Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread II

Moderators: kdawg32086, magik9113

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,659

Re: Official Tottenham Hotspur Thread II 

Post#21 » by Baphomet » Wed Mar 15, 2023 10:33 pm

Just wanted to add that Oliver Skipp looks like he could be developing into a nice player.

I'm not going to go crazy and overhype him or anything, but I think he's clearly a cut above other recent Spurs central midfield prospects such as Mason, Bentaleb and Winks, not that the bar is particularly high with those.

Will hopefully be a contributor for a while, going forward.
SgtPepper
Junior
And1: 145

Post#22 » by SgtPepper » Sun Mar 26, 2023 11:59 pm

Congrats on the Conte sack. Let's see if things get any better in the next 6-12 months...
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#23 » by Baphomet » Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:47 pm

SgtPepper wrote:Congrats on the Conte sack. Let's see if things get any better in the next 6-12 months...

They likely won't in the short term, but the club needs to move on and start building towards something more sustainable, and Conte was basically a last roll of the dice for this incarnation of the club aka the Kane/Son era. It's difficult to back a manager that won't commit his long-term future to the club, and the on pitch product was utterly putrid, so he had to go. Will likely be a painful process and we will probably not make the CL again for a while.

Poch has already overseen a rebuild at the club starting in 2015, where he successfully moved on the club's deadwood, incorporated his style of play, and figured out how to get the most out of the talented players that were already there (such as Walker, Kane, Dembele and Eriksen). Not sure whether he has another in him. Nagelsmann would probably be well suited to this kind of task, but he will have better clubs and offers waiting for him in the summer. I don't know enough about Luis Enrique or Glasner to weigh in on them, or if they'd even be interested.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#24 » by SgtPepper » Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:29 am

Strategically Levy should have committed to one path of either a sustainable project in the Europa's (and hired domestic managers) or winning titles 3 years ago. He hedged too far between these and then kept disenfranchising managers hired for competitiveness. Speaking of the sustainable Pocch path, remember Levy sacked him apropos nothing beyond early form dip before.

Levy's been good to club fans, but from a coaching pov Levy presents as an unreliable boss with no consistent sporting priorities or cultural biases. How could a manager commit loyalty or a long-term future to that?

Luis Enrique is worse than Mou and Conte as a tactician, is almost as controversial as them, and overall more of a gangster than any recent Spurs coach. I've never been a Spain NT fan but most of my la liga fan friends and I thought he made very nepotistic selections which undid them (like Eric Garcia and Sergi Roberto). He also oversaw Barca's highest scoring CL knockout with a pretty luxury squad.
wco81
RealGM
And1: 9,321

Post#25 » by wco81 » Sat Apr 1, 2023 5:08 pm

I found this coat, the same one Conte wore this past season, on the Spurs official online store.

https://shop.tottenhamhotspur.com/spurs-mens-nike-pr-padded-longer-bench-coat-2022/23/dr1040-010

They were advertising it as the same coat that Antonio Conte wore on the sidelines of Spurs matches.

Now they've removed his name but the price is still the same. :(

I don't mind the Spurs logo, even though I'm not a supporter. But Getir is some kind of gambling company aren't they?
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#26 » by SgtPepper » Wed May 10, 2023 1:32 pm

What are the odds on the Nagelsmann rumors being vapor? I can't imagine a continental manager joining a side not starting in Europe altogether with a title-allergic board at that. The manager candidates would have more leverage than the club at this point and it would be in their interest to defer discussions till the league season is over.
Baseline81
Starter
And1: 1,413

Post#27 » by Baseline81 » Wed May 10, 2023 1:40 pm

SgtPepper wrote:What are the odds on the Nagelsmann rumors being vapor? I can't imagine a continental manager joining a side not starting in Europe altogether with a title-allergic board at that. The manager candidates would have more leverage than the club at this point and it would be in their interest to defer discussions till the league season is over.

Levi has managed to convince Mourinho and Conte under similar circumstances. With that said, I do not see Nagelsmann at Tottenham.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#28 » by Baphomet » Wed May 10, 2023 3:47 pm

SgtPepper wrote:What are the odds on the Nagelsmann rumors being vapor? I can't imagine a continental manager joining a side not starting in Europe altogether with a title-allergic board at that. The manager candidates would have more leverage than the club at this point and it would be in their interest to defer discussions till the league season is over.

I'm not sure why either, but the rumours aren't vapour, there are strong sources like David Ornstein, Fabrizio Romano and various German sources close to Nagelsmann all confirming that the club has held talks with him over the last week or so. However the prevailing stance is that, while he's interested in the job, Nagelsmann's party isn't interested in the talks advancing to the final stages until he's had assurances about the club's structure (possibly European qualification as well, but that's not been mentioned), specifically the Director of Football role. Our outgoing director Fabio Paratici was of course a key player in Juventus's books fiddling scandal in recent years and he's received a ban from FIFA for his sins, so there's currently an opening. There's also the issue of paying off Bayern, as I believe Nagelsmann is still on garden leave and a fee would be required for his services.

The rumour mill, if it's to be believed, suggests that Spurs have contacted a fellow with backroom experience in the Bundesliga by the name of Johannes Spors over the DOF vacancy, which would strongly point to the above being true, but it's less credible sources reporting this.

Oddly, Ralf Rangnick of all people, Nagelsmann's former mentor, has been publically lobbying for JN to get the job on German TV, and had some words of praise for Spurs when most everyone else has understandably been critical of them.

I don't think it's outside the realm of possibility at all, but on the flipside I wouldn't be surprised if talks broke down, as well. We just have to wait and see how it pans out.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#29 » by Baseline81 » Fri May 12, 2023 5:40 pm

Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by Baphomet » Fri May 12, 2023 6:16 pm

I don't really understand, are Spurs not willing to hire a new DOF? Feels like a missed opportunity to develop some actual structure at the club to me, but okay. The sources seem unclear as to whether we turned him down, or vice versa.

I wonder where he'll go.
SgtPepper
Junior

Post#31 » by SgtPepper » Fri May 12, 2023 8:56 pm

No, it's all club spin for Nagelsmann rejecting them likely for the mundane but important reasons I already mentioned. Spurs needs a football person among the leadership anyways given Levy's and the board's shortcomings but from a manager's pov it wouldn't matter much.

If Madrid get ko'ed in the CL I think it's probable Ancelotti gets sacked and Nags gets a shot. PSG will likely change manager in the summer too.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by Baphomet » Sat May 13, 2023 10:16 pm

I quite like the look of Xabi Alonso as a coach. Seems to have excellent tactical nous and leadership qualities, from the few matches I've seen of his Leverkusen side, and we've seen how astute he was as a player. Coaches' Voice did a really good breakdown of his tactics:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/xabi-alonso-tactics-bayer-leverkusen-2022-23/

With the Spurs situation being what it is at the moment, he will probably not see it as a good place to continue to develop as a coach. The brass is interested though, if reports are to be believed.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#33 » by Baseline81 » Sat May 13, 2023 11:29 pm

Baphomet wrote:I quite like the look of Xabi Alonso as a coach. Seems to have excellent tactical nous and leadership qualities, from the few matches I've seen of his Leverkusen side, and we've seen how astute he was as a player. Coaches' Voice did a really good breakdown of his tactics:

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/xabi-alonso-tactics-bayer-leverkusen-2022-23/

With the Spurs situation being what it is at the moment, he will probably not see it as a good place to continue to develop as a coach. The brass is interested though, if reports are to be believed.

If Alonso wants to be a top manager, he needs to resist temptation, neither Gerrard nor Lampard could do, and stay where he is to hone his craft.

Spurs are a poisoned chalice.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#34 » by HIF » Sun May 14, 2023 12:56 pm

So what do you think about Poch now that his move to Chelsea is confirmed?

I guess it's your own fault, after all he was yours and you sacked him.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#35 » by Baphomet » Sun May 14, 2023 4:00 pm

HIF wrote:So what do you think about Poch now that his move to Chelsea is confirmed?

I guess it's your own fault, after all he was yours and you sacked him.

I'm honestly not that bothered. Chelsea are ****.
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by Baphomet » Sun May 14, 2023 4:03 pm

Baseline81 wrote:If Alonso wants to be a top manager, he needs to resist temptation, neither Gerrard nor Lampard could do, and stay where he is to hone his craft.

Spurs are a poisoned chalice.

Okay, well we should just give up looking for an up-and-coming manager and get Tony Pulis instead then. But in all seriousness, it looks like it could actually be Arne Slot from Feyenoord. Just wanted to draw attention to what Alonso's doing in the Bundesliga and Europe, I'm sure a lot of clubs are taking notice.

I suppose Liverpool will feel entitled, as they typically do, to get Xabi Alonso if his managerial star continues to rise as a potential Klopp successor.

Who do you think Spurs should try and get as manager?
Baseline81
Starter

Post#37 » by Baseline81 » Sun May 14, 2023 5:59 pm

Baphomet wrote:Okay, well we should just give up looking for an up-and-coming manager and get Tony Pulis instead then. But in all seriousness, it looks like it could actually be Arne Slot from Feyenoord. Just wanted to draw attention to what Alonso's doing in the Bundesliga and Europe, I'm sure a lot of clubs are taking notice.

I suppose Liverpool will feel entitled, as they typically do, to get Xabi Alonso if his managerial star continues to rise as a potential Klopp successor.

I'm not saying you shouldn't strive for someone, but you, and other Tottenham fans, should be a little more realistic.

Your club is in disarray. Not only are the Spurs outside the top-6 but also aren't one to spend big. Kane is already being linked to a move away. Son and Lloris are aging, not to mention other areas of the pitch needing improvement.

Other than a quick payday, why would Alonso want to make such a move?
Baphomet
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by Baphomet » Sun May 14, 2023 6:24 pm

Baseline81 wrote:I'm not saying you shouldn't strive for someone, but you, and other Tottenham fans, should be a little more realistic.

Your club is in disarray. Not only are the Spurs outside the top-6 but also aren't one to spend big. Kane is already being linked to a move away. Son and Lloris are aging, not to mention other areas of the pitch needing improvement.

It isn't unrealistic at all, though. We're talking about someone who has been a top flight coach for 7 months, not Pep Guardiola. For a club like Spurs, the ideal time to target young managers who have shown great tactical potential (ie. not Lampard or Gerrard) is taking a risk when they're in the genesis of their careers, before the bigger guns like Real, Barca, United, City, etc. take notice. This current era for Spurs with Kane, Son, Lloris is, as you noted, all but finished, but that presents an opportunity for a manager to bring the club forward into a new era and make their mark. That, combined with the best stadium and training facilities in England, will be appealing to many managers. Expectations were high, perhaps too high, for Jose and Conte. That won't be the case for the next manager, the fans will get behind someone that can helm a refresh of the team and play attractive football, and at least be competitive every week, as Pochettino achieved in 2015.

Alonso's motivations may be different and you may be correct, but we can only really speculate.

It's not that I disagree with yours and SgtPepper's criticisms at all, they're all fair. Spurs definitely need squad investment to be able to compete for CL football again and there are some deeper issues at the board level. But I think it's disingenuous to suggest that there's no appeal for coaches beyond a pay cheque.
Baseline81
Starter

Post#39 » by Baseline81 » Sun May 14, 2023 6:50 pm

Baphomet wrote:It isn't unrealistic at all, though. We're talking about someone who has been a top flight coach for 7 months, not Pep Guardiola. For a club like Spurs, the ideal time to target young managers who have shown great tactical potential (ie. not Lampard or Gerrard) is taking a risk when they're in the genesis of their careers, before the bigger guns like Real, Barca, United, City, etc. take notice. This current era for Spurs with Kane, Son, Lloris is, as you noted, all but finished, but that presents an opportunity for a manager to bring the club forward into a new era and make their mark. That, combined with the best stadium and training facilities in England, will be appealing to many managers. Expectations were high, perhaps too high, for Jose and Conte. That won't be the case for the next manager, the fans will get behind someone that can helm a refresh of the team and play attractive football, and at least be competitive every week, as Pochettino achieved in 2015.

Alonso's motivations may be different and you may be correct, but we can only really speculate.

It's not that I disagree with yours and SgtPepper's criticisms at all, they're all fair. Spurs definitely need squad investment to be able to compete for CL football again and there are some deeper issues at the board level. But I think it's disingenuous to suggest that there's no appeal for coaches beyond a pay cheque.

That is precisely my point. It's too quick of a move for Alonso. Again, I apologize for continuing to bring up someone like Lampard, who had a lone successful season at Derby before jumping to Chelsea.

Speaking of Pochettino, he began his managerial role in La Liga for a few years prior to his time with Southampton.
HIF
RealGM
And1: 6,854

Post#40 » by HIF » Sun May 14, 2023 7:01 pm

Baseline81 wrote:
Baphomet wrote:Okay, well we should just give up looking for an up-and-coming manager and get Tony Pulis instead then. But in all seriousness, it looks like it could actually be Arne Slot from Feyenoord. Just wanted to draw attention to what Alonso's doing in the Bundesliga and Europe, I'm sure a lot of clubs are taking notice.

I'm not saying you shouldn't strive for someone, but you, and other Tottenham fans, should be a little more realistic.

You seem to be talking crap.

Spurs are a BIG club, one of the biggest in the world. They play in the best league in the world and they play in Europe. They will get a top manager and you can go back to using Lampard as your only example to try and put down English football.
I remember when the Dolphins were perennial contenders

Only Fans are Heatlifers. I am a Heatlifer :banghead:

Return to The General Soccer Board