Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,435

Re: OT: Mbappe Snubs Real Madrid 

Post#121 » by Sgt Major » Sun May 22, 2022 10:26 am

Stribor wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:I think you have the wrong club, Real Madrid isn't doing anything.

It's the English clubs + PSG who are doing this to football.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico, Bayern, Dortmund and the Italian clubs are just trying to stay relevant and compete against their massive TV contracts and Arab/Oligarch/Billionaire money. The English clubs already destroyed the competitiveness of the Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, French and even German league by raiding all their clubs and youth systems for talent. Now these leagues have no product to offer the media companies and obtain TV contracts as big as the English. :P

30 European clubs with the the biggest net spend in last 5 years (2021):
- listed in order of highest to lowest spend.
- 16 English clubs, 5 Italian clubs, 4 German clubs, 4 Spanish clubs, 1 French club.
- Real Madrid is 30th, despite being the largest club in the world with the highest revenue.

1. Manchester City (€631m)
2. Manchester United (€586m)
3. Barcelona (€471m)
4. Paris Saint-Germain (€455m)
5. Inter (€386m)
6. Everton (€346m)
7. Aston Villa (€339m)
8. Milan (€311m)
9. Chelsea (€308m)
10. Arsenal (€299m)
11. Brighton (€259m)
12. Tottenham (€250m)
13. Wolves (€249m)
14. Juventus (€249m)
15. Fulham (€190m)
16. RB Leipzig (€176m)
17. West Ham (€171m)
18. Bayern Munich (€171m)
19. Napoli (€165m)
20. Parma (€158m)
21. Sheffield United (€134m)
22. Leicester City (€134m)
23. Liverpool (€129m)
24. Leeds United (€115m)
25. Hertha Berlin (€109m)
26. Wolfsburg (€108m)
27. Atletico Madrid (€104m)
28. Crystal Palace (€100m)
29. Sevilla (€92m)
30. Real Madrid (€91m)

All figures courtesy of CIES Football Observatory.

Source

100% this.

Not directed at Sgt Major specifically, but it's just funny how people keep repeating mantras from the 1980s. The Premier League and the oil clubs like PSG are massacring smaller leagues and they outspend other big leagues and clubs by a mile, yet you still keep hearing how Real Madrid must go down, how they bully the competition, and how Franco (who fortunately died 45 years ago :lol: ) bought them all those trophies, all because most of them don't even know how to spend the **** of money they get from TV deals and from the sheikhs and oligarchs pouring money non-stop into some of those clubs.

Actually they all did it, you are now just on the losing end of the same thing you were doing in the 80's and 90's to other leagues. When Steaua and Red Star Belgrade won the Cup of the Champions, the UEFA went to League of the champions just to ensure that rich western clubs are not threatened by the poorer eastern cubs. So now champions of smaller countries have to play playins to enter the league of the champions while second and sometimes third placed clubs of rich countries just enter to get there money. Well the thing continue to stratify further and English clubs and PSG are doing to Spanish, Italian and German clubs the same shoit they did to our clubs before. I do not care about any of this clubs I support my local club and as far as I am concerned all the clubs from top 5 leagues can burn in hell. Ayax or Benfica will never again be the champions of Europe not to mention eastern clubs, because money rules the game. If it happens that Bayern, Juve or Real do not get to be champions ever again in 20 years, I could not care less.

Even new rule changes are better for rich clubs and big nations. Having 6 possible changes in the game means that richer will have more ways to change the flow of the game, while poorer clubs or smaller countries will never have comparably strong benches. This will just again benefit the big , and different red stars, Ayaxes, Steauas, Benficas, Greeces, Croatias or Portugals will have even less chance to do something of value in this competitions.

So if you want more equality it works also for what you consider your feeder clubs, and not just a few big clubs from big leagues that have more and more problems to compete with English clubs. Introduce a reasonable salary cap for all (meaning smaller that what Real is spending at the moment). Decrease the number of second and third placed clubs in league of the champions for the champions of smaller countries (which would then suddenly get more sponsorship opportunities and became more relevant very fast). Without this, I do not care if your clubs go in a dustbin of historical greats, while not being able to compete financially with for instance Burnley. You brought that on yourself.

Seconded.

People should read about distribution of the TV rights money in Spain, for example. In England, each team gets the same, while in Spain Barcelona and Real take a massive chunk of that money and the rest of the league gets way less. Real created superteams 20 years ago, when they had Figo, Ronaldo, Beckham, Zidane, Casillas, Raul, Roberto Carlos etc, but now they cry because other teams have rich owners and throw money at their stars. Well **** off.

If Real, Barcelona, Bayern and Juventus never won anything again, that would be a huge win for football. PSG, City and the likes are just playing by the rules implemented by the teams that are now complaining.

And yes, Champions League is a joke, because it's actually full of teams that were 2nd, 3rd and 4th in their domestic leagues. It became so boring lately.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,337

Post#122 » by _qubik » Sun May 22, 2022 11:56 am

Bruin wrote:
azcatz11 wrote:Is this dude better than Ronaldo?

Current Ronaldo yes. Prime Ronaldo, no. He’s still just 23 though and is on pace to becoming GOAT. Deciding to stay in a weaker league for money probably knocks him off that path though sadly

Hell no, no chance to be goat, probably wont be the best in his own generation.

You cant be the best or taken seriously playing on France football, they arent on the same level as other leagues.
_qubik
Starter
And1: 1,337

Post#123 » by _qubik » Sun May 22, 2022 12:03 pm

Sgt Major wrote:
Stribor wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
100% this.

Not directed at Sgt Major specifically, but it's just funny how people keep repeating mantras from the 1980s. The Premier League and the oil clubs like PSG are massacring smaller leagues and they outspend other big leagues and clubs by a mile, yet you still keep hearing how Real Madrid must go down, how they bully the competition, and how Franco (who fortunately died 45 years ago :lol: ) bought them all those trophies, all because most of them don't even know how to spend the **** of money they get from TV deals and from the sheikhs and oligarchs pouring money non-stop into some of those clubs.

Actually they all did it, you are now just on the losing end of the same thing you were doing in the 80's and 90's to other leagues. When Steaua and Red Star Belgrade won the Cup of the Champions, the UEFA went to League of the champions just to ensure that rich western clubs are not threatened by the poorer eastern cubs. So now champions of smaller countries have to play playins to enter the league of the champions while second and sometimes third placed clubs of rich countries just enter to get there money. Well the thing continue to stratify further and English clubs and PSG are doing to Spanish, Italian and German clubs the same shoit they did to our clubs before. I do not care about any of this clubs I support my local club and as far as I am concerned all the clubs from top 5 leagues can burn in hell. Ayax or Benfica will never again be the champions of Europe not to mention eastern clubs, because money rules the game. If it happens that Bayern, Juve or Real do not get to be champions ever again in 20 years, I could not care less.

Even new rule changes are better for rich clubs and big nations. Having 6 possible changes in the game means that richer will have more ways to change the flow of the game, while poorer clubs or smaller countries will never have comparably strong benches. This will just again benefit the big , and different red stars, Ayaxes, Steauas, Benficas, Greeces, Croatias or Portugals will have even less chance to do something of value in this competitions.

So if you want more equality it works also for what you consider your feeder clubs, and not just a few big clubs from big leagues that have more and more problems to compete with English clubs. Introduce a reasonable salary cap for all (meaning smaller that what Real is spending at the moment). Decrease the number of second and third placed clubs in league of the champions for the champions of smaller countries (which would then suddenly get more sponsorship opportunities and became more relevant very fast). Without this, I do not care if your clubs go in a dustbin of historical greats, while not being able to compete financially with for instance Burnley. You brought that on yourself.

Seconded.

People should read about distribution of the TV rights money in Spain, for example. In England, each team gets the same, while in Spain Barcelona and Real take a massive chunk of that money and the rest of the league gets way less. Real created superteams 20 years ago, when they had Figo, Ronaldo, Beckham, Zidane, Casillas, Raul, Roberto Carlos etc, but now they cry because other teams have rich owners and throw money at their stars. Well **** off.

If Real, Barcelona, Bayern and Juventus never won anything again, that would be a huge win for football. PSG, City and the likes are just playing by the rules implemented by the teams that are now complaining.

And yes, Champions League is a joke, because it's actually full of teams that were 2nd, 3rd and 4th in their domestic leagues. It became so boring lately.

Real crying, you saying the team that won 13 champions leagues, with 6 more than the second place and 4 in the last 10 years ? Hahahaha

In the soccer world, we dont care so much about superteams like in NBA, theres much less narratives and this kind of thing. There are teams spending and buying all the stars every year, and year in, year out Real is relevant.

But I have to admit, its pretty hilarious to see PSG and Man City spending all the money and dont winning the UCL
JDR720
Forum Mod - Hornets
Forum Mod - Hornets
And1: 43,387

Post#124 » by JDR720 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:28 pm

This just shows that UEFA need to implement some kind of spending cap.

Germany is a 1 team league.
France is a 1 team league.
EPL is a 2-3 team league, at best. Probably trending to 1 team league with Haaland in MC.
Spain is a 2-3 team league, at best. Really more of a 2 team league.
Italy is probably a 3-4 team league.

This has been an issue for years and years, but now literal countries are funding the teams. Making the gaps even bigger.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 2,000

Post#125 » by Sugarless » Sun May 22, 2022 12:47 pm

timO wrote:if haaland was still be unsigned, they'll go all-in for him, now they only can count sheeps :lol:

Better yet. We can count trophies. The last of which we added just a couple weeks ago.

The ultra-wide lens is barely wide enough, and those are just UCLs (and former European Cups). :lol:
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,811

Post#126 » by Raps in 4 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:51 pm

Roscoe Sheed wrote:I still cannot understand the appeal of soccer- I've tried, but I just can't get into it. I've got friends who love it and think it is the best sport in the world, but I'd rather watch at least 6 other sports than soccer.

The sport itself is a lot of fun to watch. The major soccer leagues are all trash though (except for MLS, but their talent level sucks).

Imagine MLB, but without a draft, minor league system, pick compensation, or player control. European soccer is the wild west of sports. There are no rules to ensure competitive balance. It's just a competition of whose team owner can spend the most money. The best teams are owned by frivolous billionnaires and outspend the other teams in the league by several orders of magnitude. You have a handful of teams more stacked than the 2017-2019 Warriors playing against teams of plumbers and firefighters then celebrating when they finish first place in the league as if it's some monumental achievement that they haven't already achieved 30 times because there is no actual competition in their league (beyond the handful of other super rich teams).
JHFVF07
Rookie
And1: 896

Post#127 » by JHFVF07 » Sun May 22, 2022 12:55 pm

Sugarless wrote:
timO wrote:if haaland was still be unsigned, they'll go all-in for him, now they only can count sheeps :lol:

Better yet. We can count trophies. The last of which we added just a couple weeks ago.

The ultra-wide lens is barely wide enough, and those are just UCLs. :lol:

Sometimes you have to get your wins wherever you can, poor RM... :lol: :lol: :lol:
axeman23
Analyst
And1: 3,147

Post#128 » by axeman23 » Sun May 22, 2022 1:01 pm

Balls Deep wrote:
Wallace_Wallace wrote:I mean if there is no salary cap in Europe he should negotiate for anything he wants, has nothing to do with being a snake….especially if he’s staying on the same team (not like Figo from Barca to Madrid, Ashley Cole from Arsenal to Chelsea, etc).

He’s a snake for dragging Madrid on. He could have signed an extension with PSG last year, but milked it until the last second. Madrid could have made a serious move for Haaland if they knew this earlier, now he’s gone to Man City. They lost out on the two best prospects because of this mess. He also would have made a lot of money at Madrid because if endorsements. The amount of exposure that comes with wearing the white shirt is crazy. Now he’s back to dominating a scrub league. He chose money over greatness.

So, you wouldn't PER CHANCE, be a Madrid fan? You seem awfully invested in this... Seems like he done what most NBA fans critisize players for NOT doing: staying with the "small" market?
Sugarless
Starter

Post#129 » by Sugarless » Sun May 22, 2022 1:11 pm

Stribor wrote:
Sugarless wrote:
LAL1947 wrote:I think you have the wrong club, Real Madrid isn't doing anything.

It's the English clubs + PSG who are doing this to football.

Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico, Bayern, Dortmund and the Italian clubs are just trying to stay relevant and compete against their massive TV contracts and Arab/Oligarch/Billionaire money. The English clubs already destroyed the competitiveness of the Dutch, Portuguese, Italian, French and even German league by raiding all their clubs and youth systems for talent. Now these leagues have no product to offer the media companies and obtain TV contracts as big as the English. :P

30 European clubs with the the biggest net spend in last 5 years (2021):
- listed in order of highest to lowest spend.
- 16 English clubs, 5 Italian clubs, 4 German clubs, 4 Spanish clubs, 1 French club.
- Real Madrid is 30th, despite being the largest club in the world with the highest revenue.

1. Manchester City (€631m)
2. Manchester United (€586m)
3. Barcelona (€471m)
4. Paris Saint-Germain (€455m)
5. Inter (€386m)
6. Everton (€346m)
7. Aston Villa (€339m)
8. Milan (€311m)
9. Chelsea (€308m)
10. Arsenal (€299m)
11. Brighton (€259m)
12. Tottenham (€250m)
13. Wolves (€249m)
14. Juventus (€249m)
15. Fulham (€190m)
16. RB Leipzig (€176m)
17. West Ham (€171m)
18. Bayern Munich (€171m)
19. Napoli (€165m)
20. Parma (€158m)
21. Sheffield United (€134m)
22. Leicester City (€134m)
23. Liverpool (€129m)
24. Leeds United (€115m)
25. Hertha Berlin (€109m)
26. Wolfsburg (€108m)
27. Atletico Madrid (€104m)
28. Crystal Palace (€100m)
29. Sevilla (€92m)
30. Real Madrid (€91m)

All figures courtesy of CIES Football Observatory.

Source

100% this.

I'm all for more equality, so you have my blessing if you want to talk to UEFA about that. I also support my hometown club which is fighting relegation right now, and there's a lot to be said about revenue distribution in La Liga and other competitions. I won't be the one to advocate for more money for the top clubs or top leagues. But it's funny to watch people who don't really know their football history piss on other teams and repeat the same old mantras over and over. For instance, you talk about what Real Madrid did in the 80s and 90s, or not seeing top clubs like Real win in 20 years. Well, Real Madrid was in the **** for half of the 80s and most of the 90s despite the EC final in 81 and some UEFA Cup success in the late 80, and the club didn't win an EC / UCL for 32 years. Until 1998 there was a recurring joke in Spain from FCB and other team's fans saying how all our EC trophies were "in black and white" as people didn't have color TVs in the mid-60s when they had won their last. So, no, not everything has been stomping on other teams and leagues, and especially not from Real Madrid during that time.

PS: What UEFA did when it changed the format and branding to the UCL in the early 90s was simply about money. They figured the top clubs are the ones that drive more revenue and get them better TV deals, so they tried to milk them as much as possible. And the succeeded. Big time. I don't like it and I don't like what that means to smaller clubs and competitions (the same way I didn't like the Superleague project, I can be a Real Madrid fan and not be an ass to other fan bases) but that's how the world works and it's UEFA's doing in the first place, though of course it's beneficial to top leagues / teams as well.
Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,781

Post#130 » by Collymore » Sun May 22, 2022 1:13 pm

JDR720 wrote:This just shows that UEFA need to implement some kind of spending cap.

EPL is a 2-3 team league, at best. Probably trending to 1 team league with Haaland in MC.

This has been an issue for years and years, but now literal countries are funding the teams. Making the gaps even bigger.

Why is this an issue? Gimme proper dynasties instead of teams like Rayo Vallecano, Salernitana and Burnley winning the league.
Sugarless
Starter

Post#131 » by Sugarless » Sun May 22, 2022 1:21 pm

Dr Aki wrote:
antonac wrote:So Real Madrid don't get to bully the footballing world financially like they usually do and it's a big injustice? Lol

they're gonna try

la liga is suing psg

To be clear, that's not Real Madrid, that's La Liga president Javier Tebas, who needs to be on the news constantly. He and Florentino Pérez can't stand each other.
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#132 » by Raps in 4 » Sun May 22, 2022 1:49 pm

Collymore wrote:
JDR720 wrote:This just shows that UEFA need to implement some kind of spending cap.

Why is this an issue? Gimme proper dynasties instead of teams like Rayo Vallecano, Salernitana and Burnley winning the league.

Because none of those teams did anything to earn that status. They bought their way to the top. Or if they did "earn" their status, it happened a century ago, resulting in the team's value skyrocketing and then having an unlimited payroll since (since there are no competitive balance rules in European sports).

European sport isn't a competition. It's unchecked capitalism.

When a team in an American league becomes a dynasty it's because they draft and develop talent well in a league where every team has the same opportunities they do. That's impressive.

Having a dynasty because you can spend more on signing players than the rest of the league combined isn't impressive. It's a **** product for anyone but the fans of those few super rich teams.
Sgt Major
Head Coach
And1: 15,435

Post#133 » by Sgt Major » Sun May 22, 2022 2:05 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Collymore wrote:

Because none of those teams did anything to earn that status. They bought their way to the top. Or if they did "earn" their status, it happened a century ago, resulting in the team's value skyrocketing and then having an unlimited payroll since (since there are no competitive balance rules in European sports).

When a team in an American league becomes a dynasty it's because they draft and develop talent well in a league where every team has the same opportunities they do. That's impressive.

Having a dynasty because you can spend more on signing players than the rest of the league combined isn't impressive. It's a **** product for anyone but the fans of those few super rich teams.
Well that ain't true and you'd know that if you watched games in lower leagues, for example. In football everyone is fighting for something, unlike in the US.

And the most disgusting thing in sports - tanking, simply doesn't exist in football.
Det. Frank Pembleton: You know, sometimes you're funny. Then there's now.
Collymore
Starter
And1: 2,781

Post#134 » by Collymore » Sun May 22, 2022 2:09 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Collymore wrote:

Because none of those teams did anything to earn that status. They bought their way to the top. Or if they did, it happened a century ago.

US sport isn't a competition. It's unchecked socialism. Suck long enough and you can hardly avoid winning a title because poor performance is rewarded and building on strong performance is capped. What's the point of winning when everyone knows the "championship" is a participation trophy that everyone will get eventually if you play long enough?

A product with the leagues 12 best players assembled in the top two teams and the winner gets the first pick while the worst teams get kicked out of the league? I'm tuning in!
Raps in 4
RealGM

Post#135 » by Raps in 4 » Sun May 22, 2022 2:17 pm

Collymore wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Collymore wrote:Why is this an issue? Gimme proper dynasties instead of teams like Rayo Vallecano, Salernitana and Burnley winning the league.

Because none of those teams did anything to earn that status. They bought their way to the top. Or if they did, it happened a century ago.

US sport isn't a competition. It's unchecked socialism. Suck long enough and you can hardly avoid winning a title because poor performance is rewarded and building on strong performance is capped. What's the point of winning when everyone knows the "championship" is a participation trophy that everyone will get eventually if you play long enough?

A product with the leagues 12 best players assembled in the top two teams and the winner gets the first pick while the worst teams get kicked out of the league? I'm tuning in!

You're not watching the two best teams go at it though. You're just watching the two richest teams. They didn't need to do anything to become the best other than have the largest payrolls.

And a draft exists in American sports because it's the only way a bad team can become good. What other avenue does a team have to improve their talent level?
Sedale Threatt
RealGM
And1: 41,152

Post#136 » by Sedale Threatt » Sun May 22, 2022 2:28 pm

Collymore wrote:US sport isn't a competition. It's unchecked socialism. Suck long enough and you can hardly avoid winning a title because poor performance is rewarded and building on strong performance is capped.

As a Minnesota Vikings fan, I sincerely wish this was true. I’ll bet the Atlanta Hawks, Utah Jazz and Phoenix Suns fans I work with feel the same way. Alas…
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran
And1: 3,484

Post#137 » by Onlytimewilltel » Sun May 22, 2022 2:47 pm

This 100%. It’s a joke. What’s even the point when you know exactly which team in each league will win all the time basically.
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran

Post#138 » by Onlytimewilltel » Sun May 22, 2022 2:50 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Roscoe Sheed wrote:I still cannot understand the appeal of soccer- I've tried, but I just can't get into it. I've got friends who love it and think it is the best sport in the world, but I'd rather watch at least 6 other sports than soccer.

The sport itself is a lot of fun to watch. The major soccer leagues are all trash though (except for MLS, but their talent level sucks).

Imagine MLB, but without a draft, minor league system, pick compensation, or player control. European soccer is the wild west of sports. There are no rules to ensure competitive balance. It's just a competition of whose team owner can spend the most money. The best teams are owned by frivolous billionnaires and outspend the other teams in the league by several orders of magnitude. You have a handful of teams more stacked than the 2017-2019 Warriors playing against teams of plumbers and firefighters then celebrating when they finish first place in the league as if it's some monumental achievement that they haven't already achieved 30 times because there is no actual competition in their league (beyond the handful of other super rich teams).

Exactly this! It’s a joke. Oh yea, Bayern won the Bundes league!! PSG won league 1…. Etc. What an accomplishment!! :lol: :lol:
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran

Post#139 » by Onlytimewilltel » Sun May 22, 2022 2:54 pm

Raps in 4 wrote:
Collymore wrote:

Facts
Onlytimewilltel
Veteran

Post#140 » by Onlytimewilltel » Sun May 22, 2022 3:02 pm

Collymore wrote:
Raps in 4 wrote:
Collymore wrote:Why is this an issue? Gimme proper dynasties instead of teams like Rayo Vallecano, Salernitana and Burnley winning the league.

:lol: :lol:

Return to The General Soccer Board