrote:
HIF wrote:Looks like Kane has bailed. Easy life over loyalty to the club that made him. He sure isn't Vardy.

Sorry Baph.

Come on.
He has been with Tottenham since like 2004 with small breaks in between. Don't question this mans loyalty.

@Baph: Can you please tell Levy to raise his asking price to 150 mil. last minute? We need to have some more financial parity in the Bundesliga. :lol:

He stayed becuase they paid him, now he's leaving. That's not loyalty. Spurs are one of the biggest clubs in the world. He should be fighting for them to get them to win a trophy.

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#91 » by Baphomet » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:42 pm

^ I understand both perspectives, for what it's worth. I'm not angry at Kane, not angry at Levy or the club, not angry at Bayern either. It is what it is. It's a day I've expected to come for a while now. We've had our chances to win silverware, and Kane and the rest of the team never stepped up. Two league cup finals, Champions League final, and potentially the league campaigns of 15/16 and 16/17. We had a magnificent team under Pochettino, now only Son remains from that core of Lloris/Vertonghen/Dembele/Eriksen/Alli/Son/Kane.

Now it's time to move on and build something new. And hopefully not turn into Everton, or worse.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,339

Post#92 » by wco81 » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:41 pm

How is Munich an easier life for an Englishman?

Supposedly his wife is pregnant and they have young children so it's got to be a disruptive move, especially coming all of a sudden, a day or two before the start of the season?

The expectations will be much higher at Bayern, though they should easily win the league. Question is whether they return to contend for the UCL with the big move.

If they don't, maybe Kane gets criticized for not being a winner -- they showed he's the only top 10 PL scorer who's never won a title.

But German media isn't as tough as UK media?
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#93 » by Baphomet » Fri Aug 11, 2023 5:44 pm

wco81 wrote:How is Munich an easier life for an Englishman?

Supposedly his wife is pregnant and they have young children so it's got to be a disruptive move, especially coming all of a sudden, a day or two before the start of the season?

The expectations will be much higher at Bayern, though they should easily win the league. Question is whether they return to contend for the UCL with the big move.

If they don't, maybe Kane gets criticized for not being a winner -- they showed he's the only top 10 PL scorer who's never won a title.

But German media isn't as tough as UK media?

Bayern will win the title, and if they don't, I doubt it will be Kane's fault. Actually, if Bayern can finish the deal today, it's possible Kane might be able to play in their Super Cup game tomorrow and win his first trophy literally within a day of becoming a Bayern player, which will be like a dropkick to the teeth for Spurs fans.

Many people in Germany speak English. The rate of English literacy there is generally very high. I don't think he'll have any trouble settling in. I understand your point about his wife and family, but I think they've been planning for this move for a while. Ange Postecoglou implied as much, too.

Return to The General Soccer Board