How Good would the US National Team's "true" A team be.

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

freethedevil
Head Coach
And1: 3,230

How Good would the US National Team's "true" A team be. 

Post#1 » by freethedevil » Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:44 am

GGG got in because his brother was high up in the ussf to advertise mls. What would usmnt's true a team look like? My roster:

Lineup:
Horvath
Yedlin——Brooks———Miazga (or C.V) --Ant. Robinson (hopefully Dest)
-———-Adams————McKennie
Holmes————-Pulisic——————Weah
-————————Sargent

Reserves:
Ike, Brown, Sabbi, Morris, Long, Steffen, Green, Gonzales, Morales, Pomyakal, Toji, Miles Robinson

Fringe:
Hyndman, Robinson, Miles Robinson, Kaief, Ream, Joel Sonora, Novak

Tactics:
Jesse Marsch's RB Salzburg

How good is this team? I'm thinking best in concacaf and top 16 overall.

Star studded central midfield, solid to very good players everywhere else, depth basically everywhere except for left back. Should make it out of a world cup group and if coached well could upset a big team or two. I'm seeing shades of 2014 chile actually.
Foye
Club Captain- German Soccer
And1: 3,493

Re: How Good would the US National Team's "true" A team be. 

Post#2 » by Foye » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:15 pm

Maybe good enough to get out of WC group stages if they have a favourable group. That's it.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#3 » by freethedevil » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:07 am

Foye wrote:Maybe good enough to get out of WC group stages if they have a favourable group. That's it.

How does this squad compare to the 2014 and 2002 teams that got out of groups of death? or the 2010 that won a favoriuable group?
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics
And1: 14,513

Post#4 » by Cactus Jack » Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:47 am

We suck
Dominater wrote:Damn Cactus jack takin over
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,174

Post#5 » by Hellcrooner » Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:10 am

freethedevil wrote:GGG got in because his brother was high up in the ussf to advertise mls. What would usmnt's true a team look like? My roster:

Lineup:
Horvath
-———-Adams————McKennie
-————————Sargent

Reserves:
Ike, Brown, Sabbi, Morris, Long, Steffen, Green, Gonzales, Morales, Pomyakal, Toji, Miles Robinson

Fringe:

Tactics:

Star studded central midfield, solid to very good players everywhere else, depth basically everywhere except for left back. Should make it out of a world cup group and if coached well could upset a big team or two. I'm seeing shades of 2014 chile actually.

Im not even mexican and i feel compeled to say NO CHINGUES HUEVON!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#6 » by freethedevil » Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:23 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:
freethedevil wrote:GGG got in because his brother was high up in the ussf to advertise mls. What would usmnt's true a team look like? My roster:

Lineup:
Horvath
-———-Adams————McKennie
-————————Sargent

Reserves:

Fringe:

Tactics:

Im not even mexican and i feel compeled to say NO CHINGUES HUEVON!

Mexico has a whopping 6 players playing outside of liga mex. We hav more than that playing at cl clubs. Even bench players for us like Ike, brown and morales would walk into mexico's lineup based on club play.

Mexico might be playing better, but there's no way anyone can seriously argue they have a more talented player pool. Given Ive changed the coach and the tactics, I don't see how recent results are relevant here.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#7 » by HIF » Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:31 pm

Americans overrate their team's ability even more than the English overrate theirs.

I see that american wonderkind Pulisic is crying because he isn't good enough to get into the Chelsea team.

He isn't, he needs to buckle down and work and stop believing his own press.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
DCRYsing89
Starter
And1: 720

Post#8 » by DCRYsing89 » Fri Oct 18, 2019 1:19 am

Basically,
Truthfully,
Maybe fringe top 16

Better than them (at 100% strength) and in no order...
Portugal, Spain, France, Dutch, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Turkey*, Poland, England, Wales*, Ivory Coast*, Brazil, Columbia, Chile*, Uruguay, Argentina... and even maybe Mexico and Japan/Korea or a couple other African nations.

At least my opinion,
Yeah their team is solid, but they do lack a world beater,
Pulisic isn’t going to carry you in close games (look at Tim Cahill for Aus, was able to occasionally hold em in a game, but never won us games)

Just my opinion, USA suffers same problem as England and Australia IMO,
To committed to to many sports.
After your first, you change, you mature, you dont just jump into things.

After getting dunked on for the first time, life becomes complex.
Hellcrooner
Veteran

Post#9 » by Hellcrooner » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:08 am

DCRYsing89 wrote:Basically,
Truthfully,
Maybe fringe top 16

Portugal, Spain, France, Dutch, Belgium, Italy, Germany, Turkey*, Poland, England, Wales*, Ivory Coast*, Brazil, Columbia, Chile*, Uruguay, Argentina... and even maybe Mexico and Japan/Korea or a couple other African nations.

At least my opinion,
Pulisic isn’t going to carry you in close games (look at Tim Cahill for Aus, was able to occasionally hold em in a game, but never won us games)

Tiers wise (not in order in each tier) id go

1st TIER Argentina/Brazil/Portugal/Spain/France/Germany

2nd Tier Uruguay/Colombia /chile/England/Belgium/Holland/Italy/Croatia

3rd Tier Mexico /Nigeria/Cameroon /Switzerland/Russia/Sweden/Denmark/Turkey/Serbia/Poland

4th Tier Paraguay/Venezuela/Peru /ecuador / U.S.A / S.Korea/Iran/egypt/Senegal/ Cote d´vore /Scotland/Ireland/Ucranie/Norway/Romania/Greece/Slovenia

5th Tier Australia/Japan/south Africa/Morroco/tunisia/algeria/N Ireland/Iceland/Austria/Hungary/Bulgaria/Bosnia

So at best the 24th best team in the world.
At worst 40th.
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#10 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:36 am

DCRYsing89 wrote:Just my opinion, USA suffers same problem as England and Australia IMO,

The English play what else exactly? Rugby? Golf? :wink:

The U.S. sucks because it's domestic league is trash. Pretty simple. The best American athletes play American Football, Basketball, Baseball. Not Soccer. Unfortunately, that's not changing.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#11 » by HIF » Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:23 am

Cactus Jack wrote:
DCRYsing89 wrote:Just my opinion, USA suffers same problem as England and Australia IMO,

The U.S. sucks because it's domestic league is trash. Pretty simple. The best American athletes play Football, Basketball, Baseball. Not Soccer. Unfortunately, that's not changing.

I know that you were joking there but England play so many sports at such a high level.

It's amazing how such a small country with so few people (compared to the U.S.) can be so good at so much. Just look at an Olympic comparison 3rd all time with a third of the medals the almighty US have won. England is the size of Alabama! :wink:
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Cactus Jack
Forum Mod - Supersonics
Forum Mod - Supersonics

Post#12 » by Cactus Jack » Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:43 pm

HIF wrote:
Cactus Jack wrote:

The U.S. sucks because it's domestic league is trash. Pretty simple. The best American athletes play Football, Basketball, Baseball. Not Soccer. Unfortunately, that's not changing.

I know that you were joking there but England play so many sports at such a high level.

It's amazing how such a small country with so few people (compared to the U.S.) can be so good at so much. Just look at an Olympic comparison 3rd all time with a third of the medals the almighty US have won. England is the size of Alabama! :wink:

Oh, I didn't mention Tennis, did I!? :lol:

My main point being that Football "Soccer" is still far & away England's #1 sport. Where as it still only ranks 4th or 5th most popular in the States. Behind the other big 4 leagues.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#13 » by freethedevil » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:33 pm

HIF wrote:Americans overrate their team's ability even more than the English overrate theirs.

I see that american wonderkind Pulisic is crying because he isn't good enough to get into the Chelsea team.

He isn't, he needs to buckle down and work and stop believing his own press.

No, Americans overrate pulisic's importance to us. Adams, Mckennie, Horvath and Brooks are all pulisic level players with adams probably being better outright.

The idea that usmnt is a one man team is utterly delusional.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#14 » by freethedevil » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:37 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:
Truthfully,
Maybe fringe top 16

At least my opinion,

3rd Tier Mexico /Nigeria/Cameroon /Switzerland/Russia/Sweden/Denmark/Turkey/Serbia/Poland

4th Tier Paraguay/Venezuela/Peru /ecuador / U.S.A / S.Korea/Iran/egypt/Senegal/ Cote d´vore /Scotland/Ireland/Ucranie/Norway/Romania/Greece/Slovenia

At worst 40th.

THE US talent pool has more players playing on champions league teams than mexico has players playing outside of liga mex. I've equalized coaching/tactics, how do you figure mexico is a tier above us?

Do people just see "mexico" and assume they're great?

Adams walked into being the mvp for lezpig while leadin gthe league in duels won, interceptions, ect, horvath balled out in the ucl vs atletico, dortmund, and monaco and has already ahd a historically good europa by 20. Pulisic was a regular starter for a team that challenged bayern while heatlhy, and mckennie has been able to play everywhere from centerback to striker for shalcke.

Morales, Brown, and Ike are all not first choice players for the usmnt, but on paper would walk into mexico's lineup. The op is specifcally comapring talent with a hypotheical coach. What basis is this talent pool:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexico_national_football_team

On par with this one?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_men%27s_national_soccer_team
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#15 » by freethedevil » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:57 pm

Truthfully,
Maybe fringe top 16

I'd take chile off your list at this point. Outside of vidal and bravo they don't have anyone playing at an elite level. They're relying heavily on latin america, liga mex, and even mls for most of their roster. I would proabably keep colombia there for now based on top end players, but their talent pool's started getting shallow. I would probably move turkey to "maybe". Our midfield's alot better, but they have better defense, and offense.

At least my opinion,
Pulisic isn’t going to carry you in close games

Again, I have no idea why people think pulisic would carry us when we have multiple guys who can be argued to be better players. Though yeah, we don't have anyone whose one of their best at their positions world wide, and honestly speaking Adams and horvath are probably the only players i see potentially getting there at their peaks. Probably dest, but I doubt he's picking us given the shambles we've been organizationally
Hellcrooner
Veteran

Post#16 » by Hellcrooner » Sun Oct 20, 2019 2:12 am

freethedevil wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:
Truthfully,
Maybe fringe top 16

At least my opinion,

At worst 40th.

THE US talent pool has more players playing on champions league teams than mexico has players playing outside of liga mex. I've equalized coaching/tactics, how do you figure mexico is a tier above us?

Adams walked into being the mvp for lezpig while leadin gthe league in duels won, interceptions, ect, horvath balled out in the ucl vs atletico, dortmund, and monaco and has already ahd a historically good europa by 20. Pulisic was a regular starter for a team that challenged bayern while heatlhy, and mckennie has been able to play everywhere from centerback to striker for shalcke.

Morales, Brown, and Ike are all not first choice players for the usmnt, but on paper would walk into mexico's lineup. The op is specifcally comapring talent with a hypotheical coach. What basis is this talent pool:

On par with this one?

CURIOUSLY YOU forget that mexico has a league that is FAR superior in talent than usa league.
Then you have to add the fact that mexico teams tend to pay better than usa league.

Wich makes more of their people to stay home.

Btw in europe not only CL teams are important playing in ANY team in the first división of Spain, Italy, England, France, Germany, Holand, Portugal, Russia, Turkey and so on > than playingin Usa/mexico.
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#17 » by freethedevil » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:33 pm

Hellcrooner wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:

At worst 40th.

On par with this one?

CURIOUSLY YOU forget that mexico has a league that is FAR superior in talent than usa league.

"Far superior liga mex teams" in midseason form are slightly over .500 vs preseason mls teams the last three ccl's. But sure fam, mexico is "FAR SUPERIOR IN TALENT" to the league that benched the reigning south american player of the year, sold davies, adams, and almiron, is littered with copa lib talent,and signed arguably the best player in belgium along with a player who dominated portugal. Which young in prime exports did mexico produce last season? PSG was offering 20 million for acosta, bayern spilled 20 million on davies, and newcastle spent 30 mil on almiron. Meanwhile Liga Mex's been importing over the hill international talent and hasn't sold anyone of note. Last cycle liga mex prospects were frequently being picked up and bugh by european clubs, where's the interest gone? If liga mex players were good enough to head out to europe, they would be there, but they aren't. Mexico's produced basically nothing to replace the previous generation. Hence why all of mexican soccer's hype has gone to a kid who did nice things in the eridvise.
Hellcrooner
Veteran

Post#18 » by Hellcrooner » Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:52 am

freethedevil wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:
freethedevil wrote:

On par with this one?

"Far superior liga mex teams" in midseason form are slightly over .500 vs preseason mls teams the last three ccl's. But sure fam, mexico is "FAR SUPERIOR IN TALENT" to the league that benched the reigning south american player of the year, sold davies, adams, and almiron, is littered with copa lib talent,and signed arguably the best player in belgium along with a player who dominated portugal. Which young in prime exports did mexico produce last season? PSG was offering 20 million for acosta, bayern spilled 20 million on davies, and newcastle spent 30 mil on almiron. Meanwhile Liga Mex's been importing over the hill international talent and hasn't sold anyone of note. Last cycle liga mex prospects were frequently being picked up and bugh by european clubs, where's the interest gone? If liga mex players were good enough to head out to europe, they would be there, but they aren't. Mexico's produced basically nothing to replace the previous generation. Hence why all of mexican soccer's hype has gone to a kid who did nice things in the eridvise.

get real dude

Overall performances by country[edit]

Rank

Country

Titles

Runners-up

Winners

Runners-up

1 Mexico 35
18 América (7)
Cruz Azul (6)
Pachuca (5)
Monterrey (4)
UNAM (3)
Atlante (2)
Guadalajara (2)
Toluca (2)
Español (1)
Necaxa (1)
Puebla (1)
UdeG (1) Toluca (3)
UANL (3)
Cruz Azul (2)
Guadalajara (2)
Morelia (2)
Santos Laguna (2)
Atlante (1)
León (1)
Necaxa (1)
UNAM (1)
2 Costa Rica 6 5 Saprissa (3)
Alajuelense (2)
Cartaginés (1) Alajuelense (3)
Saprissa (2)
3 El Salvador 3 1 Águila (1)
Alianza (1)
FAS (1) Atlético Marte (1)
4 Suriname 2 8 Transvaal (2) Robinhood (5)
Transvaal (3)
5 Guatemala 2 3 Comunicaciones (1)
Municipal (1) Comunicaciones (2)
Municipal (1)
Honduras 2 3 Olimpia (2) Olimpia (2)
Universidad (1)
Trinidad and Tobago 2 3 Defence Force (2) Defence Force (2)
Police FC (1)
8 United States 2 2 D.C. United (1)
LA Galaxy (1) LA Galaxy (1)
Real Salt Lake (1)
9 Haiti 2 0 Racing (1)
Violette (1)
10 Canada 0 2 Montreal Impact (1)
Toronto FC (1)
Cuba 0 2 Pinar del Río (2)
Curaçao 0 2 Jong Colombia (2)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CONCACAF_Champions_League
freethedevil
Head Coach

Post#19 » by freethedevil » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:44 am

Hellcrooner wrote:
freethedevil wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:

get real dude

-Huh? Why are we using all time trophy counts.?We're comparing the leagues current quality. And we have a large sample of data telling us that even preseason mls teams are competitive with midseason liga mex ones. MLS's record vs liga mex over the last three tourneys has been two games below .500. Why would we ignore that in favor of a all time comaprison over a small sample of teams? Especially considering that mls operates under a parity forcing salary cap, and liga mex does not? If liga mex was a much better league than mls, than recent results would show a dominant record for their top teams vs mls preseason teams. What results show, is mls teams far from their peaks going toe to toe with liga mex teams near peak form.

MLS youngsters have generated far more interest than liga mex ones from abroad, while liga mex has started doing the mls thing off importing over the hill foreign talent. During the last cycle liga mex youngsters were more frequently being signed by european clubs, now mls ones are. Incidentally, the american player pool has far more talent playing at higher levels. Liga mex has developed nobody of note recently outside of alvares and lainez. Last season alone, MLS sent alphonso davies to bayern, and tyler adams to rb lezpig with dc united nearly sending acosta to PSG. There's no viable explanation for Mexico having little to no talent outside of liga mex outside of them just not being good enough for top level clubs
Hellcrooner
Veteran

Post#20 » by Hellcrooner » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:59 am

freethedevil wrote:
Hellcrooner wrote:
freethedevil wrote:"Far superior liga mex teams" in midseason form are slightly over .500 vs preseason mls teams the last three ccl's. But sure fam, mexico is "FAR SUPERIOR IN TALENT" to the league that benched the reigning south american player of the year, sold davies, adams, and almiron, is littered with copa lib talent,and signed arguably the best player in belgium along with a player who dominated portugal. Which young in prime exports did mexico produce last season? PSG was offering 20 million for acosta, bayern spilled 20 million on davies, and newcastle spent 30 mil on almiron. Meanwhile Liga Mex's been importing over the hill international talent and hasn't sold anyone of note. Last cycle liga mex prospects were frequently being picked up and bugh by european clubs, where's the interest gone? If liga mex players were good enough to head out to europe, they would be there, but they aren't. Mexico's produced basically nothing to replace the previous generation. Hence why all of mexican soccer's hype has gone to a kid who did nice things in the eridvise.

get real dude

-Huh? Why are we using all time trophy counts.?We're comparing the leagues current quality. And we have a large sample of data telling us that even preseason mls teams are competitive with midseason liga mex ones. MLS's record vs liga mex over the last three tourneys has been two games below .500. Why would we ignore that in favor of a all time comaprison over a small sample of teams? Especially considering that mls operates under a parity forcing salary cap, and liga mex does not? If liga mex was a much better league than mls, than recent results would show a dominant record for their top teams vs mls preseason teams. What results show, is mls teams far from their peaks going toe to toe with liga mex teams near peak form.

MLS youngsters have generated far more interest than liga mex ones from abroad, while liga mex has started doing the mls thing off importing over the hill foreign talent. During the last cycle liga mex youngsters were more frequently being signed by european clubs, now mls ones are. Incidentally, the american player pool has far more talent playing at higher levels. Liga mex has developed nobody of note recently outside of alvares and lainez. Last season alone, MLS sent alphonso davies to bayern, and tyler adams to rb lezpig with dc united nearly sending acosta to PSG. There's no viable explanation for Mexico having little to no talent outside of liga mex outside of them just not being good enough for top level clubs

A mls team has not won since 2000, thats 20 years ago.
have not had a finalist since 2011 10 years ago.
Current holders of the gold cup? mexico ( 4 wins on the last ten years vs 2 usa wins)
mexico made it the world cup last year, Usa didnt.

Seriously, you need to wake up and smell the cofee.
Usa is a long way before they can claim to have a better national team or league than mexico.
And yes.
They shoudl by all means drop the salary cap if they want to ever stand a chance to have a strong league.
Adding a promotion relegation system would also help a ton.

Return to The General Soccer Board